CTA Service Adjustments

CURRENTZ_09

Effective December 16 Kedzie is losing 8 Halsted and 62 Archer is go to 74th Street and K is getting 35 35th and 39 Pershing and #37 Sedgwick.

So back to no more having a route that operates south of 63rd Street. I wonder if 74th has improved in the years since 2008 to have the 8 Halsted full time again and operate it on time as well as how it will do having the 62 full time. Plus 35 and 39 have pretty bad headways in off peak hours, especially the 39. This should be interesting as far as Kedzie's work force goes.

I'm wondering if the CTA going to stay with #35 31st/35th route to go to Cicero/24th terminal next year. I've seen few riders rode on this bus heading to Cicero Avenue.

Most likely, even though the ridership levels are low, the access to jobs & employment along Cicero will justify for another 6 month experiment trial on this extension.

I'm wondering if the CTA going to stay with #35 31st/35th route to go to Cicero/24th terminal next year. I've seen few riders rode on this bus heading to Cicero Avenue.

Only the results of the six month initial trial will tell. Plus it gets tricky when you consider ridership close to a route's terminus can be light even on a more heavier route.

Only the results of the six month initial trial will tell. Plus it gets tricky when you consider ridership close to a route's terminus can be light even on a more heavier route.

I agree on that, but it's an service area that needs to be served, especially by the number of businesses established along that segment & the neighboring neighborhood that it serves

I agree on that, but it's an service area that needs to be served, especially by the number of businesses established along that segment & the neighboring neighborhood that it serves

Sure but the question is whether CTA determines it's an area that warrants service stays via 31st during the day and early evening hours since they can easily say the area is served by 54 and 54B on Cicero, 60 on 26th Street, 53 and 53A on Pulaski and 82 along Central Park and Lawndale as well as 31st up to a half block past Pulaski at Komensky during late evening when the 35 doesn't operate through there.

Sure but the question is whether CTA determines it's an area that warrants service stays via 31st during the day and early evening hours since they can easily say the area is served by 54 and 54B on Cicero, 60 on 26th Street, 53 and 53A on Pulaski and 82 along Central Park and Lawndale as well as 31st up to a half block past Pulaski at Komensky during late evening when the 35 doesn't operate through there.

But that direct service along 35th east to Cicero makes it an attractive option instead of making lengthy transit connections

• Upvote 1

The real answer is whether they still have the matching funds for the JARC grant.

But that direct service along 35th east to Cicero makes it an attractive option instead of making lengthy transit connections

Maybe but again it still has to pass muster with the CTA Board such as it is in addition to the good point Busjack makes that they have the operating funds to match the initial JARC grant that got the extension going. And past history along with what's coming December 16th already shows that the CTA board could care less about what a given passenger thinks is attractive if they make the determination that other routes or one of the rail routes in the system can provide the service within a particular area instead. Case in point, the riders who may work, shop or do other business at one of the many businesses along Lincoln Avenue between the Western Brown Line and the Fullerton Red/Brown/Purple Line stations having their bus service directly to those businesses' front step relatively speaking be replaced by up to half mile trips to or from the nearest Brown Line station because the CTA Board and Claypool decided it was more "efficient" that the 11 be cut south of the Western Brown station and the 37 be resurrected south of Fullerton with the Brown Line handling what's in between. Obviously those businesses and their workers and customers think keeping a bus directly at their front door is more attractive but CTA management thinks it's better to let the Brown Line, which isn't even a direct parallel, handle the service instead.

Personally I don't see this experiment lasting long, especially with the #60 1/2 mile to the north and 53/53A on 31st between Pulaski and Komensky.

It is possible the entire route could be shifted to Kedzie considering the garage is on Kedzie and is a straight shot. The frequency is too low (12 minutes rush and 20 minutes off peak) now to justify a two garage system for this route.

Effective December 16 Kedzie is losing 8 Halsted and 62 Archer is go to 74th Street and K is getting 35 35th and 39 Pershing and #37 Sedgwick.

I actually thought this would happen when Archer closed, but it is happening. I don't understand why 77th doesn't take over the 8, since it is losing 2 routes, unless the buses from those 2 routes are going to go on the higher frequency routes (3,4,79,87), which would add about 3 buses per route. I would imagine that 62 would have to have some interlining to make this work from a deadheading standpoint. I would almost rather see this route operate out of 77th, at least the deadhead from Archer/Harlem would be easier via the Stevenson and Dan Ryan Expressways. Midroute relief points for ARcher are going to be a challenge out of either garage, unless drivers take lunches at end of route and interline.

I actually thought this would happen when Archer closed, but it is happening. I don't understand why 77th doesn't take over the 8, since it is losing 2 routes, unless the buses from those 2 routes are going to go on the higher frequency routes (3,4,79,87), which would add about 3 buses per route. I would imagine that 62 would have to have some interlining to make this work from a deadheading standpoint. I would almost rather see this route operate out of 77th, at least the deadhead from Archer/Harlem would be easier via the Stevenson and Dan Ryan Expressways. Midroute relief points for ARcher are going to be a challenge out of either garage, unless drivers take lunches at end of route and interline.

Heck, I missed the entire conversation until now.

77 originally had 8, and is closest to the terminal, but there was still the unexplained "we have to get everything over 250 buses out of 77th" a couple of years ago. In the near term, 77th is the logical place for the Red Line shuttles.

At least 35 to K makes sense in that the long deadhead from 77th to 36th and Kedzie has been noted, and obviously 36th and Kedzie is a relief point. I don't know about the others posted by ArcherRider.

So back to no more having a route that operates south of 63rd Street. I wonder if 74th has improved in the years since 2008 to have the 8 Halsted full time again and operate it on time as well as how it will do having the 62 full time. Plus 35 and 39 have pretty bad headways in off peak hours, especially the 39. This should be interesting as far as Kedzie's work force goes.

74 is going to be really full with all 8 and 62 runs. I am surprised that 77th would do a split with those routes or Split 4 and 87 with 103rd to make an easier switch. The 62 relief point would be Archer/Western or HAlsted/Orange Line station?...Im sure there will be other switches as well.

62 Archer could interline with 74th routes a lot easier than 77th..as of 12/16/12 it will not cross 77th routes outside of State/Archer...They won't extend 79th from Ford city City to MDW just to justify an interline..Cicero traffic is just plain awful esp between Marquette and 73rd ST. It may go back to Kedzie Split within 3-6 months.

62 Archer could interline with 74th routes a lot easier than 77th..as of 12/16/12 it will not cross 77th routes outside of State/Archer...They won't extend 79th from Ford city City to MDW just to justify an interline..Cicero traffic is just plain awful esp between Marquette and 73rd ST. It may go back to Kedzie Split within 3-6 months.

The 62 wouldn't need to interline if it operated out of 77th. The Cermak Chinatown would be the relief point, outside the Red Line shutdown, that is. Midroute reliefs from 74th garage would be very tough, eben at Western or Ashland Orange Line. Those are long rides. That is why I think interlining for lunches and pull INS have to happen with 74th as the garage for Archer.

The 62 wouldn't need to interline if it operated out of 77th. The Cermak Chinatown would be the relief point, outside the Red Line shutdown, that is. Midroute reliefs from 74th garage would be very tough, eben at Western or Ashland Orange Line. Those are long rides. That is why I think interlining for lunches and pull INS have to happen with 74th as the garage for Archer.

The run number groups suggest an interline with 47. Either route intersects Ashland.

So it means that 77th is transferring the Optima 500s to Kedzie?

My guess is no. If anything, someone should start an Optima 500 Retirement Thread. Considering the Decrowding cuts to 90 N,64, 69, 170, 171, 172 which are all Optima operated routes, there aren't very many routes left that could use them Route 43 will still use them and it will still operate out of 77th. Besides, Kedzie has no room now, not even for an Optima.

I wonder if thr Optimas have.an FTA service life of 10.years. If so, they will ne ready to retire next year.

Not mentioned is the garage for the new 148. Though most of us, me included, assumed NP would take over this route, I infer from your post that it is staying at K, and NP will use the buses from the old 144 to beef up service on the 146. The question is will NP swap some of its 40 ft buses for K artics, or willNP just rely on some of the new delivery artics?

My guess is no. If anything, someone should start an Optima 500 Retirement Thread. Considering the Decrowding cuts to 90 N,64, 69, 170, 171, 172 which are all Optima operated routes, there aren't very many routes left that could use them Route 43 will still use them and it will still operate out of 77th. Besides, Kedzie has no room now, not even for an Optima.

I wonder if thr Optimas have.an FTA service life of 10.years. If so, they will ne ready to retire next year.

They can be use on 68,85A,81W,88,or any Evanston Route

Not mentioned is the garage for the new 148. Though most of us, me included, assumed NP would take over this route, I infer from your post that it is staying at K, and NP will use the buses from the old 144 to beef up service on the 146. The question is will NP swap some of its 40 ft buses for K artics, or willNP just rely on some of the new delivery artics?

Besides that, it's not established that the new 148 will remain artic heavy in the afternoon rush periods. Plus they mentioned the 146 was getting beefed up from the 145 being gone not 144, while 148 gets service beefed up from 144 being gone which brings in the new routing. So that would lean more toward 146 having artics added not more 40 foot buses while 148 gets 40 footers since 144 is run with 40 footers and and assuming they keep the equipment used in line with what they advertised with what routes get service added from a particular route being gone. If one stayed with that direction of thinking and inferences of equipment used, you could see the arguments that said it's possible for Kedzie to share 146 while 148 went solely to North Park.

So it means that 77th is transferring the Optima 500s to Kedzie?

I would think the 103rd Optimas would go somewhere with no U of C service. Probably 74th would be a good choice for the #55A, #55N, #63W, #165 but currently some of those interline with the eastern service. (#59, #55, #63) They have some of the same issues like the #90N does up north, because it interlines most of the time. It may have been smarter to run the #39 and #35 through 74th, this way they could've had more routes to run Optimas on. For some reason Optimas at Kedzie seem out of place.