CTA in Train Simulator

briman94

​I'm surprised that it models the inside of the car, too (as demonstrated by the Orange destination sign). But maybe I shouldn't since you demonstrated the decals inside the door, but I think this is the first time you showed something through the windows.

​Yeah, the game allows details anywhere in the model. The more dynamic details there are, the more difficult it is to make, but you can add as many static details as you want (although the inside destination signs were fairly easy once the outside ones were done. You can also have a separate version of the model that only renders while inside, so you can have extremely high detail while in the "passenger camera" view. This is demonstrated on the Kawasaki M8's from New York; you can see the 120V passenger wall outlets next to each seat.

Have you gotten started on adding the Red, White, Blue lights on the side of the train yet?

slide_196425_463159_free.jpg

​That's probably going to be the next step. It should be a fairly easy addition to make. Now, the question is...to simulate random blue lights or not to simulate random blue lights? :P

(also, what's the white light for?)

• Upvote 2

​That's probably going to be the next step. It should be a fairly easy addition to make. Now, the question is...to simulate random blue lights or not to simulate random blue lights? :P

(also, what's the white light for?)

Got an answer for you(courtesy of Chicago-l.org article here)

White is when the battery charging on a car has quit working, meaning that the car is operating on battery exclusively.

Blue means excessive current has been drawn and the circuit breaker on the car has been tripped. When the breaker is tripped, an audible alarm will sound in the cab, alerting the motorman. He/She must then operate the switch called the Power Reset to attempt to reset the tripped breaker. If the alarm turns off when he powers up again, then all is ok and the blue light will stay lit until the car can be serviced at a yard.

If my color-blind eyes are correct, the last light color is Yellow, which indicates the parking brakes are applied, which occurs when the dynamic braking has given out(below 3mph) and when standing still. It also comes on when the emergency brakes are applied(indicative by a burning smell when the train is put into emergency from a high rate of speed)

• Upvote 2

Got an answer for you(courtesy of Chicago-l.org article here)

White is when the battery charging on a car has quit working, meaning that the car is operating on battery exclusively.

Blue means excessive current has been drawn and the circuit breaker on the car has been tripped. When the breaker is tripped, an audible alarm will sound in the cab, alerting the motorman. He/She must then operate the switch called the Power Reset to attempt to reset the tripped breaker. If the alarm turns off when he powers up again, then all is ok and the blue light will stay lit until the car can be serviced at a yard.

If my color-blind eyes are correct, the last light color is Yellow, which indicates the parking brakes are applied, which occurs when the dynamic braking has given out(below 3mph) and when standing still. It also comes on when the emergency brakes are applied(indicative by a burning smell when the train is put into emergency from a high rate of speed)

​Well, I shouldn't ever need white (the bulb will just be a static object), I could probably simulate blue but it'd be for fun and most people wouldn't care, and the yellow one is SUPER easy, as is the red one. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow if I have time :D 

...You can also have a separate version of the model that only renders while inside, so you can have extremely high detail while in the "passenger camera" view. This is demonstrated on the Kawasaki M8's from New York; you can see the 120V passenger wall outlets next to each seat.

​Hope you can place the interior camera correctly! On the class 465, the camera is badly placed, and you can see the adjacent car crashing into the passenger view.

Have you gotten started on adding the Red, White, Blue lights on the side of the train yet?

I think ​the blue light in the picture actually illuminates green, for the door bypass. The actual blue light is located with the red and yellow status lights instead of the red and white ones. Briman94, the status lights at the doors by the cab are red-white-green on both sides of the car, and the status lights at the doors at the blind end are red-yellow-blue on both sides of the car. Hope that helps! :)

​Hope you can place the interior camera correctly! On the class 465, the camera is badly placed, and you can see the adjacent car crashing into the passenger view.

I think ​the blue light in the picture actually illuminates green, for the door bypass. The actual blue light is located with the red and yellow status lights instead of the red and white ones. Briman94, the status lights at the doors by the cab are red-white-green on both sides of the car, and the status lights at the doors at the blind end are red-yellow-blue on both sides of the car. Hope that helps! :)

​Thanks! I couldn't remember which is which and it's not exactly easy to find a train with a blue light on these days unless you happen to be on the blue line (maybe we ought to call it the blue light line).

​What about the Red, White, Red lights? Example under the 3442 sign on the car closest to the photographer.

cta3442a.jpg

​What about the Red, White, Red lights? Example under the 3442 sign on the car closest to the photographer.

​That light setup seems to be exclusive to the 3200s, as I haven't seen it on other series. Also the other car in the pair looks like it has a green light, or the photo was taken with weird light. Either way, the photo is too small for me to confirm if the other car has a green light.

​What's the bottom red light for? That's always confused me; only one of them lights up for the door.

​Not sure. My first guess was that it's for the pantograph, but there are pictures of 3200s that have the same lights and no pantographs.

Brian, as a companion to your 5000s, I am also working on these babies; the CTA 1-50 class cars. ;)

1016538_584259308317461_2010727724_n[1].jpg

1601529_584212794988779_1230934480_n[1].jpg

​Wow, those look great! We should definitely collaborate at some point; we could make a historic run on the CTA in those cars with modern cars running as AI...something that almost never happens on the real system.

• Upvote 4

Hey Briman, do you think after you make the 5000 Series, you will make different series like the 3200's, 2400's, or the 2200's?

​I definitely plan on making the 3200s because of how easy it will be. By the time I do that, they should all have LED signs on them, so it's just a matter of re-scripting the propulsion system to behave like a DC system rather than an AC system and changing the sounds :). I'm not sure if I'll do the 22s, 24s, or 26s yet. The rollsigns would be much much harder unless I make them just change like the LED signs instead of animating them.

• Upvote 3

​I definitely plan on making the 3200s because of how easy it will be. By the time I do that, they should all have LED signs on them, so it's just a matter of re-scripting the propulsion system to behave like a DC system rather than an AC system and changing the sounds :). I'm not sure if I'll do the 22s, 24s, or 26s yet. The rollsigns would be much much harder unless I make them just change like the LED signs instead of animating them.

​Essentially the only exterior change to make that kind of 3200 would be that the vent chase by the sliding doors for the brakes would be narrower, since it shares the door pocket, which it doesn't do on a 5000.

• Upvote 1

​I'm hoping you'll get on to the 2600s eventually. I think they'll be staying around long enough to make them in the simulator. Heck, maybe even the 2400s since they share that same rounded body. As for the roll signs, having them just there (static) would be fine with me. The only train simulator I've seen with moving roll signs is OpenBVE.

​Essentially the only exterior change to make that kind of 3200 would be that the vent chase by the sliding doors for the brakes would be narrower, since it shares the door pocket, which it doesn't do on a 5000.

​Apparently there are very minor differences in the fiberglass cab ends, but I'll leave that up to briman94 if he wants to implement those.

... Heck, maybe even the 2400s since they share that same rounded body....

​When they were trained together (such as on the Red and Purple lines in the late 1990s), it was obvious that the sides of the 2400s were much straighter, although not to the extent as the 2200s. I don't know if that would show up in the simulator's level of definition.

​When they were trained together (such as on the Red and Purple lines in the late 1990s), it was obvious that the sides of the 2400s were much straighter, although not to the extent as the 2200s.

​Oh. I should have payed attention to that on the Purple Line. Either way, I was more concerned about modeling the two small bands running on the sides of the 2400s, and of course the front cab ends.

​Oh. I should have payed attention to that on the Purple Line. Either way, I was more concerned about modeling the two small bands running on the sides of the 2400s, and of course the front cab ends.

​And, of course, whether it had the colors and decals as originally and recreated for the retained units, when dummied up to look like the 2600s, and when the decals were removed and the ends painted gray.

Random fun fact: I timed the "Orange Line in Real Time" video from Kedzie to Western, which is 1:41. Then I timed my simulator route in a 5000-series, and got 1:36, so my acceleration, top speed, and distances are all pretty much perfect! I had ATO enabled so the stopping distance was probably a bit shorter than a real driver would have taken, gaining the extra 5 seconds.

@‌briman94:

It does sound more like an "L" train going around the curves... reminds me of a Red Line train approaching Sheridan. Still can't comprehend a train that hovers making groaning noises on the tracks.... wait, that train hovers?!? Doc!!!

What the hell is going on here??? :PxD