CTA Service Adjustments

CURRENTZ_09

That's about the only thing that counts, as far as being effective politically. The question then becomes whether the alderman was convinced enough to try to exercise clout

Update: Looks like Emanuel and Claypool live in the 47th, too. Wonder if the alderman Pawar wants to take on the machine so soon after being elected.

Big whoop Emanuel and Claypool live in the 47th Ward. That doesn't mean as much as if we were saying Daley lived in the same ward as Alderman X. The aldermen in this current city council seem to show more umbrage than those under Daley to going along with things just because "Hizzoner" threw his weight behind it over whether it's the right thing to do for their wards. And given a still shaky economy these current aldermen are skiddish over optics what could be construed as a threat to jobs in their wards going through and they didn't put up a fight. The more accurate scenario would be is Ald. Pawar willing to ignore a business leader saying losing this bus route along that stretch would hurt his business to be Emanuel's blind rubber stamp on this when the current aldermen on the council campaigned on not being a rubber stamp to the mayor's office?

,,, The more accurate scenario would be is Ald. Pawar willing to ignore a business leader saying losing this bus route along that stretch would hurt his business to be Emanuel's blind rubber stamp on this when the current aldermen on the council campaigned on not being a rubber stamp to the mayor's office?

That's the $64000 Question. The ones that were elected in 2007 were supposed to be real independent, but that lasted a couple of weeks.

However, as I just developed on the CTA Tattler (and especially based on the discussion of the aborted 55A/N restructuring) that course sure seems more effective (if anything can be) than showing up at the Taj CTA tomorrow.

If CTA goes through with their service plans on December 16th as to relations of the cuts to the 90N route, will Pace beef up service on the 423 south of Touhy to accomodate the ridership increase that is likely to occur? Also, no doubt with no need for the Touhy and Overhill terminal any longer CTA will most likely sell the property. What will become of the 290 trips that terminate there? Just some thoughts.

If CTA goes through with their service plans on December 16th as to relations of the cuts to the 90N route, will Pace beef up service on the 423 south of Touhy to accomodate the ridership increase that is likely to occur? Also, no doubt with no need for the Touhy and Overhill terminal any longer CTA will most likely sell the property. What will become of the 290 trips that terminate there? Just some thoughts.

Pace still uses other CTA disused turnarounds, or, as near such places as Yorktown or Hammond, figured out how to circle the block.

However, I answered the first question before. To put it simply, those in Norwood Park have a mayor, whose name is Rahm Emanuel, and 41st Ward Alderwoman Mary O'Connor. Richard A. Kwasneski, former President, Village of Lemont, and Pace Chairman does not represent them. Pace is barely willing to run 423 now, and generally uses ElDorados except on school trips.

So why is there the assumption here that the CTA restructuring puts obligations on Pace, other than CTA saying, but not establishing, that Pace will run peak 317? Especially in the city? Pace has its reason to run these buses, which is only to connect suburbanites to the nearest CTA rail station.

Guest ctafan630

It apparently was during 3 track and still is, but is supposed to be under construction for the next 8 years.

If you look at the map, it is not the same loop in Streeterville, but more closely confined to the area around Northwest Memorial/Lurie Children's Hospitals, Northwestern Law School, and the American Bar Center. It does not go north of Chicago Ave., while the main loop for 157 (Chestnut-Lake Shore) is north of at least Ohio.

Extending the #120 and #121 into Streeterville makes no sense to me especially since these are rush hour only routes. This practically duplicates the service on the #157 between Streeterville and the train stations during the rush periods. Granted the #157 is not an express route, but I dont now how you could consider the 120/121 routes express after December. Another option is the #125 which services both train stations already and goes to the new Lurie Children's hospital.

If the CTA is trying to cut down on duplicate service, why have two routes going to the same place. Wouldn't one route servicing both train stations be more effective?

If the CTA is trying to cut down on duplicate service, why have two routes going to the same place. Wouldn't one route servicing both train stations be more effective?

How many times has it been mentioned that if the bus is full at Union, it can't serve passengers attempting to board at Ogilvie?

Do you have the boarding numbers? Or should all 4 routes be eliminated and everyone pack onto the 157 during rush hour?

Extending the #120 and #121 into Streeterville makes no sense to me especially since these are rush hour only routes. This practically duplicates the service on the #157 between Streeterville and the train stations during the rush periods. Granted the #157 is not an express route, but I dont now how you could consider the 120/121 routes express after December. Another option is the #125 which services both train stations already and goes to the new Lurie Children's hospital.

And there you touch upon one of the other big flaws in this whole deal that some of the rest of us point out.

Guest ctafan630

How many times has it been mentioned that if the bus is full at Union, it can't serve passengers attempting to board at Ogilvie?

I have ridden the CTA for years and have experienced full buses on numerous occassions and every single time the bus makes stop after stop and people still cram their way on to a bus.

You reply is non-sense because drivers do stop. I experienced it a few times in a two month period while I rode the #125 between Union and the Hancock.

I suppose you are going to tell us, you never rode on a bus that has been packed?

I have ridden the CTA for years and have experienced full buses on numerous occassions and every single time the bus makes stop after stop and people still cram their way on to a bus.

You reply is non-sense because drivers do stop. I experienced it a few times in a two month period while I rode the #125 between Union and the Hancock.

I suppose you are going to tell us, you never rode on a bus that has been packed?

No. Besides this being a "decrowding initiaive," I'll tell you this.

Except it is now about 80 minutes. Even though you won't see CurrentZ and me there, time to get there.

Any reviews about the meeting?

There is the Tribune one. Apparently someone figured out what I did:

"The process smells of a sham. One meeting in an overcrowded room," Uptown resident Michael Dannhauser complained to CTA President Forrest Claypool and the six CTA board members in attendance.

Unfortunately, most of the article is a rehash of what was said 2 weeks ago.

Update: You get a more comprehensive report in the Sun-Times. I see that Ald. Pawar is quoted there.

Update: You get a more comprehensive report in the Sun-Times. I see that Ald. Pawar is quoted there.

One thing to note is that Ald. Pawar is in the 47th Ward, not 46th... who hires these people??? I've noticed lots of errors in the stories in the Sun Times lately. Words mis-typed or mis-worded, don't they have Editors and Proofreaders on staff to check for these oversights before it goes to press?

One thing to note is that Ald. Pawar is in the 47th Ward, not 46th... who hires these people??? I've noticed lots of errors in the stories in the Sun Times lately. Words mis-typed or mis-worded,* don't they have Editors and Proofreaders on staff to check for these oversights before it goes to press?

Of course not. Both newspaper companies are bankrupt, and given the Internet age, nobody cares about detail or proofreading. According to Feder, both have subcontracted work to a company with low standards.

I guess, though, that since CurrentZ was looking for reports, you didn't go, but it seems like Lincoln and Wilson Aves. were well represented. Maybe the ones on Wilson will walk 3-1/2 blocks south to Claypool's home and ask for a limo ride downtown.

*I don't know how afield, but my spell checker doesn't like the hyphens, but only accepted mistyped.

I had a night shift yesterday.

Which is why I am sure they scheduled one hearing downtown, instead of what I said was usual practice in a restructuring,which would be, say, Truman College or some school or park fieldhouse near Lincoln and Montrose.

The only question here is whether the 6 CTA Board Members who attended got a sufficient earful that it motivates them to do the unexpected. I'll hold the betting pool on that, too.

I don't know how reliable a WBEZ blog (listed on the homepage) is, but I enjoyed:

Remember when I pointed out that the CTA was trying to spray Febreze on its stink-pile of a "de-crowding plan"? Lots of people agreed and they made themselves heard at a public hearing Tuesday night.

Also, clicking into the CBS Chicago one (via the "made themselves heard") link, yielded:

"Should it be eliminated, over 100 individuals will immediately lose their jobs," said John Plunkett, president of the non-profit group Harborquest, which partners with CTA on the X98 Avon Express. He said CTA wants to double the underwriting fee Harborquest provides for the route.

So we see what's the bottom line.

There was also the person from Lincoln Ave., who said this would just dump the cost on paratransit, and hence not be efficient if one were to take a global view.

I had a night shift yesterday.

I am disappointed that i couldn't attend and give you the WHOLE scoop (DAMN!!!!) but i will keep watching from the sideline and remember, CURRENTZ09 will be your exclusive for the CURRENTZ09 recap show of the CTA Red Line Soutn Community Meetings Updates coming Fall 2012 and intro early 2013 before the May 2013 shutdown.

I am disappointed that i couldn't attend and give you the WHOLE scoop (DAMN!!!!) but i will keep watching from the sideline and remember, CURRENTZ09 will be your exclusive for the CURRENTZ09 recap show of the CTA Red Line Soutn Community Meetings Updates coming Fall 2012 and intro early 2013 before the May 2013 shutdown.

I think that the sources cited in the news feed on the home page give an adequate picture of what happened and indicate that this meeting did not go over like you purported it would.

Maybe, though, you can ask your secret contacts when the Red Line hearing near 95th will be held, or if it wasn't held yet for the reason I stated, i.e. CTA is unwilling to meet the affected people where they live and work.

I think that the sources cited in the news feed on the home page give an adequate picture of what happened and indicate that this meeting did not go over like you purported it would.

Maybe, though, you can ask your secret contacts when the Red Line hearing near 95th will be held, or if it wasn't held yet for the reason I stated, i.e. CTA is unwilling to meet the affected people where they live and work.

@Busjack....................Not on my time

Like everybody else, we will all have to wait for the grand announcement of when these meetings will occur and also, if i was their, my report would have outlined everything that happened at the meeting, not what the media ouitlets want you to know. They don't capture the atmopshere in the room like an exclusive observor can do

@Busjack....................Not on my time

Like everybody else, we will all have to wait for the grand announcement of when these meetings will occur and also, if i was their, my report would have outlined everything that happened at the meeting, not what the media ouitlets want you to know. They don't capture the atmopshere in the room like an exclusive observor can do

I suppose that you should read this article from the Center Square Journal (cited on the home page) stating that the room was so crowded, that to meet fire codes, speakers had to leave as soon as they spoke so that others could enter. Thus, I doubt that you could have "parked your can" in the room for the entire hearing.

I just got back from the store today, I decided to take the long way so I went down Montrose through Horner Park, Irving Park and then back up Lincoln. Walking down by Welles park, two westbound 78s went by me in the space of 20 seconds. I shook my head and kept walking. Less then a minute later, another westbound 78 rolls on by. I thought, "it is going to be a long wait for the next one" but didn't think too much of it, it was only in one direction. Then waiting to cross Western, two southbound 49s back to back drive past. Finally, before I get past the Aldi, which is 1/2 blocks from the Montrose/Western, two eastbound 78s drive past back to back. Is the CTA going to be able to run these routes better with increased service or are we going to just have more buses bunched up together and less options to get places.

edit: I forgot to add one. There were actually three eastbound 78s as well. One of them had Forest Park Garage on the sign with the requisite improvised paper signs marking it as a 78 as well.

I just got back from the store today, I decided to take the long way so I went down Montrose through Horner Park, Irving Park and then back up Lincoln. Walking down by Welles park, two westbound 78s went by me in the space of 20 seconds. I shook my head and kept walking. Less then a minute later, another westbound 78 rolls on by. I thought, "it is going to be a long wait for the next one" but didn't think too much of it, it was only in one direction. Then waiting to cross Western, two southbound 49s back to back drive past. Finally, before I get past the Aldi, which is 1/2 blocks from the Montrose/Western, two eastbound 78s drive past back to back. Is the CTA going to be able to run these routes better with increased service or are we going to just have more buses bunched up together and less options to get places.

edit: I forgot to add one. There were actually three eastbound 78s as well. One of them had Forest Park Garage on the sign with the requisite improvised paper signs marking it as a 78 as well.

78's are notorious for being late, if not showing up at all. Unless they expect to short turn them (Cicero?), people between the Blue and Red Lines won't see their buses show up.

As a friend sent me a text last week:

"The Montrose Bus has been upgraded from every other week to once a night..." I lol'ed.

... Is the CTA going to be able to run these routes better with increased service or are we going to just have more buses bunched up together and less options to get places.

I didn't follow all of this, but unless supervisors learn how to use BusTracker, I doubt that the routes will run better. You also didn't report whether all the 78s were stuffed to the gills, but I would tend to doubt it.