6000-series Flxible - Retirements

BusHunter

Apparently I have started a firestorm with my poorly-proofread post and missing words. I apologize. The intended sentence should have read:

Approximately 20 each are assigned to Chicago, Forest Glen, 74th and 103rd, but stored at Archer garage. (When I was editing the sentence, I clearly lost words critical to the meaning.) Sorry about the carelessness.

Based on direct knowledge and the contents of the CTA bus assignment report (current report and reports dated at least as far back as Sept. 2010).

I live near FG, Ive gone by there a few times as of late, only a retired TMC RTS and a Flx new look are visible. No 6000s anywhere at FGlen.

If they are still there, it looks like not for long, unless one believes that CTA is going back on the RFP to sell Archer garage.

Still doesn't answer the question about the RFP to sell 120 for scrap, and if any of those 120 are supposedly these 80. (The links in those posts still work).

I read the linked post to which you referred both times today, and still the only question I see is an apparently rhetorical question in a footnote about whether Huberman left computers at CTA. The rest of your post appeared to be statements of assumptions of fact.

But no, these 86 were not part of the 120 available for scrap. The 120 were a separate subset of the then-remaining 6000s.

• Upvote 2

I read the linked post to which you referred both times today, and still the only question I see is an apparently rhetorical question in a footnote about whether Huberman left computers at CTA. The rest of your post appeared to be statements of assumptions of fact.

But no, these 86 were not part of the 120 available for scrap. The 120 were a separate subset of the then-remaining 6000s.

I don't know what you read. The only reference to Huberman was that for some reason CTA is unlike Pace and can't use a computer to generate a pdf directly from the electronic source of a document. In any event, the CTA rfps speak for themselves.

Since you claim to have the roster, why not turn it over to BusHunter or post it yourself?

Your eyes are not failing you. Which is why the corrected post says that the buses are stored at Archer, but assigned to the named garages.

Only one problem with that scenario. Archer is being sold, bidding is over. So if it was bid out wouldn't Archer be in a state of abandonment. The new owner can charge rent once they take it over. Also what would be the purpose of getting the buses ready for transport if there not going anywhere. I would think that would be needed only if something happened and in fact they do need the buses. The 86 buses would seem to be headed somewhere in the not too distant future.

Only one problem with that scenario. Archer is being sold, bidding is over.

I also doubt that CTA would leave the buses around there when they said that the facility was open to inspection by bidders before the bid close date and the successful bidder would have to do the environmental remediation (both mentioned in the RFP).

Hence 5750 seems on point with regard to the old catchphrase "Do you [csl and racine] have photographic proof of that?"

If this were true(still not buying it, though), the only plausible place I can think of housing these buses would be 77th and Perry amongst the NABI Junk parked there, if room for 86 40' buses is still there. If anything, the NOVA LFS service lives could be extended for a few more years, rather than just start retiring them when those undisclosed amount of Hybrid Articulated buses come in(no bids have been put out, but I'm going to guess New Flyer will get it, as the NOVA LFS Artic and the LFX don't come in Hybrid options yet). The CTA now has a 100% Low Floor fleet, I don't think they're going to change that and hear the public outcry of having to climb stairs again(especially the Senior Citizens who are mobility challenged).

If this were true(still not buying it, though), the only plausible place I can think of housing these buses would be 77th and Perry amongst the NABI Junk parked there, if room for 86 40' buses is still there.

I'm not prognosticating about where I think the CTA will move those buses if and when the Archer garage facility is finally sold. It's not sold yet and the buses are stored there now. I don't know what they will do with the buses if they are still around when an Archer sale is closed and I really don't have an interest.

I can't speak to what activity Racine saw when peering through windows at Archer.

Hence 5750 seems on point with regard to the old catchphrase "Do you [csl and racine] have photographic proof of that?"

I don't have photographic proof of it, nor do I intend to take the time or effort to procure it.

I thought only to share my knowledge about the topic when several posters doubted parts of racine's post that I knew to be true: the CTA has buses at Archer and they are 86 6000s that have not yet been consigned to the scrap heap. Believe me or not - that is certainly your choice. It's not the scoop of the century. None of our lives will be materially affected if you do or don't believe me. I merely thought the participants of this board had an interest in matters like this and thought to share my knowledge.

• Upvote 1

I'm not prognosticating about where I think the CTA will move those buses if and when the Archer garage facility is finally sold. It's not sold yet and the buses are stored there now. I don't know what they will do with the buses if they are still around when an Archer sale is closed and I really don't have an interest.

I can't speak to what activity Racine saw when peering through windows at Archer.

I don't have photographic proof of it, nor do I intend to take the time or effort to procure it.

I thought only to share my knowledge about the topic when several posters doubted parts of racine's post that I knew to be true: the CTA has buses at Archer and they are 86 6000s that have not yet been consigned to the scrap heap. Believe me or not - that is certainly your choice. It's not the scoop of the century. None of our lives will be materially affected if you do or don't believe me. I merely thought the participants of this board had an interest in matters like this and thought to share my knowledge.

I certainly wont dispute the claim that there are spare Flxibles sitting at Archer, since I havent been able to see inside that facility. Although I do remember in one instance a while back where I passed the garage one afternoon, I found a two of the doors open, I was able to spot at least three buses in there. Now the claim that there are buses sitting at FG, I hightly doubt because they have simply no room for extra buses to store there. Its not a big storage yard. I will check on this though since I dont live too far away from that facility.

I think all the flxibles are at 79th & perry

I think archer was sold for some time now

What you think is irrelevant, since I noted when the bids closed on Archer, which was October 17, 2011, and CTA hasn't posted anything on the contract awards page yet.

It seems like people are arguing all over the periphery, since the only assertion seems to be that they are on the highly secret roster, which, as usual, no one wants to disclose (what is with the cult of "I have the roster and will cite it but not disclose it") and someone who says he peeked through the window.

For that matter, even if they still exist isn't that relevant, since racine's point was that he wanted to play bus allocation chess with them without any rationale, when they certainly are not going back into revenue service.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Man if only flixible never went bankrupt we would have lowfloor flxibles and and not low floor new flyers. :lol:

And if Millennium had not gone bankrupt, we would have had the low floor RTS. At least that was closer to conception. Flxible (as far as anyone can tell), didn't have any plans for one.

But heck, if government subsidized industries like the bus assemblers can't stay solvent, that doesn't say much for them.

And if Millennium had not gone bankrupt, we would have had the low floor RTS. At least that was closer to conception. Flxible (as far as anyone can tell), didn't have any plans for one.

But heck, if government subsidized industries like the bus assemblers can't stay solvent, that doesn't say much for them.

Sorry to see them gone! I hope i get a chance once again to drive them for the fire dept.

• 3 weeks later...

Went past the City shops at North/Throop today. Got a close look at one of the Flxibles, the number was removed off its rear a/c panel, thanks to the sun being at a good spot I had a good enough angle, I was able to make out the number. One of them is #6186. I wasant able to get close to the other bus.

I was on my way home from the CFD Academy, I inquired about instructor positions that are available there. Once selected, I will be a 3 month fire vehicle apparatus instructor. I will have access to all types of fire trucks as well as the buses. Ill have a chance to drive our RTS and the Flx Metros once theyre put in service. I gave the CFD instruction dept. a little background including my CTA experience. They were very intersted in putting me on their staff. Im looking forward to starting this position.

Went past the City shops at North/Throop today. Got a close look at one of the Flxibles, the number was removed off its rear a/c panel, thanks to the sun being at a good spot I had a good enough angle, I was able to make out the number. One of them is #6186. I wasant able to get close to the other bus.

I was on my way home from the CFD Academy, I inquired about instructor positions that are available there. Once selected, I will be a 3 month fire vehicle apparatus instructor. I will have access to all types of fire trucks as well as the buses. Ill have a chance to drive our RTS and the Flx Metros once theyre put in service. I gave the CFD instruction dept. a little background including my CTA experience. They were very intersted in putting me on their staff. Im looking forward to starting this position.

cool glad to see a few flxibles still around.

• 3 weeks later...

cool glad to see a few flxibles still around.

It's not over until the fat lady sings. A small batch of 6000s are being sent to garages with fleet shortages to be used "as needed". There are currently 4-6 at Chicago and 6 at 103rd as of so far. Perhaps someone with insight at those facilites can elaborate on which numbers those are?

It's not over until the fat lady sings. A small batch of 6000s are being sent to garages with fleet shortages to be used "as needed". There are currently 4-6 at Chicago and 6 at 103rd as of so far. Perhaps someone with insight at those facilites can elaborate on which numbers those are?

I've seen 6139 and another headed down the dan ryan untouched. one of them was even sporting a 15 Jeffery Local sign looking like it might have been in service that day returning to the garage.

Much as I wish the Flxibles were back, lets all face it: They won't come back. I suppose we can all circle-jerk each other here and construe any sighting of one as "hope" that they come back, but the fact still remains: They're getting old (Most of them were fairly ratty at the end of their lives - coming back to Union Station on one from a Bears game, my dad even commented how bad they rode and worn out they seemed!), and besides the age, they're standard floor buses. As others have pointed out, it seems very unlikely that CTA will bring them back and no longer be able to say they're an all low floor system then.

Face it, fellow bus fans, they're gone.

At the initial retirement date, there were 5 or 10 left at the garages (at least I saw some sitting in the Forest Glen yard), but I agree that it is about as unlikely that they will go back into service as the pine and lime Flxible supposed paratransit that also sat there.

Much as I wish the Flxibles were back, lets all face it: They won't come back. I suppose we can all circle-jerk each other here and construe any sighting of one as "hope" that they come back, but the fact still remains: They're getting old (Most of them were fairly ratty at the end of their lives - coming back to Union Station on one from a Bears game, my dad even commented how bad they rode and worn out they seemed!), and besides the age, they're standard floor buses. As others have pointed out, it seems very unlikely that CTA will bring them back and no longer be able to say they're an all low floor system then.

Face it, fellow bus fans, they're gone.

Not necessarily! :) Theyre not entirely gone! I know one bus operator who tells me they make a temporaroy comeback. There are several stored at Chicago Ave. that may be pressed back into service for a short time.

Andletys not forget the Flxibles that still run as Work buses, the Food Desert Bus is still using theirs although theyre having problems with it even after $25,000 worth of work done to it. The buses that were suppose to run with the fire dept. are not in the yard now. They were moved, where I do not know. But I did see two CTA wreckers there standing by with ambers flashing when I passed the city shops at North/Throop.

... the Food Desert Bus is still using theirs although theyre having problems with it even after $25,000 worth of work done to it.

Are you still working for them? Anyway, that reinforces what I thought a while back that besides the cost of diesel to keep it going, they could have purchased a Ford Transit Connect or Nissan NV1500 new for about that money, or probably any other kind of truck of the type used for the traveling restaurants or the like used.

Not necessarily! :) Theyre not entirely gone! I know one bus operator who tells me they make a temporaroy comeback.

I have long suspected bus operators sometimes figure out who the bus fans are, and tell us these things to yank our chains and get a reaction.

...Andletys not forget the Flxibles that still run as Work buses, the Food Desert Bus is still using theirs...

Still, from a CTA passenger perspective, yes, they are 'gone' then.

...although theyre having problems with it even after $25,000 worth of work done to it.

If you were a business in the order of the CTA, would you put $25,000 or more into a single bus that is old, and the builder is long gone? I sure wouldn't!

The buses that were suppose to run with the fire dept. are not in the yard now. They were moved, where I do not know. But I did see two CTA wreckers there standing by with ambers flashing when I passed the city shops at North/Throop.

I refer to the passenger perspective again. Gone.