6000-series Flxible - Retirements

BusHunter

Any idea on how long the #6000's would be in storage? It's already been nearly 7 months since the service cuts. Nobody seems to be concerned with bringing any service back. Even with the recent infusion of cash (thinking of July) this doesn't seem to be on the priority list.

But at Lollapalooza, D40LFs were used for cooling buses (photographic proof, via Flickr). Under your reasoning, wouldn't they have used the Flxibles at this event as well?

If there was a lack of spares, yes. I believe those six Flxibles were brung out of retirement just for cooling bus service for the July 4th weekend, as all the low floor buses that were operable were servicing the firework crowds and unable to be cooling buses. Reasoning behind this is since that holiday, the Flxibles have once again fallen off the face of the Earth. If they were in regular use again, I'm sure the chicagobus.org forum would be talking about seeing them on the bustracker or in person on 103rd routes.

Any idea on how long the #6000's would be in storage? It's already been nearly 7 months since the service cuts. Nobody seems to be concerned with bringing any service back. Even with the recent infusion of cash (thinking of July) this doesn't seem to be on the priority list.

Indefinately, IMO. With the IL House and Senate not doing much to help restore CTA Service to it's former levels, those Flxibles will sit at Archer until the wreckers haul them off to 77th/Perry and 95th/Ewing for scrapping(these areas are probably crammed with NABI 60-LFW JunkBuses until 2015-2016)

It doesn't appear that anyone on the inside has made a decision. One can't tell if the betting is with BusExpert (and several others who have p.m.ed me) on whether the miraculous $2 billion will appear, in which case they'll need the buses, or my response to sw that they may as well scrap them all, if we accept his theory.

At the moment, both the Senate and House bills are stuck in committee, and (1) with campaign season coming and (2) most of 2010 gone, I personally am not betting on it.

Maybe CTA has a lobbyist that has more inside information.

However, given how inertia works, unless there is an explanation for why only 14 of the about 200 had their status changed, I would bet on the status quo until such time as some Bridgeport-connected developer wants the land. But that's just my view from the outside.

BTW, the July "infusion of cash" was just capital, and on the CTA portion, just rail (according to the state Press Release).

However, given how inertia works, unless there is an explanation for why only 14 of the about 200 had their status changed, I would bet on the status quo until such time as some Bridgeport-connected developer wants the land. But that's just my view from the outside.

They probably won't restore all service. The "X" express routes would come back along with more service here and there, but no schedule changes will be made to the short, low ridership routes along the edges of town. So the 195 Flxibles left on the roster will be enough.

Indefinately, IMO. With the IL House and Senate not doing much to help restore CTA Service to it's former levels, those Flxibles will sit at Archer until the wreckers haul them off to 77th/Perry and 95th/Ewing for scrapping(these areas are probably crammed with NABI 60-LFW JunkBuses until 2015-2016)

I was told today that a group of 6000s were sitting at 95/Ewing.

I was told today that a group of 6000s were sitting at 95/Ewing.

I'm not doubting that there aren't 6000's at 95th/Ewing, but the numbers that are at Archer are probably too much to place there and at 77th/Perry. The 225 NABI's are taking up a lot of room and will for the forseeable future.

With 1,100 CTA workers laid off and routes eliminated and cut down on their operating times, the more newer stock(NOVA LFS, New Flyer, Optima) can handle the workload. The Flxibles are approaching 16-17 yrs. of age and have been parked at Archer since Feb. 6th, 2010. They would need a lot of work to get back in operable condition sitting for almost 7 months now.

The reason they were scrapped goes back to lack of funding which goes back to the IL House and Senate, which wouldn't repeal the Free Rides for Seniors to only those at or below a set income, which goes back to Winston Churchill.... oops... I mean Blagojevich, the disgraced excuse for a former public offical who should, for all practical purposes, be sentenced to a long prison sentence, not be on the eastern seaboard making Illinois look like the Land of Corruption and how to get away with it.

Those six Flxibles were put on the active roster for one sole reason... they needed cooling buses for the July 4th Fireworks. I'm almost sure if anybody went to where the cooling buses were assigned, you would've seen 6042, 6221, 6223, 6224, 6227 and 6237 parked and running. Since the fireworks they've been parked again and probably drained of all fluids and had their batteries pulled, the only difference being they are parked at 103rd, not Archer.

Novas were used as cooling buses on july 4th not the 6000s, and there was 1 occasion where a 6000 filled a run on the 26 in the pm rush

BTW, the July "infusion of cash" was just capital, and on the CTA portion, just rail (according to the state Press Release).

they could've been needed for parts or they wanted that space to store something new like work equipment. As far as this being indefinite, what would happen when you retire the novas? would they go Archer? Why would they keep an older bus (flx) as spares then. As far as the infusion of cash being capital, when did that ever stop CTA? They have borrowed from capital and sent it to operating before. If you read the preview of the RTA budget for 2011 coming in a few months, they honestly seem as if there happy with the service levels, not raising fares for 2011 and not operating in a deficit currently. Not having to pay 1000 workers or maintain 15 year old buses can really keep a budget in line. I haven't seen a cta wrecker much lately pull a bus. There doesn't seem to be many buses in need of a tow, now that the fleet is newer. They seemed to have cut there service down too. In fact about a week or two ago I saw a nova being pushed into the yard by a ford pickup truck. (now that's Ford tough as they say in the commercials) Currently, they seem like there in a rush to get all these rail stations accessible to wheelchairs. I think I once read something somewhere about the all the stations must be handicapped accessible by 2020-2030.

I haven't seen anything definite about the 2011 budget proposals on the CTA's Finance and Budget page, and the RTA's PowerPoint on the call for the budget hearings is general, but what you say is consistent with what Pace published about its proposed budget.

However, I doubt that the 6000s have parts compatible with the Novas or New Flyers. Certainly, the engines don't meet current emission standards.

While CTA has said in the 2010 budget that it wants to convert more capital to operating, the indication from the state's press release is that IDOT will release the money only in return for specific contracts with RTA and CTA. I'm sure Quinn's peeps in Englewood would be teed off to find not only that they aren't getting the jobs, but that the work won't be done. I don't know what has to be done at 63rd and Ashland, but the north side concrete overpasses and stations sure need work.

As far as the Novas, the capital plan indicates regular disposition about 2013, and I am sure that by then we will know what level of service will be provided. I think that both of us agree that Archer will not be a permanent storage facility; there is a reason for junk yards.

I haven't seen anything definite about the 2011 budget proposals on the CTA's Finance and Budget page, and the RTA's PowerPoint on the call for the budget hearings is general, but what you say is consistent with what Pace published about its proposed budget.

However, I doubt that the 6000s have parts compatible with the Novas or New Flyers. Certainly, the engines don't meet current emission standards.

While CTA has said in the 2010 budget that it wants to convert more capital to operating, the indication from the state's press release is that IDOT will release the money only in return for specific contracts with RTA and CTA. I'm sure Quinn's peeps in Englewood would be teed off to find not only that they aren't getting the jobs, but that the work won't be done. I don't know what has to be done at 63rd and Ashland, but the north side concrete overpasses and stations sure need work.

As far as the Novas, the capital plan indicates regular disposition about 2013, and I am sure that by then we will know what level of service will be provided. I think that both of us agree that Archer will not be a permanent storage facility; there is a reason for junk yards.

As far as having parts compatible they have fareboxes and clever devices equipment on them in case something fails on the newer buses. Don't know if the tires would fit on a low floor bus (I think there a little smaller on the low floors) but the work trucks could use them. Also the destination sign (the amber one) may be compatible with the Novas maybe. As far as CTA canning buses at the 12 year mark, I don't think they've ever done that. That seems to be what Pace does. Usually CTA rehabs buses and keeps them for 15-17 years, but if they keep the buses they will be stuck hiring back mechanics because they will need them unless there going to turn over a new leaf and follow the FTA guidelines.

As far as having parts compatible they have fareboxes and clever devices equipment on them in case something fails on the newer buses.

Those are always scavenged off the buses before they are taken out as scrap, or in the NABIs' case, out of service. IIRC, CTA hasn't bought a fare box in 25 years. Hence, the only argument would be whether garage staff would have to scrounge up a fare box from elsewhere were it to take a hold bus out of storage that was missing its farebox. However, neither seems to be the kind of cannibalization usually considered, such as pulling the engine out of a bus with an irreparable frame

In both CTA's and Pace's cases, going beyond the 12 year FTA guideline seems more a function of whether capital funds are available, although it seems like CTA goes over more (but the Pace Orions now being replaced are 18 years old). The 5800s were retired earlier than most of us figured, and those were the only CTA buses that seemed to get a complete half life rebuild.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was told just last day that there are a batch of CTA buses at 92nd/Ewing ready for the shredder. I dont know how many but I was told that a few are numbered 6000s. If anyone goes near there, can maybe confirm this.

• 2 months later...

New guy here,I'm a Chicago and San Francisco/Bay area bus fan.Since I grew up in both GREAT cities smile.gif

Anyways kinda weird on Tuesday night I drove around FG garage and noticed 4-5 flx 6000's on the back lot the one that STILL has a TMC 4900 parked in it. 2 or 3 of the buses where ON and idling ?? It was late evening,To dark to get fleet #'s

And last night I went by again and they where shut off and hiding behind a Nova

Just to note,I guess not ALL 6000's have gone to archer for storage ??

How do you feel about the CTA bringing back the old Flxible 6000 buses back into service? Is it a good thing?

How do you feel about the CTA bringing back the old Flxible 6000 buses back into service? Is it a good thing?

I had replied to chitowndude's original post here, but deleted that when I realized that his post was 11 months old.

So, MRCTA, why are you bringing that up now?

This morning I went with my fire company down to the CFD repair shops at North/Throop.

There I found two of the CTA #6000 Flxibles that are getting a second life, joining the fire dept. fleet, parked in the yard. Not known yet where they will be assigned. I couldnt get close enough to get the numbers. What I do know is that the #5800 New Flyer is moving from its presnt location at Kedzie/Lake to Eng.107 at 1101 S.California which will put it in my response area, Im excited because I will now have the opportunity to get assigned to it when Im working at that station.

post-158-12948617159982_thumb.jpgpost-158-12948617318701_thumb.jpg

This morning I went with my my fire company down to the CFD repair shops at North/Throop.

There I found the two #6000 Flxibles that were at 77th, parked in the yard. Not known yet what theyre assignment will be. I couldnt get close enough to get the numbers.

post-158-12948617159982_thumb.jpgpost-158-12948617318701_thumb.jpg

First off, you would have to get really close to see the remains of the numbers as all outside color appears to be gone except for plain jane white.

Secondly, pure speculation, looks like the CFD is getting new Emergency Buses.

First off, you would have to get really close to see the remains of the numbers as all outside color appears to be gone except for plain jane white.

Secondly, pure speculation, looks like the CFD is getting new Emergency Buses.

As far as I know they are being used as "Mass Casualty vehicles". Possibly a third Flxible will be aquired. And there is word that a dedicated CFD Mass Casualty bus is in the works, to be built from the ground up.

Um ya thread from the dead lol blink.gif

Like most of us I love the "Old school" high floor buses,But I personally haven't seen any in service to ride on.But it comes down to the fact that the CTA is a major transit agency and old equipment isn't cost effective to operate/maintain for daily use.I guess if ridership increases (due to rising gas prices) then there could be a chance of more flx's coming back into service ?? Not sure if the CTA has much of a "reserve" fleet ??