Beginning of the End of the 2200's

trainman8119

Over the past 3 or 4 weeks (weekends), I have noticed that the 4 car sets on the Blue Line are no

longer 2 2200's and 2 2600's. They have been all 4 car 2600's. I saw a couple of 8 car

sets earlier today with the 2200's in them, but by this evening, the 2200's were gone and

the 4 car sets were of the 2600 variety. Kind of sad. Its been over 40 years for these cars...

where has the time gone. I feel they messed up the interiors when they rehabbed them, and further

messed them up when set for 1 man operation. I guess you can consider it progress. I am sure they

won't get the send off the 4000's got (I believe they made 50 years) or the 6000s (40+)...but they have

served the CTA well. I'll miss them...especially with the horrible seating arrangement the 5000s

have and the possible putrid blue fronts that came in the last few of the prototypes.

So I wasn't imagining things after all. The four car sets on the Blue Line were all 2600s. Not that I was complaining, I haven't been a big fan of the 2200s since the rehab. They were great cars before them with the huge windows and nice seats. I could accept the modification for the one man operation, and I still like sitting in the front seat in the lead car (only the 2200s and the 2400s do they still face forward), but outside of that I won't miss them, not that I am a fan of longtitudinal seating (I am not).

You should see the 8 car sets the next two weekends as the Taste Of Chicago starts this Friday.

I love those cars! The last "Blinker door style" cars in service. The last remnant of old CTA rolling stock! Im hoping IRM will aquire a set when they are retired. As for the 2400s, I have to say I never really payed much attention to them. I wont miss those cars much. The 2200s like the 3200s, have a style all their own. Thanks to the fluted sides, I look at the 3200s/5000s like the 2200s.

I love those cars! The last "Blinker door style" cars in service. The last remnant of old CTA rolling stock! Im hoping IRM will aquire a set when they are retired. As for the 2400s, I have to say I never really payed much attention to them. I wont miss those cars much. The 2200s like the 3200s, have a style all their own. Thanks to the fluted sides, I look at the 3200s/5000s like the 2200s.

Are the #2200's the last blinker door type transit cars in the world? If so that would make them extra special. Not only will we lose an old transit car, we'll lose part of the past with those doors. To me those cars link with the past with the #6000 series and the #1-50's. No doubt a few museums may be interested when they get scrapped. The Boeing #2400's always seemed to me to be a more quieter and smoother ride than the #2600's. I thought I read somewhere those were the only transit cars ever constructed by Boeing. Btw, trainman in his opening post in this thread said some of the prototypes had blue fronts on those. I thought I may have seen dark red fronts on a few if you look in chicago-l.org's #2200 photographs section. We're there two different colors or just one?

So I wasn't imagining things after all. The four car sets on the Blue Line were all 2600s. Not that I was complaining, I haven't been a big fan of the 2200s since the rehab. They were great cars before them with the huge windows and nice seats. I could accept the modification for the one man operation, and I still like sitting in the front seat in the lead car (only the 2200s and the 2400s do they still face forward), but outside of that I won't miss them, not that I am a fan of longtitudinal seating (I am not).

You should see the 8 car sets the next two weekends as the Taste Of Chicago starts this Friday.

Art's post brings a thought to mind:

It seems to me that the seats on the 2200's were in decent shape just prior to the rehab. Admittedly, I don't ride the Blue line that often but the ones I saw looked

decent. Consequently, I thought going to the carpet covered "buckets" was a step backward. :(

Are the #2200's the last blinker door type transit cars in the world? If so that would make them extra special. Not only will we lose an old transit car, we'll lose part of the past with those doors. To me those cars link with the past with the #6000 series and the #1-50's. No doubt a few museums may be interested when they get scrapped. The Boeing #2400's always seemed to me to be a more quieter and smoother ride than the #2600's. I thought I read somewhere those were the only transit cars ever constructed by Boeing. Btw, trainman in his opening post in this thread said some of the prototypes had blue fronts on those. I thought I may have seen dark red fronts on a few if you look in chicago-l.org's #2200 photographs section. We're there two different colors or just one?

I dont know of any other rapid transit cars with those type of doors. Those doors are reminiscent of 1950s style transit such as the 6000s as well as transit buses of that era. The one thing Ill certainly miss is the sound of the doors opening and closing, reminds me so much of the 6000s. But it is interesting to see cars with those doors, weve gotten so accustomed to "sliding door" cars in the industry. So for railfans such as us, we should feel fortunate as well as unique in having cars of this type still operating. The only interesting thing I can say about the 2400s is that they were built by a manufacturer infamous for building aircraft. Lets just enjoy them while theyre still around! :)

What was odd was on Wednesday I boarded the Blue Line (O'Hare-bound) at La Salle...there were three 2200 cars, and all three were empty and with out-of-order stickers on the doors...weird.

I'd say that's quite odd, as I don't know how a current CTA train could wind up with three cars of a given type (the mismatched 3457/3458 notwithstanding).

I thought I read somewhere those were the only transit cars ever constructed by Boeing. Btw, trainman in his opening post in this thread said some of the prototypes had blue fronts on those. I thought I may have seen dark red fronts on a few if you look in chicago-l.org's #2200 photographs section. We're there two different colors or just one?

As far as being the only ones from Boeing, they were the only rapid transits, although Boeing also made the standard Light Rail Vehicles for Boston and San Francisco. That was a time when the defense industry was trying to diversify, foreseeing the end of the Vietnam War, just as Rohr and Grumman got into the Flxible bus business, and none of these were successful.

If the latter reference is to the 2200s, as far as I know, the ends were always silver, although supposedly part of the ends were composite instead of stainless steel (which makes the part around the headlights look a little different). The only thing I see in Chicago-L.org that gives any inference of red is the photo of 2325, but I take that as reflected light.

Finally, don't make me swear on a Bible, but I think that blinker doors are unique to the CTA. Even though some other transit agencies used PCC cars in apparent rapid transit service, those appear to be more like accordion doors. I'm sure, though, that someone will find an exception somewhere.

Your link is forbidden

As Kevin pointed out previously, Chicago-l.org is picky about referred links. Go to Rolling Stock, Train Gallery, then go down to the 2200 cars. The picture to which I referred in in Gallery 7.

I dont know of any other rapid transit cars with those type of doors. Those doors are reminiscent of 1950s style transit such as the 6000s as well as transit buses of that era. The one thing Ill certainly miss is the sound of the doors opening and closing, reminds me so much of the 6000s. But it is interesting to see cars with those doors, weve gotten so accustomed to "sliding door" cars in the industry. So for railfans such as us, we should feel fortunate as well as unique in having cars of this type still operating. The only interesting thing I can say about the 2400s is that they were built by a manufacturer infamous for building aircraft. Lets just enjoy them while theyre still around! :)

:lol: Make a quick run up to Kenosha and ride the PCCs there.

The door operators sound just like the CTA's 6000s. :)

As far as being the only ones from Boeing, they were the only rapid transits, although Boeing also made the standard Light Rail Vehicles for Boston and San Francisco. That was a time when the defense industry was trying to diversify, foreseeing the end of the Vietnam War, just as Rohr and Grumman got into the Flxible bus business, and none of these were successful.

If the latter reference is to the 2200s, as far as I know, the ends were always silver, although supposedly part of the ends were composite instead of stainless steel (which makes the part around the headlights look a little different). The only thing I see in Chicago-L.org that gives any inference of red is the photo of 2325, but I take that as reflected light.

I can only find one picture of the red #2200's on Chicago-l.org's gallery. It's on gallery 5 #2300, but you must click on the picture to see it. On gallery 4 #2241 there's one with the blue front. Funny, this is just around the window frame like the #2400's as ordered, but it only appears to be one color per end. BTW, there was a picture of an all #2400's train paired with the #2200's when they ran together on the blue line in the late 1970's. (It's under the Jefferson Park station gallery) I haven't seen that pairing in a long time. Too bad we couldn't see that again before they retire.

On gallery 4 #2241 there's one with the blue front. Funny, this is just around the window frame like the #2400's as ordered, but it only appears to be one color per end.

I take that as only reflection, given that the stainless steel portion on the side closer to the camera is lighter, even though it is the left on one picture and the right on the other, and both were taken the same day.

It certainly isn't the blue like trainman pointed out on the wrap on 5009.

• 3 months later...

What was odd was on Wednesday I boarded the Blue Line (O'Hare-bound) at La Salle...there were three 2200 cars, and all three were empty and with out-of-order stickers on the doors...weird.

Today, there was similar train like this with out-of-order stickers on all the doors of two 2200 series cars (2233-2234) and green lights lit on the other two cars of that train (2273-2274) pulling into O'Hare. The rest of the train was working fine with passengers aboard. What was strange today is it seems like about half of the 2200 series was out of service. I went past the Skokie Shops during the afternoon and there were about 24 to 30 cars there. Then, during the evening rush, there were about 30 2200 series cars parked in the Rosemont yard. Earlier in the day, there was a train probably coming from the Skokie shops heading through the Paulina Connector that had 2200 series cars in it. Usually during the week, there are always 2 or 4 2200 series cars parked at 54th yard. Plus, about one-third of all the runs on the Blue Line had either one set of 2200 series cars or all 2600 series. I didn't see Desplaines Yard today, but I assume there had a be a few there not in service as well.

Today, there was similar train like this with out-of-order stickers on all the doors of two 2200 series cars (2233-2234) and green lights lit on the other two cars of that train (2273-2274) pulling into O'Hare. The rest of the train was working fine with passengers aboard. What was strange today is it seems like about half of the 2200 series was out of service. I went past the Skokie Shops during the afternoon and there were about 24 to 30 cars there. Then, during the evening rush, there were about 30 2200 series cars parked in the Rosemont yard. Earlier in the day, there was a train probably coming from the Skokie shops heading through the Paulina Connector that had 2200 series cars in it. Usually during the week, there are always 2 or 4 2200 series cars parked at 54th yard. Plus, about one-third of all the runs on the Blue Line had either one set of 2200 series cars or all 2600 series. I didn't see Desplaines Yard today, but I assume there had a be a few there not in service as well.

That explained clearly why I haven't seen any 2200s this past couple weekends on Blue Line.

• 4 weeks later...

I know many on the board here may like the 2200's, but I'm guessing this was caused by a tired 2200-Series Railcar. They are 40-41 yrs. old, and are 15+ yrs. past service life. I would like a pair or two to be saved by IRM, but they are getting almost dangerous to continue to operate in-revenue service.

I know many on the board here may like the 2200's, but I'm guessing this was caused by a tired 2200-Series Railcar. They are 40-41 yrs. old, and are 15+ yrs. past service life. I would like a pair or two to be saved by IRM, but they are getting almost dangerous to continue to operate in-revenue service.

This new accident could possibly speed up the retirement of the 2200s. Id like to see a pair retired and donated to the IRM.

but I'm guessing this was caused by a tired 2200-Series Railcar. ...

Nothing to indicate that it was caused by a 2200. Furthermore, their trucks were causing shorts when they were new.

Unless you guys have figured out a way to speed up the testing process and the assembly process if the 5000s ever pass the testing, nothing is going to speed up the retirement of the 2200s unless the L becomes like the bus and loses 11% of its capacity.

As far as IRM, they would have to figure out how to propel cars without trolley poles, unless they are to become a static graffiti target like the 2000s, or locked away permanently in the barn.

I can't say a 2200 car "caused" the fire, but based on the video I saw on the news, the car that caught fire was a 2200 series car. Your link suggested the fire started outside the train ( and said video supports that). Perhaps there was debris nearby that contributed to this incident. Remember only 2600s operate on the Red Line when that fire happened near the Clark/Division station.

I'm not one of the fans of the 2200s (at least in the rehabbed state they are in, so I can't wait to see them go. Though I was initially ecstatic to see the old 6000s go, I wax poetically about them now.

Nothing to indicate that it was caused by a 2200. Furthermore, their trucks were causing shorts when they were new.

Unless you guys have figured out a way to speed up the testing process and the assembly process if the 5000s ever pass the testing, nothing is going to speed up the retirement of the 2200s unless the L becomes like the bus and loses 11% of its capacity.

As far as IRM, they would have to figure out how to propel cars without trolley poles, unless they are to become a static graffiti target like the 2000s, or locked away permanently in the barn.

Could IRM install pantographs on those high performance cars and use them that way? I remember the boeing #2400's were tested in Penn. with pantographs. Also didn't #6655-56 arrive at IRM with no trolley poles to run it.

I have heard 2 sides of whether the 2000's can handle trolley poles. (Ditto would apply to the 2200's).

1) A conductor on the IRM said they are unsure as to whether the car could structurally handle all the apparatus.

2) I also met a IRM volunteer on the Empire Builder who said they likely could, but do not want to since the IRM's traction "Puritans" don't want to alter the cars from their prototypical state.

Guest ctafan630

I have heard 2 sides of whether the 2000's can handle trolley poles. (Ditto would apply to the 2200's).

1) A conductor on the IRM said they are unsure as to whether the car could structurally handle all the apparatus.

2) I also met a IRM volunteer on the Empire Builder who said they likely could, but do not want to since the IRM's traction "Puritans" don't want to alter the cars from their prototypical state.

Do you think IRM would ever install a "third rail" to run the 2000s, 2200s and all current equipment that will be retired one day? Since none of these cars can be coupled with the 6000s or 1-50s, IRM only options would be to modify them so they can run on the trolley poles or leave them a static exhibits.