More Rail Moves

BusHunter

I noticed the Purple Line has picked up more 2400-series cars from the Green Line. It seems like the Purple Line has both sets of mismates and all cars from 2533-2600. Did they lose anything recently or did all the work motor cars transfer over to the Green Line since they are the oldest in the series?

The Green Line did not pick up anything (officially), AFAIK. Instead, if more cars are needed on the Green Line, it will continue its current practice of borrowing 2600s from the Blue Line and 3200s from the Brown Line.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that too, but I thought maybe they were sent over in the mad scramble to get 2600S back to the Pink Line after most of their 2600s went to the Blue as 5000s were increasing on the Pink. I didn't notice if there were Blue Line maps in those cars or not. Besides, I only expect this to be temporary until the 5000s resume service.

The #3100 cars previously mentioned as transferred from Pink to Blue were all transferred back to Pink. This seems to be additional equipment. BTW, that car with the LED interior lighting is the #3295 car of married pair #3295-96. It's been on Brown since the late summer. I did mention it here. (page 22 post #437) It was on Orange for a little while but not long.

Spotted #3095-96 and #3041-42 yesterday on the Pink line. So it would seem they are short on cars.

Pink line also has #2973-74, #3025-26, #3033-34, #3051-52, #3105-06, in addition to the #3157 - #3200 cars they got back. So I don't know what to think of that. Maybe they want to start running 6 car sets, (they haven't yet done that) even though they don't have the #5000's running. If your thinking this will really shorten the blue line, they seem to be getting back purple lines #2900's. I saw #2959-#2962 in one consist on the blue.

Pink line also has #2973-74, #3025-26, #3033-34, #3051-52, #3105-06, in addition to the #3157 - #3200 cars they got back. So I don't know what to think of that. Maybe they want to start running 6 car sets, (they haven't yet done that) even though they don't have the #5000's running. If your thinking this will really shorten the blue line, they seem to be getting back purple lines #2900's. I saw #2959-#2962 in one consist on the blue.

I noticed this past weekend that 3181-3182 never went back to the Pink Line after the 5000s were pulled. They are still on the Blue Line.

I noticed this past weekend that 3181-3182 never went back to the Pink Line after the 5000s were pulled. They are still on the Blue Line.

In addition to that pair, the Blue Line kept 3173-3174 and 3185-3186. I also noticed the Purple Line officially doesn't have any 2600s assigned to it anymore. Any 2600s operating on the Purple Line are borrowed from the Red Line. The Red Line has 2601-2952 assigned to it and the Blue and Pink Lines have 2953-3200 with the Pink Line having most of its original set of cars before the 5000s were pulled from service minus about 10 cars.

This morning I saw 2533-2534 and 2482-2531 on the Purple Line trains.

The Green Line has actually been losing its cars. For example, the Green Line now no longer has either one of the mis-mates (2469-2504 and 2482-2531) or any cars numbered in the 2530s on up or even some of the cars numbered in the 2480s. As a result, it is now resorting to borrowing cars from either the Blue Line or the Brown Line as needed.

Some #2200's were in the Howard yard yesterday, #2300-#2299 and another pair at least. I couldn't help but notice, they have put new signs up at Dempster on the yellow line calling the stop Dempster-Skokie. I guess they don't want riders to be confused with Oakton-Skokie down the street. I wonder if the roll signs on the cars will be getting replaced. "Skokie" is a little vague when they have two stops in Skokie.

..."Skokie" is a little vague when they have two stops in Skokie.

Unless they are going to have a short turn at Oakton (and I think the crossover is where the platform is supposed to be) it isn't going to make much difference

In the meantime, there was a story that some consultant suggested Asbury over Dodge as the location for an Evanston station, if only someone would come up with the nonexistent $23 mil construction cost and $1 mil a year to staff it.

Unless they are going to have a short turn at Oakton (and I think the crossover is where the platform is supposed to be) it isn't going to make much difference

In the meantime, there was a story that some consultant suggested Asbury over Dodge as the location for an Evanston station, if only someone would come up with the nonexistent $23 mil construction cost and $1 mil a year to staff it.

Then why would they change the stop name to Dempster-Skokie instead of just Skokie? I wouldn't be surprised if Evanston started having there signs changed as well. The beginner may get lost if they were to get off at Central/Purple line and look for an #85. As far as Asbury at first it doesn't make sense, but when you think about it, Asbury would get ridership from all directions versus for instance the park at Dodge. They could extend the #49B to terminate there or reroute the #93 to serve it. That station probably will happen in the next 5-10 years. As far as Oakton, it looks to open soon, if you look at this link which you can click on the Swift updates complete with pictures. Although they haven't yet constructed any sort of bus terminal/dropoff, (maybe when it gets warmer or a phase 2 project) the station is for the most part completed. Although I don't like the idea of walking under a high voltage tower on the platform entrance/exit at Searle, which doesn't seem to have proper railing around it to protect riders from going into the rail line. Hopefully they intend to do something about that.

Then why would they change the stop name to Dempster-Skokie instead of just Skokie? I wouldn't be surprised if Evanston started having there signs changed as well. ...

As far as stations go, there isn't any ambiguity in Oakton, since the station in Evanston is South Ave. Someone might have thought that there is an ambiguity in just having a station named Skokie, in that Oakton is still in Skokie. However, having a Skokie train isn't any more ambiguous (as far as train lines) than an East 63rd St. one, although they eventually fixed that.

Most people know it as the Skokie Swift, and so long as it has a yellow sign, it probably doesn't matter. Cramming as many letters as necessary to have Dempster-Skokie probably makes the sign unreadable. For instance, I never agreed with Kimball as opposed to Kimball-Lawrence, but can see how that doesn't fit on a sign. By the same token, someone pointed out that Harlem Lake was not actually on Lake.

Of course, it would be a real mess if the Blue Line had a short turn on any street where there is both an O'Hare and Congress station. Fortunately, the short turns are at UIC-Halsted and Jefferson Park.

• 1 month later...

Spotted 2523-2534 (2523 leading) on the Red Line NB at Jackson at 6:35pm today. The other 6 cars were of the 2600 Series.

I saw that same train later in the evening NB at Lawrence shortly after 9:30pm when trying to navigate around the reported Brown Line service disruption reported on in the forum. I'm guessing this has to do with reported 2400s from the Green Line going to the Red, spoken on in the 5000s thread as apparent prep for 5000s going to the Green Line when the 5000s start making their return.

Spotted 2523-2534 (2523 leading) on the Red Line NB at Jackson at 6:35pm today. The other 6 cars were of the 2600 Series.

I did saw those 2523-2534 on Red Line too at 95th getting ready for trip to Howard almost 12 Noon while I was driving Northbound off I-57 to I-94 going North. Those were former Green Line 2400s.