3200-series - Updates

sw4400

Wait a min!! Since when cant the brown line run 2600's?? Because of a tight turn??? I've never heard that before, not too long ago they were used on the Brown line during rush hour so where did this come from about them not being able to be used on that line because of tight corners?

Also, the CTA cars starting with the PCCs (although maybe ending with the 7000s) do not have brake compressors. They are "all electric," with track (magnetic), dynamic (through the resistors, or in the 5000s, regenerative), and disc, actuated mechanically, although there apparently is a hydraulic assist for the disc brakes.

I thought they had "electropneumatic brakes," although I probably just saw that in the 7000s spec and assumed it was the same for the 24/26/32/5000s

Well I was alluding to the problems they have with the #2600 cars all getting blue lights. .

I can't remember where I saw it, but there was some recent order that restricted 2600s from being used on the Brown line. Apparently when they go around tight corners (probably the tightest being at Kimball and in the yard), the wheel scrapes the inverter cover and moves it enough to make the vehicle think the cover was opened, which triggers the blue light.

I still don't see this problem.... did it start recently??? Brown Line went from 2400's to 2600's in the '80's until the 3200's arrived, and here's the rosters from the 2000's that had them on the Brown Line(courtesy of Chicago-l.org)

1/30/02

• 2947-2950

3/1/02-6/11/02

• 2949-2952

6/28/02-8/30/02

• 2961-2964

10/30/02

• 2981-2990

11/20/02

• 2985-2994

1/17/03

• 2681-2682
  • 2769-2770
  • 2825-2826
  • 2853-2854
  • 2989-2998

6/21/03-8/23/03

• 2989-2998

9/18/03-12/14/03

• 2991-3000

1/9/04-1/18/06

• 2993-3002

If there was problems with blue lights being triggered because of tight curves, wouldn't it have started when the trains were assigned here and in the '80's when the fleet was pretty much all 2600's? The CTA had a small amount of 2600's on the Brown Line for four years since rehabs were completed. Wouldn't they have shifted back 2400's to the Brown Line in the '80's and moved the 2600's to whatever line those cars came from if there was an issue?

If there was problems with blue lights being triggered because of tight curves, wouldn't it have started when the trains were assigned here and in the '80's when the fleet was pretty much all 2600's? The CTA had a small amount of 2600's on the Brown Line for four years since rehabs were completed. Wouldn't they have shifted back 2400's to the Brown Line in the '80's and moved the 2600's to whatever line those cars came from if there was an issue?

The quote I quoted above mentioned "2600s with the larger A-size wheels"...did they get slightly larger wheels when they were rehabbed or something?

The quote I quoted above mentioned "2600s with the larger A-size wheels"...did they get slightly larger wheels when they were rehabbed or something?

Not really seeing that either.... again courtesy of Chicago-l.org

2600's info page

3200's info page

Wheel diameter for both shows 28". Truck wheelbase 78" and truck centers 33'-8". So, I don't see a difference in wheel size anywhere. The numbers are the same for both.

• Upvote 3

sw4400, on 12 Feb 2015 - 11:18, said:

Not really seeing that either.... again courtesy of Chicago-l.org

2600's info page

3200's info page

Wheel diameter for both shows 28". Truck wheelbase 78" and truck centers 33'-8". So, I don't see a difference in wheel size anywhere. The numbers are the same for both.

You'd have to ask BusHunter...he was the one who mentioned that restriction. I'm not sure where he got it from.

Wouldn't 3457-3458 be a better pair to run on the Orange Line instead of the Brown Line? The Orange Line has both series the set is made of, and with the mentioned problems with the 2600s running on the Brown Line, you'd think 3458 would be better off on the Orange Line, unless they gave it wheels similar to the 3200s.

i wonder where they are going to get the space to work on these #3200's at Skokie Shops and have #5000's being accepted for service? When I was there, they had a 2 car spot reserved for incoming #5000's, most of the shop was being used for #2600's about 4/5 of it. (A good 8 cars) They must be going to take a slot or two from the #2600's. Maybe the thinking is if they have spare cars, they can sacrifice being behind a little behind on #2600 repairs, but then I don't see where they would have the time to scrap any either. Once the last 96 or so #5000's come into service I guess it won't really matter because they then can take their slot. (maybe 80 left to go in service by mid - late march, the #3200's startup date).

i wonder where they are going to get the space to work on these #3200's at Skokie Shops and have #5000's being accepted for service? When I was there, they had a 2 car spot reserved for incoming #5000's, most of the shop was being used for #2600's about 4/5 of it. (A good 8 cars) They must be going to take a slot or two from the #2600's. Maybe the thinking is if they have spare cars, they can sacrifice being behind a little behind on #2600 repairs, but then I don't see where they would have the time to scrap any either. Once the last 96 or so #5000's come into service I guess it won't really matter because they then can take their slot. (maybe 80 left to go in service by mid - late march, the #3200's startup date).

I'm somewhat surprised that with that extensive of a rehab, they didn't contract out the 3200s like they did the 2600s, although what ever they did for the 2400s was in house. Also, as you note, acceptance of 5000s will soon be over.

• 2 weeks later...

No CTA Press Release for it though

The news sources didn't get fairly identical spokesperson comments through investigative reporting. Also, more likely a press release would come out when there is a completed car to display.

There was a press release when the board approved the purchase of parts. Also, on other projects, such as Wilson and Washington-Wabash, the "construction starts" press release is either to get people to the groundbreaking or to warn about disruptions.

It's amazing how the 3200s used to be the second newest cars in the system, and now they are the second oldest.

Anyone notice that 3200-series cars on the Orange Line are becoming more limited in their usage. Today, they seemed to only use them during rush hours and 2600-series cars were still the majority even during the rush period.

Interesting observation. I'm sure the passengers and train crews would take the familiar 3200s over the 2600s, so something is up.

Yeah, the highest #3200 I can come up with on the Orange line is #3247-48. I saw #3265-66 on the Brown. I haven't really seen #3357-60 on Orange. Could the Orange line just have 50 #3200's? One thing I can say, it still backs up the idea that #2600's are restricted on the Brown line.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the highest #3200 I can come up with on the Orange line is #3247-48. I saw #3265-66 on the Brown. I haven't really seen #3357-60 on Orange. Could the Orange line just have 50 #3200's? One thing I can say, it still backs up the idea that #2600's are restricted on the Brown line.

I don't believe #2600's are restricted on the Brown Line. Before the #3200's were delivered, #2600's operated on the Brown Line. I know for a fact because remember riding on them when I was a kid from Armitage towards downtown. Also, if they were restricted, that means that the Brown would have to give up 3457-3458 because 3458 is a #2600. I recall the blue light issue being brought up, I think that instance was a fluke issue. I think the issue is more logistics than mechanical. Since the Brown Line has had the same #3200's more or less since 1993-1994, I highly doubt Kimball Shop has any #2600 parts nor have a reason to store them. Or the space since their shop is very small, If not the second smallest after Ashland/63.

I don't believe #2600's are restricted on the Brown Line. Before the #3200's were delivered, #2600's operated on the Brown Line. I know for a fact because remember riding on them when I was a kid from Armitage towards downtown. Also, if they were restricted, that means that the Brown would have to give up 3457-3458 because 3458 is a #2600. I recall the blue light issue being brought up, I think that instance was a fluke issue. I think the issue is more logistics than mechanical. Since the Brown Line has had the same #3200's more or less since 1993-1994, I highly doubt Kimball Shop has any #2600 parts nor have a reason to store them. Or the space since their shop is very small, If not the second smallest after Ashland/63.

We'll that's what a supervisor said and if they don't know what's going on, we are in real doo-doo. :lol:

Something about the #2600 cars post rehab has changed. Your right a long time ago the Ravenswood used to run #2700's along with the #6000's before the #3200's showed up. In fact I believe it was the #2700's original assignment.

Now this was mentioned in Nov, so I can't say if things have changed since then. #3458 most obviously has been doctored up to not have this defect. This can be easily achieved with 1 car versus a whole set. The only way to really know is if the #2600's are doing the Brownage, but then again we can ask, if everything is Ok why isn't the #2600's assigned there. Why is the Orange line the place to go with these #2600 cars and not the Brown?

Has anybody seen any indication of rehab progress? I'm not sure how long it takes to rehab one set...are they going to do single pairs at a time or entire consists/groups at a time before testing and them releasing them back out to the system?

...I'm not sure how long it takes to rehab one set...are they going to do single pairs at a time or entire consists/groups at a time before testing and them releasing them back out to the system?

Good question. There's a lot of factors that can go into this. Given the amount of speculation on this thread concerning the upgrades (potential motor upgrades, Busjack pointing out the ATC upgrade package, HVAC and electrical systems), I think there may be a possibility that the rehabbed 3200s may not play nice with the original 3200s. Even if sets can be mixed, the CTA might not do it anyways. Maybe whole 8-car sets are the way to go, but I don't know yet. I just want to see the dang project started already!