CTA Service Adjustments

CURRENTZ_09

I was traveling in my neighborhood around Harlem/Higgins. As I drove up Harlem ave. between Higgins and Devon ave. NB all the CTA bus stops have been removed and replaced by Pace route #423 bus stop signs. The SB signs have not yet been changed. Between Avondale ave. and Higgins still display the old CTA signs with 90N/88/423. They will probably just "white out" the 90N portion so it just displays Routes #88/423 rather than just replace it with an all new sign.

Turns out what's past is prologue, and I end up correct.

Signs are all replaced on Harlem. South of Avondale, SB are 2 panel CTA 88/423 signs. NB are all Pace 423 signs.

Milwaukee's signs were also replaced north of Bryn Mawr with Pace 270 signs, which appear about 1/4 mile apart.

There will be a lot of bus routes affected directly and indirectly by the Red Line Shutdown coming out of 4 garages.

K Kedzie: 1, 21, 35, 39 and Cermak/Chinatown Shuttle.

6 74th St Garage: 8, 9/N9, 44, 47, 48, 51, 55/N55, 59, 63/N63, 67, 75

7 77th Garage: 2, 3, 4/N4, 8A, 24, 29, 30, 43, 71, 79/N79, 87/N87

1 103rd St Garage: N5, 6, 14, 26, 28, 29, 30, 34/N34, 71, 95E, 95W, 100, 103, 106, 108, 111, 112, 115, 119

1/6/7 will provide Local and Express Shuttles from 95th/87th/79th/69th to 63rd St and Garfield Green/Red Station.

Pace South/Southwest is discussing plans to take riders to either 95th to connect to the shuttles, Harvey/Blue Island Metra Stations or Express to downtown Chicago.

We have 6 month's, so the guessing game will continue until another set of community meetings come along, but December 3rd IS THE DATE for the revealing of the Reduction Plan

We have 6 month's, so the guessing game will continue until another set of community meetings come along, but December 3rd IS THE DATE for the revealing of the Reduction Plan

Right. We won't know for sure what's to come on that front six months ahead of time beyond speculation. And I don't think it's been established just yet that Kedzie also gets the 1 from 77th. We only had someone mention that 35 and 39 go there after 74 gets full assignment of 8 and 62.

Signs are all replaced on Harlem. South of Avondale, SB are 2 panel CTA 88/423 signs. NB are all Pace 423 signs.

Milwaukee's signs were also replaced north of Bryn Mawr with Pace 270 signs, which appear about 1/4 mile apart.

So your saying they removed some stops on Milwaukee and doubled the space between them?

So your saying they removed some stops on Milwaukee and doubled the space between them?

More than likely the case, although it is now hard to tell what is not there.

I had the feeling that the stops were more spread out, so checked my trip odometer, and it came up with .5, .7, .0, .2.... Also, it appeared that there was one stop between traffic lights at major streets (as well as at major streets like Ardmore/Austin and Devon), although with Milwaukee being diagonal, the interval is irregular.

Also, I had said earlier that it seemed unlikely that Pace would be spreading out the stops in Niles when it went to Posted Stops Only and run completely local south of Devon.

I drove down Milwaukee. All the bus stop signs have been replaced with Pace #270 signs.

I drove down Milwaukee. All the bus stop signs have been replaced with Pace #270 signs.

As of yesterday, that has to be qualified by "north of Bryn Mawr."

South of there, there are some multipanel signs (56A/85/85A/225/226) with 56A still at the top.

Among some of the odder changes for the pick:

√ North Park will no longer operate the 82 to 31st/Central Park. School runs only to Congress/Homan.

√ 35 and 39 went to Kedzie. Kedzie lost the 62 to 74th.

√ Kedzie lost the 8 to 77th.

√ School trippers on the 56 Milwaukee will be operated by North Park.

√ Certain AM rush trips on the 66 will be operated by Kedzie.

√ Certain AM rush trips on the 151 will be operated by Chicago and no they arent starting out on the 76.

√ North Park will operate 97 and 201 only as well as 206 school runs. Forest Glen assumes full operation of the 205 and regular 206 trips.

Edited by cta_44499_FG
  • Upvote 3

Back to the good old days as someone else predicted. Wonder if this cuts back on the NB trips to UIC-Blue Line?

√ Certain AM rush trips will be operated by Chicago and no they arent starting out on the 76.

Seems like you are missing something here.

√ North Park will operate 97 and 201 only as well as 206 school runs. Forest Glen assumes full operation of the 205 and regular 206 trips.

If CTA is going for efficiency, nothing like increasing the deadhead (unless it is assumed that the 205 terminal is Skokie Courthouse). With reference to "school runs," I assume you mean something like the the extra trip off the "every half hour" schedule, since the main purpose of 206 is to serve ETHS, but FG had that route before. I still contend that if CTA were interested in regional cooperation, it would turn Evanston and Skokie over to Pace.

I'm still trying to figure out the duplicate service of 108 and 352.

Obviously CTA ain't saying nothing.

However, given that Pace said that ridership numbers on 49A indicated that Pace should add service to 349, I have the feeling that the ridership numbers on 108 must be really high.* Also, since Pace went to Posted Stops only every 1/2 mile on 352,** and 352 is the most packed route on the Pace system (see these year old numbers), Pace might have just told CTA "we can't handle it." Compare that with the statements in the Pace Minutes that the additional service on 270, 317, and 349 should pay for itself, while routes such as 64 and 90N don't have enough CTA ridership for Pace to do anything.

______

*2200 rush hour only; compared to 3900 all day on 103, according to the Oct. Ridership Report, even though 108 also overlaps 8A.

**Thereby reducing the overlap. I suppose you could argue that 54B shouldn't run south of Midway, but the Pace routes south of there to Ford City have also been restricted to a similar Posted Stops Only pattern.

I'm still trying to figure out the #56 school runs going to NP. I wonder why they feel that would be better served by them. (artics?) Would they really try to run artics on the #56? As far as the Chicago comment sounds like he's saying Chicago may do some #77's. At least it would get them closer to artics. (They recently upped the frequency there from 7 to 4 minutes in the rush)

√ North Park will no longer operate the 82 to 31st/Central Park. School runs only to Congress/Homan.

√ Certain AM rush trips will be operated by Chicago and no they arent starting out on the 76.

I thought the 8 was going to 74th but it makes sense to put it at 77th :lol:

√ Certain AM rush trips on the 151 will be operated by Chicago and no they aren't starting out on the 76.

Aside from Chicago running certain AM rush trips on the 151, what about the 3 King Drive - North /La Salle trips and 26 South Shore Express trips help with the 134/143/151 AM trips as well?

66 Chicago will benefit from Kedzie AM TRIPS

8 Halsted back to 77th, pretty good, will 8 end at 79 terminal or go to 79th/Perry?

Will NP retain 100 Artics or will the move around with the 4300s coming on board to either 77th or 103rd?

Aside from Chicago running certain AM rush trips on the 151, what about the 3 King Drive - North /La Salle trips and 26 South Shore Express trips help with the 134/143/151 AM trips as well?

8 Halsted back to 77th, pretty good, will 8 end at 79 terminal or go to 79th/Perry?

Will NP retain 100 Artics or will the move around with the 4300s coming on board to either 77th or 103rd?

Ummm why would 8 need to terminate at 79th/Perry just because it goes to 77th? The garage is only 3/4 of a mile from the 79th/Halsted terminal so the deadhead isn't too mych of an issue to extend to Perry. Besides it wouldn't be a budget neutral change as CTA is touting this "de-crowding" plan to be.

Plus the onboard announcements have begun today on the routes getting a service change December 16th. The one on route 11 buses sound off about every mile. Haven't seen any bus stop signs change on this route yet.

(1) correct me if I'm wrong, but the 3 to North hasn't been on the public timetable in at least 2-3 years. I'd assume any 26 spillovers are minimal and won't impact the public timetable (may cause some weird interlining out of 103rd).

(2) We'll see. I would've like to see more short-turns out of Pulaski, but Kedzie short-turns would work as well (as long as they don't bunch up).

(3) Assume deadheads from the garage (although it would make sense for 8/8A's to meet in the same location, I've a feeling that would be a very long mile crawl on 79th, so I'd doubt it).

(4) Wait until we actually get all 100 buses on the property. 16% of the delivery is no cause for speculation for garage assignments yet.

Ummm why would 8 need to terminate at 79th/Perry just because it goes to 77th? The garage is only 3/4 of a mile from the 79th/Halsted terminal so the deadhead isn't too mych of an issue to extend to Perry. Besides it wouldn't be a budget neutral change as CTA is touting this "de-crowding" plan to be.

I was going to say about the same.

The 79/Perry loop is supposed to feed the Red Line (8A), but no reason for 8 to do so, especially if the Red Line is supposed to be shut down.

I was going to say about the same.

The 79/Perry loop is supposed to feed the Red Line (8A), but no reason for 8 to do so, especially if the Red Line is supposed to be shut down.

Agreed. Plus, it'd make little sense to tack on an extra five blocks on 79th (when the route is long enough as it is).

Detailed information about the Reduction Plan is uploaded

I can hardly wait!!! T-minus 13 days and counting until we lose a truckload of valued customers to Mariano's and Aldi's, which have curbside bus service still after #11 Lincoln/Sedgwick is cut between Western and Fullerton. Thank you CTA!!! I hope you get a load of something I can't mention on here in your stockings this Christmas!!! :angry:

Thats old news.

Where is the new schudle

The point made in his post is that the CTA is giving exact and solid details beyond just the vague overviews of how they're changing service. For example, the new version of the 148 will operate on State south of Wacker during the AM rush as the 144 currently does. That's something they didn't tell the public before. One other thing of note is that they now make no mention of discontinuing the contract/private routes. They only list the 48 routes that get bumped up service (though still with no details of how beyond decreasing intervals) and more specific details on the regular routes that are completely eliminated or get split into two routes and those that get rerouted to compensate partially for what's eliminated.

Thats old news.

Where is the new schudle

In this case mkohut is correct.

Maybe someone ought to talk to Brian Steele about where are the schedules, as nothing was revealed here. The stuff under the Service Changes effective Dec. 16 anchor is preexisting info, except CTA acknowledges a brochure. For routes assumed by Pace, we knew that Pace had prepared a brochure. Maybe new is that on the alternate routes, CTA says "Service Changes brochure & detailed timetables are coming soon."

In this case mkohut is correct.

Someone promised the new schedules Dec. 3. Maybe he ought to talk to Brian Steele about them. The stuff under the Service Changes effective Dec. 16 anchor is preexisting info (except CTA acknowledges a brochure, which Pace said it was presenting).

.Note: I estimated that an announcement would have been made Dec. 3, which i correct, based on how many weeks we had left until the plan came into action & the fact that no update announcement had be made since the community meetings. Yes most plans will stick including the unpopular split of the 11, but remember subsided routes were up too. The point of the post was to tell observers that CTA detailed the plan as of December 3.

#Thank you