New Eldorados?

artthouwill

Upon further review, it does look like the flush mount windows from Pace 2010. What I find interesting was the bus #6385. I know that sometimes buses arrive here out of sequential order, but it is very possible that the expresses will be numbered #6385 - 6399, and any subsequent deliveries of Eldos could start at 6400.

Now I wonder if #2010, has the interior windows like #6385. From what I can tell it does. But still i don't understand how the hopper windows open, the outside frame would have to be smaller than the inner frame.

Now I wonder if #2010, has the interior windows like #6385. From what I can tell it does. But still i don't understand how the hopper windows open, the outside frame would have to be smaller than the inner frame.

The picture in the Eldorado National gallery* does not show transoms on the windows. Thus, the interior of the windows on 2010 is different than on the picture of 6385.

I suppose that one could try out that theory on 2830 and 2831 in Highland Park, which also have that kind of windows (Pace Facebook picture). You will note in that picture, that while the outer window is square, there is a black area "framing" the rounded rectangle, and the Pace logo is similar to that on 6385. While after an apparent absence, they have shown up sporadically on WebWatch, probably not enough to be able to track them down.

I wasn't able to track down much on manufacturers, but maybe this brochure on Ricon windows may help. Apparently these are the CityView hidden frame ones.

_________

*If the Flash gallery works in your browser, the path is enconline.com->Enter California->Product Line->Axess->Interior->second picture.

The picture in the Eldorado National gallery* does not show transoms on the windows. Thus, the interior of the windows on 2010 is different than on the picture of 6385.

I suppose that one could try out that theory on 2830 and 2831 in Highland Park, which also have that kind of windows (Pace Facebook picture). You will note in that picture, that while the outer window is square, there is a black area "framing" the rounded rectangle, and the Pace logo is similar to that on 6385. While after an apparent absence, they have shown up sporadically on WebWatch, probably not enough to be able to track them down.

I wasn't able to track down much on manufacturers, but maybe this brochure on Ricon windows may help. Apparently these are the CityView hidden frame ones.

_________

*If the Flash gallery works in your browser, the path is enconline.com->Enter California->Product Line->Axess->Interior->second picture.

Yeah your right only part of the window opens. I didn't notice that before. If that is on #2830-31, i wonder why they just didn't put those windows on the entire fleet of #6323's.

Yeah your right only part of the window opens. I didn't notice that before. If that is on #2830-31, i wonder why they just didn't put those windows on the entire fleet of #6323's.

• There is some sort of mechanism at the top of the windows on 6385, can't tell how it works.
  • With regard to 2830-2831, whatever they have has been standard issue on Orion VIIs.
  • Again, I can't tell for sure from the exterior view of the windows of 6385, but one would guess that if the windows are different, it was to give the express bus a more streamlined look, and maybe actually making it more streamlined. Not necessary for local buses.

• 3 weeks later...

Are these buses going to have rear destination signs?, after looking at pics of the rear, the box for the route number is gone and in its place is the fleet number instead.

Pics from Northern California Bus Fans: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/norcalbusfans/cGc6lZ2c8AQ

By "these," if you mean the Express ones, it sure looks like that.

On the regular ones, IIRC, the route number box is where it says pacebus.com, while the fleet number is about in the same place.

Or it might be for warnings to drivers on the expressway. Director Montana thought that something like "don't follow this bus" should be on the back of the BOS ones, but that didn't happen.

By "these," if you mean the Express ones, it sure looks like that.

On the regular ones, IIRC, the number box is where it says pacebus.com, while the fleet number is about in the same place.

Or it might be for warnings to drivers on the expressway. Director Montana thought that something like "don't follow this bus" should be on the back of the BOS ones, but that didn't happen.

There is some type of rectangular sign on the rear, Is it possible that that is a bigger rear destination sign giving the route description as well as the number? Seems too big to be a sign that says stop, like I have seen on a few buses in the loop. On second glance it does appear to be the same size as the side destination signs, so this may be an experiment they are trying out. The question is how far away can the sign be seen. By taking away the size of the sign they are going to make it harder to read.

Thanks. This means that the options for additional "regular" Axesses have not yet been exercised. But given that there was a break in the number blocks between the 1990 and 1993 Orion I buses (in which there were no upper 2100s at all, and that the 2200-2271 block was used by the Ikarus USA buses, and the 1993 Orion Is' numbering picked up right where the last Ikarus USA left off at 2272), I would not be surprised if the numbering for additional "regular" Axesses pick up at 6392.

It would have been difficult to identify this as a 6377 series bus except for the orange sign on the back showing up at the end of the clip. And we would not have noticed that if jesi hadn't noticed the sign first.

There is some type of rectangular sign on the rear, Is it possible that that is a bigger rear destination sign giving the route description as well as the number? Seems too big to be a sign that says stop, like I have seen on a few buses in the loop. On second glance it does appear to be the same size as the side destination signs, so this may be an experiment they are trying out. The question is how far away can the sign be seen. By taking away the size of the sign they are going to make it harder to read.

A lot of San Francisco's buses and trackless trolleys bought in the late 1990s through the previous decade had side-destination signs in the rear of their buses. It's not unheard of in the transit industry, but it's certainly rare.

6379 shows up on 877. Apparently only 6377-8 at Heritage.

attachicon.gif6379.jpg

Sounds like they're splitting the order between South and Heritage. I don't know if they're going to get rid of the leased buses for Heritage now. With 7-8 extra buses for Heritage, it all depends how much service was expanded for 755/855. Too bad they couldn't get the leased South buses to Heritage. At least they have destination signs.

Sounds like they're splitting the order between South and Heritage. I don't know if they're going to get rid of the leased buses for Heritage now. With 7-8 extra buses for Heritage, it all depends how much service was expanded for 755/855. Too bad they couldn't get the leased South buses to Heritage. At least they have destination signs.

• The original mention in the minutes was 877/888.*
  • From what other people mentioned, the only signs on the 6910s were the ones taped to the sides. Pace could do that on the 6920s if it wanted, or do the extreme thing that CTA did for Red 63-Ashland and buy 6 roll signs.
  • Since 924-5 aren't on WebWatch, we don't know what they are running there (unless someone wants to take a trip to da South Loop this afternoon).

____

*Update. Found it. The November minutes say "Towards the end of the order the first eight express buses will be assigned to South Division in order for Pace to give up some of the leased over the road coaches." I guess not the "first eight," though.

Here are two views of 6377 I photographed yesterday...

Also confirms that the destination sign is on the back.

I was going to challenge someone to see what the sign is on the expressway :wacko::P, but I see that the "Illegal to follow bus on shoulder" decal is on the bumper.

Also, for BusHunter's benefit, I see that there is a windshield paper sign, although it doesn't appear necessary here.

I am curious as to when the next option will be exercised, and if any expresses will be included in that option. Whenever it comes, I wonder if any 6000s Orions will wind up at Ravinia. Otherwise we should start to see the 6000s retire.

Basically, they didn't say. There was money in the 2012 budget for 156, but only 69 mentioned as arriving by May 2013.

As far as what is on the street in regular fixed route revenue service, the Oriion Is and NABI 2401s are gone, so the next thing to replace would be 6000s. On the other hand, there is the outstanding solicitation for the 91 CNGs for South to start delivery in June 2014, but South now does not have the oldest buses.