Newest Proposal to Close the Budget Gap

BusExpert32

I agree with that, but what is needed is to abolish all the service boards, and have one board, properly apportioned, with business and transit experts on it, sort of on the NY MTA model. No adjustments around the edges.

if free rides are taken away, the number of riders will go down, in addition to how many circuit-breaker riders would apparently still get free fares.

There lies the parodox that the politicians don't want to look at. I think first they'll shoot for the free rides for the income deficient only. I think it will pass with no major backlash. It does have a fairness to it. Abolishing it all together will no doubt anger seniors that vote as well as those a few years away from free rides, who will have felt cheated. That's the real test for the politicians. Regardless it leaves the same problem were in. Bottom line until some sales tax revenue comes in they will be in a sinking ship.

I would suggest that Pace and CTA merge and Metra take care of all the service outside of Cook and eastern Dupage counties. Pace and CTA could eliminate alot of white collar workers, not needing 2 headquarters. All the double service between CTA and Pace would be solved, the fare cards and passes would be compatible with each other and they would have a single budget between the two. It seems that both agencies are working against each other especially with these passes. Also with one issueing transfers and one not accepting them. They need to work together, especially with the RTA as the parent company.

Or maybe just abolish the RTA period as there not doing there jobs as a "parent company". Why they employ so many people to do absolutely nothing is the question you want to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

What I would like to see is a MTA and Bistate like transit system. Imagine a Chicago Transit Authority that operated in the Chicagoland AND NW Indiana area. The system currently operating as Metra could still operate with distance based fares. In addition, those who have seats on the NICTD board would be given seats on the CTA board and the South Shore would be integrated into the system (which I have always advocated). As a matter of fact, Hammond and Gary's bus sytems can also be incorporated. Certainly if Illinois and Missouri could come together to form BiState (now known as Metro)certainly Illinois and Indiana can do the same.

One benefit would be that it takes complete contro of the CTA away from da Mayor and makes it a truly regional system. Like the MTA, you could still have the transit system and the Commuter rail system, and you would definitely need Indiana funding to make that aspect successful. It could eliminate some duplicity and maybe with another state as a partner, it could force Illinois to rethink the way transit is funded here.

Guest ctafan630

Seems like the state will not end the Free Ride for Senior Program

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_st/2009/10/no-deal-to-cut-seniors-free-rides-on-buses-and-trains.html

What I would like to see is a MTA and Bistate like transit system. Imagine a Chicago Transit Authority that operated in the Chicagoland AND NW Indiana area....

I thought that the St. Louis Bi-State agency was dead, but apparently St. Louis Metro has representatives from Illinois. They still have to have a St. Clair County Transit District to raise the Illinois share of the subsidy. Their site says:

SCCTD does not operate any buses directly but has executed contracts with others to provide transportation service for the fifteen townships that make up the District.

The SCCTD uses the proceeds from the .25 percent sales tax to pay for a contract it has with the Bi-State Development Agency for the operation of all the fixed-route MetroBus service within the District, to pay for a contract with ATS (the Alternative Transportation System) for the provision of a call-a-ride type service for all the disabled persons within the District and to pay for its general operating expenses.

So, whatever the deal, one needs state authorization to raise the taxes there. That sounds similar to those saying that if Metra were extended to Milwaukee, Wisconsin would have to raise the subsidy, or Metra subsidizing the South Shore at Hegewisch.

Also, considering that Indiana is embroiled in an election campaign whether to impose taxes to fund an RTA, and thinks Pace is a model to emulate, I really don't see a practical way of working with them. Conversely, nobody envisions or wants a takeover by the CTA arm of the Daley Administration (which, de facto, CTA is). As far as CTA extending into Indiana, I'm sure it has little interest in covering an area that barely can support Optimas (and free Gilligs in East Chicago). Consider how it treated Evanston in the 2007 Doomsday Plans, for example,

Seems like the state will not end the Free Ride for Senior Program

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_st/2009/10/no-deal-to-cut-seniors-free-rides-on-buses-and-trains.html

Well.... it looks like the only way to perhaps set a fire under the Senate and House, however farfetched(Busjack, I know you're going to say it is) unless 100% followthrough occurs, is to boycott the CTA, Metra and Pace for a period of no less than one day and see what happens there... if nothing, then maybe try a week or month...

Something has to change their minds when the CTA, Metra, and Pace becomes the FTA(Free Transportation Authority) for a period of time and has no revenue because nobody under 65 is riding.

Just a thought.... and a little rant. :angry: If this is left like it is, more routes will be eliminated, fares will be astronomical, and perhaps rail service will be scaled back or eliminated too, as well as Pace and Metra cutting back or eliminating some service and raising fares perhaps beyond $5 easy.

Well.... it looks like the only way to perhaps set a fire under the Senate and House, however farfetched(Busjack, I know you're going to say it is) unless 100% followthrough occurs, is to boycott the CTA, Metra and Pace for a period of no less than one day and see what happens there... if nothing, then maybe try a week or month...

As you implied, I don't see how "setting a fire under the Senate and House" makes much difference (remember I said my rep. was the one supposedly responsible for pushing it, and lots of luck), nor how a boycott of the CTA works (in that transit agencies measure their deficit per passenger, illogical as that is), although I do see your point that some income is better than none.

The problem is that when it comes to pandering, Quinn is at least as much an ideologue as Blago (and also with regard to assuming that the CTA is an operation without increasing marginal costs). The bill seemed to be going through, until he said that he'd veto something unless CTA and Metra agreed to freeze fares (although that condition was not apparently imposed on paratransit). Since the supposedly $30 million to be saved by ending Free Fares would not have plugged the $95 million the CTA budget says is needed from the fare increase (actual page 17; pdf "floating" page 20), and certainly no where close to the total $300 million deficit, the bill died.

This is par for the course for Quinn, who is decisive only when trying to curry favor from a segment of the population in which you do not reside. This is no different than when he visited all the social services agencies to try to get their support for a tax increase. The only answer, IMO, would be to vote out Quinn, although I don't know if Hynes offers that much of a difference, as far as the February primary is concerned.

I thought that the St. Louis Bi-State agency was dead, but apparently St. Louis Metro has representatives from Illinois. They still have to have a St. Clair County Transit District to raise the Illinois share of the subsidy. Their site says:

So, whatever the deal, one needs state authorization to raise the taxes there. That sounds similar to those saying that if Metra were extended to Milwaukee, Wisconsin would have to raise the subsidy, or Metra subsidizing the South Shore at Hegewisch.

Also, considering that Indiana is embroiled in an election campaign whether to impose taxes to fund an RTA, and thinks Pace is a model to emulate, I really don't see a practical way of working with them. Conversely, nobody envisions or wants a takeover by the CTA arm of the Daley Administration (which, de facto, CTA is). As far as CTA extending into Indiana, I'm sure it has little interest in covering an area that barely can support Optimas (and free Gilligs in East Chicago). Consider how it treated Evanston in the 2007 Doomsday Plans, for example,

Well, Metra does go to Kenosha, WI so how does that impact the whole scenario?

I feel that cta should take $1-$2 off part timers wage and let them work their way back up...they started off at $17.99/hr......I say this because I really wish they wouldn't take jobs away from there people.

Still, aren't the part timers required to be members of the union? It isn't like CTA gets them from Manpower. If so, it appears they are subject to the union's "we won't give back" policy.

Still, aren't the part timers required to be members of the union? It isn't like CTA gets them from Manpower. If so, it appears they are subject to the union's "we won't give back" policy.

Yes we are, We also have to pay the same union dues as a full timer. So why should a pto take a pay cut. I think all the fto will 25+ years need to go! Why sholud u be working if u get the same pay sitting at home.

• Upvote 2

Lets all get in touch with Ricky Hendon and thank him for throwing 2000 people out of work so seniors can ride free what a man.

Good luck with that one. He's the senator for my part of town and I can tell you his email address listed on the State of Illinois website rarely works if at all. He's rarely heard from within the community until election time rolls around again, and sadly too many of those in the community can't bring themselves to see beyond skin color long enough to see that he's not worth our tax dollars that pay his salary to justify voting him back in.

Before we all go off the deep end (and I realize that there is more than enough blame to go around), if this is aimed at the bill repealing Free Rides for Seniors, that's only a small part of the problem.

• As I mentioned above, the governor threw the monkey wrench into it by saying he would sign it only if there was no Metra or CTA fare increase. The CTA says that the fare increase would bring in $95 million, so, even if the repeal would have generated the $30 million CTA claims (and I doubt that) it would be $65 million further in the hole if we accept their assumptions.
  • The official budget says 1000 union jobs cut (even though 2000 WARN letters were sent out). To reinstate the 1000 jobs, assuming $50,000 per year (rough assumption, and you have to add benefits, retirement fund contributions, etc., to reach the full cost), that's another $50 million. So, now we are $115 million short, even with the repeal, plus the cost to acquire or bring back the buses and garage cut from this budget, needed to restore service to level required to justify those jobs.
  • I believe that it was reported somewhere that, unlike under Blago, the state reimbursement for reduced fares is now being paid, but that if the repeal were passed, that state money would go to paratransit, so that doesn't help CTA. Unfortunately, I can't find the link.

In the meantime, I am more confused in that while we have CTA and Metra saying they haven't received anything from the capital bill (hence no 140 buses nor 80 Highliners), someone from the "Illinois Safe Roads Alliance" (i.e. apparently the unions are behind that, not just the highway construction lobby, as I thought) is advertising that the roads and school parts have to be funded too? I don't know what's going on, but it appears that the Capital Bills were jokes, sort of like the "contract" if any with New Flyer for up to 900 buses.

If I really cared, I would want answers to these, but it seems like none of it makes sense, so I'm not going to waste my time venting wrath on my state legislators (even though my state senator is barraging me with robocalls about a town hall meeting).

And, as I mentioned to sw, since it appears, such as from articles like this, that Quinn is up to his usual, the ire should be directed there, although I don't know that voting for Hynes is much of a difference.

I guess that based on this Chicago Breaking News article, Quinn is real interested in public transit, after having stuck his wrench into the works last week. Sure.

Just further evidence that until there's a true turnaround in getting the state to truly take transit seriously in addition to at-home improvements like streamlining how transit is operated from the current convoluted 3-board system and getting management that truly knows transit, Chicago and the burbs are cursed to keep repeating this transit mess.

• Upvote 1

Various sources, including the Sun-Times, report that Quinn somehow found money to avoid fare hikes, but not service cuts.

Besides this probably being borrowing to get him through the primary when he can then reintroduce his tax hike, the following also dawned on me: Since Pace, in its "infinite wisdom," said in its budget proposal, with regard to suburban service, no fare increases, but definitely service cuts, does that mean it cut itself from being able to "feast at this trough?"

Well, this should freeze fares for both cash payers and those who use unlimited ride passes(like myself), but I'll believe that after Feb 7, 2010, when I buy my next 7-Day Pass(will it be $23... or $30???)... Unfortunately, we are still losing those express routes, which nothing quickly enough can be done to save them. I guess this is how you say... an eye or an eye(or "I" or and "I") however you spell it out... I hope come Spring, 2010, the lawmakers finally modify the Senior Free Rides program that "The Hair" screwed us royally with before he was booted from office.

If I had to give a letter grade the Lawmakers on how they helped the Transit Crisis before recessing for 2009.... it would be this...

Elaine Nekritz(Free Rides Modification Bill Sponsor): A

Julie Hamos: A

Senate President Cullerton(I E-Mailed him several times to try to get this modification through): A

Illinois House: A

Illinois Senate: D

Sen. Ricky Hendon: F-(Plain "F" isn't bad enough for him)

Various sources, including the Sun-Times, report that Quinn somehow found money to avoid fare hikes, but not service cuts.

Besides this probably being borrowing to get him through the primary when he can then reintroduce his tax hike, the following also dawned on me: Since Pace, in its "infinite wisdom," said in its budget proposal, with regard to suburban service, no fare increases, but definitely service cuts, does that mean it cut itself from being able to "feast at this trough?"

Quinn claims we will be solving this by using Capital funding. They are already borrowing from Capital. Now they want to borrow more? Only in Illinois!! BTW, isn't election day coming soon?

Quinn claims we will be solving this by using Capital funding. They are already borrowing from Capital. Now they want to borrow more? Only in Illinois!! BTW, isn't election day coming soon?

The primary is in February. However, I wonder if the two major candidates on the Democrat side offer any choice. Hynes is campaigning on the "we'll tax the rich" platform, but WGN Radio news said that he said a "comprehensive solution" could be provided by his extension of the sales tax (presumably for services). I wonder if all the owners and users of beauty salons are going to realize that that applies to them.*

*I am assuming that an expansion of the "sales tax base" applies to all entities imposing sales taxes; not just the 6.25% imposed by the state, but also the 1.25% imposed by the RTA, 1.75% by the county, etc. That is the only way Hynes's statement makes sense.

Tribune editorial, which seems to state succinctly what the deal is. Since it is borrowing, I wonder why all the b.s. that the state is diverting and then replenishing capital. There must be some constraint on borrowing for operating. However, I wonder who would buy those bonds?

I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember Rocky and Bullwinkle, but this sounds like the following:

B: Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.

R: But that trick never works.

B: Nothing up my sleeve. Presto!

[Rhinoceros head or something like that comes out of the hat]

B: Looks like I gotta get a new hat.

If I had to give a letter grade the Lawmakers on how they helped the Transit Crisis before recessing for 2009.... it would be this...

Elaine Nekritz(Free Rides Modification Bill Sponsor): A

Maybe here, but generally no. I happened to mention that my rep had some strange ideas, like cosponsoring SB941,* which, in the version being pushed by Pace in Moving Forward, said that paratransit gets next year 10% more than the prior deficit. Sure, that would assure that paratransit fares wouldn't go up, but what happens when the tax money dries up? Pace is already crying that it doesn't get any discretionary funds, even though it already gets paratransit, South Cook, and Suburban Mobility money off the top.

It appears that with Julie Hamos moving her attention to the 10th CD (I wonder is she is going to make good on her promise to move to the district), Nekritz is basically now the one carrying Mike Madigan's water.** I used to like her, but I no longer think that she represents her constituents. Of course, not much different than 117 other reps.

*Apparently later stripped to become the "vehicle" for the Free Rides for Seniors bill. Again, I don't understand all the stripping of bills, which also happened with regard to the 2008 RTA Act.

**Not transit related, but she put in a district newsletter that she cosponsored a campaign finance bill that was vetoed. I wonder which one.She apparently voted for and against bills to roll back the veto override requirement for Cook County.