#94, South California Bus Stop Sign, Unexpected

TaylorTank1229

The apparent one is that instead of turning around in Marquette Park, it goes to the 74th garage, which probably also indicates that it will be run out of the 74th garage, or at least use the same turnaround as #75.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't look like the hours were markedly changed. It is on the list of routes with new schedules effective March 30, but that list doesn't have an asterisk for a major change in hours.

I See, But Why Travel On 69th Between Western and Damen, Other Than Take A Straight Shot On 71st From California To Damen? Makes A Bit More Sense. Plus How You Comment On Other People's Comments? Idk How To Do That.

On the last, hit the "quote" button on the post you want to quote. You can collect several quotes using the "multiquote" button, and you can edit a quote, but you can't edit someone else's post.

The railroad track precludes 74th, but I'm not sure about 71st. Maybe that crossing is blocked more often than 69th, or there is some reason to follow the #67 routing.

On the last, hit the "quote" button on the post you want to quote. You can collect several quotes using the "multiquote" button, and you can edit a quote, but you can't edit someone else's post. The railroad track precludes 74th, but I'm not sure about 71st. Maybe that crossing is blocked more often than 69th, or there is some reason to follow the #67 routing.

I See. Guess It Makes Transfers Between Buses A Little More Simpler. Does Any Other Routes Gunna Have Changes To Their Routing?

• Upvote 1

On the last, hit the "quote" button on the post you want to quote. You can collect several quotes using the "multiquote" button, and you can edit a quote, but you can't edit someone else's post.

The railroad track precludes 74th, but I'm not sure about 71st. Maybe that crossing is blocked more often than 69th, or there is some reason to follow the #67 routing.

Isn't 71st a grade crossing and 69th a viaduct? They probably don't want to get trained. I know alot of riders do go east at 71st/Cal. but an all day run to 74th garage? I think it's more about serving 69th/71st then about going to the garage and they need a terminal somewhere to go to.

I saw this earlier today at the Western Orange Line station. Nothing about any changes to this route on the cta website, yet. But seems this bus route gunna have a change in its route soon.

Isn't 71st a grade crossing and 69th a viaduct? They probably don't want to get trained. I know alot of riders do go east at 71st/Cal. but an all day run to 74th garage? I think it's more about serving 69th/71st then about going to the garage and they need a terminal somewhere to go to.

Well this would make my commute more smooth and convenient when I go visiting my girlfriend and daughter during the weekday mornings. 69th has a long viaduct and 71st has a grade crossing consisting of 3 tracks. It makes a lot of sense to have #94 operate to 74th/Damen via 69th because there are too many bottle necked trains between two power housed railroads companies that blocked 71st a lot in which the railroad is owned by Union Pacific but it shares with Northfolk Southern. Another factor is both of them have to wait for other trains to go by (crosstracks/junction near 74th in which that railroad is owned by Northfolk Southern but shares with CSX). Also, there are two yards (near Marquette Road and near 76th).

I saw this earlier today at the Western Orange Line station. Nothing about any changes to this route on the cta website, yet. But seems this bus route gunna have a change in its route soon.

I think this is more about trying to connect with the #75 than running to the 74th Street Garage if in fact they are changing the south terminus come spring pick, as the 75 has its west terminus turnaround at 74th/Damen and the garage itself is about 1.5 to 2 blocks east of that point at 1815 W. Damen which would be Wood/Damen. Funny how a couple of posts got just on the edge of that particular benefit and still managed to pretty much overlook it.

Well this would make my commute more smooth and convenient when I go visiting my girlfriend and daughter during the weekday mornings. 69th has a long viaduct and 71st has a grade crossing consisting of 3 tracks. It makes a lot of sense to have #94 operate to 74th/Damen via 69th because there are too many bottle necked trains between two power housed railroads companies that blocked 71st a lot in which the railroad is owned by Union Pacific but it shares with Northfolk Southern. Another factor is both of them have to wait for other trains to go by (crosstracks/junction near 74th in which that railroad is owned by Northfolk Southern but shares with CSX). Also, there are two yards (near Marquette Road and near 76th).

Your explanation of why route the 94 via 69th rather than 71st makes sense pretty much explains why the 67 doesn't operate on 71st until it's west of Western. The explanations of trying to ease connections with the 67 I wasn't buying as much since the route currently already has easy connections with the 67.

I think this is more about trying to connect with the #75 than running to the 74th Street Garage if in fact they are changing the south terminus come spring pick, as the 75 has its west terminus turnaround at 74th/Damen and the garage itself is about 1.5 to 2 blocks east of that point at 1815 W. Damen which would be Wood/Damen. Funny how a couple of posts got just on the edge of that particular benefit and still managed to pretty much overlook it.

Your explanation of why route the 94 via 69th rather than 71st makes sense pretty much explains why the 67 doesn't operate on 71st until it's west of Western. The explanations of trying to ease connections with the 67 I wasn't buying as much since the route currently already has easy connections with the 67.

Checking maps, I agree that it isn't using the garage for that purpose, but there is some reason why 74th/Damen is better than turning around in Marquette Park. I bet more that they don't want to be in Marquette Park than that they want to make some connection. I wonder how many people from 74th/75th are going to be more convenienced on their way to jury duty at 26th and California? :lol:

As far as 67, while people point out the viaduct at 69th, I'm sure the real reason for 67's routing goes back to streetcar days.

Checking maps, I agree that it isn't using the garage for that purpose, but there is some reason why 74th/Damen is better than turning around in Marquette Park. I bet more that they don't want to be in Marquette Park than that they want to make some connection. I wonder how many people from 74th/75th are going to be more convenienced on their way to jury duty at 26th and California? :lol:

As far as 67, while people point out the viaduct at 69th, I'm sure the real reason for 67's routing goes back to streetcar days.

True with the 67, but as for connecting the 94 with the 75, all joking aside, I could see maybe not wanting to be in Marquette Park, but Cook County Jail is not the main or only reason anyone uses the 94. You got two big hospitals that are along the route for example that have employees who need to get between work and home and don't necessarily own cars. Plus you got Kelly High School and a good number of other schools on or near that route with students that do need to make it home.So I think we get a little carried away with the 26th and California jokes whenever we mention the 94. What's next? Juvenile Detention Center jokes whenever the 12 is brought up?

• Upvote 2

Better to just take the 'L" to the courthouse, the #94 just does too much zigzagging. With the #94 doing east west travel twice on the south side to connect with stuff it overall slows the route down. That's what Pace does that really slows down a service. It may add service and connections for others but overall takes away from overall main line commute. I bet more people will choose the #49 over this for a cross town commute, I know I would. Then you have to figure the time lost for back and forth travel. Really the only reason to ride the #94 on the south end is to connect with the #75.

Better to just take the 'L" to the courthouse, the #94 just does too much zigzagging. With the #94 doing east west travel twice on the south side to connect with stuff it overall slows the route down. That's what Pace does that really slows down a service. It may add service and connections for others but overall takes away from overall main line commute. I bet more people will choose the #49 over this for a cross town commute, I know I would. Then you have to figure the time lost for back and forth travel. Really the only reason to ride the #94 on the south end is to connect with the #75.

Perhaps but one thing that's ignored in your post is that not everyone who uses a bus route is traveling from one end to the other and therefore traveling over most or the whole portion of the route. Not only that neither dent in straight line of the 94, if it is actually going to get extended to 74/Damen is what I would call a huge zigzag especially when you compare the new structure to say the 44 or the 95E. You got the one diversion to Western between 47th and 51st to connect to the Orange Line which I'm sure #94 riders don't look at as all that much of a sacrifice when a good number of them still may hop on the Orange Line at some point even if they don't for that particular trip. And you may have a zigzag to connect to the 75 but if that extension proves successful, which there is a possibility it might given the only direct CTA connection from the 75 at that point is the weekday rush hour only 48, I'm sure anyone riding that portion would rather have the extra 2 block jump northward to 69th to pass the railroads underneath the underpass than get stuck at the railroad crossings along 71st Street.

It certainly looks like a change is a comin', the question is why? I suppose a direct connection to Holy Cross Hospital from the east could be one reason, whether connecting from Western, 69th or 75th buses. It could also be an interline between the 75th route and 94 S California. At least there will be 5 blocks on Damen that will have more than just rush hour service. If nothing else, the 94 will now have a direct relief point (at 74th) at the least or become a pull out/in route. Somehow I think the latter is the motivation.

Perhaps but one thing that's ignored in your post is that not everyone who uses a bus route is traveling from one end to the other and therefore traveling over most or the whole portion of the route. Not only that neither dent in straight line of the 94, if it is actually going to get extended to 74/Damen is what I would call a huge zigzag especially when you compare the new structure to say the 44 or the 95E. You got the one diversion to Western between 47th and 51st to connect to the Orange Line which I'm sure #94 riders don't look at as all that much of a sacrifice when a good number of them still may hop on the Orange Line at some point even if they don't for that particular trip. And you may have a zigzag to connect to the 75 but if that extension proves successful, which there is a possibility it might given the only direct CTA connection from the 75 at that point is the weekday rush hour only 48, I'm sure anyone riding that portion would rather have the extra 2 block jump northward to 69th to pass the railroads underneath the underpass than get stuck at the railroad crossings along 71st Street.

I See. Because With The Railroad , And Trains Passing By, They May Cause Some Delays Most The Time. But By Traveling On 69th Street Its A Clear Shot To Damen From Western Thanks To The Viaduct .

CTA website now confirms that the 94 is extended to 74th/Damen starting March 30th as one of the spring pick changes. The alert is now up under the Upcoming Alerts section of the Bus Service Alerts page. The reason given is that #94 buses will provide connections to the 48, 49 and 75.

Supv guide shows terminal as "74th Garage", not 74th/Damen. At least part of reason for extension is that park roadways are not intended for buses, and over the years Redfield and Sacramento in Marquette park have been reduced to mud pits by the buses, and I suspect Park District might have evicted CTA. Secondary item is that making on-street reliefs at 71st/Sacramento was becoming an issue. Getting there required a walk, and two bus rides. Now just go out the door.

Supv guide shows terminal as "74th Garage", not 74th/Damen. At least part of reason for extension is that park roadways are not intended for buses, and over the years Redfield and Sacramento in Marquette park have been reduced to mud pits by the buses, and I suspect Park District might have evicted CTA. Secondary item is that making on-street reliefs at 71st/Sacramento was becoming an issue. Getting there required a walk, and two bus rides. Now just go out the door.

The supervisor guide may say 74th Garage, but the alert itself that's given on the website says explicitly that the buses will use the terminal at 74th/Damen. That's not the same thing as the garage, which is approximately two blocks to the east. But yeah I can see how years of buses using those roadways when they weren't designed for buses have had detrimental effects on those roadways and theoretically leading to the Park District wanting the buses out. Redfield and Sacramento were mud pits in the late days of Kedzie was operating the route and had Americanas rolling on the 94. And Kedzie hasn't had that route since 1994, so imagine the beating those roadways have taken in the 20 years since that point.

74th/Damen loop would be very hard to use to turn back a bus coming from the north. I would say whoever wrote the service notice did not realize exactly what the schedule dept was doing.

Why? By that logic the 12 never would have been able to get routed to the Central/Harrison terminal, which was already servicing two routes at the time CTA got booted from its off street terminal at Roosevelt/Monitor. Yet somehow they manage to make that happen and it still works today. I would guess that part of what they're going to do is create an interline between the 75 and 94 much the same way that they have the interline between 57 and 73 because they both share the Grand/Latrobe off street terminal and assigned to the same garage, had the partial interline between the 7 and 12 because they both use the Central/Harrison terminal and are assigned to the same garage, have the interline between 111 and 115, the other interlines of other 95th/Dan Ryan terminal routes, the interline of the 51 and 52A, and the interlines between several of the 74th garage assigned Midway terminal routes. Therefore with all due respect to what you may have seen in a supervisor guide, I don't see how terminating trips at 74th Garage makes all that much sense when you have the off street terminal at 74th/Damen and the above examples of how they worked out having multiple routes from the same garage serving one off street terminal. So I think the person who posted that alert is more likely in tune with what the scheduling department is planning more than you think and giving them credit for.

Here is the training map. Terminal is at 74th Garage.

Ok. Thanks for clarifying with a visual. But you win that point on a technicality though since that's the terminal from the operator's point of view since I take note from the inset of that training map says the 74th/Damen (the intersection not the terminal as the inset says which I had to clear up a bit more visually for myself on Google maps, which shows the terminal at the northwest corner and not the southeast as the training map implies in the way they labeled the bus stop) is the last passenger stop and passengers therefore would have to leave the bus at that point. So as far as the passenger is concerned, 74th/Damen is the terminal, which at this point I mean terminal point beyond which they can't ride. What you're showing is the operators' LAYOVER point, the operators' terminal if you will, but from what I can see it's not an actual service stop for passengers. So I stand corrected on layovers, but 74th/Damen (the intersection) is still the terminal for the passengers. Google Maps also clarifies the reason why you said it's hard to turn buses into the terminal coming from the north. It's basically an offset bubble of pavement at the north side of 74th, which itself is essentially a dirt path beyond Damen.