CTA Service Adjustments

CURRENTZ_09

I would imagine the idea was/is to keep all traffic within the terminal. I can't think of anywhere else in the system a route stops exclusively outside the terminal, can any of you?

Also, sometimes they use the north side of the 95th St. bridge as a staging area.

I would imagine the idea was/is to keep all traffic within the terminal. I can't think of anywhere else in the system a route stops exclusively outside the terminal, can any of you?

Eastbound #21 buses don't pull into the 54th terminal (at least, they didn't a few years ago).

Western Brown Line has the #49B and northbound #11 in the terminal, and all other buses are outside.

#56 buses don't use Logan Square terminal.

Can't think of any others right now, but there may be one or two. I don't remember offhand whether the #62 in both directions pulls into Halsted Orange or not.

Eastbound #21 buses don't pull into the 54th terminal (at least, they didn't a few years ago).

Western Brown Line has the #49B and northbound #11 in the terminal, and all other buses are outside.

Can't think of any others right now, but there may be one or two. I don't remember offhand whether the #62 in both directions pulls into Halsted Orange or not.

Basically, we're back to the analogy argument at the moment, which generally doesn't prove anything. Pace buses interlined on 230-326 don't stay out of the Rosemont terminal, either. There are 85N, 85S, and 85A lanes at Jefferson Park.

CTA said that they were cutting back the 95W bus line to reallocate money. They have made it the end of the discussion.

Well, I wish I could bring news up regarding any conversation with Ald. Palwar with the #11 Lincoln/Sedgwick bus route termination, but his office is tied up with the CPS Strike, which is entering it's second week now. I have to sit on any political action until the strike is resolved as all political personell seem to be occupied on this.

From what I see only the southbound 62 buses pull into the Halsted Orange. It's the number 8 that pulls into that terminal in both directions and of course it serves as the north terminus for the 44. Originally only the southbound 9 pulled into the Ashland Orange with the northbound buses staying on Ashland to name another terminal that at one time had a route that didn't pull directly in at least one direction, but at least a few years ago anyway the 9 in both directions has been pulling into that terminal. Maybe that change came about when the 31, which terminated on its west end at that station, was eliminated and in turn would leave room for both directions of the 9 to pull into the terminal at the station.

Well, from what Ald. Pawar's staff said, they are going to try to continue to convince the CTA the importance of the #11 Lincoln/Sedgwick route as is, not eliminated between Fullerton and Western. They suggest we do the same, so I guess that means go about with more petitions with signatures, I guess... I don't know what more can be done otherwise. They suggested contacting the CTA, but all I'll get there is the automated B.S replies, unless there is an actual caring human being in that company who'll listen and consider the position of the businesses in the Northcenter, Lincoln Square areas. I can try Sen. Cullerton, but his office will probably suggest about the same.

Well, from what Ald. Pawar's staff said, they are going to try to continue to convince the CTA the importance of the #11 Lincoln/Sedgwick route as is, not eliminated between Fullerton and Western. They suggest we do the same, so I guess that means go about with more petitions with signatures, I guess... I don't know what more can be done ...

In short they don't know what to do or don't have the clout to do it, so they sent you back on your own, Don Quixote.

Let just say this as a transit enthusiast /garage janitor pointing out the obvious

If the 11 was split, North Park would have double work for 2 routes that are basically duplicated

If the 145 got eliminated this would mean that the 143,144,148 would tether between routes which leaves the 146,147,151 with increased service (which makes no sense when the 148 coulded have got elimanated to compensate

Now THE BIG ONE TO ME

If the x28 got elimanated, sending the 28 downtown during rush hour would not only delay service but 103rd has a hard enough time keeping up with the 28,29,30* (I think its shared with 77th ?) But it would leave 103rd short equipment wise to fillservice on stony island. PLUS to add insult to injury, splitting the 111th /115th routes makes no sense cause the route itself is fine right now.

Now speaking as a in general worker these service cuts makes no sense but I would just suggest since this a fund issue just decrease the frequency of service but nobody listens to the common sense solution at CTA. :(

Now THE BIG ONE TO ME ... PLUS to add insult to injury, splitting the 111th /115th routes makes no sense cause the route itself is fine right now.

,,, but nobody listens to the common sense solution at CTA. :(

The last sentence is true. Also, I suppose that we currently are not in any position to determine how runs will be allocated among garages.

The 111/115 split was mentioned before as giving riders on 111th direct access to 95th, but, as others point out, violates the "don't overlap Pace" philosophy on King Dr. Now that Pace has said that CTA has talked with them, we don't know what the substance of those talks were with this route.

IMO (and of course it doesn't count with the CTA board of puppets), the 111/115 issue would have been eliminated if they just made 111 a bidirectional loop with all trips starting and ending at 95th, instead of the "south terminal" being 112-Corliss and then backtracking on 111th. There still would be the issue of the new service to the (I believe Target) shopping center.

Let just say this as a transit enthusiast /garage janitor pointing out the obvious

If the 11 was split, North Park would have double work for 2 routes that are basically duplicated

If the 145 got eliminated this would mean that the 143,144,148 would tether between routes which leaves the 146,147,151 with increased service (which makes no sense when the 148 coulded have got elimanated to compensate

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Now THE BIG ONE TO ME

If the x28 got elimanated, sending the 28 downtown during rush hour would not only delay service but 103rd has a hard enough time keeping up with the 28,29,30* (I think its shared with 77th ?) But it would leave 103rd short equipment wise to fillservice on stony island.

Because the fleet distribution today is definitely going to be exactly the same when the new pick goes into effect, and it would be impossible for CTA to shift buses around to meet new fleet needs at each location, right?

PLUS to add insult to injury, splitting the 111th /115th routes makes no sense cause the route itself is fine right now.

Actually, the route right now is what makes no sense. Someone on 111th currently has to get a leisurely tour around the south side before getting where they (most likely) want to go.

(As for the constant complaints about the 111 running on King Drive, well you either duplicate service on Cottage Grove, or you duplicate it on King Drive; it's not going to be perfect, so deal with it.)

If you go to Bustracker on 80. Its mark with sevice change.While the Cta claims its adding service to the route.It looks like less service on the Route.

How would you know? Have the new schedules for December 16 been released yet on the 80?

How would you know? Have the new schedules for December 16 been released yet on the 80?

There was a note on the 80 that basically said starting Dec. 16th new frequencies would be in effect: 7-9:30 8-9 minutes instead of 6-7 minutes, 9-12 pm 12-14 instead of 10-12 minutes, etc. That is not the actual frequencies but I forget what the actual frequencies were. For the most part, they were generally longer. The note has since been removed.

I'm not surprised that the changes were so easily approved. But we must remember these changes are all 180 day experiments, meaning that adjustments can be made either during the experiment period or after. The experiment can also be extended another 180 days as well. So in a sense, the public can have some influence on what stays, what goes, and what gets tweaked based on how they respond to these changes by their riding habits. For instance, a large uptick in rider boardings at the Red Line Wilson station could make CTA rethink bringing back service along Wilson. But if ridership increases on the 148 beyond what came from the 144, then you will never see the 145 again in any form. Another example is the 111 split. I believe the real reason for this change has nothing to do with the ridership on 111th but hoping to siphon some ridership from the already crowded 34/119 Michigan routes as well as capturing some of the 353 ridership. The question is will the high frequency nature of the 34/119 cause people to continue to gravitate to those routes or the chance to get a seat on a route with less frequency may get them to try the new 111? My guess is old habits die hard and ridership on Michigan will not be affected much, if at all, which is why I suggested that running this route along Michigan instead of King Drive might be better (from a decrowding standpoint).

Speaking of decrowding, it is a shame that the 12 Roosevelt only gets artics on the weekends. That is one route that could definitely use them on weekdays. The 18 doesn't offer any noticeable help, in part, because the frequency of the 12 is high and the frequency on the 18 is low. If artics aren't a solution, how about some short turns, say at Western for a western terminus, since the highest ridership seems to be between the Medical district and the Roosevelt L station.

I'm not surprised that the changes were so easily approved. But we must remember these changes are all 180 day experiments, meaning that adjustments can be made either during the experiment period or after. The experiment can also be extended another 180 days as well. So in a sense, the public can have some influence on what stays, what goes, and what gets tweaked based on how they respond to these changes by their riding habits.

While that was said for the various restructurings, including the 35 extension, nothing like that was said about this. If there was, cite a source.

To put it simply, they held the public hearing mandated by section 49 U.S.C. 5307, which has and still does have a requirement for "a locally developed process to solicit and consider public comment before raising a fare or carrying out a major reduction of transportation," took the comment, ignored it, and passed the cuts.

If they reinstate service at some point, it won't be because of some experiment.

I think what's going to end up happening is there going to do the cuts and some of the service may come back, if there is a major disruption. That may just be the case on inner Lake Shore Dr between Belmont and Irving Pk. I doubt there going to double the #146 service, probably they'll get 3 or 4 buses. I just don't see how there going to add that much service (maybe a bus a route) from routes that don't have many buses. I think the buses will still be crowded. There starting to run a real lean operation, with operators and passengers all working harder to use the service. It's no wonder that there is heavy bus bunching, because in many ways passenger loads are overloading the system and operators can't keep up. There is only so much they can cut.

• Upvote 3

Speaking of decrowding, it is a shame that the 12 Roosevelt only gets artics on the weekends. That is one route that could definitely use them on weekdays. The 18 doesn't offer any noticeable help, in part, because the frequency of the 12 is high and the frequency on the 18 is low. If artics aren't a solution, how about some short turns, say at Western for a western terminus, since the highest ridership seems to be between the Medical district and the Roosevelt L station.

I still ride the 12 in some capacity and the route does fine without doing all artics on weekdays, the statement that it only gets artics on weekends is a misstatement. It has gotten artics on some weekday trips but mainly during the rush hour periods which makes more sense for their use. Weekday middays and evenings are not all that heavy enough to need artics. Plus Kedzie has its artics currently on the 134, 145, 148, 151 and 156 during the weekdays.

Today I got the new CTA map/brochure. It features a NF bus and 2400 series train. It has a small Jeffer Jump promp on it. The revised 35th route is inthere. It even has the updated routing for 301 & 303. Too bad this brochure will be outdated in 3 months.

Ok, thank you i've been waiting on getting a copy of the new map, Yes this map will be out of date by December, but get your copy now plus the Cover looks very artistic, Good Job CTA looks very Retro CTA

Though this is not a service adjustment, I think a good idea for some "decrowding" on the L (at least the Green Line) would be to realign those yellow stripes on the platforms that indicate where the train should stop according to length. My specific problem is where the six-car lines are drawn. They are very close (too close) to the line for the 8-car trains. At State/Lake in particular, the 6 car trains pull all the way to the end of the station as though it were an 8 car train. The problem is the last car winds up near the station entrance and turnstiles, so rather than people being spread out to board all of the cars, most people wind up piling in into the last two cars. Then the operator has the gall to say "use all doors" and continually playing the doors closed announcement when he/she has passed half of the people to begin with. This is the case at 35th in rush hours as well.

Look for some garage street changes coming to a CTA system pick near you.

With CTA cutting here and there, I'm surprised they haven't gone to making alot of the routes share between garages. (maybe this is an attempt at that) Seems weird that one part of the route ends at for example 9:30PM and other parts can end an hour or hour an a half later. This way if they have a garage at each end services would just end in unison. It would seem to be more efficient especially on the longer routes.