CTA Service Adjustments

CURRENTZ_09

I talked to the 47th Ward office just now and explained how a lot of our customers rely on that #11 service, and basically the CTA is it's own entity. I don't know if there's a whole heck of a lot more that can be done at this point, but the Ward office is tied up with the CPS Strike right now, so their focus is there for the time being.

Also, its to be noted that this board meeting approved a ordinance to re-elect Terry Peterson as Chairman of the Chicago Transit Board, which i'm assumed the board passed 6-0, just like the de-crowding vote, which was 6-0

Busjack was right about Terry Peterson being a liar at the Sept 4 meeting.

I talked to the 47th Ward office just now and explained how a lot of our customers rely on that #11 service, and basically the CTA is it's own entity. I don't know if there's a whole heck of a lot more that can be done at this point, but the Ward office is tied up with the CPS Strike right now, so their focus is there for the time being.

I don't see why they can't use TIF funds to get it reinstated.

Looks like everyone wasted their time at the September 4th Meeting... CTA basically said "Drop Dead" to the voices of the people... all changes are approved and will go into affect December 16th, 2012.

I had posted the news, but deleted those posts when I saw the others already had it.

However, it sure shows that this post was wrong.

It looks like the Board made up its mind before Sept 4 meeting.

The board doesn't have a mind.

I had pointed out when this was first posted that thus wasn't a sincere restructuring, but just going through the legal formalities, given the compressed time line.

At least in the old days of 2005-2007, Carole Brown gave the illusion of being responsive by blogging (note I used the term illusion) and several governor's appointees did question staff and make statements to the papers. Now the board consists of people who do not meet legal qualifications and don't exercise any oversight. Apparently they don't replace the batteries in their hearing aids, either. Claypool doesn't even post a President's Report.

A fine model of governance, indeed.

The board doesn't have a mind.

I had pointed out when this was first posted that thus wasn't a sincere restructuring, but just going through the legal formalities, given the compressed time line.

At least in the old days of 2005-2007, Carole Brown gave the illusion of being responsive by blogging (note I used the term illusion) and several governor's appointees did question staff and make statements to the papers. Now the board consists of people who do not meet legal qualifications and don't exercise any oversight. Apparently they don't replace the batteries in their hearing aids, either. Claypool doesn't even post a President's Report.

A fine model of governance, indeed.

It looks like Claypool is a 190,000 dollar puppet for Emanuel.

Probably wasting even more time, but FWIW, I have E-Mailed the CTA explaining my disgust regarding the cut of the #11 Lincoln/Sedgwick between Fullerton and Western and have told them how my Store Director had a meeting at the 47th Ward Office to discuss this bus service loss and how it was viatle to our business. I gave them both Store Managers names and told them to call them at the store to understand the importance of losing this route would be to not just us, but to many in the affected area of Western and Fullerton. The Irving Park and Montrose Brown Line stops are about 5-6 blocks from our store. If the customers could get a bus to take them to the front door of Mariano's or Aldi practically, don't you think they would just for the conveinence of a close bus service?

All I can say is the CTA board has once again shown themselves to be a disgrace. And it's interesting that they can rush out details of this plan, only give the affected customers a couple weeks time to mull over how this affects them, give this unanimous vote to approve this garbage in light of the backlash they got at the Sept. 4 public hearing, and post within hours of the vote that they did indeed approve this idiotic plan and yet the current CTA president can't even put forth an updated President's Report as Busjack noted more than once.

• Upvote 3

Looks like everyone wasted their time at the September 4th Meeting... CTA basically said "Drop Dead" to the voices of the people... all changes are approved and will go into affect December 16th, 2012.

Don't they always...just look at the 5000 seating fiasco. Public hearings are just a waste of time and for show...no sense having a law making it mandatory to have one.

• Upvote 1

Here's the Board Approved List of Routes to recieve Elimination and Increased Frequency. Please Note, that subsized routes are proposed to be eliminated as CTA is still in talks with the contractors. Also, Chicago Transit Board Chairman Terry Peterson was re-elected to another term with the CTA, so expect the "Shady" workings of the behind the scenes management to continue. It seems that all the changes that were proposed were approved (Just like the 1998 Booz-Allen Service Adjustments) and are to take effect Sunday December 16th, 2012. Please take time to review and comment on the list and Route 11 (Lincoln-Sedgwick) riders, don't give up hope just yet. The CTA is still in talks with companies that provide subsized service and if any of those routes fold (or many if riders hope fold), their may still be chance for the Route 11, so don't give up. You still have between NOW and Friday December 14th, 2012 to save your route, because once a bus stop is gone, it may not return in the same form it left, so support your route TODAY. Also, i hope that Pace will pick up service patterns that the CTA has served for years (Routes 17 & 49A Rush Hour service) and continue those services to customers. As always, Happy Travels!!!!

CTA Service Adjustments Effective December 16th, 2012 Approved.pdf

Here's the Board Approved List of Routes to recieve Elimination and Increased Frequency. Please Note, that subsized routes are proposed to be eliminated as CTA is still in talks with the contractors. Also, Chicago Transit Board Chairman Terry Peterson was re-elected to another term with the CTA, so expect the "Shady" workings of the behind the scenes management to continue. It seems that all the changes that were proposed were approved (Just like the 1998 Booz-Allen Service Adjustments) and are to take effect Sunday December 16th, 2012. Please take time to review and comment on the list and Route 11 (Lincoln-Sedgwick) riders, don't give up hope just yet. The CTA is still in talks with companies that provide subsized service and if any of those routes fold (or many if riders hope fold), their may still be chance for the Route 11, so don't give up. You still have between NOW and Friday December 14th, 2012 to save your route, because once a bus stop is gone, it may not return in the same form it left, so support your route TODAY. Also, i hope that Pace will pick up service patterns that the CTA has served for years (Routes 17 & 49A Rush Hour service) and continue those services to customers. As always, Happy Travels!!!!

Seriously, why don't you give it up? We noted before that the list was on the homepage and on the CTA site. I can even generate pdfs from Microsoft Office products.

Everyone here from Chicago is convinced that the game is over. You sure aren't going to change things in Milwaukee.

Even you lack foundation for your statement. CTA made it quite clear that if the contracted routes fold, that money goes into the routes that get enhanced serviice, not saving something they said would be killed.

Update: Read this Tribune story if you don't believe me (link on the home page). Sure the board members expressed angst, and Terry Peterson might have "heard" but he didn't listen.

• Upvote 3

This was to make it easier to read @Busjack, find a day job instead of trying to justify EVERYBODY'S statements. If you would post commentary instead of justifing everybody's statements, maybe we can get to the root of why they made this decision. Apparently the users (and guest) that have downloaded the list don't seem to have a problem with it except YOU. We are here to discuss transit issues, not YOUR PERSONAL LIKES & DISLIKES

The pdf is neither here nor there, but you seem unwilling to back up you Pollyanna vision of the CTA Board, which is certainly a transit issue.

And, as far as I am concerned, a dead one.

And I don't tell people what to do with respect to MCTS or Minnesota T, either.

The pdf is neither here nor there, but you seem unwilling to back up you Pollyanna vision of the CTA Board, which is certainly a transit issue.

And, as far as I am concerned, a dead one.

And I don't tell people what to do with respect to MCTS or Minnesota T, either.

But yet you took the time to download a copy....... hmmmmmmmmmm

@Busjack, im not going to entertain this notion of you being imperious. Next post should be about CTA, not your personal commentary

But yet you took the time to download a copy....... hmmmmmmmmmm

@Busjack, im not going to entertain this notion of you being imperious. Next post should be about CTA, not your personal commentary

And the post you just quoted was, i.e. the real view of the CTA Board.

Again, maybe you should read before clicking the Reply button.

I don't know if this has been posted or not, but the details have been released of the rail frequency improvements, and a few bus routes:

RAIL FREQUENCY IMPROVEMENTS

Weekday Peak:

Blue Line: AM Peak 3 added trips, PM Peak 1 added trip

Brown Line: AM Peak 2 added trips, PM Peak No change

Red Line: AM Peak 2 added trips, PM Peak 3 added trips

Purple Line: AM Peak 1 added trip, PM Peak 1 added trip

Orange Line: AM Peak 1 added trip, PM Peak 1 added trip

Green Line: AM Peak 1 added trip, PM Peak 1 added trip

Total: AM Peak 10 added trips, PM Peak 7 added trips

Weekday Off-Peak:

Red Line: Improve frequency from 8 ½ to 7 ½ minutes during midday and early evening

Brown Line: Improve frequency from 10 to 7 ½ minutes during the midday

Orange Line: Improve frequency from 10 to 8 ½ minutes during the midday

Weekends:

Red Line: Improve frequency from 7-10 to 5-7 ½ minutes on Saturday and run 8-car trains until 11 p.m. Sunday

Brown Line: Improve frequency from 10 to 7 ½ minutes on Saturday

Blue Line: Improve frequency from 7 ½ -12 to 5-7 ½ minutes on Saturday and improve frequency from 10-12 to 6-7 ½ minutes on Sunday

EXAMPLES OF CROWDING REDUCTION PLAN

Bus:

#8 Halsted, 8 a.m. – frequency improved from 5.5 to 4.5 minutes (18% more service); average loads reduced from 54 to 48 passengers

#79 79th, 3:30 p.m. -- from 4 to 3.5-4 minutes (+14%); from 53 to 47 passengers

#66 Chicago, 5:30 p.m. -- from 4.5 to 4 minutes (+13%); from 53 to 48 passengers

#77 Belmont, 7 a.m. – from 4.5 to 3.5 minutes (+27%); from 58 to 49 passengers

Rail:

Red Line, 4:30 p.m. – frequency improved from 3.7 to 3.2 minutes (16% more service); average loads reduced from 85 to 73 passengers

Blue Line, 7 a.m – from 4.5 to 4 minutes (+13%); from 83 to 74 passengers

Brown Line, 7 a.m. -- from 4.7 to 4 minutes (+18%); from 80 to 68 passengers

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/media_relations_documents/CTA_Info_on_Plan_to_Reduce_Crowding_-_Sep_4_2012.txt

It would be nice if CTA could simply release all of the info about changes frequency, added buses, passenger loads, etc. Toronto Transit Commission is able to do this with every service change, which happens something like 6 times a year up there.

If the state would pay up all the money it owns to the RTA,PACE,METRA,and the CTA .There wouldn't be a need to even think about Lincoln Ave or 144 or 145 getting cancel.

That actually is an issue. However, it is unclear whether the backlog motivated this, or just gets the statement in the monthly financial report that the cash on hand float is low.

Seriously, why don't you give it up? We noted before that the list was on the homepage and on the CTA site. I can even generate pdfs from Microsoft Office products.

Everyone here from Chicago is convinced that the game is over. You sure aren't going to change things in Milwaukee.

Even you lack foundation for your statement. CTA made it quite clear that if the contracted routes fold, that money goes into the routes that get enhanced serviice, not saving something they said would be killed.

Update: Read this Tribune story if you don't believe me (link on the home page). Sure the board members expressed angst, and Terry Peterson might have "heard" but he didn't listen.

If the guy wants to make up a separate pdf that gives some insight into the decrowding changes let him. Geez. No harm done. Apparently since he is getting some people viewing his file there are obviously some people who may have wanted to see the information all in one place without the official CTA double speak. Yeah it's a done deal with the changes but griping at someone who wanted to make his own summary of those changes is a tad bit touching into the silly realm and really doesn't change anything. Just post your disagreement and be done with it already. Are we here to discuss transit issues or go through an unnecessary back and forth about whether someone may or may not have a rosier than warranted view of the CTA board? I thought I would be seeing updates on different members views of the changes not another silly argument that should have been defused before it even had a chance to take root.

• Upvote 5

Yeah it's a done deal with the changes but griping at someone who wanted to make his own summary of those changes is a tad bit touching into the silly realm and really doesn't change anything. Just post your disagreement and be done with it already.

My disagreement was with his tone that if you just write, the bus routes can be saved. Since there was no substantiation to that point, it was foolish.

Mr. Milwaukee can post any verifiable source to substantiate that if he has it.

If I confused the issue with collateral matters, sorry. Otherwise, I am out of this.

If the guy wants to make up a separate pdf that gives some insight into the decrowding changes let him. Geez. No harm done. Apparently since he is getting some people viewing his file there are obviously some people who may have wanted to see the information all in one place without the official CTA double speak. Yeah it's a done deal with the changes but griping at someone who wanted to make his own summary of those changes is a tad bit touching into the silly realm and really doesn't change anything. Just post your disagreement and be done with it already. Are we here to discuss transit issues or go through an unnecessary back and forth about whether someone may or may not have a rosier than warranted view of the CTA board? I thought I would be seeing updates on different members views of the changes not another silly argument that should have been defused before it even had a chance to take root.

@jajuan Thank you!!!

I spoke to a Lincoln Bus Operator this afternoon and told him what was going on, and he said that the CTA is doing these cuts to get Springfield to give them more money. They don't care about the hardship, they just created a Doomsday so to speak, only thing calling it something that sounds more feasible to the Mayor and the CTA Board.

FWIW, I will continue to do anything I can to maybe get some political figure to force the CTA to cancel the cut of the #11 Lincoln/Sedgwick between Fullerton and Western. I will start with Ald. Ameya Palwar.

• Upvote 2

I spoke to a Lincoln Bus Operator this afternoon and told him what was going on, and he said that the CTA is doing these cuts to get Springfield to give them more money. They don't care about the hardship, they just created a Doomsday so to speak, only thing calling it something that sounds more feasible to the Mayor and the CTA Board.

The real story may have come out. I mentioned before (in connection with your gas tax suggestion) that this was supposedly a concession to that they couldn't get a "funding," I mean tax, increase through in the current climate, especially if Pace and Metra were not being squeezed.

Although one would have to wonder why they needed the fig leaf of Northwestern if that were the reason.

Now on this I can agree with you. I kept thinking to myself that there's got to be more to this than the official double talk of alleviating crowding, cutting back service duplication, and moving underutilized equipment to services where they're more needed. Outside of the 1, 17, 33, 56A, 64, 69, and 90N this list of changes made little sense. In regards to the 145/148 combination, those are hardly low ridership and the service duplication on Wilson was created when they routed the 78 on to Wilson starting at Clark instead of at Broadway as it previosly had been routed. Plus telling those riders to use the Red Line into downtown is only shifting those crowds onto one of the services they're claiming to ease the crowding pretty much defeating the purpose of adding trains on this line. With the 121, 123 rerouting and folding the 120 and 122 into those routes, all they're doing is trading Navy Pier duplication for creating duplication of the 157 which already handles service for the Streeterville area. Taking bus service off Lincoln south of the Western Brown Line station up to the Fullerton station is flawed because not only can the argument be made that again they're asking more people to get on a rail line that they claim to be alleviating the crush crowds, the 11 is not exactly a direct parallel of the Brown Line on that stretch where bus service is being cut despite their crossing at a few points. If anything the parallel and therefore duplication is the southernmost leg south of Sedwick and North Ave where they want to reinstitute the 37 Sedwick route. And probably the damning thing for them on this is the RedEye/Tribune transit reporters relaying that the problem isn't necessarily where equipment is deployed as much as doing something concrete to deal with the bus bunching problem and gaps in service that do more in creating the crowding issue than what routes have what and fixing the wrong side of the problem by beefing up some routes at the expense of other ones that don't fit the definition of what they claim to be fixing.