CTA Service Adjustments

CURRENTZ_09

J14 should extend to 12am or later daily, especially it would help Red Line South side riders during shut down.

I am sure when the 'revised' spring pick comes out in May for 74th, 77th and 103rd St. Garages, the J14 will have expanded services along with many of the Red Line/Green Line connecting routes and the South Lakefront routes during reconstruction.

Several routes will get some later or early services restored. 6,J14,18, 50, 70, 75, 92, 111, 115 are the routes that I remember. 6 will end at 1am instead of 12:30, J14 will start at 4a.m instead of 4:30 and end at 11:30 instead of 10:30. 18 will end at 7p.m instead of 6p.m. 50 will end at 11 instead of 10:30p.m. 70 will end at 11p.m instead of 10:30p.m. 75 will end at 11:30p.m instead of 10:30. 92 will have later weekend service ending at 10:30 and 11p.m on weedays. #111/115 will both end at 11p.m instead of 10:30.

Where is the information comeing from?

Besides that, how does supposedly extending service into the night reduce crowding? Our correspondent did not say.

However, it is recorded here, so in a couple of weeks, we will know.

In the meantime, the home page had a link to this Tribune story.

While the petitioners seem to still be going, most of those quoted figured out about Peterson lying, including "This board didn't even pretend to listen.... They're not only not listening. They're disrespectful, feeling smug because they're appointed, not elected."

In the meantime, the home page had a link to this Tribune story.

While the petitioners seem to still be going, most of those quoted figured out about Peterson lying, including "This board didn't even pretend to listen.... They're not only not listening. They're disrespectful, feeling smug because they're appointed, not elected."

Any chance you can paste the article? I can't access it due to their stupid "become a member" b.s, but I'm not paying a monthly fee for just occasional articles I read.

I was traveling in my neighborhood around Harlem/Higgins. As I drove up Harlem ave. between Higgins and Devon ave. NB all the CTA bus stops have been removed and replaced by Pace route #423 bus stop signs. The SB signs have not yet been changed. Between Avondale ave. and Higgins still display the old CTA signs with 90N/88/423. They will probably just "white out" the 90N portion so it just displays Routes #88/423 rather than just replace it with an all new sign.

Any chance you can paste the article? I can't access it due to their stupid "become a member" b.s, but I'm not paying a monthly fee for just occasional articles I read.

Try this link: http://www.instapaper.com/text?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chicagotribune.com%2Fnews%2Fcolumnists%2Fct-met-schmich-1128-20121128%2C0%2C6568431.column

I was traveling in my neighborhood around Harlem/Higgins. As I drove up Harlem ave. between Higgins and Devon ave. NB all the CTA bus stops have been removed and replaced by Pace route #423 bus stop signs. The SB signs have not yet been changed. Between Avondale ave. and Higgins still display the old CTA signs with 90N/88/423. They will probably just "white out" the 90N portion so it just displays Routes #88/423 rather than just replace it with an all new sign.

The interesting questions, which I realize you can't answer, are:

• Did one CTA or Pace crew both remove and replace the signs, or were two crews necessary?
  • CTA might not just "white out" the multipanel signs. On that stretch, Pace at first taped "423" over "228 Harlem," but then the map style signs were replaced (presumably by CTA) with the two panel ones. Maybe the fact that the sign faces are generated by computer makes them easier to replace.

I'll have to go by in the near future to check them out, and also the stop distribution on Milwaukee to be served only by 270.

BTW, someone will have to check out west Madison, too. There seemed to be a mixture of CTA signs for 17, 303 and 310, and Pace signs for 303, 310, and maybe 317.

Well I guess pretty much the Lincoln route from Fullerton to Western is done. No amount of alderman or petitions or even complaining will change the CTA's mind. December 16 will be the beginning of the end for a lot of businesses between Fullerton and Western on Lincoln. I read or viewed a video somewhere about Forrest Claypool possibly revisiting the cuts after they are implemented, probably to make it seem to the public like he gives a crap and might change things around again, even though I know that won't happen. Once the CTA has enough articulated buses in it's stock, many of the overcrowded routes like Chicago, Belmont, Ashland, etc... will have a few articulateds to ease the overcrowding problem. Adding a few extra 40' buses will not change the overcrowding problem on routes like Belmont and Chicago to name a few. Add a bus with additional space like a 60' one, and the overcrowding eases.

Bottom line: Cutting low ridership routes with standard 40' buses won't do jack... increasing capacity at garages and ordering more 60' buses will. All that will do is bottleneck the overcrowded routes with 40' buses back-to-back-to-back. And they'll all be overcrowded.

The interesting questions, which I realize you can't answer, are:

• Did one CTA or Pace crew both remove and replace the signs, or were two crews necessary?
  • CTA might not just "white out" the multipanel signs. On that stretch, Pace at first taped "423" over "228 Harlem," but then the map style signs were replaced (presumably by CTA) with the two panel ones. Maybe the fact that the sign faces are generated by computer makes them easier to replace.

I'll have to go by in the near future to check them out, and also the stop distribution on Milwaukee to be served only by 270.

BTW, someone will have to check out west Madison, too. There seemed to be a mixture of CTA signs for 17, 303 and 310, and Pace signs for 303, 310, and maybe 317.

Im wondering if Pace will eliminate its express rush period service when the #56A is eliminated. Will Pace eliminate all express service? Obviously Pace will have to provide local service during the rush periods now that the #56A will be gone. Pace was able to operate the rush hour express only because the #56A provided the local all stop service between JeffPK and Devon.

Im wondering if Pace will eliminate its express rush period service when the #56A is eliminated. Will Pace eliminate all express service? Obviously Pace will have to provide local service during the rush periods now that the #56A will be gone. Pace was able to operate the rush hour express only because the #56A provided the local all stop service between JeffPK and Devon.

The Pace Minutes previously cited said they would:

Route 270 currently only picks up customers heading northbound and drops off customers heading southbound.

Staff recommends that customers be allowed to board or exit the buses on peak hour trips in both directions

within the City of Chicago.

As I previously indicated, while there will be stops in the city during rush hour, I wonder about the spacing, in that 270 is limited Posted Stops Only north of Imlay.

There is a lot to digest here, but I will offer my two cents:

1. 1 Indiana/Hyde Pk: Why not just eliminate the entire route instead of just the service south of 35th? The #4 Cottage Grove runs 24 hrs north of 35th to Jackson/Adams.

2. 28/X28. It appears that the express portion will remain intact during rush hours, but there will be no local/express duplicity, meaning during nonpeak times all buses run between 103rd and 47th/Lake Park, and during rush periods all buses run downtown to Union Station. The question is will the routing be entirely on Lake Park (like the 28 local now) or along S Hyde Park Blvd (like the current X28)? My guess would be the latter, since the 15 covers Lake Park between Hyde Pk and 56th.

5. 11 Lincoln:

37 Sedgwick: I don't understand eliminating the routing between Western and Fullerton, even if it does cover the same area that the Brown Line does. I don't have the ridership numbers, but if the ridership is that low, why not eliminate the route altogether? The 210 could cover the routing from Western Brown Line. The 37 (current 11) also runs parallel to the Brown south of Fullerton, yet I don't see any crush loads on that segment of the route, but it manages to stay alive in one way shape or form.

Another thought. By shortening the #1 and with the route 35 extension, could one or both routes be moved to K? Could they possibly be interlined?

I was reading over the plans for bus cuts and I don't understand why the #1 route is not completely eliminated. It basically runs down Michigan from downtown along with the #4 and there will only be a half mile left of northbound only service on Indiana from 31st-35th. Southbound remains on Michigan. Aside from connecting Bronzeville to Union Station, there is a lot of duplication, so what is the point of this route?.

Somebody agrees with me. It seems ironic that CTA keeps a route that runs rush hour only with another route that is full time, yet eliminates a segment of routing on a route (11) with no viable alternative (the Brown Line is not a viable alternative). The only justification I could come up with for keeping the 1 route is for the passengers riding between S Michigan Ave and the West Loop area near Union Station. If that be the case, wouldn't it have been better to keep the 129 West/South Loop (which also serves Oglivie shares the 1 routing to Roosevelt/Michigan) and route via Michigan from there to either Cermak or 26th/Michigan? This way the 129 would have one consistent routing in both directions in peak periods. You then eliminate the joke of a route name(1 Indiana/Hyde Pk), and you keep some South Loop residents happy having a West Loop alternative. OR they could just take the 4 and transfer to the 7, 28/X28, or 126 downtown to finish their trip.

Somebody agrees with me. It seems ironic that CTA keeps a route that runs rush hour only with another route that is full time, yet eliminates a segment of routing on a route (11) with no viable alternative (the Brown Line is not a viable alternative). The only justification I could come up with for keeping the 1 route is for the passengers riding between S Michigan Ave and the West Loop area near Union Station. If that be the case, wouldn't it have been better to keep the 129 West/South Loop (which also serves Oglivie shares the 1 routing to Roosevelt/Michigan) and route via Michigan from there to either Cermak or 26th/Michigan? This way the 129 would have one consistent routing in both directions in peak periods. You then eliminate the joke of a route name(1 Indiana/Hyde Pk), and you keep some South Loop residents happy having a West Loop alternative. OR they could just take the 4 and transfer to the 7, 28/X28, or 126 downtown to finish their trip.

There might be an argument that IIT needs the connection to Union Station, but then they ought to pay for it.

What about the 2 Hyde Park Express, 4 Cottage Grove*, 8 Halsted*, 24 Wentworth, 26 South Shore Express, 28 Stony Island*, 29 State*, 54 Cicero*, 65 Grand*, 72 North Ave, 146 Inner Drive/Michigan Express* 147 Outer Drive Express*, 152 Addison*? * (Later evening or owl service)

#4 is already an owl route but #146 will get an extra hour of later service ending at 11:30p.m. I forgot to mention that.

Besides that, how does supposedly extending service into the night reduce crowding? Our correspondent did not say.

However, it is recorded here, so in a couple of weeks, we will know.

Some of the routes I listed such as J14, have either fully seated loads on the last trip or slight crowding with standees. This justifies later service because of demand. If the 2010 cuts never happened they wouldn't be adding back service they originally took away.

There might be an argument that IIT needs the connection to Union Station, but then they ought to pay for it.

Nothing that the Rock Island couldn't handle. Board at 35th, ride to LaSalle Station, walk a short distance to Union Station. Besides, I think they have a bus shuttle that does that. It is operated by Treasured Tours.

• Upvote 1

Some of the routes I listed such as J14, have either fully seated loads on the last trip or slight crowding with standees. This justifies later service because of demand. If the 2010 cuts never happened they wouldn't be adding back service they originally took away.

"Slight crowding with standees" doesn't come within the rationale of buses packed over the yellow line during rush hours, which was the tenor of the public meeting Powerpoint display. It certainly does not justify cutting all service on mid-Lincoln.

So, if this is the case, CTA was engaged again in a sham.

Glad to see Alderman Pawar saying something about the #11 Lincoln/Sedgwick cut between Fullerton and Western, but I think it's too little too late. Why didn't he say anything when I personally told him at the store and when his other ward neighbors called and e-mailed him? Why now say something with about 2 &1/2 weeks until the service is gone? I doubt Forrest Claypool and Rahm Emanuel will read his comments and say "Oops... we should keep the Lincoln route as is."

Story

Suddenly big talk, but not so big since it is in some community newspaper. Also, it again indicates that he has no clout, or the message would have been that he is dealing behind the scenes to have the cut rescinded. Instead, he says the obvious.

I will give him credit to standing up to Emanuel.

Since Emanuel doesn't live that far away.They should organize a protest in front of his house.

The Pace Minutes previously cited said they would:

As I previously indicated, while there will be stops in the city during rush hour, I wonder about the spacing, in that 270 is limited Posted Stops Only north of Imlay.

According to the Pace Passenger Notice for 270

"The CTA has decided to eliminate Route 56A North Milwaukee which operates weekday service between the CTA Blue Line Jefferson Park Transit Center and Devon/Avondale during rush hours and Milwaukee/Imlay at all other times. As an alternative, Route 56A customers can use Pace Route 270 which operates daily service along Milwaukee Avenue between the CTA Blue Line Jefferson Park Transit Center and Golf Mill. Certain weekday trips on Route 270 serve AON Service Corporation and certain weekday and Saturday trips are extended to Glenbrook Hospital.

Pace will modify its weekday rush hour stop pattern on Route 270 so that customers will be able to board and exit the bus in both directions when traveling between the CTA Blue Line Jefferson Park Transit Center and Milwaukee/Devon during rush hours. It should be noted that Route 270 will continue to only stop at posted bus stop signs. Flag stops are not permitted on this route.

Additional morning rush hour service will be added to Route 270.

There will be no change to Saturday or Sunday service on Route 270. "