The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

16 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I saw that bus this morning burning blue smoke could mean a multitude of issues. More than likely either oil or coolant is burning. The bus runs just fine, I had it not to long ago. A lot of Flyers from all blocks ranging from 1000 - 2029 burn oil from time to time. 

Oil seals are bad in that bus that started happening to my crown vic I had if I left it running idling for a while then hit the gas it would blow blue smoke 

• Upvote 1

I saw that bus this morning burning blue smoke could mean a multitude of issues. More than likely either oil or coolant is burning. The bus runs just fine, I had it not to long ago. A lot of Flyers from all blocks ranging from 1000 - 2029 burn oil from time to time. 

Yea the oil seals or the valve covers when bad my crown vic started doing that after idling for a few mins

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Oil seals are bad in that bus that started happening to my crown vic I had if I left it running idling for a while then hit the gas it would blow blue smoke 

More than likely if that's the case how much longer would that bus be able to run like that before the engine itself goes bad?

Now if it were coolant then it would be a different story.

Yea cause it would run hot or it a be a crack in the block it's just the seals or gasket went bad I thought I had a blown head until I got to school & me & teacher found it I needed valve covers & oil seals 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

#8047 had the worst possible place to breakdown this morning while working 63rd. Seems like it may of stalled out or had some transmission malfunction under the viaduct at 63rd and State and eventually was towed out after 30 minutes of sitting there blocking traffic going EB. 

Absolutely bad.  Once you go under the first viaduct east of Wentworth, it's a wrap.  Cars might be able to make a U turn between viaduct, but that's very risky because the center pillars make it hard to see cars from the other direction and a lot of cars don't use their headlights through that stretch.  Buses can't tur around at all and the viaduct is to narrow for both directions to share.  Obviously the worst viaduct is the one that has the railyard over it.

13 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

#8047 had the worst possible place to breakdown this morning while working 63rd. Seems like it may of stalled out or had some transmission malfunction under the viaduct at 63rd and State and eventually was towed out after 30 minutes of sitting there blocking traffic going EB. 

Yea it's hard to do a straight u turn under there & that's messed up but funny lmfao

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Like I said maybe Chicago was closest.   Why pass a garage to get to another garage?  Of it was something major, it would have been towed to SS.

I was wondering that too, if another garage has the same fleet as the assigned garage the bus was being towed to then why not send that bus to a nearby garage to get it fixed instead of having it being sent all across the city so that they can fix it with same parts they fix their buses from maintenance when it comes to one fleet?

8 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

I was wondering that too, if another garage has the same fleet as the assigned garage the bus was being towed to then why not send that bus to a nearby garage to get it fixed instead of having it being sent all across the city so that they can fix it with same parts they fix their buses from maintenance when it comes to one fleet?

That does make sense to do