3200-series - Updates

sw4400

Good question. At the moment, Midway yard is being beefed up with 2400s, which probably will be on their 27th retirement trip by then.

Since they were talking about 2015-2016 for the rehab project, the deliveries of 5000s will be done, and the only question then would be whether the Orange Line is receiving 5000s, or, in any event, the fleet will be so augmented that no one will miss the out of service cars. Also, if the Orange line is converted, where the rehabbed 3200s from it would go.

I would think the blue line, but if the Red line gets all #5000's, which it is reported they will, then they may have cars up to #5520-40. That only leaves enough cars to either totally equip the Orange line with #5000's(counting extra cars) and not the Purple line or to replace everything but the extra cars on the Orange and equip the Purple line then with #5000's. The second scenario would require the #3200's being the extra cars on the Orange line.

I personally don't see making #3200's spare cars, when the Blue line would run an entire fleet of #2600's, so I think the #2600's from the Red line will replace the Orange line #2400's and they then will become the Orange line spare cars. Then the blue line gets #3200's. This way the fleet seems more balanced.

• 2 months later...

Correct thread:

When they do the LED rehabs on the 3200's, my guess is that either 3457-3458 will both get the LED displays, or just 3457 and 3458(ex-3032) will be subsequently retired,...

The latest draft of the budget (page 58) says "The FY 2014‐2018 CIP will provide funding of $173.6 million for a multi‐year overhaul program to refurbish the 3200-Series and a select group of the 2600-Series rail cars. The 3200-Series consists of 258 rail cars, which are scheduled to receive an extensive overhaul and 100 of the 2600-Series cars will receive a life-extending overhaul."

I previously noted that the requisitions were for 261 set of upgrade kits.

Correct thread:

The latest draft of the budget (page 58) says "The FY 2014‐2018 CIP will provide funding of $173.6 million for a multi‐year overhaul program to refurbish the 3200-Series and a select group of the 2600-Series rail cars. The 3200-Series consists of 258 rail cars, which are scheduled to receive an extensive overhaul and 100 of the 2600-Series cars will receive a life-extending overhaul."

I previously noted that the requisitions were for 261 set of upgrade kits.

Yeah, I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the 2600s being somewhat spared for God knows how long. Why though?

Oh wow. I really forgot about that derailment but I didn't know about #3435-36 and #3351-52 was out of service. I don't know about the mismates of them with #3457 but I wouldn't be surprised if all off them including #3457-58 be retired or just #3457-58.

• Stay on topic.
  • Read above, They said they are rehabbing 258.

• 2 months later...

What is up with the seating layout on car 3300? It doesn't have any single seats like the rest of the 3200's. The layout is similar to a 2600. The poles that go from the seat to the ceiling curve to attach to where the anchor point would be if it were a single seat.

I've always found it odd.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just saw some 3200s on the brown line with LED signboards! I thought for a second that it was a 5000 consist but then I saw the number (33-something, didn't get the whole thing)! I didn't get a chance to get pictures but I'm probably going to stick around the brown line and try to spot them again.

I wonder what other changes they made to it from the list of planned rehab activities.

• Upvote 2

Use the correct thread, and read it:

I just saw some 3200s on the brown line with LED signboards! I thought for a second that it was a 5000 consist but then I saw the number (33-something, didn't get the whole thing)! I didn't get a chance to get pictures but I'm probably going to stick around the brown line and try to spot them again.

I wonder what other changes they made to it from the list of planned rehab activities.

A certain number of signs were supposed to be delivered for testing before proceeding with the bulk of the order.

As indicated above, there are similar contracts for HVAC and motor generator sets.

Use the correct thread, and read it:

A certain number of signs were supposed to be delivered for testing before proceeding with the bulk of the order.

As indicated above, there are similar contracts for HVAC and motor generator sets.

Well, #3379-80 are one of the candidates.

post-1364-0-98383400-1399677616_thumb.jp

post-1364-0-14473200-1399677625_thumb.jp

post-1364-0-28998200-1399677634_thumb.jp

post-1364-0-67356400-1399677644_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Well, #3379-80 are one of the candidates.

The signs seem kind of grainy.

Is my impression correct from the interior shots that the interior ones are the standard amber LEDs? I thought that the spec was that the signs were supposed to be the same inside and out.

Is my impression correct from the interior shots that the interior ones are the standard amber LEDs? I thought that the spec was that the signs were supposed to be the same inside and out.

That's the spec for the 7000s. Not sure if the same is the case for the 3200 rehab.

The signs seem kind of grainy.

Yes but there wasn't any indication except for the 7000s stating that they were to be inside and out. About them being grainy, my camera isn't that stable when it comes to capturing anything with LED. I probably have to take shots of them in a far distance.

Regarding the camera issues, it's an LED thing, and possibly a "digital shutter" thing. Many cellphones do not have physical shutters, so they use "digital shutters". I heard it has something to do with the frequency of the LEDs not lining up with the frequency of the shutter. Early videos of the R160 subway cars revealed this problem with cameras because their LED route indicators would have a rotating ring. I would probably look into changing the shutter speed, as Kevin suggested. I don't think it will harm anything.

My Sony video camera makes the CTA LED signs look funny to some extent. I also just got my iPhone 5S, so I will see if I can adjust the camera settings the next time I'm on the Green Line. With my DSLR, it's not a problem at all due to its physical shutter.

They must just be adding the signs. No one is reporting anything to me about #3200's at Skokie shops getting rehabbed. Unless they are really good at hiding them in the shops. :P Well that's good then, because after the cars get rehabbed they are not going to be around long. At least they get between 18-24 months more use out of the signs.

Keep in mind that that implies with the Orange Line also. I saw a slight glimpse of the LEDs last night. Couldn't take advantage by taking some shots because that was last Orange Line train to Midway while I was en route on the Brown Line (no updates of any other cars retrofitted).

Hopefully they will assign these rehabbed cars to the Blue Line! They need to get rid of the oldest 2600s! Its ridiculous that most of the cars of this series were sent to the Blue Line after the 2200 retirement so that the Red Line could be assigned the newest railcars!

Hopefully they will assign these rehabbed cars to the Blue Line! They need to get rid of the oldest 2600s! Its ridiculous that most of the cars of this series were sent to the Blue Line after the 2200 retirement so that the Red Line could be assigned the newest railcars!

Yea I agree, you would think they wouldve sent the 3200's over to the Blue Line by now considering they are already serving a airport at Midway lol the room needed for luggage would help the people out of O Hare the same as Midway and as a fan perspective it would be pretty cool to see the 3200's in service on a new line other than the same Brown And Orange line all they time. I mean heck the 2400's are on the Orange Line (which I think is cool) so why not the 3200's on the Blue esicially since they are switching to the LED signs. It's unfair to the passengers who ride that line daily.

• Upvote 3

Yea I agree, you would think they wouldve sent the 3200's over to the Blue Line by now considering they are already serving a airport at Midway lol the room needed for luggage would help the people out of O Hare the same as Midway and as a fan perspective it would be pretty cool to see the 3200's in service on a new line other than the same Brown And Orange line all they time. I mean heck the 2400's are on the Orange Line (which I think is cool) so why not the 3200's on the Blue esicially since they are switching to the LED signs. It's unfair to the passengers who ride that line daily.

Its upsetting that not just the everyday riders but the visitors flying into Chicago/OHare from other cities and countries are being greeted to our city by riding the CTAs oldest, beat up equipment. Of course these riders wont notice this because the cars all look identical. But many of us rail fans and fellow Chicagoans who follow up on this subject do see this. At the very least if were not due for new equipment, CTA should make at least half the Blue Line roster equipped with 3200 series cars so that its a fair and just equal distribution of equipment. I think CTA is very unfair in its equipment assignment! You have two north/nw side rail lines operating the oldest equipment in the fleet! All of the equipment on the Blue are at or around the 30 to 35 year mark! By adding the oldest 2600 series cars is just insulting!!! The Brown line have the second oldest railcars in the fleet! All other CTA rail lines have less older or the newest equipment!

Considering I've had delays concerning defective equipment every other day in the last week... I'm shocked they haven't done away with the 2600's yet.

Considering I've had delays concerning defective equipment every other day in the last week... I'm shocked they haven't done away with the 2600's yet.

So, (1) what do you replace the 2600s with on Blue and (2) what's the corresponding move for equipment that gets shifted to the Blue? I hate to say it, but unless that move happens with the continuing arrival of the 5000s, I don't know what you'd send over to the Blue.

• Upvote 1

So, (1) what do you replace the 2600s with on Blue and (2) what's the corresponding move for equipment that gets shifted to the Blue? I hate to say it, but unless that move happens with the continuing arrival of the 5000s, I don't know what you'd send over to the Blue.

Therein lies the problem: You don't have anything to replace while the 32's are being rehabbed (and not enough 5000's to make up the difference--still a ways out from getting to 706). You're certainly not going to move the 2400's either while they are already in use.

So unless you get all 706 50's cars in, and wait until all 258 32's are completed...