CTA in Train Simulator

briman94

I just downloaded your project. I like it. I have always wanted to do something like for CTA and/or Metra, but the learning curve seemed too stiff. However, now that I see it's possible. I want to do something like what you're doing except as a Metra route. I think it will be a bit easier since the F40PH is already in the game. Modelling the Bi Levels could be a challenge but it's a basic enough design that it can be done. I came across an operating manual for the MBTA version of the MP36 so that could help things along. Briman94,  Direct message me some tips on how to get started. Thanks.

I just downloaded your project. I like it. I have always wanted to do something like for CTA and/or Metra, but the learning curve seemed too stiff. However, now that I see it's possible. I want to do something like what you're doing except as a Metra route. I think it will be a bit easier since the F40PH is already in the game. Modelling the Bi Levels could be a challenge but it's a basic enough design that it can be done. I came across an operating manual for the MBTA version of the MP36 so that could help things along. Briman94,  Direct message me some tips on how to get started. Thanks.

​Will do! It's very complicated but I can point you in the right direction. I'll send a PM in a little bit.

Nice!!! Is there anyway you can separate the door closing audio and the chime by a couple of seconds or more?

​Here ya go, garmon :P

I had to increase the "minimum stopped time" for all the stations, which thankfully was fairly easy to do. Now the animation keeps the doors open for about 5 seconds while the "doors closing" message plays, and then starts closing them :P 

• Upvote 1

I had to increase the "minimum stopped time" for all the stations, which thankfully was fairly easy to do. Now the animation keeps the doors open for about 5 seconds while the "doors closing" message plays, and then starts closing them :P 

​I will say this.... the sound of the 5000's decelerating and accelerating again, coupled with the fact that the model still needs to show it's wheels at some point, seems so futuristic. The sounds make it sound like a hover device is turned off/on.

• Upvote 2

​I will say this.... the sound of the 5000's decelerating and accelerating again, coupled with the fact that the model still needs to show it's wheels at some point, seems so futuristic. The sounds make it sound like a hover device is turned off/on.

​Hehe...maybe someday we'll have floating trains.

Part of the underbody is done though:

Also got some textures on the front (including headlight textures that turn on/off):

• Upvote 1

I mentioned in the PM that I'm going to start a tutorial series for Train Simulator. I wrote one tutorial already; you can find them here: http://briman0094.com/category/train-sim/

I'll keep working on tutorials as I think of them (and have time for them) so keep checking in from time to time!

​Cool, thanks! Any chance you'll be talking about laying tracks? I'd like to try my hand at making the UP-NW line. :P

• Upvote 1

​Cool, thanks! Any chance you'll be talking about laying tracks? I'd like to try my hand at making the UP-NW line. :P

​Yep! I'll try to get to that one soon. Most of the stuff is going to be actual asset creation, but I'll cover laying tracks. In the meantime, there are also manuals in the "docs" folder of RailWorks that explain track laying; they just don't explain it very well... ¬¬

​Yep! I'll try to get to that one soon. Most of the stuff is going to be actual asset creation, but I'll cover laying tracks. In the meantime, there are also manuals in the "docs" folder of RailWorks that explain track laying; they just don't explain it very well... ¬¬

​Oh OK. I didn't think of looking there. Once I sit down at one of my gaming computers I'll look for it.

HELL YEAH!!! That's what I'm talking about!!! Pure masterpiece!!! :D

• Upvote 2

​How easy would it be to go back and change something on the train model? I've got some little tweaks you could implement if that's OK.

​Pretty easy at this point! That's what I'm working on the most so I'm pretty flexible. What did you have in mind?

​Pretty easy at this point! That's what I'm working on the most so I'm pretty flexible. What did you have in mind?

​Based on this picture, check out the doors and windows on the side of the car. I noticed that the top of the door opening (not the frame) is at the same height as the window openings (including the frame for the opening portion, but not the frame for the window itself). The actual frames for the doors and windows also line up. Also for future reference, you can see how far the external speakers by the doors stick out from the car body. Depending on how thin you can make an object on the model, you could also try adding that metal lip above the doors and windows that runs almost the entire length of the car. Finally, there are those funny looking windows that are smaller than the other windows. I might be looking at your model wrong, but I don't see those windows.

Thanks for listening! :)

​Based on this picture, check out the doors and windows on the side of the car. I noticed that the top of the door opening (not the frame) is at the same height as the window openings (including the frame for the opening portion, but not the frame for the window itself). The actual frames for the doors and windows also line up. Also for future reference, you can see how far the external speakers by the doors stick out from the car body. Depending on how thin you can make an object on the model, you could also try adding that metal lip above the doors and windows that runs almost the entire length of the car. Finally, there are those funny looking windows that are smaller than the other windows. I might be looking at your model wrong, but I don't see those windows.

Thanks for listening! :)

​Thanks for the feedback! I actually noticed the door thing myself. I measured wrong in the original model, so when I built the doors, it didn't line up as expected. I can make some modifications but I'll need to retexture some of it which will be the annoying part. I'll take a look at the window configuration too; that part will be harder to fix at this point but if it's an easy fix or a major visual flaw I'll probably fix it at some point.

​Thanks for the feedback! I actually noticed the door thing myself. I measured wrong in the original model, so when I built the doors, it didn't line up as expected. I can make some modifications but I'll need to retexture some of it which will be the annoying part. I'll take a look at the window configuration too; that part will be harder to fix at this point but if it's an easy fix or a major visual flaw I'll probably fix it at some point.

​Good deal. Can't wait to see more good work!

• Upvote 1

Just finished up Skokie Shops!

Hidden Content

Oh...and what's this?

Hidden Content

​Not with Goldie Wilson's Hover Conversion Company, you won't need wheels. They hover about 6-12" above track level and rest even with platforms when the train comes to a stop. Very futuristic for a 2015 model, briman94... xD

• Upvote 1

​Not with Goldie Wilson's Hover Conversion Company, you won't need wheels. They hover about 6-12" above track level and rest even with platforms when the train comes to a stop. Very futuristic for a 2015 model, briman94... xD

​Would also take care of all the slow zones due to deplorable track. However, I don't know how it work on steel L structure (no deck, compared to what is proposed for the Lawrence-Bryn Mawr project). CTA probably would have air crashes.

• Upvote 2

Added some really nice emissive lighting to the headlights, destination signs, and cab indicators. Now instead of just being "full brightness", they actually "glow" and emit light.

hIsfs.pnghIstg.png

Also, you can see some more improvements in this new demo video:

Edited by briman94
  • Upvote 2

Well done mate! How far are you with the inside map with the red light dots and the inside led displays that shows the time/date and next stop?

​Haha....not sure how easy that one will be. Each one of those would be its own part in the model and in the script, and the date/time thing isn't quite supported by the game. I will probably just have the map with no lights and empty messages (or some easter egg static message that is pre-rendered) when I end up texturing the inside.

​Haha....not sure how easy that one will be. Each one of those would be its own part in the model and in the script, and the date/time thing isn't quite supported by the game. I will probably just have the map with no lights and empty messages (or some easter egg static message that is pre-rendered) when I end up texturing the inside.

​I'm surprised that it models the inside of the car, too (as demonstrated by the Orange destination sign). But maybe I shouldn't since you demonstrated the decals inside the door, but I think this is the first time you showed something through the windows.