6000-series Flxible - Retirements

BusHunter

The more interesting question is from where they came, since there certainly is no garage south of there, and going northbound could be consistent with going to 74th. Now, if the same sighting were at, say, 47th and Western, or eastbound on 79th... (you get the idea in what direction I'm heading).

Agreed, I thought that was really strange that 6218 was showing 34-south michigan on it's destination sign. The other thing was the drivers driving it had on the light green vests, that tells me they were not regular CTA drivers, but maintanence guys instead. I wonder if maybe those buses ended at 95th/Ryan, then came down 95th to Western, then came down Western to wherever they were heading. I almost turned around and followed them, it was around 10:30 last night when I saw them so they were definately done with their shift.

Agreed, I thought that was really strange that 6218 was showing 34-south michigan on it's destination sign. The other thing was the drivers driving it had on the light green vests, that tells me they were not regular CTA drivers, but maintanence guys instead. I wonder if maybe those buses ended at 95th/Ryan, then came down 95th to Western, then came down Western to wherever they were heading. I almost turned around and followed them, it was around 10:30 last night when I saw them so they were definately done with their shift.

They had been assigned to 103rd. I would have guessed that they were heading toward Archer for storage, except that that garage is still active for one more day. So, who knows? Regarding the destination sign, whomever was driving that bus probably just didn't change the setting.

They had been assigned to 103rd. I would have guessed that they were heading toward Archer for storage, except that that garage is still active for one more day. So, who knows? ...

I forgot that about a year ago, the lower 6200s were swapped to 103. So now it is starting to come together.

Obviously, 103 now has to get something in return, but then you have the question posed here.

As far as Archer being still active today, BusTracker still shows Novas on its major routes (i.e. 35, 49, 54B, and 62).

I also forgot that I didn't read the comics today, and have to do that.:angry::blink::rolleyes:

I'll do a quick sweep of Bustracker today and tomorrow(unless Flxibles are offically retired) to check for any straggler Flxibles still in service...

Saturay 2/6/10

At 11:02a

No Flxibles out of Forest Glen

At 11:25a

No Flxibles out of Chicago

At 11:37a

No Flxibles out of 74th

At 11:51a

No Flxibles out of 103rd

Perhaps the last day was yesterday???

I'll do a quick sweep of Bustracker today and tomorrow(unless Flxibles are offically retired) to check for any straggler Flxibles still in service...

Saturay 2/6/10

At 11:02a

No Flxibles out of Forest Glen

At 11:25a

No Flxibles out of Chicago

At 11:37a

No Flxibles out of 74th

At 11:51a

No Flxibles out of 103rd

Perhaps the last day was yesterday???

Looks like the purge did begin last night as might be suggested from rotjohn's sighting though I wonder why the maintenance workers would bring those two 103rd Flxs down Western to go to South Shops if that's where they were headed. It appears we both may have been wrong. I was at least giving it till today for FG. Outside of the rare sighting a couple weeks ago, Chicago is no surprise. Neither is 103rd because it like Kedzie and Chicago tended to park Flxibles on weekends. 74th had also been winding down on using Flxibles on the weekend.

WBBM radio is reporting that the 280+ Flxibles will be mothballed and stored at Archer Garage in the event that an agreement is reached with the service reductions and layoffs. By the way is anyone heading to Archer Garage in the morning for photos?

They had been assigned to 103rd. I would have guessed that they were heading toward Archer for storage, except that that garage is still active for one more day. So, who knows? Regarding the destination sign, whomever was driving that bus probably just didn't change the setting.

On second thought, those Flxibles probably WERE headed for Archer. While it's true that Archer is still in operation today, the full roster of buses isn't needed to fill Saturday runs. So it's possible that a bay may have been cleared to make room for the mothballed Flxs.

In the meantime, the exodus of the Archer Novas seems to be under way now. 6688 showed up on Bus Tracker this morning assigned to the #155. This also jibes with Rideonrulez' announcement that NP is receiving Novas. This might also account for 1428's presence on the #56. It may have been swapped for a Forest Glen Nova. So NP may be getting high 6600s and low 6700s from Archer as well as a few low 6700s from NP.

I turned on the TV in the middle of the story, but it appears that Channel 7 was out at Archer today and that the video shows Flxs pulling in and Novas pulling out. Also Rodriguez had a press event in what looks like a new garage with both a NF and a Nova, and we know that in recent history, the two did not coexist in a new inside garage. If anyone else can make out more from this, including at what garage Rodriguez was, please let us know.

Link

I turned on the TV in the middle of the story, but it appears that Channel 7 was out at Archer today and that the video shows Flxs pulling in and Novas pulling out. Also Rodriguez had a press event in what looks like a new garage with both a NF and a Nova, and we know that in recent history, the two did not coexist in a new inside garage. If anyone else can make out more from this, including at what garage Rodriguez was, please let us know.

Link

Mr Rodriguez do a press event at 77th Street Garage and dress like a CTA employee!

Mr Rodriguez do a press event at 77th Street Garage and dress like a CTA employee!

Well as CTA President he does work for the agency. In any event, it's going to be tough, but not as dire as the media makes it sound considering in 2007 the plan was to cut a third of the bus routes instead of just nine.

Link

I was at Archer yesterday, they already had bays 2 and 3 about 3/4 full with Flx's. Bay 9 was just starting to fill with about 6 buses all parked on one side of it. Bay 8 was full of Flx's you could see #6249 and #6040 plain as day. Alot of Archer Nova's were on the back apron. I didn't see any optima's like they were already gone. This was around 5:00 P.M. yesterday.

Anyone able to get any shots at Archer Garage? Is there anything to worth snapping photos of?

I'll snap the photos on the part where the Street cars used to be at. I want to get there by Tuesday or Wednesday myself and of course get a picture of my 6000s there which is funny for them being there since they never been on Archer Runs before. But I'm glad that 6000s are being saved there (not retired permanetly yet) and because I do feel in my spirit that things will be back to normal soon.

As I mentioned elsewhere, there are still 9 in the FG north lot.

Perhaps they didn't they just make it to Archer for storage yet because FG did have the opportunity to use them yesterday which wouldn't have been out of the ordinary but didn't do so.

• Upvote 1

New guy here,I'm a Chicago and San Francisco/Bay area bus fan.Since I grew up in both GREAT cities smile.gif

Anyways kinda weird on Tuesday night I drove around FG garage and noticed 4-5 flx 6000's on the back lot the one that STILL has a TMC 4900 parked in it. 2 or 3 of the buses where ON and idling ?? It was late evening,To dark to get fleet #'s

And last night I went by again and they where shut off and hiding behind a Nova

Just to note,I guess not ALL 6000's have gone to archer for storage ??

• Upvote 1

Anyways kinda weird on Tuesday night I drove around FG garage and noticed 4-5 flx 6000's on the back lot the one that STILL has a TMC 4900 parked in it. 2 or 3 of the buses where ON and idling ?? It was late evening,To dark to get fleet #'s

Basically what I noted on Sunday, except they weren't running. If there were 4-5, that means that 4-5 were moved since then.

4901 is undoubtedly a work bus.

• Upvote 1

New guy here,I'm a Chicago and San Francisco/Bay area bus fan.Since I grew up in both GREAT cities smile.gif

Most of those on the back fence probably can't make the trip to Archer on there own. Most of those buses are usually waiting on parts to repair them. I remember when the #9900's were long gone some of the last buses were towed out of those same spots to South Shops. These could end up the same way if the #6000's don't return.