More Rail Moves

BusHunter

Maybe someone has put there thinking cap on at CTA. The Brown line should lose a few #3200's to Blue line (maybe after green line gets some #5000's) perhaps with a small #2600/#3200 swap. It seems ridiculous to have newer type trains sitting in a yard, when they have older ones running 24/7.

Gotta ask why on this one. The Brown Line had 3200's since their introduction in 1991-1992. I don't think they'll be transferring them out to get older stock here. If anything, the 2600's will get put on the Blue Line and will continue to remain on the Red Line with perhaps a mix of 5000's(there is over 300 there and the 5000's jobs are to retire the 2200's and 2400's one way or another).

One way to do that is to give the Blue, Green and Purple 3200's, yeah. But rather than give 2600's to the Brown and Orange to do so, give them 5000's(Brown needs 162, Orange needs 94. That makes 256 newer units that have already been tried and true to retire the oldest equipment).

@RJL6000: What do "sharp turns" have to do with the 5000's being on the Brown Line? Are the 5000's that badly manufactured they can't run on this line? And how can they survive the Red Line? That Sheridan S-Curve is pretty sharp, you can hear the wheels squealing on the turns. Even in the State St. Subway there are sharp turns as you can hear those wheels squealing in certain sections.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks that way. Also, the Red and Purple lines (Howard Yard) will receive those Green Line 2400s that are in better shape when the Green Line starts receiving 5000s. This will enable some of the Red Line 2600s (most likely the lowest-numbered, and therefore oldest, 2600s) to be moved to the Blue Line, retiring all remaining 2200s. Then, when the Red Line begins receiving 5000s (after the Green Line gets 100% 5000s), the retirement of all remaining 2400s from passenger service will commence. At some point in the midst of the Red Line's reception of 5000s, the Purple Line will be all 2600s for the time being. Then, the Orange Line is next to receive 5000s; at that point, retirement of the oldest 2600s will likely commence, being replaced in the Blue Line fleet with the Orange Line 3200s. In the end, after all of the lines slated for 5000s gets them, the Blue Line will become the only line to still have 2600s in its fleet as well as the only line to operate with mixed 2600- and 3200-series equipment.

The above scenario is the most prudent because it keeps equipment swapping to a minimum.

It will be nice to see 2400/2600 on the Red Line for the last time before the 5000's come in. I guess it make since since it will be easy to maintain 2400's at Howard. Im kinda surprised they won't shift 2400 back to the Blue....@ Least it will all ADA trains running. But Blue will be getting about 78 2600 from Purple (18) and Red (60), in addition to the 54 thats now making its way from the Pink Line..oh yeah and the 6 from the GreenLine so they will have 138 2600 cars to be an all 2600 route until they start recieving 3200s from Orange.

Maybe someone has put there thinking cap on at CTA. The Brown line should lose a few #3200's to Blue line (maybe after green line gets some #5000's) perhaps with a small #2600/#3200 swap. It seems ridiculous to have newer type trains sitting in a yard, when they have older ones running 24/7. I still say the #2600's should become what the #6000's and 5-50's were in the late 80's - early 90's, a rush hour only equipment. I'm still surprised the Purple line is slated to get all #5000's, when 80 percent of the time most of the trains are not in service. Most likely those will head to red when the 130th street expansion gets going. I wouldn't be surprised if the blue line would then give back it's #3200's to Purple giving them all old trains.

In my opinion, since 2600s were the largest amount order to CTA, there's a guarantee that some of 2600s will continue to run 24/7 depending on which line they'll be ending up at or rest of 5000s will going to after the completion order of 5000s. But I wonder which 24/7 lines that's going to receive 5000s first: Red or Blue Lines.

In my opinion, since 2600s were the largest amount order to CTA, there's a guarantee that some of 2600s will continue to run 24/7 depending on which line they'll be ending up at or rest of 5000s will going to after the completion order of 5000s. But I wonder which 24/7 lines that's going to receive 5000s first: Red or Blue Lines.

Current plans are for the Red Line to receive the 5000s immediately following the Green Line - and the Red Line receiving them would begin some time during the third quarter of 2012 (next year). The Blue Line is not currently slated to receive any 5000s.

And to avoid mixed fleets of AC and DC equipment except during times when a given line is in the midst of receiving the new cars, the plan is to completely equip all but two lines with the 5000s. Hence, if both the Red and Blue lines receive all 5000s, then there would not be enough remaining 5000s to completely equip even the Pink Line, let alone the Brown or Green lines. As a result, had most of the 5000s gone to entirely equip the Red and Blue lines, most of the rest of the system would remain entirely equipped with old DC equipment.

This puts a bit of stock in the possibility of the Brown Line becoming all 5000-Series in the near future. the 3200-Series cars from Kimball can be transferred to the Loomis or the 63rd Yard which can effectively start retiring the 2400-Series or complete retirement of the 2200-Series cars by transferring some 2400's to the Blue Line while the 5000-Series next batch start coming to Kimball Yard when the Brown Line is shut down nightly around 2-3a.

This link was right about the Pink Line recieving 5000's first so maybe we can use this to clear it out.

http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/roster/5000mkII.html

There, it says that the Brown along with the Blue Line would retain older equipment while every other line would receive 5000s. Also apparently Claypool wants the fleet to expand to 1,400 cars but then in the budget said only an increase of 60.

Gotta ask why on this one. The Brown Line had 3200's since their introduction in 1991-1992. I don't think they'll be transferring them out to get older stock here. If anything, the 2600's will get put on the Blue Line and will continue to remain on the Red Line with perhaps a mix of 5000's(there is over 300 there and the 5000's jobs are to retire the 2200's and 2400's one way or another).

One way to do that is to give the Blue, Green and Purple 3200's, yeah. But rather than give 2600's to the Brown and Orange to do so, give them 5000's(Brown needs 162, Orange needs 94. That makes 256 newer units that have already been tried and true to retire the oldest equipment).

It's been done before, the brown line getting a few #2600's, that's nothing new. I'm just saying transfer a small amount (40-50) to supplement the orange line transfer of #3200's to the blue. This way you can get most of the older cars off the system as much as possible. The #2600's will be about 30 years old when this current #5000 delivery ends.

That's out of the question if Chicago-L is trustworthy. The Brown won't be touched with 5000's at all

I saw 2537-2538 on the Purple Line this morning.

For the last week or two the purple line has been running with a few red line #2600's. They must be short on #2500's. I counted at least 10 of these cars yesterday. Also something of interest, I notice now that Belmont and Fullerton (red) have what looks like Titan signs on the platform. (the flat screen TV's) I don't remember those signs being there before. Strangely enough, they have no titan badge/marking on them. Now those two stations have those signs and the LED signs that display in amber hanging from the platform canopy. They must really want you to know when the train is arriving there. Some of the stations display time information on the older type signs with the crawl. (mostly around the loop) Some stations don't display that info at all. I wonder why?

So far so good this Sunday, I was at Forest Park CTA Blue Line Terminal, I did actually spotted 2200s 2241-42 and 2219-20 on the Platform along with Ex-Pink Line's 2600s(3181-3182) around late afternoon.

Blue line has #3174-73 now. They also have #3186-85. They should have #3173-#3178, #3181-#3192 now, but I haven't seen the others in service yet.

Blue line has #3174-73 now. They also have #3186-85. They should have #3173-#3178, #3181-#3192 now, but I haven't seen the others in service yet.

They should be heading back to the Pink Line over the weekend, as the 5000s are being temporarily pulled from service to fix a mechanical defect that's unrelated to the Tower 18 dead-spot stalling problem.

I'll throw these Out Of Service Units at the forum again in the hopes to shed some information on their early retirements...

2283-2284

2345-2346

3351-3352

Any information would be appreciated, and you will get credit for the information you provide...

I believe that 3351-3352 was involved in a derailment on the Brown Line tracks earlier this year, and suffered damage that was serious enough to remove that pair from service. They may be repaired and returned to service at some point in the future.

I'll throw these Out Of Service Units at the forum again in the hopes to shed some information on their early retirements...

2283-2284

2345-2346

3351-3352

Any information would be appreciated, and you will get credit for the information you provide...

#2345-46 might be back in service. I think I saw those last week on the blue. I'll see if I can double check that.

I believe that 3351-3352 was involved in a derailment on the Brown Line tracks earlier this year, and suffered damage that was serious enough to remove that pair from service. They may be repaired and returned to service at some point in the future.

I believe that 3351-3352 will return to service soon since now it's probably in progress for rehab anyways along with rest of 3200s coming soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Spotted #3095-96 and #3041-42 yesterday on the Pink line. So it would seem they are short on cars.

I saw that too, but I thought maybe they were sent over in the mad scramble to get 2600S back to the Pink Line after most of their 2600s went to the Blue as 5000s were increasing on the Pink. I didn't notice if there were Blue Line maps in those cars or not. Besides, I only expect this to be temporary until the 5000s resume service.

Were the LED's in Yellow(older/existing) or Brown(new color spec/Brown Line)?

I think he means interior lighting, jtrosario. None of the 3200's have the LED Displays. I'll believe that upgrade when I see it, because if they're retiring this series starting in about 9 years(30th year of service for oldest 3200-Series cars), why put out all that money for new displays? Just keep the roller curtains until retirement.

I think he means interior lighting, jtrosario. None of the 3200's have the LED Displays. I'll believe that upgrade when I see it, because if they're retiring this series starting in about 9 years(30th year of service for oldest 3200-Series cars), why put out all that money for new displays? Just keep the roller curtains until retirement.

Yup, the LEDs were on the interior. I can't remember the exact number but I do know that that car was deffinately on the Orange Line not too long ago.

Spotted #3095-96 and #3041-42 yesterday on the Pink line. So it would seem they are short on cars.

I noticed the Purple Line has picked up more 2400-series cars from the Green Line. It seems like the Purple Line has both sets of mismates and all cars from 2533-2600. Did they lose anything recently or did all the work motor cars transfer over to the Green Line since they are the oldest in the series?