The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

Problem: Broken axle= major repairs and down time which means mega $$ to fix this bus to be operable. .. Solution: Bus 5492 has just become a scrap...
Weren't you the one that said Chicago was getting 1000s because it had 5300s to be replaced? Isn't this one of them?

Weren't you the one that said Chicago was getting 1000s because it had 5300s to be replaced? Isn't this one of them?

No, I believe you have me confused with buslover88. I know that the 5300's are getting replaced soon, but I never made such a statement.

Today at Milwaukee/Kimball/Diversey, I saw #47-- sitting out of service, broken down. It was on the #82 Kimball-Homan route. It had it's engine door open, no passengers were on the bus, a tow truck was sitting there, and a supervisor and the bus driver were outside of the bus. I had my camera with me, but the #56 Milwaukee bus I was on sped by the bus.

Today at Milwaukee/Kimball/Diversey, I saw #47-- sitting out of service, broken down. It was on the #82 Kimball-Homan route. It had it's engine door open, no passengers were on the bus, a tow truck was sitting there, and a supervisor and the bus driver were outside of the bus. I had my camera with me, but the #56 Milwaukee bus I was on sped by the bus.

It just seems that a day in the CTA would not be a good one unless a bus broke down.

*Axle*

Problem: Broken axle= major repairs and down time which means mega $$ to fix this bus to be operable.

Solution: Bus 5492 has just become a scrap/parts bus. Farewell 5492! :(

And to think, I rode #5492 just two weeks ago :( . Pitty, pitty. I used to ride #5492 a lot on #76 Diversey and 2 times on #72 North. Goodbye #5492, you'll be missed alot be me!

And to think, I rode #5492 just two weeks ago :( . Pitty, pitty. I used to ride #5492 a lot on #76 Diversey and 2 times on #72 North. Goodbye #5492, you'll be missed alot be me!

Don't be so worried, there are still about 120 remaining 1991 Flxibles on the CTA fleet.

Don't be so worried, there are still about 120 remaining 1991 Flxibles on the CTA fleet.

You are half right and half wrong. If someone is a huge Flxible fan then they don't care what number the bus is, they just care if its a Flxible. Others can get attached to one certain bus and they have the right to be worried when that bus gets retired.

It sucks to see any Flxible getting retired. There are good buses to drive i never drove a cta one. But drove our Flxible ie 9013 and its about the same as a cta 5000s. There are great buses to drive u just fall in love in them when u hit the drivers seat. Also there getting replace by buses that look likes boxes on wheels to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:o This may not qualify as a breakdown but I thought you would appreciate this.

I boarded southbound #147 at the Howard terminal and it was being worked by a New Flyer 58xx. The driver was lady who seemed to have a mission! :) When we got on Lake Shore Dr around Lawrence or so the bus slowed down and she pulled over. She then got off the bus and I noticed the panel under the driver's window had opened to a 90 degree angle. :o She closed it and we resumed the trip. The panel opened again but this time she closed it from inside the bus. I guess anything can happen on the CTA.

Gene King

Just saw #5492 yesterday operating on Pulaski @ 16th. I guess she is still running.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aren't bus drivers entitled to lunch breaks? I remember you saying that a 270 bus sitting for 50 minutes at Golf Mill, per schedule (because the interline with 208 was broken), may have been because the driver was on lunch break. I've also seen people in Pace uniforms eating at fast food places around there.

Yeah, once I was on the 49B North Western and the driver stops and gets out to go to the 7-11 @ Peterson/Western. I guess he needed a bathroom break.

I also remember a bus driver stopping near a gas station @ Oakton/Dodge on route 97 Skokie to wash his windshield.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, once I was on the 49B North Western and the driver stops and gets out to go to the 7-11 @ Peterson/Western. I guess he needed a bathroom break.

I also remember a bus driver stopping near a gas station @ Oakton/Dodge on route 97 Skokie to wash his windshield.

Today I spotted New Flyer Hybrid #908 at 16/Pulaski being towed by the wrecker to Kedzie Gar.

Must have been operating #16- 16th/18th. First time I've heard about Hybrid breakdowns.

That's 18 16th/18th actually. The number 16 belonged to the now defunct 16 Lake. This isn't the first time for a hybrid breakdown either. A few months ago, 901 and 907 broke down on the 12 Roosevelt on the same day within a couple of hours of each other. 901 had broken down at Kedzie and Roosevelt, while 907 broke down at Racine.

That's 18 16th/18th actually. The number 16 belonged to the now defunct 16 Lake. This isn't the first time for a hybrid breakdown either. A few months ago, 901 and 907 broke down on the 12 Roosevelt on the same day within a couple of hours of each other. 901 had broken down at Kedzie and Roosevelt, while 907 broke down at Racine.

Ohh Im remember that route #16- Lake, I rode it back in 1995.