Busjack Posted August 15, 2014 Report Posted August 15, 2014 Wow. CTA's work bus fleet is down to only two, and the two Novas that became work buses at that? That's quite a difference from how many work buses (ones that actually move that is and not used as storage sheds and the like ) they used to operate in the past. As noted in the press releases, it appears that a lot more work is being contracted out. For instance, we thought that CTA was working on the Armitage-Merchandise Mart segment, but apparently it was only the ironworkers, as a contract was just issued for the track work. Quote
andrethebusman Posted August 15, 2014 Report Posted August 15, 2014 As noted in the press releases, it appears that a lot more work is being contracted out. For instance, we thought that CTA was working on the Armitage-Merchandise Mart segment, but apparently it was only the ironworkers, as a contract was just issued for the track work. A lot of what work buses were used for (such as street salting) was taken over by trucks. CTA eventually figured out that old buses are a lot harder to keep running than newer trucks. 1 Quote
Busjack Posted October 21, 2015 Report Posted October 21, 2015 That's come up before. And do you have permission to post the picture? Quote
Guest Posted December 18, 2015 Report Posted December 18, 2015 If anyone is interested in seeing one of the last operating CTA Flxible #6000s It will be out at St Rita today at 77th/Western for the funeral of the Chicago Firefighter. Quote
mel bernero Posted April 23, 2017 Report Posted April 23, 2017 Saw this parked at the Fire Academy on Friday. 4 Quote
YoungBusLover Posted May 7, 2017 Report Posted May 7, 2017 On 4/22/2017 at 8:19 PM, mel bernero said: Saw this parked at the Fire Academy on Friday. I really hope #6163 finds a home other than the scrapper soon after its time with the CFD. 2 Quote
Bus1517 Posted December 9, 2025 Report Posted December 9, 2025 Any remaining flxibles at 77th garage scrapyard? Quote
Bus1883 Posted December 10, 2025 Report Posted December 10, 2025 4 hours ago, Bus1517 said: Any remaining flxibles at 77th garage scrapyard? 6031,6095,6163,6220,6227 ex-Work bus aka 6274 are still there along with the rest of the handful, I can’t confirm the number of the rest. @YoungBusLovercan confirm. Quote
YoungBusLover Posted December 10, 2025 Report Posted December 10, 2025 On 12/9/2025 at 8:06 PM, Bus1883 said: 6031,6095,6163,6220,6227 ex-Work bus aka 6274 are still there along with the rest of the handful, I can’t confirm the number of the rest. @YoungBusLovercan confirm. #5454, #5643, #5678, #6029, #6031,#6043 ? #6095,#6120, #6163, #6195 ? #6204, #6220, #6227, & #6246 are the last remaining Flxibles at SS. #6163 is in the best shape out of all of them. #5678 is a close second minus the dead motor. The rest are scrap hauls at this point with no point of return. 2 1 Quote
Bus1517 Posted December 10, 2025 Report Posted December 10, 2025 3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said: #5454, #5643, #5678, #6029, #6031,#6043 ? #6095,#6120, #6163, #6195 ? #6220, #6227, & #6246 are the last remaining Flxibles at SS. #6163 is in the best shape out of all of them. #5678 is a close second minus the dead motor. The rest are scrap hauls at this point with no point of return. Thanks, also I feel bad for 5454 in bad shape, hopefully they can preserve one flxible metro Quote
Bus1883 Posted December 10, 2025 Report Posted December 10, 2025 1 hour ago, Bus1517 said: Thanks, also I feel bad for 5454 in bad shape, hopefully they can preserve one flxible metro Hopefully 6163 avoids the scrapper as of now its status is unknown. Every other Flxible is decomposed Quote
YoungBusLover Posted December 10, 2025 Report Posted December 10, 2025 Just now, Bus1883 said: Hopefully 6163 avoids the scrapper as of now its status is unknown. Every other Flxible is decomposed #6163 Honestly has the best shot to get some long overdue TLC. 1 Quote
Bus1517 Posted December 10, 2025 Report Posted December 10, 2025 3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said: #6163 Honestly has the best shot to get some long overdue TLC. One question, how did 6095 managed to get the flxible metro b rims? Quote
Bus1883 Posted December 11, 2025 Report Posted December 11, 2025 21 hours ago, Bus1517 said: One question, how did 6095 managed to get the flxible metro b rims? They both were just about the same thing part wise. Quote
Bus1517 Posted December 12, 2025 Report Posted December 12, 2025 On 12/10/2025 at 8:07 AM, YoungBusLover said: #5454, #5643, #5678, #6029, #6031,#6043 ? #6095,#6120, #6163, #6195 ? #6220, #6227, & #6246 are the last remaining Flxibles at SS. #6163 is in the best shape out of all of them. #5678 is a close second minus the dead motor. The rest are scrap hauls at this point with no point of return. Don’t forget 6149 and 6186, which they are on 130th and Stoney island on the far south side. Quote
YoungBusLover Posted December 12, 2025 Report Posted December 12, 2025 1 hour ago, Bus1517 said: Don’t forget 6149 and 6186, which they are on 130th and Stoney island on the far south side. Those two are salvageable despite the terrible owner they had for over a decade. It would cost at least $100,000+ each to get them running again. Quote
Busjack Posted December 12, 2025 Report Posted December 12, 2025 12 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said: Those two are salvageable despite the terrible owner they had for over a decade. It would cost at least $100,000+ each to get them running again. I take it from what you said, they aren't CTA property? Quote
YoungBusLover Posted December 12, 2025 Report Posted December 12, 2025 11 hours ago, Busjack said: I take it from what you said, they aren't CTA property? Yessir, #6149 and #6186 are currently located at 130th just east of the Bishop Ford in a storage yard. How they got moved from 106th and Torrence would be a tow as my best guess. The owner if they're still around has not done anything with those buses since they purchased them. As far as #6163 is concerned I have a strong feeling that SS will do something positive with it. Heritage fleet full of 3 generations of Flxibles has a nice ring to it minus the cost it would take to get it up and running again if the money is allocated for it. Quote
andrethebusman Posted January 18 Report Posted January 18 On 12/10/2025 at 11:32 AM, Bus1883 said: Hopefully 6163 avoids the scrapper as of now its status is unknown. Every other Flxible is decomposed After as long as 17 years in storage, which is longer than in service. What old work buses still sitting around at 77th, by the way? Quote
Mr.cta85 Posted January 18 Report Posted January 18 On 12/10/2025 at 8:07 AM, YoungBusLover said: #5454, #5643, #5678, #6029, #6031,#6043 ? #6095,#6120, #6163, #6195 ? #6204, #6220, #6227, & #6246 are the last remaining Flxibles at SS. #6163 is in the best shape out of all of them. #5678 is a close second minus the dead motor. The rest are scrap hauls at this point with no point of return. I wonder if I’m in full uniform could I go back there without no hassle? I always wanted to see if I can go inside those buses and sit in the driver seat and to take a pic. 6000 series are my favorite buses and I hate till this day I wasn’t able to operate one of them cause they were 2yrs retired time I came on board in 2012 😔. Quote
YoungBusLover Posted January 18 Report Posted January 18 5 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said: I wonder if I’m in full uniform could I go back there without no hassle? I always wanted to see if I can go inside those buses and sit in the driver seat and to take a pic. 6000 series are my favorite buses and I hate till this day I wasn’t able to operate one of them cause they were 2yrs retired time I came on board in 2012 😔. Trust me they are gutted dusty rusted out relics of the past. Almost every single one back there minus 6163 are just junky and dusty. I've gone back there from time to time. As long as you don't touch or take anything from there you should be able to go back there. There's a lot dead forestry back there so be mindful of that. 1 Quote
Mr.cta85 Posted January 18 Report Posted January 18 5 hours ago, YoungBusLover said: Trust me they are gutted dusty rusted out relics of the past. Almost every single one back there minus 6163 are just junky and dusty. I've gone back there from time to time. As long as you don't touch or take anything from there you should be able to go back there. There's a lot dead forestry back there so be mindful of that. I’ll keep that in mind and thanks. I just wanna sit in the driver seat just one time so I can get a view point from the drivers area on what it would be like for me to operate those dope classic buses lol. I’ll try to go soon. 2 Quote
YoungBusLover Posted May 9 Report Posted May 9 Looks like CTA and IRM have come to an agreement in regards to ownership rights of #6163. The bus will soon be the newest edition to there Heritage bus fleet. I'm really surprised CTA didn't want to add it to there Heritage fleet. 1 Quote
Bus1883 Posted May 10 Report Posted May 10 6 hours ago, YoungBusLover said: Looks like CTA and IRM have come to an agreement in regards to ownership rights of #6163. The bus will soon be the newest edition to there Heritage bus fleet. I'm really surprised CTA didn't want to add to there Heritage fleet. I’d always imagined that IRM is gonna get a flexible. Wish they can fix up #5678 and give it to them as well and give them a 6400 too Quote
jtrussel Posted May 10 Report Posted May 10 While its would of been nice to have 6163 as part of The heritage fleet at CTA, there might of not been many volunteers to do the work or money like what's been done to the 60s model busses they have now. I wish cta was like new York they bring out and place in service their old school busses every year around Christmas. They also have a model bus from every decade starting from the 60s to the 90s in their historical fleet. CTA as we know only has 3 60s era busses in its fleet. It would of been nice to have a 70s era fishbowl a 80era flyer or MAN. 90s era flxible TMC etc ,but on a good note at least 6163 will get some much needed TLC hopefully I will see it at IRM soon and would love to drive it. I have a class A and those 6000s were my favorite childhood bus 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.