More Bus Moves

sw4400

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

I'm not sure if FG is short but one could argue that they could have at least gotten some more #7900s or maybe #8000s instead of 74th's and 77th's #1000s. 

what was said is FG is tryna get rid of the 8200’s and 7900’s a lot of the operators are complaining about them so maintenance is tryna do something 

7 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

what was said is FG is tryna get rid of the 8200’s and 7900’s a lot of the operators are complaining about them so maintenance is tryna do something 

Lol they can complain all they want but FG operators will have to get use to those older 7900-8324 novas. The breaking isn’t as smooth as the 8325’s and up but it’s not horrible neither. Once you get use to the breaking it’s cool. I think FG will be all flyers just like they was all 6400 novas a few yrs back. 74th will get more new novas and possibly NP.

12 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I think FG will be all flyers just like they was all 6400 novas a few yrs back. 74th will get more new novas and possibly NP.

Might put themselves in a hole if they did that. If you divide all the flyers up you can keep them limited to rush hour extras/ smaller routes and keep wear and tear down on them. BUT Kedzie should rotate out artics to other garages to keep milage low

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Might put themselves in a hole if they did that. If you divide all the flyers up you can keep them limited to rush hour extras/ smaller routes and keep wear and tear down on them. BUT Kedzie should rotate out artics to other garages to keep milage low

Well as I do agree with you on the #1000s, the #7900s should also get evenly redistributed as well to all garages as the artics have become somewhat obsolete for usage around the system as a whole. I wasn't a big fan of them during the pandemic while they were at 77th. However, sending some back to 77th to be used for peak AM/PM service would cut down on the wear and tear that you're alluding to. I remember when I would somehow convince the signout personel to give me an Artic just so I could take it out on Halsted during the evening rush. Now the terminal space at Waveland was one of the sole reasons why they were banned from the route but they sure are helpful during this time of the year. I would also do the same thing on Cottage when I worked on the X4. I regret not pulling them out when I use to operate the Hyde Express though. 😅

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

remember when I would somehow convince the signout personel to give me an Artic just so I could take it out on Halsted during the evening rush. Now the terminal space at Waveland was one of the sole reasons why they were banned from the route

I would think they would be hard to navigate around Greektown and in the DePaul/Northasted area. Maybe you can comment on that.

On 9/12/2024 at 9:08 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

There’s a D40LF or a couple now daily on the 56 (weekdays). Idk abt the weekends tho. Block 56-454 on the weekdays is always a D40LF which is nice to see. D40LF’s barely run on the 90 but are there from time to time. 

Oh okay. I remember seeing D40LFs on Milwaukee a few other times but always figured it was because there weren't enough Novas those days. I didn't think they were still a regular thing on that route.😂

On 9/15/2024 at 11:47 AM, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

1027, 1224, 1267, 1100, 1369, 1371 are at F

Yeah I spotted 1371 on the 81 early this morning while waiting on the 9.

15 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Lol they can complain all they want but FG operators will have to get use to those older 7900-8324 novas. The breaking isn’t as smooth as the 8325’s and up but it’s not horrible neither. Once you get use to the breaking it’s cool. I think FG will be all flyers just like they was all 6400 novas a few yrs back. 74th will get more new novas and possibly NP.

There's zero evidence that says FG is going all NF. 

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Well the artic swap between K and NP does seem to be for that effect. I was actually just going to comment that it seems like what we're thought to be gains from NP looked to be more even a swap than thought because I've been seeing a few more artics on NP routes that were formerly K artics than what we've seen reported. 

35 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I would think they would be hard to navigate around Greektown and in the DePaul/Northasted area. Maybe you can comment on that.

Not necessarily, Halsted is similar to Kimball or Belmont in some aspects as far how wide and narrow the street can get at times. The only troublesome area for Artics is making the righthand turn from Broadway over to Waveland as parked autos already make the turn difficult with the street being diagonal to Waveland. The other issues is the restaurant corridor between Armitage and Willow. Double and sometimes triple parked autos can really make things difficult maneuvering around in those tight spaces. Outside of that the only other issue is the traffic during certain points of the day along certain corridors can really cause delays. I could name several but I think we all know where they are. Halsted is the only street outside of the 3,4, and 79 that could sustain a mixed fleet of 40/60 footers when scheduled properly.  I've always wanted Storage Hickory pull outs to have artics on them just to take on the crush loads from Division down to Root and vise versa going NB when schools let out around 2:30 - 3:00. Keeping 40 footers on runs going to 79th via Hickory just hepls maintain those 4 - 7 minute headways that in theory may or may not slow down the runs using artics on them. The very few dead heads to Randolph going SB would could use Artics as well.  As always it comes down to correct scheduling for the runs though which bus is put on them.

How come 6 is usually one of the last garages to get newer buses when it has the longest bus routes such as the 9, X9, 49, X49, 62 and 94. If the 1000s and 7900s at 7 are high in mileage where do the 1000s and 7900s at 6 stand in mileage? NP does help save 6 on the 49 and X49 but those other routes are pretty long. With the exception of FG getting the first 8350s, I thought they were going to be assigned based on which garage has the highest mileage routes. 

11 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

I thought they were going to be assigned based on which garage has the highest mileage routes. 

History has shown that they get assigned either because of politics (Archer before about 2009), most worn out buses (usually 77th) or in sequence based on what is being replaced. For instance. 7900-8324 were basically to replace 6400s. Apparently 103rd was short so some 8325s went there. Not all the 6400s were replaced, so FG got some 8350s. What's driving it now is how many 1000s belong in the boneyard, and I would guess how CTA is coping now is sending some 8700s to K to retire upper 1600s and sending 103rd buses to NP to try to cover 1700s-1800s not running there until NP gets through its training.