METRA Locomotive Wish List

buslist

33 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I know you were only linking to the YouTube posted by Metra, but, in general, since they painted it, why didn't they paint it in Metra colors?

Metra is apparantly really short on power. If I understand correctly from looking at other forum topics & Metra documentation, 5 were painted this way to get them in service as quick as possible (although, judging by the recent topic, that has sort of backfired) and the other 16? are not yet in service, awaiting full paint jobs.

https://metrarail.com/sites/default/files/assets/about-metra/leadership/board_meetings/20180912/13_board_presentation_-_rolling_stock_procurement_update_-final.pdf

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Metra is apparantly really short on power. If I understand correctly from looking at other forum topics & Metra documentation, 5 were painted this way to get them in service as quick as possible (although, judging by the recent topic, that has sort of backfired) and the other 16? are not yet in service, awaiting full paint jobs.

https://metrarail.com/sites/default/files/assets/about-metra/leadership/board_meetings/20180912/13_board_presentation_-_rolling_stock_procurement_update_-final.pdf

You didn't really answer the question, but the comments on the YouTube page may have:

The initial six locomotives received an express paint job instead of the full Metra fade motif in order to get them into service as quickly as possible.

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

You didn't really answer the question, but the comments on the YouTube page may have:

The initial six locomotives received an express paint job instead of the full Metra fade motif in order to get them into service as quickly as possible.

These basically say the same thing?

On 1/13/2019 at 4:40 PM, trainman8119 said:

Wow, they actually got it out there !!!. The 405 junk wouldn't air up on the inaugural trip at Grayslake. It has

been said that 405 is probably the worst MP36 they could have wrapped in terms of performance.

Then this pair (73-405) crapped out at Bensenville on Friday afternoon and had to be dragged back downtown.

Also, the F59PHIs have not been doing too well on their passenger trips. They have crapped out twice already, the first on

the curve across Canal Street on its initial trip.

That's the hangup with new equipment. You basically have to work out the kinks. But these are used engines and that makes one wonder if they were working why the former agency sold them. Usually you sell something for a reason. They need to run them with the other engines to see if they do experience problems. Why you would put used unproven engines on the road alone seems to boggle the mind but if they are as desperate for equipment as is alluded to here that explains it. 

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

makes one wonder if they were working why the former agency sold them.

If you had read the postings, it was because the state got a grant to convert it to high speed rail and got Chargers for Amtrak. No mystery there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

But these are used engines and that makes one wonder if they were working why the former agency sold them. Usually you sell something for a reason. 

Caltrans got 22 shiny new Siemens Chargers, which seem poised replace the P42DC to become the next commuter and long-haul passenger locomotive for the US. They only needed 15 to operate the Pacific Surfliner, so they have a surplus in case of emergencies. This way, they made a little more money. What I can't figure out is if they were rehabbed during their time in California.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to run 91 before the storm.

Its nice from a comfort standpoint. Quiet and ride smooth. 

They load slow...slower than the 400s.

For now, they are a little hard to stop because of how the brake handle is set up.

There are currently 2 or 3 operating on their own. A new batch will run as double headers when they are finished being converted.

The only truly good thing about 405 (the Pumpkin) is the heat. Loads and runs super slow.

In response to the comment on the 400s being trailers. They are a little more reliable right now than 100s. That is why you see

so many FP59s paired with them.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

So is this the beginning of the end for approximately 100-135? 21 ex Amtrak, 15 ex BNSF.

Should be 150-173 first as the only F40PH-2 not to have been rebuilt by Progressive to F40PH-3. After that the oldest F40PH-3 r/b from 2009 and 2010 are 100-123.

There are also another 3 F59PH on order from Progressive. They were bought last October. the 21 F59PHI and 3 F59PH just about covers 150-173.

On 2/20/2019 at 2:48 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

I just saw this. These will be interesting. Does Metra not have the funds to just acquire new locomotives?

It is a choice. In the RFP announced in January 2018 they wanted either 12 new or 15 re-manufactured locomotives. Apparently the later came in cheaper and gave them more locos.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 4:41 PM, busfan2847 said:

Should be 150-173 first as the only F40PH-2 not to have been rebuilt by Progressive to F40PH-3. After that the oldest F40PH-3 r/b from 2009 and 2010 are 100-123.

There are also another 3 F59PH on order from Progressive. They were bought last October. the 21 F59PHI and 3 F59PH just about covers 150-173.

Will these ever go on the UP-NW and N lines? Last time I did some research there was talk about the MP36 being to heavy for the bridges on that line. Will this be a factor with the new freight train locomotives?

25 minutes ago, richii0909 said:

Will these ever go on the UP-NW and N lines? Last time I did some research there was talk about the MP36 being to heavy for the bridges on that line. Will this be a factor with the new freight train locomotives?

Pretty sure those freight locomotives are heavier than the MP36s

13 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Well on the UP North line, I have seen freight depart waukegan but they usually head down to lake bluff and switch off to what I call the freight route. If you google mp36 and up north line there was some chatter about this.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:01 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Once the UP-N bridge replacement has been finished the UP lines should be able to take any Metra loco. UP-NW bridges have already been replaced and I think UP-W bridges can already take the weight. As UP uses a common pool of locos and some trains come in on one line and go out on another until all \bridges have been rebuilt on all lines only lighter engines can be used.

10 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

Once the UP-N bridge replacement has been finished the UP lines should be able to take any Metra loco. UP-NW bridges have already been replaced and I think UP-W bridges can already take the weight. As UP uses a common pool of locos and some trains come in on one line and go out on another until all \bridges have been rebuilt on all lines only lighter engines can be used.

The W bridges can't,  otherwise they would already have newer locos.

4 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The W bridges can't,  otherwise they would already have newer locos.

No. UP lines are run by a common pool of locos. They do not restrict locos to individual lines so if one line cannot take heavier locos no lines are allowed to.

They rebuilt UP-NW bridges in the 2000s by your logic UP-NW should have newer locos and it dos not.

20 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

No. UP lines are run by a common pool of locos. They do not restrict locos to individual lines so if one line cannot take heavier locos no lines are allowed to.

They rebuilt UP-NW bridges in the 2000s by your logic UP-NW should have newer locos and it dos not.

You just said the UP lines share locos.  Therefore, by your logic, if one UP line can't run newer locos, no UP line will run them.  UP West bridges through Oak Park and River Forest haven't been rebuilt.    Those bridges also share CTA Green Line trackage.

10 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

You just said the UP lines share locos.  Therefore, by your logic, if one UP line can't run newer locos, no UP line will run them.  UP West bridges through Oak Park and River Forest haven't been rebuilt.    Those bridges also share CTA Green Line trackage.

Yes that is what I am saying. If one line cannot take heavier locos no line will (not newer) because there is interworking of trains between lines. For instance

#602 on UPNW goes out as #303 on UPN                

#640 on UPNW goes out as #35 on UPW

I did not say they had been replaced as they are doing on the UP-N now and on the UP-NW in the 2000s. However, the line through Oak Park and River Forest takes heavy freight trains every day so must be able to heavier Metra locos without any rebuilding. The bridges must have been upgraded to take heavier traffic, unlike UP-N or UP-NW. UP-N has no freight traffic and UP-NW minimal (occasional trip working out of North Ave yard). All of the lines were grade separated during the last 10 years on the 19th Century or the first 30 years of the 20th.

As I remember, when the MP36s came in, the UP told Metra they didn't want them, period. It wasn't bridges but they were

too big and heavy for the coach yards. Now this stuff they are getting again, there will be issues. For example, they won't be

allowed in Antioch because 6 axle locomotives are not allowed in the Antioch coach yard. So, my guess is the bean counters

ordered the stuff without seeing where or how they can be used. Once the FP59s are in service, the UP is supposed to get 

any remaining running F40s will be sent there, and the rest will be scrap. BTW, 215 is being cannibalized and will soon be headed

for the scrapper.

1 hour ago, trainman8119 said:

As I remember, when the MP36s came in, the UP told Metra they didn't want them, period. It wasn't bridges but they were

too big and heavy for the coach yards. Now this stuff they are getting again, there will be issues. For example, they won't be

allowed in Antioch because 6 axle locomotives are not allowed in the Antioch coach yard. So, my guess is the bean counters

ordered the stuff without seeing where or how they can be used. Once the FP59s are in service, the UP is supposed to get 

any remaining running F40s will be sent there, and the rest will be scrap. BTW, 215 is being cannibalized and will soon be headed

for the scrapper.

This seems like the better explanation.  Thank you.  However the Oak Park and River Forest bridges are in dire need of repair with the Harlem  Ave bridge being the worst.