6000-series Flxible - Retirements

BusHunter

Most of those on the back fence probably can't make the trip to Archer on there own. Most of those buses are usually waiting on parts to repair them. I remember when the #9900's were long gone some of the last buses were towed out of those same spots to South Shops. These could end up the same way if the #6000's don't return.

hmm makes sense.

Funny you bring up the old flyers,Man I remember living near Milwaukee/Devon 10 years ago,RIGHT in front of the Imlay terminal and got to see LOTS of bus action....270 pace,Niles free bus,CTA and once a orion 2300 series on a layover or reroute ? And on a rare occasion,I do remember seeing a 1600/9000 Flyer on a Joy ride ?? or "Maintenance test" around 1-2 am in that terminal,Around early 2001 LOL ahh memories

hmm makes sense.

Funny you bring up the old flyers,Man I remember living near Milwaukee/Devon 10 years ago,RIGHT in front of the Imlay terminal and got to see LOTS of bus action....270 pace,Niles free bus,CTA and once a orion 2300 series on a layover or reroute ? And on a rare occasion,I do remember seeing a 1600/9000 Flyer on a Joy ride ?? or "Maintenance test" around 1-2 am in that terminal,Around early 2001 LOL ahh memories

It was really cool in the early 90's before the #5400's arrived. There were quite a few Flyers at FG. They also had #9974 which had the black window frames and digital destination. Before there final retirement #9974 came back to Fg for a couple weeks. Those were good times.

• 4 months later...

Well well well. How many people expected this coming? A bus shortage has resulted in 6 Flxibles returning to service coming out of 103rd street garage? I'm sure there are several factors to this, but I wonder if the number of bus accidents played a part among them?

Well well well. How many people expected this coming? A bus shortage has resulted in 6 Flxibles returning to service coming out of 103rd street garage? I'm sure there are several factors to this, but I wonder if the number of bus accidents played a part among them?

They might only be for cooling buses for the Taste of Chicago and the Fireworks tonight. Anyone going there tonight check these locations:

-Foster Beach Parking Lot

-Wilson/Simonds Drive Parking Lot

-Montrose/Simonds Drive Parking Lot

-East 63rd St.

-South Stony Island

-LaRibida Hospital

-Museum of Science and Industry Parking Lot

-East 54th St. at the Lakefront

These are the areas where the CTA cooling buses will be located.

As Kevin said in his report, they activated them on July 2nd. Since they've been sitting without being ran since February 6th(Approx. 5 months), the CTA probably had to do some considerable work on Saturday to get them running for today:

-Add Diesel, Oil and any other necessary fluids

-Check and change(if necessary) rotors, brake shoes, and the air brake system in general

-Change the fuel filters(if they're clogged, the bus will run very rough, or not even start)

-Air/Replace the tires

-Test the Wheelchair Lifts, and fix if needed

-Drive them around the lot or a short distance from Archer, so the transmission will work properly after sitting for a while.

I can see sw's explanation since I can't see these buses running that well for revenue passenger service after jst sitting with no kind of maintenance for five months . Also there wouldn't be a shortage at 103rd (if they are to be used on the road) if so many buses from there weren't transferred two weekends ago to Kedzie, NP and the other garages that took in buses previously assigned to 103rd.

• Upvote 1

While on the #11 yesterday afternoon several cars away from the NB Irving Park stop, I spotted a New Flyer heading south on Damen, followed by a Flxible(it had the new circular logo). I couldn't tell if it had passengers or not, nor it's number from my distance, but from what I could barely see, and I might be wrong about this, it might've said 61xx.

Anyone seen a 61xx rolling around???

Will the Flxibles be in revenue service next week?

I assuming that they probably went back to Archer Garage after the 4th. It's ashame that I never get to see them on the 4th because I was out of town. I'm praying that the services will be restore soon and 6000s will return to service.

I assuming that they probably went back to Archer Garage after the 4th. It's ashame that I never get to see them on the 4th because I was out of town. I'm praying that the services will be restore soon and 6000s will return to service.

I don't think they were used on July 4th. They probably needed a week for maintenence on the buses to keep them running again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to the Bus Assignment report CTA distributes to employees and vendors, 14 more buses have been officially retired in July. This is the step prior to sending them to the scrap yard.

The buses are - 6010, 6059, 6073, 6094, 6097, 6102, 6132,6188, 6207, 6215, 6248, 6282, 6290 & 6303.

Although these buses have been off the active roster since February, like most 6000s they have been carried on the bus assignment sheet as Long Term Holds. (As other posters indicated in late June-Early July, buses in long term hold can show back up in the active roster. This move assures that these 14 won't.)

• Upvote 1

According to the Bus Assignment report CTA distributes to employees and vendors, 14 more buses have been officially retired in July. This is the step prior to sending them to the scrap yard.

The buses are - 6010, 6059, 6073, 6094, 6097, 6102, 6132,6188, 6207, 6215, 6248, 6282, 6290 & 6303.

Although these buses have been off the active roster since February, like most 6000s they have been carried on the bus assignment sheet as Long Term Holds. (As other posters indicated in late June-Early July, buses in long term hold can show back up in the active roster. This move assures that these 14 won't.)

Any reason why it was assumed that these are now scrap rather than holds? Their condition couldn't have deteriorated much sitting around.

I suppose that at some point, CTA is going to decide that it isn't getting funding to establish the former level of service, and thus the expense of maintaining the holds (at least of not being able to sell the Archer property) is not worth it.

• Upvote 1

So that leaves 195 Flxibles that could possibly return to service (189 at Archer and 6 supposedly at 103rd). I'm guessing the CTA will keep them around until those transit preservation/restoration acts get voted on in Washington D.C. The future of the Flxibles depends on it.

Any reason why it was assumed that these are now scrap rather than holds? Their condition couldn't have deteriorated much sitting around.

I don't know why the determination was made to scrap these buses.

Are those Flxibles at 103rd used in revenue service? Im fairly new here so I apologize in advance if this question has been answered previously

The six Flxibles at 103rd are carried on the active roster. Whether they use them is another question. I understand they are intended as spares and would only be used if there are other buses down and they are needed to make service.

I don't know why the determination was made to scrap these buses.

With 1,100 CTA workers laid off and routes eliminated and cut down on their operating times, the more newer stock(NOVA LFS, New Flyer, Optima) can handle the workload. The Flxibles are approaching 16-17 yrs. of age and have been parked at Archer since Feb. 6th, 2010. They would need a lot of work to get back in operable condition sitting for almost 7 months now.

The reason they were scrapped goes back to lack of funding which goes back to the IL House and Senate, which wouldn't repeal the Free Rides for Seniors to only those at or below a set income, which goes back to Winston Churchill.... oops... I mean Blagojevich, the disgraced excuse for a former public offical who should, for all practical purposes, be sentenced to a long prison sentence, not be on the eastern seaboard making Illinois look like the Land of Corruption and how to get away with it.

The six Flxibles at 103rd are carried on the active roster. Whether they use them is another question. I understand they are intended as spares and would only be used if there are other buses down and they are needed to make service.

Those six Flxibles were put on the active roster for one sole reason... they needed cooling buses for the July 4th Fireworks. I'm almost sure if anybody went to where the cooling buses were assigned, you would've seen 6042, 6221, 6223, 6224, 6227 and 6237 parked and running. Since the fireworks they've been parked again and probably drained of all fluids and had their batteries pulled, the only difference being they are parked at 103rd, not Archer.

• Upvote 2

With 1,100 CTA workers laid off and routes eliminated and cut down on their operating times, the more newer stock(NOVA LFS, New Flyer, Optima) can handle the workload. The Flxibles are approaching 16-17 yrs. of age and have been parked at Archer since Feb. 6th, 2010. They would need a lot of work to get back in operable condition sitting for almost 7 months now....

That doesn't seem to answer the question. If anything, that would be justification for scrapping most of the about 200 that are left, not just a few of them.

Those six Flxibles were put on the active roster for one sole reason... they needed cooling buses for the July 4th Fireworks. I'm almost sure if anybody went to where the cooling buses were assigned, you would've seen 6042, 6221, 6223, 6224, 6227 and 6237 parked and running.

But at Lollapalooza, D40LFs were used for cooling buses (photographic proof, via Flickr). Under your reasoning, wouldn't they have used the Flxibles at this event as well?

The reason they were scrapped goes back to lack of funding which goes back to the IL House and Senate, which wouldn't repeal the Free Rides for Seniors to only those at or below a set income, which goes back to Winston Churchill.... oops... I mean Blagojevich, the disgraced excuse for a former public offical who should, for all practical purposes, be sentenced to a long prison sentence, not be on the eastern seaboard making Illinois look like the Land of Corruption and how to get away with it.

• Upvote 3

But at Lollapalooza, D40LFs were used for cooling buses (photographic proof, via Flickr). Under your reasoning, wouldn't they have used the Flxibles at this event as well?

Historically, the evening of July 3rd has been when CTA ran more service than any other moment of the year. Of course, July 3rd was "just another Taste of Chicago night," but July 4th definitely took over for July 3rd in importance this year (and, based on reports that Navy Pier was closed to new arrivals as early as 7:30 pm, it probably beat previous July 3rds; I wasn't there so I don't know).

Therefore, CTA probably needed every single serviceable vehicle possible to run their July 4th extras. Lollapalooza isn't quite as intense in its need for extra service, so it would be easier to find the extra six vehicles needed for cooling buses.

Apparently someone is offended by the truths posted by myself and sw4400

Some people just can't handle hearing (or reading) the truth.

• Upvote 1