CTA Service Adjustments

CURRENTZ_09

Still going through. Had nothing to do with the RTA issue. Its just a plan to add service to other routes by cutting others

Aw crap. They could've at least reveiw some eliminations now i got to hurry up and finish completing every route for elimanation ( this is going to be a another big project) .

There might be a glimmer of hope to keep the #11 Lincoln/Sedgwick bus as is... we have flyers urging people to contact Forrest Claypool through CTA secretary Longhini or writing to Claypool and the CTA board at 567 W. Lake St. I had CBS 2 Chicago reporter Dana Kozlov in my line today, so I explained to her what the CTA is planning to do, and the fact it'll impact over 5,700 people and 1,000+ businesses as well as gave her a flyer. She said there might be a story here and said she'll make a few calls and see what she can do.

...I had CBS 2 Chicago reporter Dana Kozlov in my line today, so I explained to her what the CTA is planning to do, and the fact it'll impact over 5,700 people and 1,000+ businesses as well as gave her a flyer. She said there might be a story here and said she'll make a few calls and see what she can do.

Maybe she can get a story on ABC7 News, Chicago's #1 News. :P

I'm still convinced that, as also in the case of some transit advocacy group getting publicity over the seats after Claypool said he wasn't going to change them, this isn't going to change anyone's mind (if they have one) at the CTA.

And now the real link.

What's sort of interesting is that Pace is adding to 270 and 349, but for those of you who thought they were adding to 423 or rerouting 209, doesn't appear so

The other obvious question is how close the posted stops will be on 270. While the express runs will be history, I doubt that they will be more frequent than a quarter mile.

And now the real link.

What's sort of interesting is that Pace is adding to 270 and 349, but for those of you who thought they were adding to 423 or rerouting 209, doesn't appear so

The other obvious question is how close the posted stops will be on 270. While the express runs will be history, I doubt that they will be more frequent than a quarter mile.

With respect to the 353, the website doesn't mention specifically what the route adjustment would be, though it has been speculated the reroute would be via 95th, Stony Island/Biship Ford Fwy and 130th to Indiana, as to avoid duplication with the 111 King Dr/111th (and 34 S Michigan). Assuming that the service modification runs the above mentioned routing, will Pace run express between 95th and 130th/Indiana? Or will they run the posted stops every 1/2 mile along 95th and along 130th? The posted stops would be a good idea, though you coud also cry duplicity (100 Jeffery Manor Express during weekday rush).

With respect to the 353, the website doesn't mention specifically what the route adjustment would be, though it has been speculated the reroute would be via 95th, Stony Island/Biship Ford Fwy and 130th to Indiana, as to avoid duplication with the 111 King Dr/111th (and 34 S Michigan).

As the links in the Pace Responds to CTA Crowd Reduction Plan thread point out, that is the plan that Pace released to the news media, so it isn't speculation.

And now the real link.

One thing they could've done with the #270 is to continue running the express buses on 20 minute intervals, with the local bus running 20 minutes apart as well. (every other bus) (overall service now is every 10 minutes in the rush) #56A riders would have the same service interval they had, and #270 riders would benefit from an express bus still, although at 20 minute intervals. I'd try to work the buses going to Glenbrook Hospital, AON and #272 interlines as the express buses. I notice myself those buses tend to be late from all the traffic they encounter anyway. Most likely when they do the #56A it will just make them later. In response to the last paragraph, the stops will most likely stay the same along the #56A route. They'll most likely just cover up the #56A part of the sign and just continue to use them.

As the links in the Pace Responds to CTA Crowd Reduction Plan thread point out, that is the plan that Pace released to the news media, so it isn't speculation.

I saw that link. But again, On PACE'S WEBSITE, IT DOESN'T SPECIFY OR DETAIL THE PROPOSED NEW ROUTING. It also is CTA like to hold one meeting in the affected area, and then that hearing is on hallowe'en, when most people will be with their kids treat or tricking.

I saw that link. But again, On PACE'S WEBSITE, IT DOESN'T SPECIFY OR DETAIL THE PROPOSED NEW ROUTING. It also is CTA like to hold one meeting in the affected area, and then that hearing is on hallowe'en, when most people will be with their kids treat or tricking.

Go to Passenger Notice its there for 353

Go to Passenger Notice its there for 353

I did. On the Passenger Notice Page for the 353 is the following:

As a result of CTA service changes on CTA Route 111 Pullman/111th/115th, Pace is proposing a restructuring of the Chicago portion of Pace Route 353 95th - River Oaks/Homewood to reduce service duplication and to improve travel time between the south suburbs and the CTA Red Line 95th/Dan Ryan Station. Any person wishing to comment on the proposed restructuring of Route 353 may present views orally at any of the 13 budget public hearings that will be held throughout the region or by submitting written material on or before the last date of the hearings, which is Wednesday, October 31, 2012. Written comments may be submitted to Pace, Governmental Affairs, 550 West Algonquin Road, Arlington Heights, IL 60005 or you may enter comments on the Public Hearing Comments page.

Nowhere on this page nor the Pace & CTA Coordination Plan link on the Pace homepage says anything about 353 being roerouted VIA 95th, Stony/Bishop Ford and 130th. I'm not saying that's not the plan, I am saying that Pace hasn't put that specific plan on its website. It is as almost they know this will not go over well with the public and they are hiding something. The reroute is certainly not on the literature made available on Pace buses for the hearing other than what is quoted above. I don't know of any other time that Pace, or CTA for that matter propose a route change without detailing what the change would be, even before holding hearings. One news story on a TV/Radio station website does not pass that litmus test. If that is Pace's plan, that is okay, but put it on literature, put it on the website, so that those affected who choose to respond can respond accurately and accordingly. Has Rahm gotten to Pace too?

I did. On the Passenger Notice Page for the 353 is the following:

...I am saying that Pace hasn't put that specific plan on its website. It is as almost they know this will not go over well with the public and they are hiding something...

Regardless of whether a subsequent map will be posted, why wouldn't this go over? Pace has no responsibility to those living in the city north of 130th, especially if CTA is taking care of those on King Dr. on 111, and the others can ride 34. For those south of 130th, either they are satisfied that this is faster, or they aren't

Anyway, given Pace's past practice, there undoubtedly will be a map poster board at the hearing, which is its usual practice. It didn't post a map on its website prior to the Highland Park hearing, but one was there. So, now you know of an instance.

Give Pace some credit.At lease they are holding more then 1 hearing

Like someone saying that CTA was taking "input" by holding a hearing, the RTA Act (70 ILCS 3615/3A.10) requires that Pace hold a budget hearing in at least each county, and before each county board. It may be doing slightly more than this, but I don't give any transit authority credit for complying with the law, although I do give the CTA board demerits for not doing so.

As I previously mentioned, CTA and Pace combined service cuts with the budget hearings in 2010. At least Pace's cuts were not as draconian as proposed.

Regardless of whether a subsequent map will be posted, why wouldn't this go over? Pace has no responsibility to those living in the city north of 130th, especially if CTA is taking care of those on King Dr. on 111, and the others can ride 34. For those south of 130th, either they are satisfied that this is faster, or they aren't

Anyway, given Pace's past practice, there undoubtedly will be a map poster board at the hearing, which is its usual practice. It didn't post a map on its website prior to the Highland Park hearing, but one was there. So, now you know of an instance.

Pace DOES have a responsibility north of 130th, in particular those who board south of 95th, but travel beyond 130th as well as south suburbanites that travel into the city but alight between 130th and 95th. I would imagine that 353 has higher ridership than all of Highland Park.

Pace DOES have a responsibility north of 130th, in particular those who board south of 95th, but travel beyond 130th as well as south suburbanites that travel into the city but alight between 130th and 95th. I would imagine that 353 has higher ridership than all of Highland Park.

I don't see it. If someone is going between River Oaks and 113th, I guess they have to transfer to 34.

In that Pace has converted most city segments to Posted Stops Only every 1/2 mile, it doesn't recognize one. It thinks it can pick up some business on 270 and 349 because CTA is dropping the competition.

But, if somehow you are riding between South Holland and 106th, maybe you should attend the hearing even if it is the day before or Halloween. There is the choice of Homewood or Olive Harvey. As opposed to CTA, there is evidence that Pace listens somewhat.

I don't see it. If someone is going between River Oaks and 113th, I guess they have to transfer to 34.

I get it.

However, you are right, a transfer would have to be made at 130th for service to 113th. Otherwise, you'd have to backtrack to catch a local from the Red Line. As long as a transfer would have to be made at 130th/Indiana or 130/Daniel (or a deviation for the 34 to the Riverdale Terminal), then it should be alright.

Here's What Pace addressed about the December 16th, 2012 service adjustments on pacebus.com

Looking at that document, I'm very surprised CTA didn't eliminate 95W service. And of course, the situations remain with 21 Cermak being expanded into 322 Cermak route territory between 54th and Harlem, and 90 Harlem expanded into 307 Harlem route territory inbetween South Blvd. and Grand. I'm guessing the 21 and 90 situations won't change, since the 49A and 56A buses were weekday only CTA bus routes, while the former 2 were everyday routes.

Also, I love the idea that was mentioned earlier about artics possibly being used on the #77 and #81(and too bad Forest Glen doesn't have the space for artics). Those 2 routes are always heavily used, even into late evening/early overnight hours. I'd even argue that #81 could benefit from artics being placed into service during late evening/early overnight owl runs. Maybe North Park could send some of its artics out for occasional runs on the #77 and #81?

Also, I love the idea that was mentioned earlier about artics possibly being used on the #77 and #81(and too bad Forest Glen doesn't have the space for artics). Those 2 routes are always heavily used, even into late evening/early overnight hours. I'd even argue that #81 could benefit from artics being placed into service during late evening/early overnight owl runs. Maybe North Park could send some of its artics out for occasional runs on the #77 and #81?

I'm surprised they let the #156's pull in (empty) with their artic buses from Belmont/Halsted in the Pm. Many pass right by Belmont Red line with it's massive crowds. They could always run some of those pull ins to Kedzie (if they didn't want to mess with the L terminal) or the blue line. Many run out of service anyway to Western. The #77 ridership down there is unbelieveable. 3 or 4 buses can pull up at the same time pick up riders and all be packed with standing riders all the way to the rear of the bus.

I'm surprised they let the #156's pull in (empty) with their artic buses from Belmont/Halsted in the Pm. Many pass right by Belmont Red line with it's massive crowds. They could always run some of those pull ins to Kedzie (if they didn't want to mess with the L terminal) or the blue line. Many run out of service anyway to Western. The #77 ridership down there is unbelieveable. 3 or 4 buses can pull up at the same time pick up riders and all be packed with standing riders all the way to the rear of the bus.

Since you mean westbound,* I wonder if it has anything to do with the psuedo stink someone made about counting out of service mileage. Other people have raised questions (with regard to other routes**) why it seemed "more economical" to deadhead rather than serve passengers.

*As distinguished from some 156 buses that end at Sheridan-Belmont and then go back downtown via LSD instead of even going to Halsted.

**Such as canceling 192 but then having to deadhead to 103rd, although it appears that CTA already had a deal on the table to extend the U of C contract with a subsidy increase. So we are back to the topic.

What i find interesting is the CTA isn't promoteing 48 as a alternative for 49a considering it does to the Plaza.

Since it is promoting that it is diverting the business to Pace, doesn't make much difference. There is very little overlap between 48 and 349, basically limited to the forest preserve south of 87th, where I bet nobody boards or exits.