CTA Service Adjustments

CURRENTZ_09

It's under a link in that same story with the devil in the details. For some reason the links not working. The url is chicagonow.com/cta-tattler/2012/08/details-on-cta-service-expansion-bus-routes-changes-and-eliminations/ if you want to look it up. Anyway he states that bus service will increase during peak periods, while he didn't say it wouldn't in non peak periods, I take it to mean only peak periods. Anyway most of the service there canceling is weekdays only so I doubt there's going to be weekend expansion unless they want to pay out more than there gaining by losing the other routes.

This link does. (If it doesn't, it is the post of August 22, 2012 at 7:14 pm.)

In any event, the only thing Kevin O'Neil purports to do is report what is in the presentation, the same as what is on this home page. Although he does mention "peak periods," the only time rush hour is mentioned is in the comments.

Thus, I would rely on the subsequent CTA Tattler post I cited that the details have not been disclosed

In any event, since the primary source (i.e. the presentation) is cited, it speaks (or doesn't speak) for itself.

Maps showed up, so I guess people going to the hearing have the weekend to stew over them.

Significant:

• Wilson loses all express service; 148 does cover 144, so the only difference is that someone boarding on Marine Drive north of Lawrence has to ride via Clarendon.
  • It looks like "extend to Streeterville" is correct, but Illinois Center loses service; less importantly, so does Navy Pier, except for 124.
  • 81W: Via East River as predicted, but only on weekdays.
  • 111: You folks were correct on that: "new service." While 353 shows up on map, there isn't the "Pace bus routes" legend like on the NW and SW side maps.

Maps showed up, so I guess people going to the hearing have the weekend to stew over them.

Significant:

• Wilson loses all express service; 148 does cover 144, so the only difference is that someone boarding on Marine Drive north of Lawrence has to ride via Clarendon.
  • It looks like "extend to Streeterville" is correct, but Illinois Center loses service; less importantly, so does Navy Pier, except for 124.
  • 81W: Via East River as predicted, but only on weekdays.
  • 111: You folks were correct on that: "new service." While 353 shows up on map, there isn't the "Pace bus routes" legend like on the NW and SW side maps.

Other things I noticed:

- Both 111 and new 115 routes will now end at 119th and I-57 in that shopping area.

- The 28 takes on the X28 Hyde Park routing at all times

- The map says that Pace will assume rush hour service on 317, but somehow still shows the 325 and 747 as existing routes.

- Based on the new routing of the 148, it seems that the 148 or the 144 would not be needed. The only difference is one operates via Marine Dr between Irving Pk and Foster, the other operates via Clarendon (a stone's throw from Marine Dr) between Irving Pk and Lawrence, then via Marine Dr between Lawrence and Foster. In any event, this leads me to believe that both 144 and 148 will operate out of North Park.

Other things I noticed:

- The map says that Pace will assume rush hour service on 317, but somehow still shows the 325 and 747 as existing routes.

- Based on the new routing of the 148, it seems that the 148 or the 144 would not be needed. The only difference is one operates via Marine Dr between Irving Pk and Foster, the other operates via Clarendon (a stone's throw from Marine Dr) between Irving Pk and Lawrence, then via Marine Dr between Lawrence and Foster. In any event, this leads me to believe that both 144 and 148 will operate out of North Park.

1. Just proving that CTA doesn't talk to Pace (or that the RTA doesn't update its maps).

2. On the other had you missed that 144 had a red line, and hence is being discontinued. That was the whole point of jajuan's photo essay a couple of days ago (update, except that those riders are only minimally affected).

1. Just proving that CTA doesn't talk to Pace (or that the RTA doesn't update its maps).

2. On the other had you missed that 144 had a red line, and hence is being discontinued. That was the whole point of jajuan's photo essay a couple of days ago (update, except that those riders are only minimally affected).

Yes, the 144 is eliminated. I knew that, and I still missed it. Now this makes sense.

The only issue I have with the newest version of the North Lake Shore restructuring is that they leave Wilson Ave with no express service whatsoever if this is approved and assumes that those living on the westernmost end of the current routing of 145/148 want to cram into an overcrowded Red Line train after leaving a 78 or 81 bus as they would be forced to take if this comes about. The combination of the 144 and 148 I can live with though. Given the combined route would be that of the 144 north of Lawrence, there is a possibility of less artics on 148 come December 16th since 144 currently manages to function with little or no artics in both rush periods. Maybe a mix of both would be the deal. They may have a fight with people though over Wilson no longer getting express service in their proposal. That elimination of most of the 11 by eliminating everything south of Western/Brown Line and turning the downtown portion south of the Fullerton L station into the 37 definitely won't fly with people because of all those businesses along Lincoln being left with no bus service not to mention the Brown Line is not a direct parallel through there on top of they're creating unnecessary transfers that currently don't have to be taken. The south side reroutings aren't all that controversial especially the Stony Island since it is as we all concluded that all buses on Stony Island in rush hour would be express buses. This is how they probably should have structured it to begin with after determining the Stony Island bus doesn't work as an express bus at all times. Folks still have and always had the 15 for service on Lake Park south of Hyde Park Blvd. I'm surprised they're going with the assumption they won't have the 10, 170s and the other contracted routes they named in the decrowding initiative since they put out there that they were only renegotiating the terms for these routes and not directly eliminating them.

My gut reaction is that the 144/145/148 re-routing does not make sense. North of Irving Park, the lake shore and the red line are extremely close together. So a route that parallels the red line, running local only from Foster to Irving Park (with no transfer possibilities) but then has to sit in Michigan Ave traffic seems rather redundant. Also, the old routes at least connected inland neighborhoods and/or L/Metra stations allowing a wide variety of trip options.

But then thinking about my experience on the current 148, I think the current routes fail to provide acceptable alternative routes. For instance, from the Ravenswood Metra station to Michigan Ave can take up to a forty minutes because the bus waits until Irving Park before getting onto Lakeshore. Traffic, turns, and local trips slow this portion down to a crawl. From my experience, the busiest stops are those closest to Irving Park and very few people take it all the way to Wilson/Ravenswood. If connecting the Ravenswood Metra stop was the desired effect, the local portions should be before the transfer stops, making transferring as painless and quick as possible. So for instance, 145 could start at Western/Peterson or somewhere there abouts, augment 49 to Wilson and then run straight down Wilson to LSD. That means the Brown line station, Metra station, and red line station are all right at the end of the local route making it easier to transfer from the train to the bus to get to North Michigan Ave. Currently its just to darn slow.

In the end, the loss of Wilson service is not that big of deal since the route failed in providing any benefit for those riders at the end of the route. The real solution to all of this would be to get rid of all the Lakeshore express routes and fix the red line. Riders north of Belmont can take the train as its not that far of a walk but in its current dilapidated state, the buses become a good alternative.

The only issue I have with the newest version of the North Lake Shore restructuring is that they leave Wilson Ave with no express service whatsoever if this is approved and assumes that those living on the westernmost end of the current routing of 145/148 want to cram into an overcrowded Red Line train after leaving a 78 or 81 bus as they would be forced to take if this comes about.

Putting together the map with the NBC5 story, basically leaves me with the conclusion that whatever the rationale, CTA doesn't find it worth it to serve Wilson and the lower level of Illinois Center with express buses, and basically doesn't think it is worth it to serve Gladstone Park at all (56A, including the Devon branch, the latter of which certainly doesn't overlap Pace).

Riders could transfer from a 78 or 81 to a 146 or 148 at Marine Dr. or Clarendon. And, since 146 gets a fat line indicating more service, this just appears to be the transfer of money from one pot to another that I previously mentioned.

I'm surprised they're going with the assumption they won't have the 10, 170s and the other contracted routes they named in the decrowding initiative since they put out there that they were only renegotiating the terms for these routes and not directly eliminating them.

They did say either they renegotiate or they eliminate. While I still think this is a ploy, so were the 2007 Doomsday cuts, but both CTA and Pace held hearings on cuts (although part of the budget process that year). So, get the hearings out of the way and see if the other party coughs up. I have the feeling that at least with 10 and 33, no one will.

Putting together the map with the NBC5 story, basically leaves me with the conclusion that whatever the rationale, CTA doesn't find it worth it to serve Wilson and the lower level of Illinois Center with express buses, and basically doesn't think it is worth it to serve Gladstone Park at all (56A, including the Devon branch, the latter of which certainly doesn't overlap Pace).

Riders could transfer from a 78 or 81 to a 146 or 148 at Marine Dr. or Clarendon. And, since 146 gets a fat line indicating more service, this just appears to be the transfer of money from one pot to another that I previously mentioned.

They did say either they renegotiate or they eliminate. While I still think this is a ploy, so were the 2007 Doomsday cuts, but both CTA and Pace held hearings on cuts (although part of the budget process that year). So, get the hearings out of the way and see if the other party coughs up. I have the feeling that at least with 10 and 33, no one will.

With 33 I agree but the 10 I'm not so sure given that route had had buses overflowing this summer.

My gut reaction is that the 144/145/148 re-routing does not make sense. North of Irving Park, the lake shore and the red line are extremely close together. So a route that parallels the red line, running local only from Foster to Irving Park (with no transfer possibilities) but then has to sit in Michigan Ave traffic seems rather redundant. Also, the old routes at least connected inland neighborhoods and/or L/Metra stations allowing a wide variety of trip options.

But then thinking about my experience on the current 148, I think the current routes fail to provide acceptable alternative routes. For instance, from the Ravenswood Metra station to Michigan Ave can take up to a forty minutes because the bus waits until Irving Park before getting onto Lakeshore. Traffic, turns, and local trips slow this portion down to a crawl. From my experience, the busiest stops are those closest to Irving Park and very few people take it all the way to Wilson/Ravenswood. If connecting the Ravenswood Metra stop was the desired effect, the local portions should be before the transfer stops, making transferring as painless and quick as possible. So for instance, 145 could start at Western/Peterson or somewhere there abouts, augment 49 to Wilson and then run straight down Wilson to LSD. That means the Brown line station, Metra station, and red line station are all right at the end of the local route making it easier to transfer from the train to the bus to get to North Michigan Ave. Currently its just to darn slow.

In the end, the loss of Wilson service is not that big of deal since the route failed in providing any benefit for those riders at the end of the route. The real solution to all of this would be to get rid of all the Lakeshore express routes and fix the red line. Riders north of Belmont can take the train as its not that far of a walk but in its current dilapidated state, the buses become a good alternative.

The Red Line with it's slow zones and negotiating the massive crush crowds it gets on a given weekday trip downtown can take about as long as a bus so that's not really saying as much as it would if the Red Line actually shaved much difference from a trip on an express bus. As for no express service on Wilson being no big deal, I'm sure the folks who fill up a 148 bus before it gets to Clarendon would disagree.

With 33 I agree but the 10 I'm not so sure given that route had had buses overflowing this summer.

The issue is whether they can get more money from the Museum, which is supposed to be a nonprofit organization.

As I told someone at Ogilvie Station a long time ago, you can walk to State and take a #6 bus, or an electric train and get off at 57th. Still can.

The issue is whether they can get more money from the Museum, which is supposed to be a nonprofit organization.

As I told someone at Ogilvie Station a long time ago, you can walk to State and take a #6 bus, or an electric train and get off at 57th. Still can.

Or walk to Union and catch the 28 (X28)). Depending on how much more CTA wants, the Museum may fork over the cash. I think the University will solicit bids from private carriers and go with rhe cheapest. Goose Island businesses could also explore that option. seeing that there are nearby Pace options for the UPS 169, UPS will not cough up any more money and CTA will drop that route.

The Red Line with it's slow zones and negotiating the massive crush crowds it gets on a given weekday trip downtown can take about as long as a bus so that's not really saying as much as it would if the Red Line actually shaved much difference from a trip on an express bus. As for no express service on Wilson being no big deal, I'm sure the folks who fill up a 148 bus before it gets to Clarendon would disagree.

If the alternative warrants, the UP-N (if crowds would allow for it) might be a faster alternative downtown. You'd just have to work your way into the [North] loop afterwards.

Two years back, I had to work my way from Uptown (where I lived) to a meeting in Aurora because I didn't want to drive it. I had two options: 145/8 (which I would've wanted to take but was slow) or UP-N to Downtown. I took the 78 west knowing the time savings to get downtown would outweigh the >30 minute trek by the LSD express.

However my case isn't typical for most; folks on Wilson would prefer the bus over the Red because 145/8 service can be (as long as it's not later than 730) fast (as can 144 and 136). It's just a matter of preference and if you can know the difference.

By looking at the maps, however, the 145/8 cancellation still doesn't make sense (I understand it, I just don't like it). If they were to keep the Wilson corridor, assign the 148 designation, and allow full (Hell, I'd even take M-Sa) express zone service Irving to Delaware, it would be most helpful for commuters as a whole (and that's without making a transfer from a crosstown).

Other things I noticed:

- Both 111 and new 115 routes will now end at 119th and I-57 in that shopping area.

I'll make a play for 353: Express North of 130th (routing will be anyone's guess). Unless they intend to keep the routing (and stop pattern), if they're going to remove the service, it'll go to 94.

Of course, there's always Kensington.

Interesting that the #28 goes full time through Hyde Park. Maybe they feel those riders would be better served by the #15. Weird that they want to send the #120,#121's through Streeterville. I would think that would clash with the #157 or #125. Why do they need those routes serving that area in the rush now? The #148 routing in a way is smart, but it needs to go local to Belmont. Wilson riders can always ride the #78. There's no need for double service. Obviously, there worried about losing the heavy ridership between Lawrence and Foster on Marine Dr., which can be busy at the right time. As far as buses, looks like Kedzie's going to lose some artics or there going to be transfered to local service.

Interesting that the #28 goes full time through Hyde Park. Maybe they feel those riders would be better served by the #15. Weird that they want to send the #120,#121's through Streeterville. I would think that would clash with the #157 or #125. Why do they need those routes serving that area in the rush now? The #148 routing in a way is smart, but it needs to go local to Belmont. Wilson riders can always ride the #78. There's no need for double service. Obviously, there worried about losing the heavy ridership between Lawrence and Foster on Marine Dr., which can be busy at the right time. As far as buses, looks like Kedzie's going to lose some artics or there going to be transfered to local service.

I think by sending the 120/121 through Streeterville, they are trying to capture the train station.crowd. Currently Free Enterprise contracts with Northwestern University to run the train stations shuttle. I don't know the length or terms of that contract, but it seems like CTA could be jockeying for position to get that crowd.

If the alternative warrants, the UP-N (if crowds would allow for it) might be a faster alternative downtown. You'd just have to work your way into the [North] loop afterwards.

It apparently was during 3 track and still is, but is supposed to be under construction for the next 8 years.

... Weird that they want to send the #120,#121's through Streeterville. I would think that would clash with the #157 or #125. Why do they need those routes serving that area in the rush now?

If you look at the map, it is not the same loop in Streeterville, but more closely confined to the area around Northwest Memorial/Lurie Children's Hospitals, Northwestern Law School, and the American Bar Center. It does not go north of Chicago Ave., while the main loop for 157 (Chestnut-Lake Shore) is north of at least Ohio.

What might be the more interesting question is why they implied in the presentation that it was an alternative to the Illinois Center service, but I guess I erred in making that inference.

The #148 routing in a way is smart, but it needs to go local to Belmont .... Obviously, there worried about losing the heavy ridership between Lawrence and Foster on Marine Dr., which can be busy at the right time. As far as buses, looks like Kedzie's going to lose some artics or there going to be transfered to local service.

That goes back to my comments earlier on that the main goal of the N LSD restructuring was to divide the ridership north to south, the boundaries essentially being Foster (147 unchanged), Irving Park, Belmont, and Fullerton. That's preserved to the extent that 148 goes express at Irving Park. Other than demand on Clarendon, if they were going to undo the restructuring to the extent I first thought, they could go back to just running 146.

Since 146 is being beefed up, the bus shuffling question is whether it becomes pure NP by getting most of the buses now assigned to 145. As far as deadheading is concerned, it didn't seem to make much sense to have routes ending at Wilson-Ravenswood then going back to K. With the new 148, that question depends on whether the terminal is considered Marine Dr.-Foster or Michigan-Congress.

True but if the issue is to take some pressure off overloaded routes like the 6 as the CTA claims with this whole initiative, the aim should be doing what they can to hold whatever routes are helping the 6 out in whatever way they are helping the 6 not putting the pressure back on or increasing it. And with December 16th being in the midst of the holiday scheduling of the 10, they are going to need that route to help take up some of those crush crowds. Don't misunderstand, I agree with you this is a ploy to get money out of the Museum. The larger point is they shouldn't even have the 10 on this list of restructurings in any shape or form since that route falls into the category of if it's been working for you and not broke, don't try to fix it. Just leave well enough alone.

,,, if it's been working for you and not broke, don't try to fix it. Just leave well enough alone.

Since CTA is always broke in the financial sense, that justifies anything. Also, since 2005, CTA has had a pattern of suggesting meataxe solutions.

They might say that it gets a reprieve until the end of the year, but essentially how CTA has set it up is if this isn't changed, you riders on 3 and 4 get the shaft.

I'll make a play for 353: Express North of 130th (routing will be anyone's guess). Unless they intend to keep the routing (and stop pattern), if they're going to remove the service, it'll go to 94.

Of course, there's always Kensington.

I think 353 stays as is. I believe Pace should wait and see how this plays out. Remember this new 111 routing is an experiment. Besides that, the experiment runs right into the Dan Ryan Red Line shutdown next year. Also Pace does have a far south side ridership that travels to the south burbs. Besides that, routing 353 via 95th, Bishop Ford &130th wastes fuel, and in rush periods, saves no time.

I agree with you on the 148 only up to running local to Belmont. That's why there's a 146 still. There's also the 135 for that matter. As far as the whole 'oh the Wilson riders can always take the 78' bandwagon, that would only work smoothly during the week if not for the fact that the 148 as it's currently routed gets pretty full with standing room only before arriving to Clarendon. Plus the moment you start adding transfers on riders, you're now potentially adding on to their travel times because they then have to take into account the intervals of the extra bus or train as well as what typ of crushloads they have to account for that also adds in on time traveled from loading and offloading those passenger crowds.

Well, I decided to check back with the Lakeview Chamber of Commerce and the petition to save the #11 Lincoln Bus(I linked the petition to this topic here). The goal was to reach 1,000 signatures and they currently have 1,205.... so we definately did our part to present a strong case to the CTA to keep this bus route, and it's amazing how often I see "Jewel" and "Grocery store" in the signatures, which tells me that the store I work at is one of the main hubs of the area that would be directly affected by the loss of this route so much so that our own Store Director went to a meeting with the 47th Ward Alderman to discuss this service cut. The CTA would have to be pretty cruel to cut a much need service like the #11 is between Fullerton and Western.

• Upvote 4

I think 353 stays as is. I believe Pace should wait and see how this plays out. Remember this new 111 routing is an experiment. Besides that, the experiment runs right into the Dan Ryan Red Line shutdown next year. Also Pace does have a far south side ridership that travels to the south burbs. Besides that, routing 353 via 95th, Bishop Ford &130th wastes fuel, and in rush periods, saves no time.

I won't repeat, but I will.

The issue is whether Pace maintains the 353 Riverdale trips, which barely touch Riverdale, or just runs 353 to River Oaks and Homewood.

... our own Store Director went to a meeting with the 47th Ward Alderman to discuss this service cut. ...

That's about the only thing that counts, as far as being effective politically. The question then becomes whether the alderman was convinced enough to try to exercise clout

Update: Looks like Emanuel and Claypool live in the 47th, too. Wonder if the alderman Pawar wants to take on the machine so soon after being elected.