6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

11 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

You Know if or when they’ll return to F? And nice to see 6836 back there finally it’s spotted. Or it’s okay if they run on C routes too.

Naw I'm not sure when they gone go back to FG I just said let me ride on the other side see if they still here 

4 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Anyone know the issue that is with 6706 that came up in mid to late November? Noticed one of the tail lights was already falling off in the photo above^^^ meaning it hasn't been touched for some time by now

Naw not sure may have just fell out

6 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Anyone know the issue that is with 6706 that came up in mid to late November? Noticed one of the tail lights was already falling off in the photo above^^^ meaning it hasn't been touched for some time by now

A combo of old bus parts already being hard to find and a pandemic making it even harder to get the part in a timely fashion when finally found.  My repairs went from 20-30 min/a day tops to having a month waitlist just to get a tune up 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Not too many 6400s are running. I wonder why bring them back to run 2 in the rush or 1 in the non rush? 

I guess it's good to have spares around.   The 6400s can do that until the new Novas come.  Besides,  it looks like the city is ramping up for the summer with relaxing COVID restrictions.   Those old Novas could come in handy,  even if they are cooling buses or the dreaded cop deployment buses.

The same 8 or 9 novas have been out for AM/PM rush periods but what puzzles me is why are the rest of them at the other garages are just sitting around? The boneyard has dwindled in a size to the point where a lot of the #6400s that were axed earlier this spring have vanished from being back there.  77th for sure could use the extra help on certain days.

2 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

The same 8 or 9 novas have been out for AM/PM rush periods but what puzzles me is why are the rest of them at the other garages just sitting around? The boneyard has dwindled in a size to the point where a lot of the #6400s that were axed earlier this spring have vanished from being back there.  77th for sure could use the extra help on certain days.

When you have old equipment you move heaven and hell to only use it when you HAVE to nuff said lmao. Those same 8-9 novas might be the most problem free and the ones at other garages are basically most likely emergency use only. Especially with parts taking super long to arrrive with covid issues

Ridership too is still down, so theres really no need for them but they make nice cooling buses. That's why they have the reduced passes. Downtown is still hurting, so I guess theres no need to move any artics just yet. Probably for the fall pick I see things going more back to normal cause most schools will be full in person. It remains to be seen if downtown will return but it will most likely take time. How long is anyone's guess!!

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Ridership too is still down, so theres really no need for them but they make nice cooling buses. That's why they have the reduced passes. Downtown is still hurting, so I guess theres no need to move any artics just yet. Probably for the fall pick I see things going more back to normal cause most schools will be full in person. It remains to be seen if downtown will return but it will most likely take time. How long is anyone's guess!!

Well whatever returns to service that's working still like the ones that are active (6755 was active once last month but now it's gone) and I need to ride one again lol. I just saw 6875 earlier this morning and that bus had the classic nova LFS smell I missed for 4 long months. And lol I can tell you that the upper 68xx's that were at 77th years ago probably has the best smell vibe.  I missed smelling that and I'm glad they're not done yet. Didn't ride it though I wish but I was recording that bus and that driver honked at me for some reason lol   

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Sounds like the old novas are starting to appear midday now. The run that 6875 was on (90 Harlem) becomes a 84 Peterson run during the midday. That’s cool the buses are being used midday now, that means they’ll soon be doing full-time runs 

Not necessarily.   That bus could have been our due to maintenance issues.  Some buses may have needed repairs while Some other buses were due for scheduled maintenence.   Those could have caused a shortage during the morning rush requiring use of some spares, 6875 bring one.