Weird Destination Sign.

jesi2282

9 minutes ago, cta5658 said:

Question, does this fix the SB 34 South Michigan signs as they've been saying 34 95/RED LINE since around 2017 or 2018 even though they're heading south to 131st/Ellis?

No, since there would be something wrong with the GPS. Maybe both got fixed.

On 7/6/2023 at 1:00 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

They most definitely look weird I bet cta will also say thst it will save money not using the entire sign & make it last longer some goofy ???

It might depend on the garage too. I'm on 95th street now I've seen 3 buses so far running 95th and it's currently centered. 

UPDATE: All of them are 8500s. 

On 7/6/2023 at 9:05 AM, YoungBusLover said:

Seems like they have already defeated the purpose. I was tooling through Old Orchard and saw a 201 sequencing "ACCESS CHICAGO" on all 3 signs, including the side one.

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

The update is almost just as bad as the last one they a year or so ago.

The last one was possibly over-descriptive. but other than something like 146, was readable. This one is a mess on several levels (not consistent, not legible, and defeating its purpose).

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2023 at 1:14 PM, Busjack said:

It's getting weirder. NB 93 had N. CALIFORNIA DODGE on 2 lines shifted to the left, but SB had it as before on one line across the sign. The destination KIMBALL BROWN LINE looked like a bit more compressed font.

It's now even stranger. Same corner, same series bus, now 93 CALIFORNIA/DODGE full width, but 93 TO  DAVIS STN PURPLE LINE on two lines scrunched to the left on the headsign. At least the right side sign didn't flip.

Has all of CTA embraced the spirit of Random CTA????????????

On 7/14/2023 at 9:01 AM, Busjack said:

Seems like they have already defeated the purpose. I was tooling through Old Orchard and saw a 201 sequencing "ACCESS CHICAGO" on all 3 signs, including the side one.

That has nothing to do with the new programming. That was accessed by an operator putting a code into the onboard system. Just like the “GO CUBS, MASKS REQUIRED, SEASONS GREETINGS” etc etc. All additional signage like that is accessed locally by the operator. 

2 hours ago, BusOps said:

That has nothing to do with the new programming. That was accessed by an operator putting a code into the onboard system. Just like the “GO CUBS, MASKS REQUIRED, SEASONS GREETINGS” etc etc. All additional signage like that is accessed locally by the operator. 

That was understood. The points are:

• Why is there an "Access Chicago" sign that is meaningless?
  • More importantly: If the purpose of taking the route name off the side sign was because the destination flipped too quickly to read it, why flip it with something meaningless? That doesn't make it any easier to read the destination.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know if anyone has caught a glimpse of how the destination sign for eastbound  #92 buses. Saying “FOSTER TO” and then “TO RED LINE” when it’s known that buses terminate at Berwyn/Broadway and not directly at the Red Line itself. It also says “To Red Line” on the route announcement call & “Berwyn Red Line” on the bus tracker. 

#84 simply says “TO RED LINE” as well on the sign & announcement as well, plus on the bus tracker instead of like “TO THORNDALE RED LINE” as to indicate to viewing passengers that’s where the bus route terminates eastbound now.

IMG_2006.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

22 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

I don’t know if anyone has caught a glimpse of how the destination sign for eastbound  #92 buses. Saying “FOSTER TO” and then “TO RED LINE” when it’s known that buses terminate at Berwyn/Broadway and not directly at the Red Line itself. It also says “To Red Line” on the route announcement call & “Berwyn Red Line” on the bus tracker. 

#84 simply says “TO RED LINE” as well on the sign & announcement as well, plus on the bus tracker instead of like “TO THORNDALE RED LINE” as to indicate to viewing passengers that’s where the bus route terminates eastbound now.

IMG_2006.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

This isn't as bad as the buses that don't get to Thorndale. The 92s to Red Line eventually get to the Foster entrance to temporary Argyle, which is what the riders need to know.

The 92 alert says:

image.thumb.png.c21ebbe7a07aa0e1989fbb27150ff2a2.png

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2023 at 1:00 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

They most definitely look weird I bet cta will also say thst it will save money not using the entire sign & make it last longer some goofy ???

On 7/6/2023 at 4:16 PM, Busjack said:

But they are wearing out the left side.?

Maybe I predicted this. I saw a NF (didn't catch the number), with the left side of the headsign all orange, and a few letters showing on the right side, but indicating the opposite terminal.

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

Maybe I predicted this. I saw a NF (didn't catch the number), with the left side of the headsign all orange, and a few letters showing on the right side, but indicating the opposite terminal.

My bus was like that yesterday it said 54 to 24th when I was going to montrose & vice versa reminded me of the old days when I was a kid & seen the 44 53 & 60's with the signs like that 

13 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

My bus was like that yesterday it said 54 to 24th when I was going to montrose & vice versa reminded me of the old days when I was a kid & seen the 44 53 & 60's with the signs like that 

That was frequent, especially with Pace, and indicated that the gps was not working correctly. The new twist was the half of the sign being orange.

8 hours ago, Busjack said:

That was frequent, especially with Pace, and indicated that the gps was not working correctly. The new twist was the half of the sign being orange.

8 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Didn't you have to manually change the signs with a knob/keypad on those series?

10 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Didn't you have to manually change the signs with a knob/keypad on those series?

5 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I'm not sure I was still in in grade school & high school when both those buses was retired 

The answer to this one is that the contract with Clever Devices (which provides the gps) was in 2004. 4400s, 5300s, 6000s and anything before that (I guess 4000s and 7300s) had the thumb dials or touchpads, Those still had an A/B button, so one could preload both terminals and then change the reading by pressing just that button. The Clever Device took over that task.

6400s, of course, had TwinVision controllers.

The Transdot dial controller is depicted on this page, and the Luminator ODK ones here.

20 hours ago, Busjack said:

The answer to this one is that the contract with Clever Devices (which provides the gps) was in 2004. 4400s, 5300s, 6000s and anything before that (I guess 4000s and 7300s) had the thumb dials or touchpads, Those still had an A/B button, so one could preload both terminals and then change the reading by pressing just that button. The Clever Device took over that task.

6400s, of course, had TwinVision controllers.

The Transdot dial controller is depicted on this page, and the Luminator ODK ones here.

Aw ok yea you still get some that mess up & be going one way but end of the line for the one on the other end