Jump to content
sw4400

6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Johnny 5 said:

My best guess is it may be en route to 77th garage or 103rd for retirement.

Would be 77th (only the NABIs that were put out of their misery en masse at 103rd were retired there). Boneyard is usually on the side near 78th and Perry.

What would surprise some is that they were moving on their own power.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2016 at 10:26 AM, Johnny 5 said:

I saw a few of the 6400s that's heading south on the Dan Ryan this morning when we was on the Red Line. My best guess is it may be en route to 77th garage or 103rd for retirement.

If they were headed south because of retirement, the only place they'd be going  is 77th or more precisely South Shops, which is on the same property grounds as 77th garage. They wouldn't be sent to 103rd for that purpose because 103rd doesn't handle bus retirements outside of buses assigned to it that are set to retire. And again those would then be sent to South Shops like any other garage's retired buses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2016 at 10:45 AM, BusHunter said:

So I checked what #6400's were missing off the street this week. This is what I got missing.

#6468, #6473, #6482, #6488, #6562, #6578, #6724, #6755, #6764, #6769, #6798, #6812, #6814, #6866 and #6881.

Now I remember #6881, #6866, #6562 were all in the 3rd yard last weekend. I'll have to see if there still there. #6733 went back in service. Hopefully, it has a license plate cause my shots last week beg to differ. 9_9xD

I guess I'll remove the roster buses. According to what I have #6473, #6488, #6769 hasn't seen service in 3 weeks now. That would make eligible for removal.

So there are at least 109 6400 buses still in service? Notwithstanding if one or 2 not on that roster, were brought back to service after(I'd guess) being put in a LTH list.

I wonder if the CTA is trying to retire all the 6400s buses by the end of this year? I should get some pics inside one of those 6400s, before all of them are retired. Not surprised they are being retired, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2200SeriesFan said:

I wonder if the CTA is trying to retire all the 6400s buses by the end of this year? I should get some pics inside one of those 6400s, before all of them are retired. Not surprised they are being retired, though.

At least with regard to the 27 that are supposed to be replaced by electric buses, the answer is definitely no.

I would say at this point that we have to wait for capital budget season in about a month to get an inkling of other plans. However. that fleet should shrink somewhat now that this option is approx. complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way expect 6400s to stick around for the foreseeable future. They need another bus order to wipe out 100 buses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

No way expect 6400s to stick around for the foreseeable future. They need another bus order to wipe out 100 buses.

That's if it's even 100 buses to replace. We know about 27 will be replaced by electrics, so that already brings the number of new buses needed outside the electrics down to 73 at most. And of course part of that is likely excess junk that should have been knocked off months ago by buses that already came in. So those two factors alone make the number of new buses needed to knock out the rest of the 6400s between now and the year it may take to get a contract awarded and said chosen manufacturer for the electrics ready to deliver on the eventual order significantly less than it may appear. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cta wont can too many extras  cause it likes having  the bloated fleets. I dont know if 73 buses is that much of a change from 100. Its starting to look like they may not be executing the #8325's though and that hurts the chances of them canning more buses. Question of the hour for me is why do they still have base order buses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2016 at 8:34 AM, BusHunter said:

...On the streets I came across two buses that were having issues. #6585's back door was so creaky and loud it sounded like it belonged to the Addams Family. "It's creepy and it's spooky It's all together ookey...."

That would describe the entire CTA back in the '70's, as I recall from my childhood. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

That would describe the entire CTA back in the '70's, as I recall from my childhood. :)

Back with the Big Greens, or after the 1870 New Looks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Busjack said:

Back with the Big Greens, or after the 1870 New Looks?

I was thinking the 6000-series rail cars and the not-yet renovated "L" stations. The New Look buses were nice, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think the Authority will save six Nova Classic buses [whether 1st order or 2nd order I am imspecific] for the Heritage Fleet; and those buses will run weekends on route #88 Higgins. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

I still think the Authority will save six Nova Classic buses [whether 1st order or 2nd order I am imspecific] for the Heritage Fleet; and those buses will run weekends on route #88 Higgins. ;)

What authority? Pace ran the Nova Classics, CTA never did.

PACE_Nova_2400.jpg

Embedded from Transit Talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

I still think the Authority will save six Nova Classic buses [whether 1st order or 2nd order I am imspecific] for the Heritage Fleet; and those buses will run weekends on route #88 Higgins. ;)

 

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

What authority? Pace ran the Nova Classics, CTA never did.

PACE_Nova_2400.jpg

Embedded from Transit Talk.

"We don't save buses, kid. We kick a** for not taking good quality pictures!!!"

-The Authority(of Pictures) :D 

 

Triple-H Blank 1.jpg

Stephanie McMahon Blank 1.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

"We don't save buses, kid. We kick a** for not taking good quality pictures!!!"

Speaking of which, you don't hear of any of the Levesque daughters training in the Calgary Dungeon to take on Charlotte Flair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my personal opinion: I think CTA should purchase >100 more artics to flush the remaining 6400 Series Novas out of service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChicagoNova said:

Just my personal opinion: I think CTA should purchase >100 more artics to flush the remaining 6400 Series Novas out of service.

  • There was the part of this solicitation for artics, apparently for the Ashland BRT, that never advanced.
  • In that 77th wouldn't run artics after the 4300s were freed up from Red Line service, there is nowhere else to house them. FG and 74th don't have the facilities, and really how many more would would one need out of NP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Busjack said:
  • There was the part of this solicitation for artics, apparently for the Ashland BRT, that never advanced.
  • In that 77th wouldn't run artics after the 4300s were freed up from Red Line service, there is nowhere else to house them. FG and 74th don't have the facilities, and really how many more would would one need out of NP?

Then maybe opening up another garage would be an option as far as freeing up space from a garage is concerned in case it doesn't have anymore room for artics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChicagoNova said:

Then maybe opening up another garage would be an option as far as freeing up space from a garage is concerned in case it doesn't have anymore room for artics.

There was talk about the Fisk garage, but that appears to be another Claypool scam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Fisk Garage talk was well over a year ago and getting close to two years now.   Certainly there should have been a study done by now if the city and CTA week serious.   Perhaps the community quashed the idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The Fisk Garage talk was well over a year ago and getting close to two years now.   Certainly there should have been a study done by now if the city and CTA week serious.   Perhaps the community quashed the idea

I tend to agree with you, but again think we should wait about a month for the capital budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick scan of #6400's over the last two weeks shows #6468 hasn't been in service in 3 weeks. In fact this week was sort of funny nothing below #6470 showed up all week making me think the #6460's were history but #6466 popped up one day thurs or fri. Nothing else really stands out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2016 at 8:53 AM, Busjack said:

What authority? Pace ran the Nova Classics, CTA never did.

 

Embedded from Transit Talk.

Which bus series do I have to specify?!

Is it Nova Bus "A"

Or "B"

Or "C"

or the 40-footers

or LFS. Or WHAT Busjack?!

I specify whatever buses the Chicago Transit Authority numbered 6400-6884 has run on its routes.

Geez! I expect better than to be nitpicked for not referring to the  correct nomenclature of a bus which even somebody daft about transit vehicles would recognize on this forum!

Anyhow, on Wednesday night, I was unfortunate to wind up on a Forest Glen garage bus, #6553. Believe me, this bus should be retired right now. It did not display either its end destination [Lake Shore / Diversey]{are you going to call me out for having the 'wrong' destination for eastbound route #77 buses?!}, or even its garage run number. Further, and which is more important to the Authority - it took six touches of my Ventra card before it recognized this was me. My bus operator told me it would take multiple presses to the pad. He was correct.

So here are what should be the last-ever images of #6553. My commiserations {ha ha! I spelled that correctly ~ no snagging me there}} to any operators at Forest Glen garage who get stuck having to run this vehicle.

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

Which bus series do I have to specify?!

Is it Nova Bus "A"

Or "B"

Or "C"

or the 40-footers

or LFS. Or WHAT Busjack?!

I specify whatever buses the Chicago Transit Authority numbered 6400-6884 has run on its routes.

Geez! I expect better than to be nitpicked for not referring to the  correct nomenclature of a bus which even somebody daft about transit vehicles would recognize on this forum!

Anyhow, on Wednesday night, I was unfortunate to wind up on a Forest Glen garage bus, #6553. Believe me, this bus should be retired right now. It did not display either its end destination [Lake Shore / Diversey]{are you going to call me out for having the 'wrong' destination for eastbound route #77 buses?!}, or even its garage run number. Further, and which is more important to the Authority - it took six touches of my Ventra card before it recognized this was me. My bus operator told me it would take multiple presses to the pad. He was correct.

So here are what should be the last-ever images of #6553. My commiserations {ha ha! I spelled that correctly ~ no snagging me there}} to any operators at Forest Glen garage who get stuck having to run this vehicle.

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

If the bus had all that going on, especially a barely function Ventra reader with potential double or triple charge a passenger because of how many times a card needs to be tapped, yeah it should be sidelined at the very least. (Though you could have given us the report without the almost borderline forum rule infractions to counter being told of incorrect bus model names in your prior posts. There are ways to counter the point without getting too hostile especially when that point wasn't really made to you in any confrontational manner:))

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Live" list 12/20/16

6466,6468,6470,6472-6474,6477,6488

6553,6554,6558,6562,6564,6572,6574,6576,6577,6579,6581,6585

6671,6674,6675,6678,6679,6681,6682,6684,6686,6687,6691,6692,6694,6696,6697,6699

6700,6704-6706,6710,6713,6714,6722,6724,6730,6733,6734,6736,6737,6751,6755,6758,6759,6761,6763,6764,6770-6772,6776,6780,6784,6787,6792,6794,6799

6802,6803,6805,6810,6814,6820,6824,6826,6834-6838,6842,6843,6846,6847,6849,6854,6856,6858-6862,6865,6867-6871,6873,6875,6877,6882

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×