6000-series Flxible - Retirements

BusHunter

When I visited Chicago about 4 or 5 years ago, some RTS's appeared on the #8 as some old Flex's pre-deceased them (#8 assigned to a different barn back then). I asked the B/O what she thought of the "TMCs". She said the peddles are hard to push down and she got ankle and knee pains from driving them.

When I visited Chicago about 4 or 5 years ago, some RTS's appeared on the #8 as some old Flex's pre-deceased them (#8 assigned to a different barn back then). I asked the B/O what she thought of the "TMCs". She said the peddles are hard to push down and she got ankle and knee pains from driving them.

At the time, the #8 was operated entirely out of 74th. Compare this to today, when most weekday runs and all weekend runs on the #8 are now out of Kedzie (74th still handles some weekday runs on the #8).

And 74th was never officially assigned any 5300-series Flxibles. That garage did have many of the later 6000-series Flxibles.

What is the consensus: was the RTS of Flexible a better or more durable bus ?

I think the 5300 and 6000 Flx's ride and style were better than TMC's. From across the street, the sight and smooth sound of the bus (especially the 5300s) powering from a stop, moving through the intersection, into traffic and down the street (the exhaust pipe cover blown straight up) was impressive to me. Speed was never a factor. TMCs on the other hand were a little louder but were very fast off the line when they were new. They also had THE loudest brakes of any Chicago bus series I know of. Flxs developed roof leakage early on and because of its contruction, body work and repair was more difficult than TMCs.

From the standpoint of buses seen broken down on the street, Flxible loses. Age was not good to either bus type, but TMCs seemed to me to have a better overall body frame. And so, I must reluctantly vote TMC the more durable bus.

IMO, All CTA buses as well as the early transit operators, whether double deckers, 5000s, 1600s, 9800s, 4000s, 6000s, 5300s, they were all workhorses. Every public transit vehicle/trains since the beginning of public transit in Chicago, even the horse drawn carriages from the early days, they all did the donkeywork throughout all parts of the city. Public transit in Chicago is serious business. Driving a CTA bus or operating a rapid transit train here in our city is not for everybody! You have to have it in you! It takes a special kind of individual to be a transit operator in this city. Transit is what made Chicago! We all know without public transit our cities would be nothing! :)

Speaking of donkey work or donkey excrement, there were the 7500s. :angry::lol:

You know despite their very short life at CTA, they too were out there "doing it!" Very, very sad, I really liked the design of that bus. Too bad for their poor quality.

• 1 month later...

Apparently I have started a firestorm with my poorly-proofread post and missing words. I apologize. The intended sentence should have read:

Approximately 20 each are assigned to Chicago, Forest Glen, 74th and 103rd, but stored at Archer garage. (When I was editing the sentence, I clearly lost words critical to the meaning.) Sorry about the carelessness.

Based on direct knowledge and the contents of the CTA bus assignment report (current report and reports dated at least as far back as Sept. 2010).

Anybody know the plans for these 86 or so Flxibles that csl3407 referred to last November? Will they ever be in revenue service again?

Anybody know the plans for these 86 or so Flxibles that csl3407 referred to last November? Will they ever be in revenue service again?

Outside what few live on as work buses, used Fresh Moves operations or Fire Department work (if the Fire Department did acquire any and kept them), these buses are dead. With how long they've been sitting, you'd need to do extensive work to get them back in operable condition like swapping out years old oil, clearing out and repairing fuel lines, working on the transmissions and whatever else these buses would need. That's if in fact they are still around and haven't met the shredder by now. Plus with CTA planning to bring in 100 new buses within the next year and planning on purchasing about 425 more after that after a contract is awarded why would they waste time and money overhauling buses that haven't seen use in three and a half years?

Outside what few live on as work buses, used Fresh Moves operations or Fire Department work (if the Fire Department did acquire any and kept them), these buses are dead. With how long they've been sitting, you'd need to do extensive work to get them back in operable condition like swapping out years old oil, clearing out and repairing fuel lines, working on the transmissions and whatever else these buses would need. That's if in fact they are still around and haven't met the shredder by now. Plus with CTA planning to bring in 100 new buses within the next year and planning on purchasing about 425 more after that after a contract is awarded why would they waste time and money overhauling buses that haven't seen use in three and a half years?

I agree.

...why would they waste time and money overhauling buses that haven't seen use in three and a half years?

It has only been 2-1/2 years (Feb. 2010). My, does time fly.

But, yes, they aren't going to overhaul any that are left at this point, except perhaps for the uses you noted.

It has only beein 2-1/2 years (Feb. 2010). My, does time fly.

But, yes, they aren't going to overhaul any that are left at this point, except perhaps for the uses you noted.

Oops minor error on my part. I keep remembering the 6000s pulled and the last cuts being 2009 instead of 2010 for some reason. But yes these buses have been out of use too long to think of overhauling for revenue service given the CTA announces getting new buses from piggy back of unused Seattle options and from a future contract that it has yet to award to one of the current bus manufacturers still doing operations in the U.S.

Oops minor error on my part. I keep remembering the 6000s pulled and the last cuts being 2009 instead of 2010 for some reason. But yes these buses have been out of use too long to think of overhauling for revenue service given the CTA announces getting new buses from piggy back of unused Seattle options and from a future contract that it has yet to award to one of the current bus manufacturers still doing operations in the U.S.

It may turn out they store some Novas or Optimas. I still don't know how there going to retire the Optimas that are only 6 years old. Maybe that's there escape route, to store the Optimas?

It may turn out they store some Novas or Optimas. I still don't know how there going to retire the Optimas that are only 6 years old. Maybe that's there escape route, to store the Optimas?

As I mentioned earlier, it might be like the NY MTA with the Grumman Flxibles, in that they are saying they are using state money, and then maybe they try to sell them to some small town operation, although they would be in competition with the NW Ind. Regional Planning Commission in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

Today i went over to the 77th shops/yard and i saw some interesting things while i was there. I Saw a old dirty fishbowl and also a lot of Nabis and flxibles. Most of the flxibles are getting ready to get hauled of for scrap and im not sure if flxible WB-2 is getting ready to be hauled of for srcap. I think i only saw 5 or 6 flxibles spray painted with stay on them the rest. I guess the rest are about to be hauled to there final resting place man im gonna miss those buses except those ugly nabis.

B)

Today i went over to the 77th shops/yard and i saw some interesting things while i was there. I Saw a old dirty fishbowl and also a lot of Nabis and flxibles. Most of the flxibles are getting ready to get hauled of for scrap and im not sure if flxible WB-2 is getting ready to be hauled of for srcap. I think i only saw 5 or 6 flxibles spray painted with stay on them the rest. I guess the rest are about to be hauled to there final resting place man im gonna miss those buses except those ugly nabis.

B)

This thread has overlived its life concerning Flxlbes. I am curious about the dirty old fishbowl. Bus number? Series #?

.. I am curious about the dirty old fishbowl. ...Bus number? Series #?

5750 make reference to 131 and "other fishbowls." I would have thought that the 1000s-7400s-9000s-9600s would have been long gone.

The other thing that appears from Google Maps is that 1305 (as best as I can make out) is in that yard with a tarp over the back. Of course, one can't tell when that picture was taken or if that's the reason only 1029 buses are subject to the requisition for mid-life rebuilding. Previous Google Maps reflected a bus that looked like it had been sliced diagonally, but that one doesn't seem to appear on this map.

As far as the 3 fuel cell buses, they appear to be here, with what appears to be a fishbowl next to them.

The other thing that appears from Google Maps is that 1305 (as best as I can make out) is in that yard with a tarp over the back. Of course, one can't tell when that picture was taken or if that's the reason only 1029 buses are subject to the requisition for mid-life rebuilding.

Google's latest satellite and 45° imagery is from spring of this year.

As far as the bus rebuilding, #1005 is the bus not included in the RFP. It is serving as the prototype for the rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was at a funeral wed. for a firefighter who passed away. It was held at 103rd/Cicero. A huge firefighter turnout was present. They brought CFD trucks as well as the fire buses. One of the vehicles was exCTA NF #5826 assigned to the CFD Academy, the other was an unmarked ex6000 Flxible! So the fire dept. did take posession of at least one bus. I didnt feel it was appropriate to take photographs at the service so I chose not to do it, I wasant able to get the bus number.

I was at a funeral wed. for a firefighter who passed away. It was held at 103rd/Cicero. A huge firefighter turnout was present. They brought CFD trucks as well as the fire buses. One of the vehicles was exCTA NF #5826 assigned to the CFD Academy, the other was an unmarked ex6000 Flxible! So the fire dept. did take posession of at least one bus. I didnt feel it was appropriate to take photographs at the service so I chose not to do it, I wasant able to get the bus number.

I know this is beating this to death, but I had to pass it on. 6154 was on a lift along with various Novas and New Flyers at South Shops back on 8/24. Like some of you, I'd like to see one in-service, but I know better.