Possible 5000 series on the orange line

Bridgeportbus

I seen this article in the tribhttp://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-cta-yellow-line-repair-shop-met-0623-20150622-story.html. It mentioned trucking the remaining new 5000 series to the midway yard. This makes me think the orange line might be getting 5000s. Any thpughts on this , or is this just misreporting.

It doesn't have to be misreporting. Since the Orange Line is connected to the rest of the system, the cars could be put on the rails and then sent to the Red Line.

It could be a sign that they are going to the Orange Line (as BusHunter thinks), but it hasn't been reported that the Red and Purple Lines are completely uncontaminated with 2600s (to pick up on the Monty Python cheese shop).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPN3KTtrnZM

• Upvote 2

It doesn't have to be misreporting. Since the Orange Line is connected to the rest of the system, the cars could be put on the rails and then sent to the Red Line.

It could be a sign that they are going to the Orange Line (as BusHunter thinks), but it hasn't been reported that the Red and Purple Lines are completely uncontaminated with 2600s (to pick up on the Monty Python cheese shop).

Well those in the know say yes they will get them, there is just no timeframe on when that will happen. Should be soon, as soon as they are ready to start dumping #2600's to the scrapper. They might get these #5000's that come in via 63rd. There's no other explaination for Hilkevitch mentioning Midway.

The purple line is for sure rid of the 2600. The red line is harder to tell, but I know I saw a 2600 less than 3 weeks ago.

Well those in the know say yes they will get them, there is just no timeframe on when that will happen. Should be soon, as soon as they are ready to start dumping #2600's to the scrapper. They might get these #5000's that come in via 63rd. There's no other explaination for Hilkevitch mentioning Midway.

I heard that they were trucking them either to 63rd or Midway and get towed (by 2400) to Midway, as Midway must be the most candid place to prep them for service. They will then run under their own power to Howard. Not sure how much of this (if any) is correct, but if there are 5000s being towed by 2400s...we need pictures of that O.o

The fore-mentioned news article states that they will arrive at Skokie and be prepped for revenue operations at Midway, so expect (and anticipate) the remaining 5000s to arrive at Midway. Also, this statement from the "First & Fastest" social media page confirms that Midway will get the 5000s

Fun Fact: If indeed the final 5000 deliveries enter into revenue service at Midway as presumed, this would be an historical moment for the 5000s as Midway is where the 5000s officially entered into revenue service on November 8th, 2011 

Skokie Shops update:

CTA's Skokie Shops remain busy as ever, despite being cut off from the rest of the rapid transit system by the embankment collapse on the Yellow Line.

Skokie continues to accept new 5000-series cars, although CTA spokesperson Tammy Chase says that once they have been checked out at Skokie, they are loaded once again onto low-boy trailers for transport to the Midway yard, where they are placed into service. To date, 690 of the 714 cars in the Bombardier order have been accepted for service. They continue to arrive at Skokie, and are being transported to Midway, at the rate of 1-2 a week.

Many repairs that would normally be done at Skokie are being done at CTA's other rail repair facilities. Cars that need heavy repairs are being trucked to and from Skokie as needed. That includes 3200-series cars, which continue to undergo "mid-life" rehabilitation; the most visible change is the addition of LED destination signs.

Chase says CTA is keeping track of its expenses related to the collapse (and all additional costs incurred to keep Skokie Shops full and active are among them) and will bill the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District, on whose property the collapse occurred in an area where MWRD-hired contractors were working adjacent to the tracks on a project unrelated to CTA.

CTA and MWRD said last week that repairs to the Skokie Swift ROW will take until October to complete.

Edited by Juniorz

The fore-mentioned news article states that they will arrive at Skokie and be prepped for revenue operations at Midway, so expect (and anticipate) the remaining 5000s to arrive at Midway. Also, this statement from the "First & Fastest" social media page confirms that Midway will get the 5000s

Fun Fact: If indeed the final 5000 deliveries enter into revenue service at Midway as presumed, this would be an historical moment for the 5000s as Midway is where the 5000s officially entered into revenue service on November 8th, 2011 

Skokie Shops update:

CTA's Skokie Shops remain busy as ever, despite being cut off from the rest of the rapid transit system by the embankment collapse on the Yellow Line.

Skokie continues to accept new 5000-series cars, although CTA spokesperson Tammy Chase says that once they have been checked out at Skokie, they are loaded once again onto low-boy trailers for transport to the Midway yard, where they are placed into service. To date, 690 of the 714 cars in the Bombardier order have been accepted for service. They continue to arrive at Skokie, and are being transported to Midway, at the rate of 1-2 a week.

Many repairs that would normally be done at Skokie are being done at CTA's other rail repair facilities. Cars that need heavy repairs are being trucked to and from Skokie as needed. That includes 3200-series cars, which continue to undergo "mid-life" rehabilitation; the most visible change is the addition of LED destination signs.

Chase says CTA is keeping track of its expenses related to the collapse (and all additional costs incurred to keep Skokie Shops full and active are among them) and will bill the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District, on whose property the collapse occurred in an area where MWRD-hired contractors were working adjacent to the tracks on a project unrelated to CTA.

CTA and MWRD said last week that repairs to the Skokie Swift ROW will take until October to complete.

Ooooooohhhhhh. So they will be on the Orange Line soon! I wasn't in Chicago until after the 5000s were off the Orange Line so I've never gotten to ride them on it before; can't wait.

Skokie Shops update:

If you look at the Hilkevitch column (link in the first post), this is word for word the same.Someone is copying from somewhere else, but there isn't an independent source of information here.

If you look at the Hilkevitch column (link in the first post), this is word for word the same.Someone is copying from somewhere else, but there isn't an independent source of information here.

Also the statement that 1-2 are already being transferred Midway seems to jive with what DH says. The only way to know is take a look at Midway yard, but I didn't see any the other day. 690 at Skokie also seems to jive with 700 reported. If we need a third number I have 704, but I'm counting this week, so Hilkevitch is right on the count.

Edited by BusHunter

Also the statement that 1-2 are already being transferred Midway seems to jive with what DH says. The only way to know is take a look at Midway yard, but I didn't see any the other day. 690 at Skokie also seems to jive with 700 reported. If we need a third number I have 704, but I'm counting this week, so Hilkevitch is right on the count.

Basically, the only way to know (given that no one has shown a source of inside information) is someone standing on a train platform somewhere between 59th and Kenton and Washington/Wells seeing a 5000 train stop with an Orange destination sign and Mr. CTA saying "This is an Orange Line Train to Midway/Downtown. Doors Closing."

As of this morning there are no 5000s at Midway. As we were pulling out of Midway, there are 3200s berthed in front of the shop doors at the south end of the yard. But most of the yard (like 75%) are 2600s, one 4 car consist of 2400s work cars, and a few here and there 3200s. I'll check again on my return trip back to Midway. 

I think once the 5000's starting arriving on the Orange line that's when the LED 3200 will get transferred over to the Blue Line since that line won't be getting any 5000's. They will probably stay on that line until the 7000's roll in. 

That scenario  sounds  about right. Sounds  good for the Blue line.  But seeing is believing.  I would love to see (and hopefully ride) newer rolling stock on the Blue Line:)

That scenario  sounds  about right. Sounds  good for the Blue line.  But seeing is believing.  I would love to see (and hopefully ride) newer rolling stock on the Blue Line:)

Question still is for what they intend to use 400 2600s until 2020 (or whenever the 7000s are supposed to start arriving en masse). 400 is still more than what the Blue Line needs.

They can't move the brown line #3200's as they are under a #2600 restriction, or so it seems. Now will the #5000's run the brownages is the $64,000 question. I don't see why they can't but they probably won't do it until the #2600's are gone from the Orange line. It really depends on how many #5000's they get, but really all that could end up happening is the #5000's run the orange #3200's run the brownages. I think the Blue line is screwed until 2020, but at least they will be first up to get new cars because they can't send the #2600's to the brown line that's for sure.

Now when the 100 #2600's get a life extension rehab, they could add signs to that project and Blue line could then get some digital signs, but they would probably keep those around then until the last of the #2600's are gone. They could keep those signs to fix #3200's that mess up or just sell the extras. Someone would want them. They would probably sell like hotcakes at IRM

Why? The seats are awful!

You'll prefer to stand, unless you get one of the pair of normal seats.

I can't find anything wrong with the seats on the 5000s, unless there's visible substance spilled on them, which is a different story (and much worse on the older cars). Everything about the 5000s is nicer and the Orange Line is one of the smoothest lines already; once the 5000s are on the Orange Line it might actually be on-par with other decent transit systems around the world in terms of being modern.

They can't move the brown line #3200's as they are under a #2600 restriction, or so it seems. Now will the #5000's run the brownages is the $64,000 question. I don't see why they can't but they probably won't do it until the #2600's are gone from the Orange line. It really depends on how many #5000's they get, but really all that could end up happening is the #5000's run the orange #3200's run the brownages. I think the Blue line is screwed until 2020, but at least they will be first up to get new cars because they can't send the #2600's to the brown line that's for sure.

Now when the 100 #2600's get a life extension rehab, they could add signs to that project and Blue line could then get some digital signs, but they would probably keep those around then until the last of the #2600's are gone. They could keep those signs to fix #3200's that mess up or just sell the extras. Someone would want them. They would probably sell like hotcakes at IRM

I would assume they will probably run 5000s on the Brownage runs. If so, the Blue Line will be the only line which does not see 5000s during normal service. Poor blue line...

I can't find anything wrong with the seats on the 5000s, unless there's visible substance spilled on them, which is a different story (and much worse on the older cars). Everything about the 5000s is nicer and the Orange Line is one of the smoothest lines already; once the 5000s are on the Orange Line it might actually be on-par with other decent transit systems around the world in terms of being modern.

I like the 5000's too and I hoped Orange Line because I sick of ride the 2600's on the Orange Line.

Edited by ArcherRider

I would assume they will probably run 5000s on the Brownage runs. If so, the Blue Line will be the only line which does not see 5000s during normal service. Poor blue line...

Best part is the Blue line was slated to get them first. How things change.

• Upvote 1

Oh well............Me and a few others where once again just hoping against hope for the Blue.  And as for the 7000s, the year 2020 might as well be 2050.

Oh well............Me and a few others where once again just hoping against hope for the Blue.  And as for the 7000s, the year 2020 might as well be 2050.

The amount of times they've pushed the bid cutoff back, I wouldn't be surprised if we reach a new millennium by the time they finally show up.