CTA Bus Garage Rosters

sw4400

What would be weird is if you saw a nova loaned to Kedzie or 103rd which has never had them.

According to an operator on Facebook, he states that the Novas will not fit through the wash rack at Kedzie garage. So that may be why they have never really been assigned there. Probably the new Novas apply to this also.

According to an operator on Facebook, he states that the Novas will not fit through the wash rack at Kedzie garage. So that may be why they have never really been assigned there. Probably the new Novas apply to this also.

But then they can get artics through, and the construction reports for the hoist project indicate work in the Kedzie Wash/Inspection Bay (Nov, Oct).

• Upvote 1

See, this is why I don't listen to a lot of drivers out here because that's just really bs. The Novas can't fit but how in the hell the 4300s can especially the DE's if THEY ARE DAMN WELL 10 FEET TALL?!?!?!

• Upvote 1

See, this is why I don't listen to a lot of drivers out here because that's just really bs. The Novas can't fit but how in the hell the 4300s can especially the DE's if THEY ARE DAMN WELL 10 FEET TALL?!?!?!

11 more likely, but I suppose that the issue is length, but your point about garage gossip has been accepted.

• Upvote 4

I'm pretty sure a nova could fit in the bus wash rack, i mean its a bus!!if it's like the wash racks at 103rd or any garage for that matter. I saw his comment too on FB and was like he don't know what he's talking about. Kedzie garage just so happen to be on the 3 garages that don't have nova buses that's all nothing more or less. And I'm sure the height of the new Novas are no taller than the height of a 4300. I was reading a lot of comments on FB in regards to the bus and etc and just stopped because I found myself getting angry because of a lack of knowledge they had.

• Upvote 3

... I was reading a lot of comments on FB in regards to the bus and etc and just stopped because I found myself getting angry because of a lack of knowledge they had.

I mentioned that before. Of the new comments, there were a couple about "why didn't they wash the bus," like it wasn't going to get from 79th St, to Lake St. without picking up some road grime.

I mentioned that before. Of the new comments, there were a couple about "why didn't they wash the bus," like it wasn't going to get from 79th St, to Lake St. without picking up some road grime.

Exactly!! I read that too so I rather not read them again lol at least on here you have people who have a lot of knowledge and insight concerning buses and trains lol.

But then they can get artics through, and the construction reports for the hoist project indicate work in the Kedzie Wash/Inspection Bay (Nov, Oct).

If the issue were length, then Kedzie wouldn't be able to wash any of its buses at all and we know that's not true since somehow all other 40 foot length buses in the current Kedzie Garage's history managed to get washed on sight. The point was already made about artics there. And there was the brief moment that Kedzie had borrowed Novas from Chicago and a few other Nova garages as a contingency immediately following the 7500s getting pulled. That happened at a period of winter conditions and those Novas somehow got washed on site before returning to their respective garages once a more permanent bus assignment was established.

;And if the issue were height, that operator still didn't know he was talking about because not only would he have to explain the DE60LFRs among the 4300s getting washed, but he would have had to explain the 800s, which are 11 feet 2 inches high due to those tall battery packs on their roofs.

If the issue were length, then Kedzie wouldn't be able to wash any of its buses at all and we know that's not true since somehow all other 40 foot length buses in the current Kedzie Garage's history managed to get washed on sight. The point was already made about artics there. And there was the brief moment that Kedzie had borrowed Novas from Chicago and a few other Nova garages as a contingency immediately following the 7500s getting pulled. ...

The borrowed one makes the point. I was thinking that the big nose on the front of a Nova affected the length, but the spec sheet says that it is still 40.0'. On the other hand, most artics with the big nose, including Nova's, are 62.' But we agree, it is baloney.

I took the Optimas off the roster. All indications are they all gone, retired or on long term hold. I just have them under the retired buses section now. Once I update the #500's in service page, I'll most likely take them off the roster altogether.

It's still a few optima's at 103rd not many in service but I have seen a few on the 108 before the last time I saw that was about 2 weeks ago though. And I believe I saw some one pull in not too long ago as well.

It's still a few optima's at 103rd not many in service but I have seen a few on the 108 before the last time I saw that was about 2 weeks ago though. And I believe I saw some one pull in not too long ago as well.

Wordguy said the last friday they ran was 2/21 which was two fridays ago. The last one he saw was on the #111A which is now being run by NF's. I know myself I haven't seen any from Fg on the #54A or anywhere since then myself.

I rode that bus this past Friday on #50 but it still had the letter C on the windshield. So therefore, it should be back at Chicago.

Sorry but still having a C sticker means nothing. 1856 and 1858 were still displaying C stickers for a while also and those are still assigned to North Park. Sometimes they go into second and third picks after reassignment before changing the garage stickers. Case in point the 4050s displayed K stickers for almost two months and those are still at North Park. And it took about the same amount of time for Kedzie to replace the '03' stickers on the 4320s and 4330s with K stickers. CTA does a lot of bus swapping especially in these recent weeks so it wouldn't be a surprise that some buses sport stickers from a previous garage assignment for a couple of months after reassignment, so your point is oversimplified. Most of the 6800s are rolling around with a 7 sticker, but should we believe that FG is giving those back to 77th anytime soon?

Sorry but still having a C sticker means nothing. 1856 and 1858 were still displaying C stickers for a while also and those are still assigned to North Park. Sometimes they go into second and third picks after reassignment before changing the garage stickers. Case in point the 4050s displayed K stickers for almost two months and those are still at North Park. And it took about the same amount of time for Kedzie to replace the '03' stickers on the 4320s and 4330s with K stickers. CTA does a lot of bus swapping especially in these recent weeks so it wouldn't be a surprise that some buses sport stickers from a previous garage assignment for a couple of months after reassignment, so your point is oversimplified. Most of the 6800s are rolling around with a 7 sticker, but should we believe that FG is giving those back to 77th anytime soon?

Then that's like saying that they are swapped for temporary reasons if they're not in their respective garages.

Then that's like saying that they are swapped for temporary reasons if they're not in their respective garages.

No, it is just saying that scraping the stickers off the windshields has never been a priority.

But I go back to the days when there weren't any stickers and you basically had to guess why routes 1, 4, and 55 never had the same buses. I mentioned before that I overheard CTA personnel discussing a bus with an "EAST TERMINAL" sign on 55, and one of them said something about it being a 77th bus. It took later to find out that there were barns at 69th and Ashland and 77th and Vincennes.

No, it is just saying that scraping the stickers off the windshields has never been a priority.

But I go back to the days when there weren't any stickers and you basically had to guess why routes 1, 4, and 55 never had the same buses. I mentioned before that I overheard CTA personnel discussing a bus with an "EAST TERMINAL" sign on 55, and one of them said something about it being a 77th bus. It took later to find out that there were barns at 69th and Ashland and 77th and Vincennes.

That seems very frustrating to figure them out back then.

Back in the "old days" CTA made much more of an effort to keep buses in numerical order at each garage, and let's say 5 3300's were to go from Limits to Lawndale, they would take the first five numbers from Limits and send them, not five from the middle or end of the group. Part of the reason was that at that time, fareboxes were assigned to garages also, and when a bus moved, it changed fareboxes. This was in an era (pre-1969) when there were three basic kinds of fareboxes (Johnson J's, Keenes, and Grants) and certain routes had to have buses with certain boxes. For instance, and bus out of North Park on the 97-Skokie had to have a Grant (later a Keene) because of the fare situation (pay exit WB, extra fare west of Howard/McCormick that a J-box could not be used for (J's only took quarters and tokens, Grants took anything). Also, sign rollers had to be changed with a transfer, and later radio chips. Now everything is universal, so "any 5 will do".

• Upvote 1

Forest Glen Garage is going to be losing all it's New Flyer and Optima buses, becoming completely NovaBus sometime before this month is out.

I think it's safe to say everybody hit that conclusion now that they're down to only 7 NFs (if that many) and the Optimas from any garage equipped with them haven't really been seen out on the roads in a couple weeks at least.

Forest Glen Garage is going to be losing all it's New Flyer and Optima buses, becoming completely NovaBus sometime before this month is out.

More likely in about 3 days, the question is will 74th lose more NF's? And will Chicago and 77th become all NF's? If we look at what's happening in CTA rail, the answer is most likely.