2022 Fall Pick

TaylorTank1229

New bus changes going into effect on the week of August 21st (Website links below under each route):

#3 - King Drive: Buses are no longer terminating at Chicago State University (95th/St. Lawrence). South terminus point will now be relocated for buses to end at 95th/State (95th/Dan Ryan Red Line Station) via 95th, Michigan, 99th, and State.

(https://www.transitchicago.com/travel-information/alert-detail/?AlertId=86815)

#X4 - Cottage Grove Express: New express bus service along the Cottage Grove corridor, serving between Chicago State University (95th/St. Lawrence) & downtown, the Illinois Center (Randolph/Columbus). Service will run on during weekday rush hours in both directions, making limited stops along the route south of Michigan/Roosevelt.

**The alert will be found under the #4 local.

(https://www.transitchicago.com/travel-information/alert-detail/?AlertId=86818)

#152 - Addison: Service on Sundays/Holidays will be extended to end 2 hours later, with the last eastbound bus to Lake Shore departing Cumberland at 9:25p, and the last westbound bus to Cumberland departing Lake Shore at 10:20p

(https://www.transitchicago.com/travel-information/alert-detail/?AlertId=86837)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

New bus changes going into effect on the week of August 21st (Website links below under each route):

#3 - King Drive: Buses are no longer terminating at Chicago State University (95th/St. Lawrence). South terminus point will now be relocated for buses to end at 95th/State (95th/Dan Ryan Red Line Station) via 95th, Michigan, 99th, and State.

#X4 - Cottage Grove Express: New express bus service along the Cottage Grove corridor, serving between Chicago State University (95th/St. Lawrence) & downtown, the Illinois Center (Randolph/Columbus). Service will run on during weekday rush hours in both directions, making limited stops along the route south of Michigan/Roosevelt.

#152 - Addison: Service on Sundays/Holidays will be extended to end 2 hours later, with the last eastbound bus to Lake Shore departing Cumberland at 9:25p, and the last westbound bus to Cumberland departing Lake Shore at 10:20p

They finally came to their senses and extended service on the 152 Addison on Sundays/Holidays. I wonder if down the line service could be extended later to 1230am or 100am because its always customers getting off the Addison Red Line asking about later service. 

Edited by renardo870
Added additional info

22 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

The map seems to suggest the loop is Michigan, 98th, Wabash, State, 95th. 99th does not run east of Michigan, it becomes Wabash and would be a 270 degree turn!

Seems CTA didn't bother with an advanced timetable page this time around. Most of the changes are likely school trip related.

I compared the new 67 and old 67 timetables and it seems the change is the extension of the early/late trips from 71st & Pulaski to Ford City.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

Seems CTA didn't bother with an advanced timetable page this time around. Most of the changes are likely school trip related.

I compared the new 67 and old 67 timetables and it seems the change is the extension of the early/late trips from 71st & Pulaski to Ford City.

Speaking of school trips, it appears that they dropped the 82 morning school trips between Congress and Peterson.

19 hours ago, sht6131 said:

Could be both. Maybe Shannon knows. He is at Kedzie and he has worked 82.

According to the schedule available to the public it appeared there was none. However one did show up this morning 82-225. Last year there were four on the schedule so either CTA dropped three or as artthouwill suggested , there is a staff shortage.

5 hours ago, sht6131 said:

According to the schedule available to the public it appeared there was none. However one did show up this morning 82-225. Last year there were four on the schedule so either CTA dropped three or as artthouwill suggested , there is a staff shortage.

A lot of school trippers and regular trippers in general are available but the problem is manpower to cover them with a good chunk of PTOs transitioning to FTOs and then the remaining PTO runs or trippers now are just laying in the wind waiting to get picked up by the FTOs willing to work some OT on there day off. Some may do it depending on when there full run ends but most aren't worth working. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

A lot of school trippers and regular trippers in general are available but the problem is manpower to cover them with a good chunk of PTOs transitioning to FTOs and then the remaining PTO runs or trippers now are just laying in the wind waiting to get picked up by the FTOs willing to work some OT on there day off. Some may do it depending on when there full run ends but most aren't worth working. 

I hear ya and thanks for responding. When I worked for CTA in the 60`s run numbers were simply either day, split or evening`s. Split numbers were between the day and evenings and were in numerical order. Owl service number`s came after the last evening number. Presently the run numbers that`s available to the public I understand are numbers assigned to the bus, not the driver.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sht6131 said:

I hear ya and thanks for responding. When I worked for CTA in the 60`s run numbers were simply either day, split or evening`s. Split numbers were between the day and evenings and were in numerical order. Owl service number`s came after the last evening number. Presently the run numbers that`s available to the public I understand are numbers assigned to the bus, not the driver.

Just an afterthought. The above is very similar to the Rapid Transit run arrangement on the CTA map tracker.

14 hours ago, renardo870 said:

Looks like the 171 and 172 University of Chicago Hyde Park & Kenwood routes only runs Mondays through Saturday. No Sunday service provided by CTA as part of the Fall 2022 Pick.

171 Sunday service was withdrawn 6/14/2020. 172 still has a Sunday service on the new timetable dated 8/22/2022.

• Thanks 1

I also didn’t realize at first, but the routing map on the #4’s updated schedule brochure shows 95th trips ending at not Chicago State University, but at 95th/Cottage Grove, via 93rd, Woodlawn, 95th, back northbound on Cottage. Like wasn’t that how it gonna be for the X4, before deciding to having the south terminus point be at CSU?

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/bus-tt_4.pdf

26 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

I also didn’t realize at first, but the routing map on the #4’s updated schedule brochure shows 95th trips ending at not Chicago State University, but at 95th/Cottage Grove, via 93rd, Woodlawn, 95th, back northbound on Cottage. Like wasn’t that how it gonna be for the X4, before deciding to having the south terminus point be at CSU?

According to the CTA Bus tracker they are still using CSU. 7918 is there now.

image.thumb.png.bf67122891e8ecc70a14c8b077e6a337.png

4 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

4 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

According to the CTA Bus tracker they are still using CSU. 7918 is there now.

image.thumb.png.bf67122891e8ecc70a14c8b077e6a337.png

From earlier discussions, apparently that was originally going to be the case but CSU gave CTA a reprieve until at least November after which time they want CTA's buses gone from the campus lots. Until then, the 4 and X4 buses will still end there. That's why the Initial maps CTA presented for X4, when the announcement was made that the route was returning, had this same looped routing until it was announced the X4 would also end at Chicago State.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 12:12 PM, sht6131 said:

There are two numbers involved. A bus has a "train number" in the order buses pull out with number based on where the bus spends the majority of the day, even if the bus goes on 5 or 6 routes in the course of the day.

The other number is the "run number", based on where the driver spends the largest portion of the day, again regardless of how many routes are involved. There are three groups of numbers for each route: Regular runs (straight or split, under 10 hours), trippers (under 8 hours weekdays, any run intended to be worked by part timers on weekends regardless of lenght) and Block runs, over 10 hours in lenght, only pickable as four day pre-connected groups considered a full week's work. FTs can pick regular or block runs, PT only trippers.

Additionally - run numbers are always in quit order, opposite to train numbers. Back in the 1980s, until Schedule Dept figured it out, trippers were first numbered in start time order, then odd AM, even PM, finally in standard quit time order.

Surface Lines and CTA originally had owls as the FIRST work of the day, changed to last work of the day sometime in 1950s.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Decided to finally return to the forums after being off of here for several years (I was previously under the account Buslover88, but I can't get into that account anymore ?).

I wanted to inquire about a situation in particular on #76 Diversey that I have noticed beginning the Fall 2022 pick. I have noticed that every weekday since the beginning of the pick, there are a couple of westbound runs that only operate to Central Ave. around 3:00pm in the afternoon. I can never get the run numbers because they always have them as "FD" which I believe means the bus is deadheading back to Forest Glen. I know seeing "FD" runs are not uncommon, especially given the operators shortage that really became prevalent last year, and I have heard that this is because there is no relief for those operators when it's time for them to go to lunch so they pull the bus out of service so the driver can take lunch. I guess I am just wondering why that this has become a daily occurrence on #76. It is like clockwork. One of the runs comes through my area near Diversey and Pulaski around 2:50pm usually, and the other one is around 3:05pm-3:10pm. It is not on the schedules, and I have lived along this route for over 25 years, so I have never seen buses pullin this early in the day.

Appreciate any light that can be shed on this, and also curious to know if this is something perhaps other routes see habitually as well. Thanks!