3200-series - Updates

sw4400

A friend gave me a few shots of #5000's with Orange, Brown and Blue line destinations. You can compare them with the #3200's and see how they look. (FYI, I mislabled the orange loop that should be brown loop, the colors look so close they almost look the same but you can go by the run numbers)

attachicon.gifmidway 5000's picture.jpg

attachicon.gif5000's orange loop.jpg

attachicon.gifkimball 5000's.jpg

attachicon.gifforest park blue line picture.jpg

attachicon.gif5000's jefferson park.jpg

Now that makes me really want Color destination signs on NYCT's R211s.

Do you mind if I post them on NYCTF and correct the idiots that said a color LED cant show brown?

If their soon to be retired in the next 10 years the probably not but if CTA is going for a standardized look then yes. I bet that 7000-series will not look anything different in exterior appearance but one remains to wait until "Later This Spring" for that reveal

If their soon to be retired in the next 10 years the probably not but if CTA is going for a standardized look then yes. I bet that 7000-series will not look anything different in exterior appearance but one remains to wait until "Later This Spring" for that reveal

Probably the body of the 7000s would be the main difference but it's too soon to think about that.

I hope they at least change the front. The sides don't look that aged but the front looks like it did 30 years ago. They need to modernize the look a bit!

I said this awhile back probably like 2-3 yrs ago but if they do decide to change it up, I hope they only change the end caps to resemble the old cars such as the 2000 series. I think that would Be cool considering how the 3200 and even the 5000 front ends look like the classic 6000 series if you do a side to side comparisons you all will see what I mean but as far as the sides and doors of the new cars they should keep it current like the 5000's cause that's basically the standard now.

A friend gave me a few shots of #5000's with Orange, Brown and Blue line destinations. You can compare them with the #3200's and see how they look. (FYI, I mislabled the orange loop that should be brown loop, the colors look so close they almost look the same but you can go by the run numbers)

attachicon.gifmidway 5000's picture.jpg

attachicon.gif5000's orange loop.jpg

attachicon.gifkimball 5000's.jpg

attachicon.gifforest park blue line picture.jpg

attachicon.gif5000's jefferson park.jpg

It will be a long time before we see this on the Blue Line!

The new signs have caught the attention of RedEye, who have posted an article about the test signs. However the article doesn't have anything we don't know.

Well we learned Axion Technologies is supplying the signs. It also appears that the rehab will be done at a different time than the installation of the signs just like the #1000's bus LED lighting rehab versus the actual mechanical rehab. I wonder would it be too ridiculous to include the 100 anticipated lightly rehabbed #2600's into the sign contract. If they could get enough cars together maybe they could make all roll sign cars belly cars or leave the spare cars with the roll signs.

The question is that is it worth having their run number boxes converted to LEDs?

No, I'll rather keep it little Old School, Keep the Roll numbers as the last CTA Active Fleet with Roll Numbers. It's over 20 years old anyway.

#3207-08 has the new signs on the Orange line if anyone wants to know.

Well, #3379-80 are one of the candidates.

And for anyone who hasn't already read or take the time to read the RedEye article linked above, these will be the only four cars retrofitted until next year. CTA is considering these a test for the other 254.

And for anyone who hasn't already read or take the time to read the RedEye article linked above, these will be the only four cars retrofitted until next year. CTA is considering these a test for the other 254.

And how often does CTA stick to the game plan? There should've been several more Novas on property by this time according to what they released when introducing the Smart Buses(take regular delivery of the buses in April and after inspection and acceptance start putting them on the road in May), but CTA was late on sending payments apparently.

And how often does CTA stick to the game plan? There should've been several more Novas on property by this time according to what they released when introducing the Smart Buses(take regular delivery of the buses in April and after inspection and acceptance start putting them on the road in May), but CTA was late on sending payments apparently.

What does that have to do with anything, or this thread?

I pointed out that the specs called for test units, and the RedEye is consistent with that.

Did rail cars 5013-5450 appear before the testing program for 5003-5012 was finished?

Do you think contractors (including Nova Bus or Axion) start producing before receiving notice to proceed? Of course there was New Flyer getting stuck for doing so.

• 2 weeks later...

Did 3379 get rehabbed already? I spotted it on the Brown Line with a destination sign just like that of the 5000 Series.

You should go back and read the thread. Prototype signs are being tested on 4 cars.

Maybe you can find the 4 cars where the prototype motor generators are being tested.

You should go back and read the thread. Prototype signs are being tested on 4 cars.

Maybe you can find the 4 cars where the prototype motor generators are being tested.

Prototype motor generators? They haven't rehabbed any motors yet, have they?

Prototype motor generators? They haven't rehabbed any motors yet, have they?

We also went through that. The motor generator set is what generates lower than 600 volt electricity for the control system and the vacuum cleaner outlet. Also, look above for the requisition for bill of materials.

Just saw my first brown line with 2400s SB at Fullerton: 9eIac.jpg

It was one that was going to Midway instead of the full loop, but I've still never seen those use 2400s.

That happens with Borange (Orange Line trains that also serve as Brown Line trains) trains, but only during AM rush periods.

The 2400s only serve the Orange Line.