The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

52 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

they’ll still tow ia Tribube t to the nearest garage from the breakdown point if the garage has the stuff needed to fix the cause of breakdown no point sending it half way across the city 

I remember a Tribune story about life inside the 77th Garage when the 2 Hyde Park Exp. went to the north side (that's reflected in a 1985 map) that when one of the buses  broke down on the north side, it was taken to Kedzie.

After having dealt with a maddening delay on the 136 Friday afternoon, I figured today I'd just brave the traffic of Michigan Ave and the crowds to take a 147. Huge mistake. Got to Ida B Wells and Michigan, the tracker tells me 1760 would be the next bus in five minutes. That five minutes later tracker was still saying five minutes until 1760 leaves. Mind you I could see it sitting on layover on Congress Plaza. Over the next minutes, the prediction for it would drop no lower than three minutes. By that point, it finally says delayed and that 1812 would be the next bus in the next five minutes. Again after that time interval, the tracker was still saying another three minutes. After another ten minutes of the tracker staying frozen on a three minute prediction for that bus, that one then showed delayed with the tracker at that point saying 4339 would be next in three minutes. After five minutes of that, that bus was stuck at a three minute prediction. At this point, I'm beyond irritated and angry because besides those three buses mentioned, 4365 is also sitting over there after having pulled up a few minutes after the last point I checked the tracker. On top of that,  over a half an hour has passed, and two supervisors are over there in addition to the four operators driving the 147s that were in sight. Between the six of them total, it was not looking they could figure out which of those buses would leave next. But I guess 1760 and 1812 both broke down because they both popped up delayed on the tracker before disappearing of the tracker altogether. I'd still more than had enough after that and took a quick ride on a 126 and caught a 136 home. Bad enough traffic on DLSD was slow due to a combination of heavier than usual traffic up to about Fullerton and the surface of the two right northbound lanes being stripped as part of the north end DLSD roadwork that just started today. 

UPDATE: 1760 showed up on the tracker on the 147, set to pass the stop I usually leave that route (or 136) close to an hour after I would have been getting to that stop had it left downtown at its original time during my commute home. So whatever issue was going on with the bus was resolved, or the original operator in question somehow changed buses with one who had an artic. That of course would be an extremely stupid reason why those other riders and I encountered that crazy delay on the 147 this afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

That's kinda out of your range isn't it? AFAIK the 8 is the only route 77th has than runs north of Division.

I was on fall back at the time running some errands. That was the third bus I saw disabled today. The other two were #1197 and #1978 both of which were towed later on afterwards. ???

• 2 weeks later...

1767, the lone 40-footer on the 147, suffered a breakdown northbound at the Sheridan/Loyola bus stop shortly after 3 pm. The operator tried a restart per procedure but the cut engine light popped on as he explained it to us. He said he had a feeling the bus motor was going to give out soon from the way he could hear the fan from the outside start blowing much too high for today's lower and mid 70s temps outside.