Red Line South Bus Shuttles

jtrosario

As much as the project is a necessary evil, there's always a way to get to where you need to. Even when I lived in Uptown during the brown line project (apples to oranges, I know), my goal was to avoid the NSM by all costs by using the Express buses. the advantage from a planning point, is that you always have the grid to give you help. It might be a pain in the butt, but at least you can still connect the dots (unlike the suburbs, or any smaller-ish city)...

/of course, then traffic becomes a messed up variable...

The CTA's grid system certainly makes it easier to plan alternatives, at least when compared to a hub and spoke system in most Eastern U.S. systems (Philadelphia, Washington, Boston, etc.).

I agree that it's an inconvenient policy, but at the same time, you also have liability issues that could potentially arise if passengers were allowed to board or alight at an unauthorized stop. I'm not disagreeing with your point, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

Besides that, they are portrayed as free express buses. If people want to ride free, they can be at the correct stop. Also, they aren't express if the stop at the traffic light is extended by people boarding. The passengers who boarded properly shouldn't be inconvenienced.

• Upvote 3

All in all though, it's still a good thing that people are using available alternatives within the system itself at all over just throwing their hands up and saying screw it I'm not riding the CTA right now. As for that other debate, until CTA stops looking at their riders as a loss when their very existence is based upon transporting riders from point A to point B they will find themselves trapped in a cycle of making questionable decisions that keep them in a hole.

Besides that, they are portrayed as free express buses. If people want to ride free, they can be at the correct stop. Also, they aren't express if the stop at the traffic light is extended by people boarding. The passengers who boarded properly shouldn't be inconvenienced.

I agree that it's an inconvenient policy, but at the same time, you also have liability issues that could potentially arise if passengers were allowed to board or alight at an unauthorized stop. I'm not disagreeing with your point, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

Thanks to the response from both of you. Yes I understand that it is a free, express, bus shuttle. It is rather discouraging to see people consistently turned away, but policy is policy.

The Red Eye has a humorous read here http://redeyechicago.com/news/local/ct-red-going-public061813-20130617,0,7431897.story in which they state riders are "flocking" to the Red line at Garfield. Maybe the Red Eye thinks it can drum up more riders for CTA. :lol: They do state though that there have been crimes committed along the southern branch of the Green line/ (which is now the) Red line, so maybe riders are concerned for their safety. I myself am wondering how the shuttles are making out on the Ryan in the rush hour. If the traffic's always backed up/congested then they are no further ahead than when they had the Red line slow zones.

The Red Eye has a humorous read here http://redeyechicago.com/news/local/ct-red-going-public061813-20130617,0,7431897.story in which they state riders are "flocking" to the Red line at Garfield. Maybe the Red Eye thinks it can drum up more riders for CTA. :lol: They do state though that there have been crimes committed along the southern branch of the Green line/ (which is now the) Red line, so maybe riders are concerned for their safety. I myself am wondering how the shuttles are making out on the Ryan in the rush hour. If the traffic's always backed up/congested then they are no further ahead than when they had the Red line slow zones.

Sometimes traffic is hit or miss in the rush hour. I'd say Fridays are usually the day when it becomes a HUGE issue for the shuttles

Sometimes traffic is hit or miss in the rush hour. I'd say Fridays are usually the day when it becomes a HUGE issue for the shuttles

The other thing in that article was that ridership was up on most of the south side bus lines, indicating that some people prefer those to the R buses, which others here have said but she didn't.

And, as far as additional entries beyond Garfield, well those from the 8A can't enter at 79th, and those on 63 have to enter at a 63rd St. station.

For as much advanced notice that the CTA has given; and of course the media overhyping and misreporting such news, everyone has been warned one way or the other. The ambassadors serve as a "here's a personal reminder that your line is being shutdown," and if that's made in advance, then the public should take heed of it.

Even with "as much advanced notice", you still run into that floating crowd of oblivious ridership that there was no advanced warning, news segment, articles, or flyers at stations explaining anything or that it was going to happen at all. A few years ago, as much notice went out that the Purple Line would be suspended between Howard and Linden on weekends to replace Evanston's viaducts, the "oblivious crowd" claimed no idea dispite flyers everywhere on buses and at stations.

Then again, some of the information at even the busiest stations gets posted where no one is going to think of reading it anyhow.

• Upvote 2

I went to the Sox game last night, and on green line afterward, was next to an out-of-towner in for the series against the Mets. She was staying somewhere a couple blocks from the Grand Red Line station. Her hotel told her to take a bus to the loop, and transfer to the green line. I didn't pay attention to which bus, and I don't know where she was staying, so I suppose that might have been less of a walk than walking to Grand, and taking the one seat ride to the park. But that wasn't their reason. That was 'the red line doesn't go south anymore'. I told her to transfer to the red, and to take the red tonight.

I went to the Sox game last night, and on green line afterward, was next to an out-of-towner in for the series against the Mets. She was staying somewhere a couple blocks from the Grand Red Line station. Her hotel told her to take a bus to the loop, and transfer to the green line. I didn't pay attention to which bus, and I don't know where she was staying, so I suppose that might have been less of a walk than walking to Grand, and taking the one seat ride to the park. But that wasn't their reason. That was 'the red line doesn't go south anymore'. I told her to transfer to the red, and to take the red tonight.

What do they know? Most don't use the system and a lot of people that work downtown live in the suburbs. Concierge's main concern is to help navigate guests around downtown, especially near the hotel, and to book reservations for restaurants, airport rides, etc.

Apparently CTA replied to my message about the Dan Ryan Shuttles Timetables & None will be published & exists. It's kinda of obscene that none would be published ( even as an online version), but to each it's own

That doesn't surprise me, as it's supposed to be a "load and go" operation regardless of schedule. You just leave and hope you're not stuck in traffic.

• Upvote 1

That doesn't surprise me, as it's supposed to be a "load and go" operation regardless of schedule. You just leave and hope you're not stuck in traffic.

That's how most transit authorities will run a bus bridge, especially New York, Philly, DC... Is it frustrating not having a set timetable? Yes. Is that an uncommon practice? Not necessarily.

Did you mean take a Red line train directly? I don't understand why a transfer is required from the Grand Red line station to 35th/Bronzeville/IIT.

Did you mean take a Red line train directly? I don't understand why a transfer is required from the Grand Red line station to 35th/Bronzeville/IIT.

As he pointed out, another person with the misinformation that the Red Line doesn't run south.

We were leaving the stadium, and were already on a Green line; she needed to get to Grand. I meant 'take the red line from your hotel for the next game'.

I'm actually sort of surprised (well, not really....) that there was no 'Take the Red Line to the Sox!' advertising campaign.

I'm actually sort of surprised (well, not really....) that there was no 'Take the Red Line to the Sox!' advertising campaign.

They aren't drawing with the $5 kiddie tickets, $1 hot dogs, etc. That happens when you are in last place and have no hope.

BTW, parking is also reduced to $10.

That might be because there was no "L" service outside of the cell this year, then the crosstown classic was during the week!! :huh: What's wrong with MLB? :rolleyes:

That might be because there was no "L" service outside of the cell this year, then the crosstown classic was during the week!! :huh: What's wrong with MLB? :rolleyes:

OT, but apparently that was part of the only collective bargaining agreement that didn't need a lockout. Other teams (including the Cubs) didn't like that, for instance, St. Louis got 6 gimmees against Kansas City. So, there were 2 home and homes back to back (except for the rain).

Look at the positive a Chicago team won :lol:

There is the opposite effect, too. Last year there was some contest in which you won a pizza or something if both Chicago teams won on the same day. While the odds of that were low, there were 6 days when there was no chance.

This appears to get its first real test today. Traffic reports are that due to a fatal accident, the northbound express lanes are closed, backing up traffic well down to the Bishop Ford and I-57, with at least a 55 minute travel time from 95th.

I suppose that the buses should have gotten the message to stay off.

This appears to get its first real test today. Traffic reports are that due to a fatal accident, the northbound express lanes are closed, backing up traffic well down to the Bishop Ford and I-57, with at least a 55 minute travel time from 95th.

I suppose that the buses should have gotten the message to stay off.

Well, last few times I've been on shuttles that would get on the Dan Ryan but hop off as soon as traffic gets heavy.