3200-series - Updates

sw4400

Saw two pairs of wrapped LED fitted cars in a SB Brown Line consist a few minutes ago. One pair was 79-80, but I didn't catch the numbers of the other pair. Am I seeing things, or have rehabs begun?

​I saw that consist in the loop a little while ago. 3379-80 were bringing up the rear, and it was led by two other wrapped cars. None of the others had LEDs though; only 3379-80, so you must have been seeing things :P 

​I saw that consist in the loop a little while ago. 3379-80 were bringing up the rear, and it was led by two other wrapped cars. None of the others had LEDs though; only 3379-80, so you must have been seeing things :P 

​ Thanks for verifying my insanity! Guess it was too early to think :P

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was on a 4-car 3200 last night that was strangely smooth. Nothing looked rehabbed by any means, but when the driver would accelerate out of the station the motors sort of "faded in" like the 5000s do. Moving from power to coasting was still just as bad as usual, but it didn't "spaz out" while accelerating like most of them do...

I saw 3379-80 today without the wraps.

​I saw that too...forgot to post about it. Got really excited because I thought a rehabbed set was out, but alas, it was just 3379-80. I also realized that we shouldn't just look at the LED signs, but also the interior lighting. I believe they're making all the rehabbed 3200s have LED lighting like the 5000s do (and one of the 3200s already does).

​I saw that too...forgot to post about it. Got really excited because I thought a rehabbed set was out, but alas, it was just 3379-80. I also realized that we shouldn't just look at the LED signs, but also the interior lighting. I believe they're making all the rehabbed 3200s have LED lighting like the 5000s do (and one of the 3200s already does).

​With Skokie Shops inaccessible, I'm sure the 3200-Series rehab is on temporary hiatus right now.

• 3 weeks later...

So far 3207-3208, 3379-3380, 3305-3306, & 3325-3326 all have LED destination signs. I haven't noticed any other visible rehab/upgrades.

​Really? O.o Are they on the Brown or Orange lines? We could end up having a brown line with all 8 cars having digital signs if the CTA really wants to show off...

Guess I have more car numbers to memorize...

Edited by briman94

​Really? O.o Are they on the Brown or Orange lines? We could end up having a brown line with all 8 cars having digital signs if the CTA really wants to show off...

I guess Briman's going to be camped out in front of Kimball yard tonight. Lol!! Why do just the signs? It could be something they decided to do ahead of the rehab. If so the brown and orange line #3200's could have all led signs by the next two months.

• Upvote 1

I guess Briman's going to be camped out in front of Kimball yard tonight. Lol!! Why do just the signs? It could be something they decided to do ahead of the rehab. If so the brown and orange line #3200's could have all led signs by the next two months.

It would've been nice if they had LED run number boxes. Speaking of that, it would've been cool if they had different colors i.e. Red to match the Red Line run numbers.

​3207-3208 are considered Orange line equipment but usually is apart of the Brownage runs. And the other sets are apart of Brown line equipment. I saw 3305-3306 yesterday in the loop pm peak waiting at Clark/Lake and 3325-3326 in the am peak going into the loop when I was exiting via Brown line towards Kimball. 

​No there are two more with LED signs now. 3405-06 I think.

That was a while ago that I said that :P

It would've been nice if they had LED run number boxes. Speaking of that, it would've been cool if they had different colors i.e. Red to match the Red Line run numbers.

They are getting LED run boxes eventually. I don't know if colored run numbers would work well (amber is pretty much the most noticeable color), but I still like my idea of having color light strips on the edges of the doorways that light up when the door opens.

They are getting LED run boxes eventually. I don't know if colored run numbers would work well (amber is pretty much the most noticeable color), but I still like my idea of having color light strips on the edges of the doorways that light up when the door opens.

​Passengers are getting the benefit of the color destination signs. I doubt that 95% know or care what a run box is.

​Passengers are getting the benefit of the color destination signs. I doubt that 95% know or care what a run box is.

​I agree...that's why I feel like those should stay Amber like the 5000s and instead they should just put fancy color light strips on the 7000s! xD

​That or do what Taipei does: have red or amber LEDs for the run numbers, but have vertical lines of LEDs on either side of the run numbers that can change color for the line or yard (if they wanted to color code the yards for some reason). The LEDs could also be an alternative to the marker lights should one of those burn out.

...but I still like my idea of having color light strips on the edges of the doorways that light up when the door opens.

​Seattle has something like that on their light rail cars. They're LED light strips about 1-2 inches vertical placed about the height of your arms that flash yellow when the doors are closing. They don't stay lit when the doors open though.

​That or do what Taipei does: have red or amber LEDs for the run numbers, but have vertical lines of LEDs on either side of the run numbers that can change color for the line or yard (if they wanted to color code the yards for some reason). The LEDs could also be an alternative to the marker lights should one of those burn out.

​Seattle has something like that on their light rail cars. They're LED light strips about 1-2 inches vertical placed about the height of your arms that flash yellow when the doors are closing. They don't stay lit when the doors open though.

​The 7000s will have one single LED marker light on each side of the front destination sign instead of four incandescent lights (not sure if the 5000s have LEDs or incandescent), so they shouldn't have to worry about them burning out at least on those.

I think the colored light strips on the doorways would definitely add a modern look to the trains. They would light up the color of the line when the doors open, and then flash the color of the line when the doors are closing to make it more obvious (let's be honest...the little blinky light on the 5000s could be a little more noticeable...)

​...

I think the colored light strips on the doorways would definitely add a modern look to the trains. They would light up the color of the line when the doors open, and then flash the color of the line when the doors are closing to make it more obvious (let's be honest...the little blinky light on the 5000s could be a little more noticeable...)

​In that LED strips are now widely available (to put under your kitchen cabinets, for instance) that shouldn't be a big deal.

Yeah very soon it will be all of them. What no Orange line love? Makes me wonder if somehow the rehabs have been delayed again, maybe from some missing parts that haven't been delivered. They must have got the signs and gave the go ahead to install them. But how are we going to tell then what has been rehabbed. updated run number boxes?

I guess I'm off to the Brown/Orange lines today.

I guess this calls for a new list

http://chitransit.org/topic/3193-3200-series-rehabs/

(3rd post down, I can't seem to link the post itself o.O)

Edited by BusHunter

Yeah very soon it will be all of them. What no Orange line love? Makes me wonder if somehow the rehabs have been delayed again, maybe from some missing parts that haven't been delivered. They must have got the signs and gave the go ahead to install them. But how are we going to tell then what has been rehabbed. updated run number boxes?

I guess I'm off to the Brown/Orange lines today.

​They can't rehab them because the shops are closed, but they probably want to get the LED signs installed sooner rather than later. It seems like it's probably a really easy conversion, so they can most likely do it at Kimball and Midway. I'm pretty hyped and impressed with the speed at which they're putting LEDs on them though...seems like we may see a full conversion within a month or two.

Also, regarding your statement on "how are we going to tell what has been rehabbed," I would look for LED interior lighting, possibly new seat covers, and maybe cleaner bogies/underbodies. I would guess that it will be easy to spot the first rehabbed set once it finds its way out of Skokie Shops.

Edited by briman94
  • Upvote 3

Also, regarding your statement on "how are we going to tell what has been rehabbed," I would look for LED interior lighting, possibly new seat covers, and maybe cleaner bogies/underbodies. I would guess that it will be easy to spot the first rehabbed set once it finds its way out of Skokie Shops.

​But since most of it is under the car mechanicals, HVAC and the like, probably not.