6000-series Flxible - Retirements

BusHunter

There is also the distinction that if it is by what actually is the South Shops (i.e. 79th and Vincennes), it is probably there for repairs. The boneyard is on the Perry side of the complex, which, at the moment, seems filled with NABIs. Since Mikey said he saw it on the 79th St, side, the former seems to be the case.

Ok. I'm not exactly familiar with the geography of that area. When (if?) we see 6123 on the road again, I'm wondering what the extent of the repairs will be: power train work or just a paint job or something else?

Ok. I'm not exactly familiar with the geography of that area. When (if?) we see 6123 on the road again, I'm wondering what the extent of the repairs will be: power train work or just a paint job or something else?

Basically, the shops part is here on Google Satellite; rotate the little guy to the north for Street View.

What I called the boneyard is basically here, by Perry Ave.

The latter shot must predate March, as it appears that most of the buses are 40 foot ones, except near 77th.

We wont see it. Went past there after work at 330. And there is a white sheet of paper with the word "SCRAP" written on it. :(

• 3 weeks later...

It turns out that the 6305-6329 series Flxibles Engines were rebuilt... according to this procurement from 2001...

12/19/2001 B00OP01012 $200,000.00 Volvo & GMC Trucks of Chicago Cummins L10(5745-5765) and M11(6305-6329) engine rebuilding to be released as required for twenty-four (24) months from date of contract.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Another Flx #6000 bit this dust this October, #6079. So 286 left. So to update #6003, #6016, #6027, #6071, #6078, #6079, #6084, #6088, #6089, #6098, #6110, #6111, #6115, #6116, #6123, #6143, #6146, #6185, #6198, #6203, #6210, #6226, #6235, #6274, #6276, #6295, #6301, #6305 - #6309, #6311 - #6315, #6317 - #6320, #6325, #6328, #6329 are gone.

Update:
As of Dec 1st these #6000's have also bit the dust #6142, #6197, #6212, #6216, #6228, #6257, #6269, #6321 and #6323. This leaves 277 left.

• 1 month later...

We're quickly closing in on the 2-month marker for the final day of Flxibles on Chicago Streets... Start getting your last rides/photographs before there's too few to even find before final retirement. By Feb 1st, I'm thinking there will be less than 100 Flxibles remaining to make final retirement easier(less manpower and tow trucks required, a.k.a less $$, to drive/haul them to 77th/Perry or 95th/Ewing for scrapping preperations)

We're quickly closing in on the 2-month marker for the final day of Flxibles on Chicago Streets... Start getting your last rides/photographs before there's too few to even find before final retirement. By Feb 1st, I'm thinking there will be less than 100 Flxibles remaining to make final retirement easier(less manpower and tow trucks required, a.k.a less $$, to drive/haul them to 77th/Perry or 95th/Ewing for scrapping preperations)

Probably quite a few Flxibles there at 95/Ewing in the pile.

:huh: No, that won't happen. The CTA can't park all those Flxibles before February 1, 2010 when they're still going to be needed for service between February 1st and 5th.

My final speculation on this: Archer Garage closes; Flxibles and current service remain

:huh: No, that won't happen. The CTA can't park all those Flxibles before February 1, 2010 when they're still going to be needed for service between February 1st and 5th.

My final speculation on this: Archer Garage closes; Flxibles and current service remain

Right on the first point. I think the second point would have to be a package deal. If Archer closes with current service, there would be massive overcrowding at the other garages. I think the point in closing Archer would be that 250 plus buses equals a garage capacity, so if you remove one you might as well remove the other.

While anything can happen and probably will, I find it notable that (1) while the RTA was apparently put further into hock to guarantee no fare increase right around election time, nothing similar has been said by state candidates about service cutbacks, and (2) while Pace said it rejiggered stuff in the final budget to reduce the severity of service cuts, and preserved some the usual suspects, including 616, CTA hasn't said anything similar, even though saying so might reduce some union and advocates' pressure. I believe that Mayor Daley has given the CTA its marching orders, which include imposing the service cuts.

...I think the second point would have to be a package deal. If Archer closes with current service, there would be massive overcrowding at the other garages. I think the point in closing Archer would be that 250 plus buses equals a garage capacity, so if you remove one you might as well remove the other.

Noting the conundrum BusHunter noted, I had the previous one about the reason for the lack of funding for the 140 buses that are no longer necessary to replace the 6000s, unless there is first funding to reinstate service.

Noting the conundrum BusHunter noted, I had the previous one about the reason for the lack of funding for the 140 buses that are no longer necessary to replace the 6000s, unless there is first funding to reinstate service.

IIRC, the last big service cut of '97- '98 saw flyers being cut from 199 to 114 buses and MAN standards being cut from 362 to 337 buses. So 100 plus buses were cut then. I don't think there has ever been a service cut as big as the projected Feb 2010 cuts in CTA's history. Should be interesting what will happen when it gets closer to the deadline. There should be more pressure at the political level especially in an election year. Would a candidate want to be known as the person who brought about the biggest cut in CTA history.

There should be more pressure at the political level especially in an election year. Would a candidate want to be known as the person who brought about the biggest cut in CTA history.

Depends on how PR spreads the credit and blame. Quinn gets the benefit of preventing a fare hike (despite it not being clear how the bonds are going to be paid back) while service cuts can probably be stuck on Rodriguez or the unions.

Update: I'm not sure this is the biggest cut in CTA history, as the 1973 ones were pretty big. Those basically were justified by the fact that it took until then to eliminate the overlaps between routes inherited from the Surface Lines and CMC, with such routes as 5 Jeffery Local (via 43rd and Indiana) and 136 Douglas (roughly paralleling Ogden-Downtown) ending then. I don't have numbers, but it seems like fewer New Looks were needed to replace all the propanes, CMC era, and trolley buses.

Depends on how PR spreads the credit and blame. Quinn gets the benefit of preventing a fare hike (despite it not being clear how the bonds are going to be paid back) while service cuts can probably be stuck on Rodriguez or the unions.

Update: I'm not sure this is the biggest cut in CTA history, as the 1973 ones were pretty big. Those basically were justified by the fact that it took until then to eliminate the overlaps between routes inherited from the Surface Lines and CMC, with such routes as 5 Jeffery Local (via 43rd and Indiana) and 136 Douglas (roughly paralleling Ogden-Downtown) ending then. I don't have numbers, but it seems like fewer New Looks were needed to replace all the propanes, CMC era, and trolley buses.

The motor coach age books cronicle alot of the changes over the years. The 1976 cuts stand out to me. They made quite a few cuts then in Sept and Dec but, with the cuts spanning over several months they appeared to be easing them in versus a one date takes all cut. Probably one of the things that the 2010 cuts have that makes them more devastating is that the cuts involve crosstown routes versus feeder routes. There basically taking the growth of the 2000 decade (with exception to the Lakeshore enhancements) and eliminating it taking us back to the 1990's again.

• 4 weeks later...

It'll be a bittersweet day, when Archer closes & the 6000s will be retired and pulled off the street,...subsequently...it'll be my last day working @ Cta too. Life surely does serve you lemons...but I'm not much of a lemonade drinker. lol

buh-bye flx'ys!

Good luck on whatever endeavors the future holds for you.

It'll be a bittersweet day, when Archer closes & the 6000s will be retired and pulled off the street,...subsequently...it'll be my last day working @ Cta too. Life surely does serve you lemons...but I'm not much of a lemonade drinker. lol

buh-bye flx'ys!

Sorry for the bad news, I never imagined that CTA would layoff. Hope you will find happiness and satisfaction in your future endeavour. I would imagine many laid off CTA drivers applying for current openings at Pace. As for the 6000s that certainly will be a bittersweet day if they are all retired.