The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

8144 will be out of commission for a while. That's if it gets a repair. It caught fire yesterday morning according to a CBS 2 news clip I spotted through YouTube. They say the fire started from the engine. No injuries and no passengers on board at the time. There is fire damage at the rear, mainly some melting of the top rear panels, though it doesn't look as severe as on 4333 when it caught fire years ago during its first winter in service if I'm remembering the timeframe correctly.

Whether it gets repaired or not will probably depend on how much frame damage was done.    

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Whether it gets repaired or not will probably depend on how much frame damage was done.    

Exactly bro all depends if the frame hurt its retired it will stay in the boneyard till cta scrap it or till the 7900's old enought to retire then scrap it like 4300's their not old enought to be retired so thats why 4323 is sitting in the yard as a parts bus till it gets scarpped but depends on how cta feels cause 4333 I think been scapped cause its not in the boneyard 

2 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Exactly bro all depends if the frame hurt its retired it will stay in the boneyard till cta scrap it or till the 7900's old enought to retire then scrap it like 4300's their not old enought to be retired so thats why 4323 is sitting in the yard as a parts bus till it gets scarpped but depends on how cta feels cause 4333 I think been scapped cause its not in the boneyard 

#4333 should be in between west shops and the garage of Vincennes ave I think

2 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

A friend rode 8257 this morning on the 92, the bus broke down at around 7:30 am on foster & Cicero heading east. Bus shut down and would not restart.

I wonder if the driver tried ( or allowed to) restart the bus from the rear?   Years ago i was driving a commuter route to Gary and as I was exiting the Indians Toll Road, my bus shut off.   I was able to get on the exit ramp.  I couldn't restart the bus.  U saw i had plenty of fuel and the bus wasn't overheated.  I decided to leave the master switch on and see if I could start the bus from the back.   It worked.  Once it started,  I flipped the rear starter switch from rear start back to front start and finished the run 

I guess buses are designed to run in the rear start position for a limited time (maybe a couple of hoyrs).  Sometimes mechanics or feelers  or those who check fluids shut the bus down and restart the bus Fri the rear but forget to flip the switch back to front start 

Can't say for sure this happened here, but it's a possibility  

31 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I wonder if the driver tried ( or allowed to) restart the bus from the rear?   Years ago i was driving a commuter route to Gary and as I was exiting the Indians Toll Road, my bus shut off.   I was able to get on the exit ramp.  I couldn't restart the bus.  U saw i had plenty of fuel and the bus wasn't overheated.  I decided to leave the master switch on and see if I could start the bus from the back.   It worked.  Once it started,  I flipped the rear starter switch from rear start back to front start and finished the run 

I guess buses are designed to run in the rear start position for a limited time (maybe a couple of hoyrs).  Sometimes mechanics or feelers  or those who check fluids shut the bus down and restart the bus Fri the rear but forget to flip the switch back to front start 

When you say from the back you mean flipping the hood behind the bus? 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Well now only supervisors and mechanics have keys to unlock certain components on the buses we have now. Sometimes they'll attempt to reset the battery to try and jump start the bus but if all else fails the mechanics will come and try to retify the problem since they have more equipment. Normally a hard reset will work. The Flyers are alot different than the novas are though so the process could be a bit different.

3 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Well now only supervisors and mechanics have keys to unlock certain components on the buses we have now. Sometimes they'll attempt to reset the battery to try and jump start the bus but if all else fails the mechanics will come and try to retify the problem since they have more equipment. Normally a hard reset will work. The Flyers are alot different than the novas are though so the process could be a bit different.

With the way school kids used to open hoods and shut fown buses, I guess it makes sense for CTA to restrict access to the engine compartment.    Also I thought about work rules that might protect drivers from possible injury messing around in the engine compartment.   Some companies don't allow drivers to touch anything while other companies have their drivers check and fill fluids.  I know drivers that can change belts (alternator belts).

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

i see it happen plenty of times on the 1000’s 

seems as the 7900’s get the bigger beat down then 1000’s

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

With the way school kids used to open hoods and shut fown buses, I guess it makes sense for CTA to restrict access to the engine compartment.    Also I thought about work rules that might protect drivers from possible injury messing around in the engine compartment.   Some companies don't allow drivers to touch anything while other companies have their drivers check and fill fluids.  I know drivers that can change belts (alternator belts).

You're correct, now sometimes you'll see some operators out here locking and unlocking those compartments if they were lucky enough to get a key but I've only see that a rare amount of times. It does still post a safety risk though when those doors are left unlocked by accident.

On 2/28/2022 at 8:48 PM, artthouwill said:

Yeah that's why I didn't want to speculate too far on that front because the video alone doesn't provide any clues about frame damage. All we could see really is obvious outer cosmetic damage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This morning one of the new #8325's needed a tow from Cumberland Belmont terminal saw it going to work shortly after 5am. Then I saw around 730 #1941 being hooked up to truck #250 at Fullerton and Kostner. It might have been the same wrecker at Belmont. It was the small one. Then a few minutes before the kostner appearance, I saw the other truck #250 on Pulaski. So I saw 3 trucks but maybe the same one twice.

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

This morning one of the new #8325's needed a tow from Cumberland Belmont terminal saw it going to work shortly after 5am. Then I saw around 730 #1941 being hooked up to truck #250 at Fullerton and Kostner. It might have been the same wrecker at Belmont. It was the small one. Then a few minutes before the kostner appearance, I saw the other truck #250 on Pulaski. So I saw 3 trucks but maybe the same one twice.

that one was 8348 just checked maths

• 4 weeks later...