6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

1 hour ago, TGP01 said:

6882 is on route 171 right now.  6882    171: U. of Chicago/Hyde Park    171 -151    1 (103rd)

Running it on the 28 really does not make much sense to me, 171, 172, and maybe 111A and 100 would make more sense.

Running 6882 on the 28 wouldn't be bad as long as it isn’t going downtown.   

Just now, Shannoncvpi said:

Why not let it go downtown 

I'm a believer that you keep your oldest equipment on light routes and routes as close to the garage as possible.   Older equipment has a higher likelihood of breaking down.   If you have old equipment on light routes, it impacts less people should a breakdown occur.  If old equipment is close to the garage, swapping out equipment becomes easier and minimizes the impacts of service dusruption

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I'm a believer that you keep your oldest equipment on light routes and routes as close to the garage as possible.   Older equipment has a higher likelihood of breaking down.   If you have old equipment on light routes, it impacts less people should a breakdown occur.  If old equipment is close to the garage, swapping out equipment becomes easier and minimizes the impacts of service dusruption

North Park with the 147, unless it only goes to Devon

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I tho k its 50/50 cuz new equipment breaks down alot also imo I think the 6400's are more reliable then the 7900's the way they build new stuff is just cheap af

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I tho k its 50/50 cuz new equipment breaks down alot also imo I think the 6400's are more reliable then the 7900's the way they build new stuff is just cheap af

You’re right but should an 18-20 year old engine that never real picked up high speeds in the first place be forced to hit the highway? That’s the whole point of me advocating FG as another place to keep them because they mainly take the streets when deadheading to/from the glen. A feeder working from 103rd could do the same by taking the streets back from the red line 

12 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

You’re right but should an 18-20 year old engine that never real picked up high speeds in the first place be forced to hit the highway? That’s the whole point of me advocating FG as another place to keep them because they mainly take the streets when deadheading to/from the glen. A feeder working from 103rd could do the same by taking the streets back from the red line 

Aw yea FG dont hit the highway much but if garages got the 6400's I say use em but on the other hand like some of the 6400's are good let em work I just say that cuz any other bus 3 has could break down at any given moment just like a a car I'll trust my 09 crown vic driving it to cali before I'll trust a 2021-2022 car cuz I built my car vs a car that was even more cheaply thrown together & just thrown out the factory

7 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

The difference is that usually the new equipment breakdowns are technology or computer related as opposed to older equipment which is mechanically related.  With higher mileage and age, more parts are prone to failure.  

In that regard you could make a case for a teething period for new buses, but generally they are delivered by driving on the highway, so they are somewhat proven.  I will put a newer bus on the highway before the oldest bus.  But sometimes you have to do what you gave to do.

12 hours ago, artthouwill said:

This is why I think 111A would be a good option.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

If every garage is going to have them why not so like with artics and have a special roster of light routes for them? 

The only reason 74th and FG don't have artics is because they don't have lifts to support 60ft buses at those garages.   While 103rd, K, and NP have consistently had artics, 77th and C had artics assigned to them as well.   If CTA ever gets around to modifying those lifts at FG and 74th, assigning artics to those two garages wouldn't be out of the question. 

While the artics are pld and eligible for retirement, they are nearly a decade younger than the 6400s, and considering that CTA has a surplus of artics, they aren't as worn as the 6400s.  There are reasons why CTA is retiring the 6400s, but you don't want to run them in the ground before their replacements arrive.

17 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The only reason 74th and FG don't have artics is because they don't have lifts to support 60ft buses at those garages.   While 103rd, K, and NP have consistently had artics, 77th and C had artics assigned to them as well.   If CTA ever gets around to modifying those lifts at FG and 74th, assigning artics to those two garages wouldn't be out of the question. 

While the artics are pld and eligible for retirement, they are nearly a decade younger than the 6400s, and considering that CTA has a surplus of artics, they aren't as worn as the 6400s.  There are reasons why CTA is retiring the 6400s, but you don't want to run them in the ground before their replacements arrive.

My point in bringing up artics was per your suggestion of keeping novas restricted to lighter routes. I was saying if cta sticks with keeping 6400s spread out among all garages then why not develop a certain roster for lighter routes similar to what they do to keep pulls outs that make sure certain runs stay artic  and make sure the 6400s stay on feeders or light routes? That way you have them as emergency back up but don’t risk any major disruptions and wear and tear. The last place a 6400 should be is on LSD especially with the ground the way it is around Soldier field

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

My point in bringing up artics was per your suggestion of keeping novas restricted to lighter routes. I was saying if cta sticks with keeping 6400s spread out among all garages then why not develop a certain roster for lighter routes similar to what they do to keep pulls outs that make sure certain runs stay artic  and make sure the 6400s stay on feeders or light routes? That way you have them as emergency back up but don’t risk any major disruptions and wear and tear. The last place a 6400 should be is on LSD especially with the ground the way it is around Soldier field

I got that which is why I mentioned the 2 garages that currently don't have artics.  

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I got that which is why I mentioned the 2 garages that currently don't have artics.  

Ah what I’m saying is all garages should have a special roster for novas in which they only stay in certain routes and I’m saying ALL garages have one or more routes that qualifies. 95th red line feeders for 103rd, JP routes for FG, Midway routes for 74th, 96 and the Evanston’s for NP, 35/39 out of K, 8A, 43 and 51 out of 77th and 57, 73 and 54B out of Chicago. Just like the artic garages only send artics on routes like J14 only send Novas on these routes at each garage

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Ah what I’m saying is all garages should have a special roster for novas in which they only stay in certain routes and I’m saying ALL garages have one or more routes that qualifies. 95th red line feeders for 103rd, JP routes for FG, Midway routes for 74th, 96 and the Evanston’s for NP, 35/39 out of K, 8A, 43 and 51 out of 77th and 57, 73 and 54B out of Chicago. Just like the artic garages only send artics on routes like J14 only send Novas on these routes at each garage

I'm with you  on that, though that only will last as long as the 6400s do.  Once they are done,  I guess you could shift the oldest 1000s in their place.