3200-series - Updates

sw4400

I had a theory that's very unlikely but I'll go ahead and voice it anyways. The theory is that they have some way of making the rehabbed 3200s compatible with the 5000s and that's why they don't seem to care about the 5000s not being compatible with the 7000s. This would explain also why we haven't heard much about the 3200 rehab project...they might be trying to work something out with Bombardier.

Again, highly unlikely but probably worth posting.

I had a theory that's very unlikely but I'll go ahead and voice it anyways. The theory is that they have some way of making the rehabbed 3200s compatible with the 5000s and that's why they don't seem to care about the 5000s not being compatible with the 7000s. This would explain also why we haven't heard much about the 3200 rehab project...they might be trying to work something out with Bombardier.

Again, highly unlikely but probably worth posting.

That theory got blown out of the water when Hilkevitch exposed the "secret plan" to give a no bid contract to Bombardier in return for Bombardier building a shop at the 63rd Yard.

If anything is clear, it is that Skokie Shops is doing this work and the requisition was for kits to refurbish current motors, controls, etc.

That theory got blown out of the water when Hilkevitch exposed the "secret plan" to give a no bid contract to Bombardier in return for Bombardier building a shop at the 63rd Yard.

If anything is clear, it is that Skokie Shops is doing this work and the requisition was for kits to refurbish current motors, controls, etc.

Was the Bombardier shop never built? If it was built, it seems like that would strengthen the theory I mentioned as Bombardier would have a dedicated place to convert the 3200s. With the addition of the digital run number boxes to the rehab order, it seems like they're trying to make the 3200s look identical to the 5000s in every way possible.

Was the Bombardier shop never built? If it was built, it seems like that would strengthen the theory I mentioned as Bombardier would have a dedicated place to convert the 3200s. With the addition of the digital run number boxes to the rehab order, it seems like they're trying to make the 3200s look identical to the 5000s in every way possible.

• It was never built. Would you build something like that after such an expose?
  • Sure CTA is trying to make the cars look similar, but if they were going to do what Hilkevitch said they thought about, there would have been one press release for a $300 million contract to Bombardier, instead of the numerous press releases and ordinances that the board approved maybe 10 parts contracts, and CTA wouldn't have put in requisitions that it was testing 4 sets of destination signs for a year, and only 4 sets of destination signs have been seen by anyone for a year. CTA PR might be full of it, but doesn't lie to that extent. I suggest you go back and read the press releases and ordinances (this search should be overinclusive).

We'll that's what a supervisor said and if they don't know what's going on, we are in real doo-doo. :lol:

Guess the Supervisor is going to have to start shoveling the _______ then, because rehabbed 2600's have been assigned to the Brown Line before...

http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery/images/2600/cta2996-ChicagoMarathon.jpg

10/4/2003

http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery/images/2600/cta2998-Altoids.jpg

6/7/2004

http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery/images/2600/cta2997-98-Altoids.jpg

6/18/2004

And jolly old St. Nick's "L" Chariot

http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery/images/2600/cta2898-holiday03c.jpg

Annually

And the above, non-Holiday Train photos were not Brownages or Ravenstons. 2993-3002 were assigned to the Brown Line for a time in the early 2000's.... all ten had the rehab before being assigned.

Besides that point, the 2600's assigned to the Purple Line would be in the same boat, BusHunter. From Belmont to Clark/Lake and back, they share the Brown Line track all the way.

Guess the Supervisor is going to have to start shoveling the _______ then, because rehabbed 2600's have been assigned to the Brown Line before...

Besides that point, the 2600's assigned to the Purple Line would be in the same boat, BusHunter. From Belmont to Clark/Lake and back, they share the Brown Line track all the way.

There isn't any doubt that 2600s were assigned to the Brown Line before; the usual allocation was about 20 of them with the 3200s before the "Clown the Brown" project. The only real question is whether something since then caused the reported Blue Light Specials, or as someone else indicated, that was only a transient problem.

I don't know if they took the wrap off #3379-80 or not but run #718 has an unwrapped set of cars in it's consist with color led destination signs.

Accidentally deleted my reply to this (darn mobile site) but I just saw that consist pull into Washington/Wells-outer. It had an orange "Midway" sign but switched to "Not In Service" right as my purple line pulled in. Pretty sure the LED cars were 3207-3208...couldn't see the numbers well but I'm nearly positive it was those.

Accidentally deleted my reply to this (darn mobile site) but I just saw that consist pull into Washington/Wells-outer. It had an orange "Midway" sign but switched to "Not In Service" right as my purple line pulled in. Pretty sure the LED cars were 3207-3208...couldn't see the numbers well but I'm nearly positive it was those.

Brownage in the afternoon??? I spotted those earlier at Armitage.

Supposedly they exist...I didn't get to see what the LED signs said before it switched to "Not In Service" but the front one was definitely "Midway" until my train pulled in.

Really strange, as the sign to change destination signs is on leaving Merchandise Mart, and, of course, going out of service is about unheard in the Loop.

Really strange, as the sign to change destination signs is on leaving Merchandise Mart, and, of course, going out of service is about unheard in the Loop.

Yeah, I thought the same...I was watching out the front window as we approached Wash./Wells and saw the orange sign and thought "what on earth is an Orange line doing on the outer track at this time of day?!" and just before we pulled in, the class lights changed from Orange line class lights to "Not In Service" (same as Purple Express; two white) and the signs started to move. The LED signs were already at "Not In Service" when we passed them.
  • Upvote 2

Just saw a non-5000 pulling up to Tower 12 from the south. Couldn't see any class lights or destination signs on it, nothing scheduled on the train tracker that'd line up with it. Possibly more cars going up for rehab? Would that mean they're almost done with one group?

Work is supposed to take 6 weeks per 8 car set. The question is has work started. I'm not really missing any car numbers unless you want to say the #3250's.

Ooooo, you might just answer your own question because I haven't seen any of them for a while.

Just spotted #3253-54 on the Orange Line and they're not rehabbed.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody been up to Skokie Shops recently? Have they made progress on the first group of cars? I haven't seen 3207/8 or 3379/80 in a while either...I'd expect we should be seeing the first set of rehabbed cars in a couple weeks if they're on schedule.

3207-3208 are still out there in revenue service on the Orange Line. They are only retrofitted with the LED destination signage

​Guess I just have terrible timing with them, then...I see about 4 orange lines a day during my commute :P Same with 379-80; haven't seen them for a couple weeks and I ride the brown line at least once a day.

​Guess I just have terrible timing with them, then...I see about 4 orange lines a day during my commute :P Same with 379-80; haven't seen them for a couple weeks and I ride the brown line at least once a day.

​I think see 3379-3380 still the with ad on it but the last time I saw it on the Red Line  Subway with a Roosevelt  sign on it.

Edited by ArcherRider

​I think see 3379-3380 still the with ad on it but the last time I saw it on the Red Line  Subway with a Roosevelt  sign on it.

​That would have been a weekend Brown Line...it should still run during the week; I just haven't seen it. I've seen the other pair of beach-ad-wrapped cars, but not the LED sign ones.

Hey guys...I just saw a brown line with LED signs on the rear two cars leaving Randolph/Wabash. It was dark, so I couldn't see them well, but it didn't look like they had ad wrapping on them (shiny silver instead). Is 3207-08 on the brown line for some reason, or is there a rehabbed set out now?

Edited by briman94

This  morning come back from visit some one who lived near Kimball Brown Line Station and was ride the Brown Line Subway back home and the train went by the yard I see 3379-3380 was in the yard and still have the ad on the side  because that is only train with a blank sign  that I see in the yard.

Edited by ArcherRider
  • Upvote 1