6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

Just wanted to give an update on the #6400's, every bus that was up on the 79th Street fence was removed last week to the boneyard including buses that were scheduled for return to FG before the fire on #6860. I've been back there and with little activity from that area other than #4000's and #4300's getting serviced I believe that whatever is left among the other garages will get used for non revenue service or sent down to SS for storage and or scrap. I doubt Kedzie,74th and 103rd will be using those buses unless there is a dire need to because I don't believe 77th will at this point. 

13 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Just wanted to give an update on the #6400's, every bus that was up on the 79th Street fence was removed last week to the boneyard including buses that were scheduled for return to FG before the fire on #6860. I've been back there and with little activity from that area other than #4000's and #4300's getting serviced I believe that whatever is left among the other garages will get used for non revenue service or sent down to SS for storage and or scrap. I doubt Kedzie,74th and 103rd will be using those buses unless there is a dire need to because I don't believe 77th will at this point. 

So then FG most likely will not get those #6400's back?

I guess only time will tell.

also, are they deep in the boneyard?

Just now, TGP01 said:

So then FG most likely will not get those #6400's back?

I guess only time will tell.

also, are they deep in the boneyard?

Yeah SS recently rearranged the most recent additions to the boneyard to prepare for the upcoming accusations of what I can assume are the #4300's getting rehabbed and also space for the remaining #6400's not there currently. There is a lot of space back there now to put buses in with more previous #6400s getting hauled off for scrap.

18 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Wow so looks like that range of buses failed-or they're just in the boneyard to give room to other buses. Did you know if 6860 went to a scrapper yet?

Just now, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Wow so looks like that range of buses failed-or they're just in the boneyard to give room to other buses. Did you know if 6860 went to a scrapper yet?

I haven't seen it back there, I only went back for there for a quick scope I didn't have much time to go in depth like I normally do but the only #6400 not back there is #6472. 

1 minute ago, YoungBusLover said:

I haven't seen it back there, I only went back for there for a quick scope I didn't have much time to go in depth like I normally do but the only #6400 not back there is #6472. 

Oh okay. Now I’m wondering if any of the other novas at the garages (except k since they got the new stickers) will deliver them to 77th

4 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Oh okay. Now I’m wondering if any of the other novas at the garages (except k since they got the new stickers) will deliver them to 77th

Well with it being nearly a month since the fire and them being pulled OOS I don't see them coming back. The CTA can live without them along with FG. Now if things were pre-pandemic they would of been gone by last year or at least down to a smaller margin. 

Just now, YoungBusLover said:

Well it being nearly a month since the fire and them being pulled OOS I don't see them coming back. The CTA can live without them along with FG. Now if things were pre-pandemic they would of been gone by last year or at least down to a smaller margin. 

Yeah I think you're right. FG has enough flyers without giving other garages a shortage of buses. It's going to be sad not listening to ISC's anymore but the flyers are just as good which is a positive. 

4 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Yeah I think you're right. FG has enough flyers without giving other garages a shortage of buses. It's going to be sad not listening to ISC's anymore but the flyers are just as good which is a positive. 

Yeah, 18-20 years is a good enough run they've had with CTA better than the #4400's,#5300's,#6000's and #9400's.

Just now, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah, 18-20 years is a good enough run they've had with CTA better than the #4400's,#5300's,#6000's and #9400's.

Yep. I wish they stayed but they too old they get failures a lot and it'd be better to live with rehabbed flyers and newer models of novas. I'm surprised the DE60LF's are still running well without rehabs

On 3/23/2021 at 12:49 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Yep. I wish they stayed but they too old they get failures a lot and it'd be better to live with rehabbed flyers and newer models of novas. I'm surprised the DE60LF's are still running well without rehabs

6836 is on the 79th fence at 77th. If they are going to get junked why is that bus up there? Didnt see any at 74th.