Newest Proposal to Close the Budget Gap

BusExpert32

Tribune editorial, which seems to state succinctly what the deal is. Since it is borrowing, I wonder why all the b.s. that the state is diverting and then replenishing capital. There must be some constraint on borrowing for operating. However, I wonder who would buy those bonds?

I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember Rocky and Bullwinkle, but this sounds like the following:

I don't know how the RTA is going to keep from raising fares for two years. (according to the deal) I hope this doesn't end up being a "let's cut service initiative" over the next few years. So, if the economic situation improves by next year does that mean they get surplus money. (Because there budget shortfall is due to the economy) I don't understand why they didn't just eliminate some routes and raise the fares a little as part of the deal. This way it's balanced. I can't help but believe this is political. We can't have the fares raise around election time!! (Although I don't know how many transit employees will vote for Quinn)

• 2 months later...

Well well well....what have we here:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2043278,free-rides-transit-limits-proposed-021110.article

Free transit rides in Illinois come under fire

State legislator from Palatine gets bill OKed to limit them

Comments

February 11, 2010

By MARY WISNIEWSKI Transportation Reporter / mwisniewski@suntimes.com

The Illinois House mass transit committee voted today to approve a bill that would limit CTA, Metra and Pace free rides to low-income seniors.

They're now mandated for all seniors, under a measure that was pushed through by then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

The bill approved today, introduced by Rep. Suzanne Bassi (R-Palatine), passed by a 19-4 bipartisan vote. It wasn't immediately clear when the full House would vote on it.

“This legislation is a very well-balanced solution to reform the Seniors Ride Free program that will maintain free rides for low-income seniors and half-fare rides for all other seniors,” said Jim Reilly, chair of the Regional Transportation Authority.

The bill was discussed last year, but Senate Democrats last October blocked efforts to undo the freebie that Blagojevich gave seniors in 2008. Gov. Quinn at first appeared to support limiting free rides to low-income seniors, then decided to preserve the current program.

The Bassi bill has since been re-introduced.

There are more than 402,000 seniors registered for the free ride program, a number expected to grow as the senior population increases.

The RTA's position is that limiting the program to low-income seniors, defined as having an income of $27,610 or less for a household of one or $34,635 for a family of two, would bring in an extra $37 million a year for the CTA , Metra and Pace.

The funding of public transit, and the consequences of the free-rides program, has returned to the public eye this week because of service cuts and layoffs at the CTA

The funding of public transit, and the consequences of the free-rides program, has returned to the public eye this week because of service cuts and layoffs at the CTA

The question, though, is whether the current statements that some of the service cuts are attributable to the loss of revenue so caused will have any effect on Quinn or Madigan. Also, I wonder how many p.oed riders and union members would threaten to vote Republican if Quinn and Madigan don't get the message. I guess we'll have to wait to see.

Update: Clout Street indicates that this was pushed by several reps. who are lame ducks, and hence have nothing to lose.

The question, though, is whether the current statements that some of the service cuts are attributable to the loss of revenue so caused will have any effect on Quinn or Madigan. Also, I wonder how many p.oed riders and union members would threaten to vote Republican if Quinn and Madigan don't get the message. I guess we'll have to wait to see.

Update: Clout Street indicates that this was pushed by several reps. who are lame ducks, and hence have nothing to lose.

I guess we have to wait and see.

I guess we have to wait and see.

Yes we I guess we do. But I don't know about being p.o'ed enough to vote for a Republican candidate given none, outside Ms. Topinka for whom I have lots of respect, has shown much reason to be trusted, as in talking up the issues and not just various scandals and how out there some Republican politicians have been in some respects.

• Upvote 1

Well well well....what have we here:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2043278,free-rides-transit-limits-proposed-021110.article

Free transit rides in Illinois come under fire

State legislator from Palatine gets bill OKed to limit them

Comments

February 11, 2010

By MARY WISNIEWSKI Transportation Reporter / mwisniewski@suntimes.com

The Illinois House mass transit committee voted today to approve a bill that would limit CTA, Metra and Pace free rides to low-income seniors.

They're now mandated for all seniors, under a measure that was pushed through by then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

The bill approved today, introduced by Rep. Suzanne Bassi (R-Palatine), passed by a 19-4 bipartisan vote. It wasn't immediately clear when the full House would vote on it.

This legislation is a very well-balanced solution to reform the Seniors Ride Free program that will maintain free rides for low-income seniors and half-fare rides for all other seniors, said Jim Reilly, chair of the Regional Transportation Authority.

The bill was discussed last year, but Senate Democrats last October blocked efforts to undo the freebie that Blagojevich gave seniors in 2008. Gov. Quinn at first appeared to support limiting free rides to low-income seniors, then decided to preserve the current program.

The Bassi bill has since been re-introduced.

There are more than 402,000 seniors registered for the free ride program, a number expected to grow as the senior population increases.

The RTA's position is that limiting the program to low-income seniors, defined as having an income of $27,610 or less for a household of one or $34,635 for a family of two, would bring in an extra $37 million a year for the CTA , Metra and Pace.

I would welcome this. We'll have to see if Quinn(who probably has a Free Pass) an Madigan approve it. I'll bet Ricky Hendenburg will throw another wrench in it... I hope his job is up in Nov. then, and those constiutents in his voting area vote in his opponent. Quinn and Madigan better remember this too... the young don't forget!!!

I would welcome this. We'll have to see if Quinn(who probably has a Free Pass) an Madigan approve it. I'll bet Ricky Hendenburg will throw another wrench in it... I hope his job is up in Nov. then, and those constiutents in his voting area vote in his opponent. Quinn and Madigan better remember this too... the young don't forget!!!

Actually Hendon made an unsuccessful primary bid for lieutenant governor, so I'd have to say it's a good bet he's pretty much a lame duck since he'd have to give up running for state Senate to run in the lieutenant governor primary. And trust me, I'd be first in line to celebrate his departure since I don't think very highly of him now while he's still my state Senator.

Yes we I guess we do. But I don't know about being p.o'ed enough to vote for a Republican candidate given none, outside Ms. Topinka for whom I have lots of respect, has shown much reason to be trusted, as in talking up the issues and not just various scandals and how out there some Republican politicians have been in some respects.

Consider also that most Republicans, owing to their hatred of "big government", (except when it benefits their corporate chums) have always been hostile to public transit. It was legislation enacted by the Reagan Administration that killed operating subsidies for transit agencies.

Regardless of management's missteps (such as locking in a fuel contract at $4.75/gallon) and Blagojevich's grandstanding, I don't believe that the CTA would otherwise be in this mess.

• Upvote 3

I only offered the p.oed alternative, because the other one seems to be Quinn. Maybe the Green Party can get something together, but my money isn't on that.

As far as the State Senate, various sources took me to the State Constitution Art IV sec. 2(a), which, in typical Illinois fashion, has senators on staggered 4 year terms, but all of them coming up after the census year. Thus, if Hendon ran in 2008 (which I believe it was), he doesn't come up again until 2012. While reps only have a 2 year term, and thus, those like Hamos who ran for something else are done, I don't believe that Hendon is, since he didn't have to run in this year's election.

As far as CTA being in this mess, it was reported that the State is behind in reimbursing the schools, Huberman is asking for givebacks, and the CTU head said no way. So, if you think that the CTA crisis is big, wait for that to hit the fan. Channel 2 report.

I only offered the p.oed alternative, because the other one seems to be Quinn. Maybe the Green Party can get something together, but my money isn't on that.

As far as the State Senate, various sources took me to the State Constitution Art IV sec. 2(a), which, in typical Illinois fashion, has senators on staggered 4 year terms, but all of them coming up after the census year. Thus, if Hendon ran in 2008 (which I believe it was), he doesn't come up again until 2012. While reps only have a 2 year term, and thus, those like Hamos who ran for something else are done, I don't believe that Hendon is, since he didn't have to run in this year's election.

As far as CTA being in this mess, it was reported that the State is behind in reimbursing the schools, Huberman is asking for givebacks, and the CTU head said no way. So, if you think that the CTA crisis is big, wait for that to hit the fan. Channel 2 report.

You know what, I think you might be right. I was thinking that I saw Hendon's name on the ballot in 2006 with our ex-Elvis loving Governor, but now that I think of it I believe it was 2008 during the presidential elections. Darnit.

Pace just sent out its position on this, in Moving Forward. Basically, it is both ways, in that they say:

Pace has always been supportive of the Seniors Ride Free program because it helps to boost ridership and reduce traffic and air congestion within our service area when people choose transit over driving. Some seniors with a disability opt to ride for free on fixed route service instead of paying to use ADA paratransit, and this reduces expenses and demand on the system. In late 2008, Pace successfully advocated in the General Assembly for a similar free fixed route rides program for people with disabilities, although that program ultimately was tied to income restrictions

Also, after having said that the $0.5 to $1 million that would be Pace's share of the recovery won't bring back any service, "Pace also supports the concept of limiting free rides to lower income riders" to help stabilize revenues.

So as many of you can see, the latest:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/02/cta-union-president-threatens-slowdown-if-cuts-not-restored.html

And I simply defended myself saying:

=========================================

ctadriver99 on February 13, 2010 4:26 PM

Since everyone on here seems to think they know how to do our job...get out there and do it. Quick talking crap, because you don't know what you're talking about.

And then I was greeted with the following lovely replies:

annjilly on February 13, 2010 5:16 PM

ctadriver 99: IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR JOB QUIT. I BELIEVE IN THIS ECONOMY THERE WOULD BE PLENTY OF PEOPLE LINING UP FOR THE JOB AND BE HAPPY TO WORK NON-UNION.

Why do you need a union to hide behind? What are you afraid of?

@ChicagoTruth on February 13, 2010 5:01 PM

"Hahaha! Ctadriver99 -- you forget that ANYBODY can drive a bus, as evidenced by you morons who are driving them now. You are unskilled labor, you are irrelevant. Your highest use is transporting people who have something to offer the world to where they need to go. If you can't accept that, you shall be disposed of."

=================================================

Of course in this whole ordeal I got one defense:

YT | February 13, 2010 5:30 PM

@ChicagoTruth:

Wow.....Really! everyone is RELEVANT! I'm not a CTA worker, but your statement is just NASTY, why resort to name calling? All s/he did was speak from personal experience. Peace

==================================================

Nice to know the people of Chicago have a clue, isn't it?

So as many of you can see, the latest:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/02/cta-union-president-threatens-slowdown-if-cuts-not-restored.html

And I simply defended myself saying:

ctadriver99 on February 13, 2010 4:26 PM

Since everyone on here seems to think they know how to do our job...get out there and do it. Quick talking crap, because you don't know what you're talking about.

And then I was greeted with the following lovely replies:

annjilly on February 13, 2010 5:16 PM

ctadriver 99: IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR JOB QUIT. I BELIEVE IN THIS ECONOMY THERE WOULD BE PLENTY OF PEOPLE LINING UP FOR THE JOB AND BE HAPPY TO WORK NON-UNION.

Why do you need a union to hide behind? What are you afraid of?

@ChicagoTruth on February 13, 2010 5:01 PM

"Hahaha! Ctadriver99 -- you forget that ANYBODY can drive a bus, as evidenced by you morons who are driving them now. You are unskilled labor, you are irrelevant. Your highest use is transporting people who have something to offer the world to where they need to go. If you can't accept that, you shall be disposed of."

=================================================

Of course in this whole ordeal I got one defense:

YT | February 13, 2010 5:30 PM

@ChicagoTruth:

Wow.....Really! everyone is RELEVANT! I'm not a CTA worker, but your statement is just NASTY, why resort to name calling? All s/he did was speak from personal experience. Peace

==================================================

Just goes to show how misguided so many people's thought process is. For all the railing against unions, people seem to forget or don't realize that a lot of the benefits they enjoy on a lot of jobs such as the standard 40 hour workweek is because of unions and the labor movement. Just the smallest knowledge of history goes a long way. Sure unions aren't perfect but many things from child labor laws to keep companies from exploiting kids by requiring a minimum work age to even smallest perk such as minimum wage laws come from efforts of the labor movement. Something to consider when confronted with the feeling of being taken advantage of by an employer and having proper recourse or in a position to collect overtime for working beyond 40 hours, before getting a temptation jumping to knock a labor union just for the sake of attacking. Some wish they had a union because to counter an employer who pays a little of nothing and provides no benefits for the sake of maximizing profits and lining the pockets of those at the top who may not be as deserving of being paid more as those of similar postions in other companies.

Service is bad right now, and I really feel for the 1,100 CTA Bus and Rail Operators out of work, but the Union, with the discussion of RainbowPUSH, is proposing a "Slow Down" where buses won't drive over 35mph and will not pull off of a corner until all passengers are seated or holding a strap. And now Jesse Jackson is stepping in and saying that there will be either fair negotations, or there will be slow roll or no roll. I think Jesse Jackson, IMO, should mind his own business and let the CTA, Unions, and Politicians work this out and not add more fuel to an already burning fire.

Story

...I think Jesse Jackson, IMO, should mind his own business and let the CTA, Unions, and Politicians work this out and not add more fuel to an already burning fire.

Story

That's obviously nothing new for Jackson, who hasn't met a camera he didn't like.* Same for the Congressman, except when it became known that he was Senate Candidate #5. Consider who was behind the several "Metra and the South Shore are racist" stories (sorry if I tread on sensitive ground with the last comment).

In fact I thought that the posting in the CTA Tattler that "Interesting bedfellows there with Jackson and the bus union. You might think Jackson would side with the hundreds of thousands of inconvenienced commuters, rather than a few thousand union members." was extreme naive.

It seems like the main thing Jackson and Jefferson want to do is put more fuel to the fire. I've mentioned before that unless someone wants to come to grips with the issue that the sales and RETT are not generating what was projected, this is not going to be resolved. Throw in the politicians who want to save routes despite service standards, and this becomes a mix about one can't really get into a frenzy, except for the 1100 who got laid off.

As far as those of you commenting about newspaper comment boards, you are right, except that some of them, like Chicago Breaking News, say they are moderated, but the moderators seem to want to post only the most far left and right wing stuff. Try posting something there about how the Tribune writers don't understand transit, the law, or much anything else, and see if it appears. But, that's off topic. Sorry again.

*To be fair, I have noted that he says something else when Push transmits on WJYS than what he says to the general media. However, since the digital transition, WJYS doesn't come my way, so I don't know what he actually said at the Push weekly meeting.

Edited by Busjack

I hope I dont offend anyone, if I do Im sorry but I just have to get this off my chest. Why is Jesse Jackson making unsubstantiated claims that CTA service is being cut in black neighborhoods? What difference does it make whether its in black neighborhoods or white neighborhoods? This is a citywide problem! This has nothing to do with black or white! The CTA workers at Rainbow PUSH yesterday are becoming just another trophy for Jesse Jackson. I saw some of my old coworkers on tv yesterday and it really made me upset.

I hope I dont offend anyone, if I do Im sorry but I just have to get this off my chest. Why is Jesse Jackson making unsubstantiated claims that CTA service is being cut in black neighborhoods? What difference does it make whether its in black neighborhoods or white neighborhoods? This is a citywide problem! This has nothing to do with black or white! The CTA workers at Rainbow PUSH yesterday are becoming just another trophy for Jesse Jackson. I saw some of my old coworkers on tv yesterday and it really made me upset.

Because the race card is the easiest one to play when you don't have anything else in your hand. Unfortunately, it diminishes the validity of true racial problems that still exist in society.

Some of these folks wouldn't be happy until every route in Lincoln Park is eliminated, and every rider on the "South Side" gets their own personal bus.

• Upvote 1

Because the race card is the easiest one to play when you don't have anything else in your hand. Unfortunately, it diminishes the validity of true racial problems that still exist in society.

Some of these folks wouldn't be happy until every route in Lincoln Park is eliminated, and every rider on the "South Side" gets their own personal bus.

Mr. Banned implied the explanation for it. The same explanation applies to old ladies in Lincoln Park about 5 years ago.*

Basically, it is just that the X routes were eliminated, but the 130s and 140s were not. The fallacy is that some people think that a route number means that the service is inviolate.

However, it has been frequently documented that (1) CTA restored some of the resources to the underlying locals when the Xs were eliminated, and (2) frequency was decreased system-wide.

However, this is a similar canard to the two I mentioned earlier about Metra and the South Shore.

* There were the newspaper stories then that riders between Irving Park and Belmont had only the 146, so they brought back some 145s and renamed 145 148 during rush hour. One has to question whether that actually put more buses on the road.

• Upvote 1

I'll agree with all the above especially with the general view that Jesse Jackson needs to stay out of it, and I am a black man saying it. And rmadison is right that it only serves to diminish that chance to solve true racial imbalances that still exist. We already have people wanting to convince themselves that racial inequalities and prejudice just magically disappeared overnight because Barack Obama is now President of the United States. The Tea Party protests with people holding up posters with the President dressed as a witch doctor with a bone through his nose and the infamous post card with a picture of the White House with watermelons growing out front point to the contrary. But getting to the topic of transit, the service reductions are in no way racists when as pointed out the respective local routes got their resources returned after the crostown expresses were eliminated, along with some of those locals getting extra resources even though they never had resources transferred to the express service. There's the fact that the 56 now ends at 10:30pm and it serves oh let's see the Jefferson Park area and Wicker Park neither of which is exclusively minority populated. There's not one North Lake Shore express that runs a full trip after 10:30pm yet the 6 still runs until 12:30am. In my part of town, the only noticeable difference that I've seen as far as waiting for a bus is on the 18, 52, and 94 during off peak hours. The rest you don't really notice until evening hours and then it's when approaching late evening. As a matter of fact, I haven't had any major service issues yet with buses or trains in different parts of town and I've used service in both rush periods and off peak hours. Yes I had to remind myself a couple of the routes I'd choose from ended earlier and there have been some crowds, but it was normal for those routes before the reductions and it hasn't been to the sky is falling degree that the media was putting in people's minds when the changes took effect last Sunday. Some of the crowds come from people thinking they'll wait some insane amount of time for the next bus when actually it's been no more than 10 mins behind. (I always track the next two or three buses along with giving myself proper time to get to a destination just in case). I even took the 21, a route I'd sometimes dread, to North Riverside on Friday and waited no longer than 10 mins. I also commuted to and from work during the most recent snowstorm with no ill effects. It's been taking some getting used to, but overall I've encountered no big differences outside the earlier end times on some routes.

• Upvote 1

The cuts are racists. Anytime you eliminate 9x routes and 6 of them are on the south side what do you call that . When 4 of the 6 start at 95th street where the majority of riders are minorities what do you call that.

When you eliminate 3 routes in one ward going x3,x4,x55 what do you call that.

When the 144,146 are both allowed to remain when they both operate the same route what do you call that.

Having lived on the North Side and West Side all of my life, I honestly don't think that these cuts are racist. Its a systemwide cut, some deeper than others. I don't think by cutting express routes heading into one part of the town, as opposed to keeping others is justifiably racist. Had the CTA cut ALL of the S. Lake Shore Express buses, and giving the North Side every express bus until 2:30 in the morning, then we can call the question of racism.

RWMadison is right: you only play the card if no other options exist. The cuts were fair, and distributed evenly. But if you're going to eliminate service where there may be no passengers riding anyway, the point is moot. Save for the late 2nd/3rd shift workers (who have talked to me in regards to using the vanpool), there's really not much warrant to saying that the claims are racist. Personally, we have other instances of Racism that have more merit and warrant than this.

Since the cuts last week, I've actually gotten to work early (as opposed to on time) and getting home has been a pain in the butt (as its always been). Maybe I would have to drive often, I don't mind doing that either. That snowmageddon had me on the west side, where I actually made all of my transfers with a wait of less than 3 minutes.

This is definitely a city-wide problem. As an African-American male on the north side, this problem is our problem...not limited to just one race (and I wish these politicos can back off--wishful dreaming, perhaps).

And the tea-party...why don't we just send a 7500 with a pretty ribbon so they can shut up?

• Upvote 3

I will agree with the public on on thing..."any idiot can drive a bus"...but there are actually 3 steps to being a good and valuable operator....1.Learning how to drive (again, any idiot can do that) 2. Operating...this includes knowing how to make a schedule etc. 3. Running...this includes time of day, dealing with particular ridership knowing when to lag and charge...etc.

Let the public think they know everyting. I don't see any of them running to the CTA employment office offering thier services. I would give most of them a week...when they find out that part time means you are available 24/7/365, and that includes weekends and holidays...finding out that you have to operate in the worst of neighborhoods and the worst time....dealing with traffic and downright stupid people...and finally, management teams that don't have a clue as to what they are doing in the least...they will prefer to sit on the side and just shut up. The union has the upper hand here....the question is do they know it. I think all involved felt that they would back down and got caught with their pants down when they actually had to make the cuts. I have some compassion for those laid off...even if they got let go unfairly (before the part timers)...however, I think many out there are now finding out just how important the labor is...now they can suffer too.

The cuts are racists. Anytime you eliminate 9x routes and 6 of them are on the south side what do you call that . When 4 of the 6 start at 95th street where the majority of riders are minorities what do you call that.

When you eliminate 3 routes in one ward going x3,x4,x55 what do you call that.

When the 144,146 are both allowed to remain when they both operate the same route what do you call that.

Sorry that's not racist. For one thing the 3, 4 and 55 are still there. As are the 9, 53A and the 54. All of them got frequency INCREASES. Ok the express routes are gone, but the locals got buses that would otherwise have run on the expresses. Your 144/146 example doesn't hold much wait either because X28 is still there with the 28 for the whole stretch from 103rd to 57th Drive where it splits from the local and mirrors part of the 6, and it's there with the 26 giving that extra boost to the 6 and 14 for the downtown commuters from the south side. The south side also got to keep the 15 which mirrors the 14 for the most part south of 67th/Jeffery. You can't say it's racist when like I pointed out 146 and 147 got cut back to 10:30 while the 6 still runs till 12:30. Not to mention the 56 and the 92 both stop at 10:30 now as well. You try telling folks in Wicker Park, Jefferson Park, Uptown, Edgewater and Rogers Park that they now have more routes in their neighborhoods ending at 10:30 because the CTA is being racist. It just won't fly plain and simple. There are too many examples that can be brought up to counter that notion.

• Upvote 2