3200-series - Updates

sw4400

Just saw my first brown line with 2400s SB at Fullerton: 9eIac.jpg

It was one that was going to Midway instead of the full loop, but I've still never seen those use 2400s.

I've seen 2400's on the Brown Line before. Back in the day when they were Ravenstons(Evanston + Ravenswood) and the Brownage(Brown + Orange Line). Brownage is the only extra train used now... I think the Ravenston has been eliminated, but only a consistent Brown Line early a.m rider would know for sure.

That happens with Borange (Orange Line trains that also serve as Brown Line trains) trains, but only during AM rush periods.

The 2400s only serve the Orange Line.

You were close.... but it's Brownage. Borange sounds like Borat + Orange. :D "Kazakhstan is next. In direction of travel, door opens where Borat says they open!"

• 3 months later...

Well, here you go... CTA green lighted the rehabs on the 3200-Series yesterday, though even the press mentioned about the price to overhaul as extensively as they are getting only to be scrapped in about eight years may not be worth it. Overhaul info includes...

• LED Lighting and Destination Signage
  • Renewed Heating and A/C Units
  • New Auxiliary Power Supply
  • All Propulsion Systems, Doors and Motors Replaced

Total pricetag to extend the life of all 257(3458-ex 3032 will not be a part of this rehab) is $166 million.

Story

Honestly, just for eight years additional service, they could've just kept the fluorescent lighting and Mylar curtains. That alone for the 257 units is probably a few million right there. Also, one unit will be the odd one out when 3458 is retired. Will 3457 be re-paired with 3351 or 3352, 3435 or 3436, or will it be the odd car out?

Well, here you go... CTA green lighted the rehabs on the 3200-Series yesterday, though even the press mentioned about the price to overhaul as extensively as they are getting only to be scrapped in about eight years may not be worth it. Overhaul info includes...

Total pricetag to extend the life of all 257(3458-ex 3032 will not be a part of this rehab) is $166 million.

Story

Honestly, just for eight years additional service, they could've just kept the fluorescent lighting and Mylar curtains. That alone for the 257 units is probably a few million right there. Also, one unit will be the odd one out when 3458 is retired. Will 3457 be re-paired with 3351 or 3352, 3435 or 3436, or will it be the odd car out?

I don't believe they'll be gone in 8yrs cause it really would be pointless for the rehab if that's the case even though cta did say that. But I seriously doubt that'll actually happen who knows how long it will be until the 7000 series actually staring rolling in. I personally believe the 3200's will be here longer than 8yrs I'll give them 15 extra years before they're gone lol. Cta historically has never retired they're equipment on time for whatever reason that may be.
  • Upvote 4

I don't believe they'll be gone in 8yrs cause it really would be pointless for the rehab if that's the case even though cta did say that. But I seriously doubt that'll actually happen who knows how long it will be until the 7000 series actually staring rolling in. I personally believe the 3200's Willie here longer than 8yrs I'll give them 15 extra years before they're gone lol. Cta historically has never retired they're equipment on time for whatever reason that may be.

I agree.

DH

I don't believe they'll be gone in 8yrs cause it really would be pointless for the rehab if that's the case even though cta did say that. But I seriously doubt that'll actually happen who knows how long it will be until the 7000 series actually staring rolling in. I personally believe the 3200's Willie here longer than 8yrs I'll give them 15 extra years before they're gone lol. Cta historically has never retired they're equipment on time for whatever reason that may be.

I've noted before that there was an inconsistency between this being a 10 year rehab and the schedule in the original 7000s specs for replacing the 3200s, and even the news report when the requisition was withdrawn that that would set the procurement back 3 years doesn't cure that. One has to wonder how essential CTA staff now thinks the 7000s are, especially given the projected bloat if, after the 714 5000s are received, CTA retains the 400 2600s and 256 3200s, as frequently stated with respect to the 7000s.

But as far as predicting what CTA will do, I'm not going to bother. For instance, the rehabs that resulted in 61-65 didn't last their service life, but that was a trivial number of cars.

Amen to that mate!

I don't believe they'll be gone in 8yrs cause it really would be pointless for the rehab if that's the case even though cta did say that. But I seriously doubt that'll actually happen who knows how long it will be until the 7000 series actually staring rolling in. I personally believe the 3200's will be here longer than 8yrs I'll give them 15 extra years before they're gone lol. Cta historically has never retired they're equipment on time for whatever reason that may be.

Yes! Good input! Any reason to keep the 3200s around longer.

Story

At least they won't replace the seats as they first talked about to make them like the 5000s, which all but a few fools hate.

I avoid the Red Line as much as possible now due to the rotten seating.

• 2 weeks later...

At least they won't replace the seats as they first talked about to make them like the 5000s, which all but a few fools hate.

I avoid the Red Line as much as possible now due to the rotten seating.

I don't understand what the problem is with the new seating. I hate having to climb over people's stuff while the train is jerkily stopping at a station on the 2600s and 3200s...simply being able to stand straight up and walk to the door on the 5000s seems better in every way. A compromise would be half seating like the 5000s and half seating like most of the 3200s, where there's one forward-facing seat without another one next to it.

I don't understand what the problem is with the new seating. I hate having to climb over people's stuff while the train is jerkily stopping at a station on the 2600s and 3200s...simply being able to stand straight up and walk to the door on the 5000s seems better in every way. A compromise would be half seating like the 5000s and half seating like most of the 3200s, where there's one forward-facing seat without another one next to it.

<begin rant>

It is nice to be able to stand straight up and move toward the door. One problem is that the functional width of a pair of "bowling alley" seats is more narrow than that of a pair or seats facing the end of the car[because the person next to the aisle can "spill" into it]. It would not be as bad if we riders weighed (on average) what we did 40 years ago. Presently the seating on the 5Ks can be uncomfortable when the car is crowded. I love the performance of the 5Ks but don't like the seating.

Additionally, the open space for the wheelchair station allows more cold air to blow in when the weather is bad.

<end of rant>

IMHO the seating of the 5Ks is a symptom of a larger issue concerning CTA buses and trains.

As I view it (from my experience as a rider and the historical items I have seen and read) the CTA is primarily focused on cost

reduction vs rider comfort. We get new buses with fewer seats and railcars with uncomfortable seat layouts. As a taxpayer I might be willing to pay more for comfort. If you won't go to a standard bus length of 45ft or run more artics how about more 40 footers? If CTA operated more trains maybe we wouldn't have to be packed in like sardines. :D

Just my $0.02.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so has anybody seen the partially-rehabbed cars on the Brown Line? 3379-3380 I believe. I saw 3207-3208 on the orange line yesterday, but I haven't been able to find 3379-80 for over a month and I ride the brown line every day.

There aren't any partially rehabbed cars yet, just tests for the prototype components (and I'm sure this is for the 4 with the electronic signs).

There aren't any partially rehabbed cars yet, just tests for the prototype components (and I'm sure this is for the 4 with the electronic signs).

I guess I just considered the LED signs as "partial rehab" because it's one of the most noticeable changes to the cars, at least to the general public.

Okay, so has anybody seen the partially-rehabbed cars on the Brown Line? 3379-3380 I believe. I saw 3207-3208 on the orange line yesterday, but I haven't been able to find 3379-80 for over a month and I ride the brown line every day.

I'm assuming they are still at Skokie Shops. (3rd picture down in that post)

http://forum.chicagobus.org/topic/3525-cta-92-year-old-historical-cars-ran-saturday-sept-13/?p=64302

I'm assuming they are still at Skokie Shops. (3rd picture down in that post)

http://forum.chicagobus.org/topic/3525-cta-92-year-old-historical-cars-ran-saturday-sept-13/?p=64302

Oh...weird. Why were they moved for the rodeo? Also, quite an ironic run number for not being able to find the cars on the brown line (404 Not Found)

Since BusHunter sent me into the ordinances, CT Board just authorized the contract for the parts (Sept. 10 meeting).

Yeah I was going to post that but you beat me to it. Contract goes to Gray Manufacturing of Missouri that specializes in rail car remanufactured parts. So is it safe to assume they may start soon rehabbing the #3200's, like this Winter/Spring?

BTW, there was also an ordinance there to lease concession space at California/Blue line to Gateway Newstands when it reopens. As I'm not a regular commuter of that stop, I forget if there was a concession there or not before or is that based on a stationhouse expansion? They surely have the room to do that there.

Yeah I was going to post that but you beat me to it. Contract goes to Gray Manufacturing of Missouri that specializes in rail car remanufactured parts. So is it safe to assume they may start soon rehabbing the #3200's, like this Winter/Spring?

The impression I got from various announcements was that deliveries of 5000s would have to be completed first. There is also the question how long the one year testing of prototypes for the signs, motor generator sets and HVAC has yet to go.

Anybody in the loop right now? I just saw what may have been 3379-3380 stopped at the outer loop platform at Library. The entire train had Not In Service signs, two of which were LEDs. It had its doors open at Library but played the Doors Closing sound and closed them while my purple line was stopped. Evening Brownage? Equipment move between orange and brown? Newly-equipped cars with LED signs testing (other than the 4 we know of)?

Anybody in the loop right now? I just saw what may have been 3379-3380 stopped at the outer loop platform at Library. The entire train had Not In Service signs, two of which were LEDs. It had its doors open at Library but played the Doors Closing sound and closed them while my purple line was stopped. Evening Brownage? Equipment move between orange and brown? Newly-equipped cars with LED signs testing (other than the 4 we know of)?

3379-3380 are in the Brown Line group of 'L' cars, so unless they're being tested(possibility), they should be assigned there(especially since other cars were paired with them). As far as other cars being newly-equipped with the LED's, the parts are only being procured at this time as the rehabs will begin in 2015. I don't know how they're going to phase them out of service and substitute for the missing cars, unless they only take like 6-8 at a time. Otherwise, something will have to fill the gap between missing cars.

3379-3380 are in the Brown Line group of 'L' cars, so unless they're being tested(possibility), they should be assigned there(especially since other cars were paired with them). As far as other cars being newly-equipped with the LED's, the parts are only being procured at this time as the rehabs will begin in 2015. I don't know how they're going to phase them out of service and substitute for the missing cars, unless they only take like 6-8 at a time. Otherwise, something will have to fill the gap between missing cars.

379-380 haven't been in service for over a month. Somebody said they were up at Skokie during the rodeo...not sure why, but I definitely saw some LED signs at HWL. I'm not sure why the train was Not In Service nor why its doors opened as if it was a service stop.

... I don't know how they're going to phase them out of service and substitute for the missing cars, unless they only take like 6-8 at a time. Otherwise, something will have to fill the gap between missing cars.

Since CTA is up to something like 1360 cars from the former 1190 (and most of the 5000s will be in by then) that doesn't seem to be a problem. The constraint probably is the capacity of Skokie Shops, as opposed to hauling 40 cars at a time to Alstom when the 2600s were rebuilt around 2000.

My first sentence may make me reappraise whether the Orange Line will get 5000s, but I don't think permanently.

379-380 haven't been in service for over a month. Somebody said they were up at Skokie during the rodeo...not sure why, but I definitely saw some LED signs at HWL. I'm not sure why the train was Not In Service nor why its doors opened as if it was a service stop.

Briman94 from my observation there are evening Brownage runs I don't think there are a lot of Orange line equipment loaned compared to the am Brownage runs. So far all I see is one full set. They only way I know is from the 700 run number.

To follow up with this, my roommate was apparently on this train last night as I passed it. It was a brown line that was having mechanical problems and cut its run short at Library. He confirmed that the first two did have LED signs, so I guess 3379-3380 are back down from Skokie and in service again. Not sure why they were at Skokie for so long, but next time I'm on them I'll look for any changes.