Coming Soon: The Racetrack Aurora - Chicago On TS2015

BusHunter

Wow, I'm in shock, they are actually going to release a Metra simulator from here in Chicago on TS2015. It's going to be of the Racetrack, Metra's Aurora - Chicago route. This is going to be interesting. In the tease photograph, they really rendered the skyline well. It's hard to see if that is a F40PHM-2 loco in the shot, that is sort of rare and also are the last F40PH's ever built. Also interesting is whether there is an MP36PH-3S, included in the game. It should be if it's to be authentic. It's to be released through 3rd party developer Chicago & Southwest Productions Inc., but I can't seem to find out anything about that company.

Wow, I'm in shock, they are actually going to release a Metra simulator from here in Chicago on TS2015. It's going to be of the Racetrack, Metra's Aurora - Chicago route. This is going to be interesting. In the tease photograph, they really rendered the skyline well. It's hard to see if that is a F40PHM-2 loco in the shot, that is sort of rare and also are the last F40PH's ever built. Also interesting is whether there is an MP36PH-3S, included in the game. It should be if it's to be authentic. It's to be released through 3rd party developer Chicago & Southwest Productions Inc., but I can't seem to find out anything about that company.

When my grandfather worked for the Burlington, it was called the Speedway. Has that changed?

Are they going to have Pace buses lined up at the Naperville and Lisle stations?:D

Probably not. Someone commented did they get rights to display Metra on the loco's? Someone said it was missing in the teaser pics, but they have the blue metal plates that are on the cars, they say Metra in real life, so it would be a question of what they say in the simulator.

Edited by BusHunter

Probably not. Someone commented did they get rights to display Metra on the loco's? Someone said it was missing in the teaser pics, but they have the blue metal plates that are on the cars, they say Metra in real life, so it would be a question of what they say in the simulator.

The placement of the plates would also be tricky, given different locations on the 8500s compared to 7100s (and even if they are on the old Burlington cars). Then, the cars that are owned by WSMTD also have BNSF logos on them near the doors,

The placement of the plates would also be tricky, given different locations on the 8500s compared to 7100s (and even if they are on the old Burlington cars). Then, the cars that are owned by WSMTD also have BNSF logos on them near the doors,

I know what you mean about the Burlington cars, but here probably they are just using a standard issued car, probably the most modern fleet type. 

That picture almost looks like a F40PH instead of the newer model. I don't believe they ever ran those on the Burlington, they went straight from those green E9's, I believe to the F40PHM-2's in 1991-92. I might vaguely remember them painting a few Green E9's in Metra colors. I think IRM has a repainted one.  

I checked online, they do have a repainted F7 308, but it was an ex CNW, but they do have BN9976.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVjEJm65VG3gAocgnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEzZjZpNzAxBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDRkZVSUMwXzEEc2VjA3Nj?p=Metra+F7+308&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Edited by BusHunter

They could make them say "Metro" instead of "Metra" and then it's just a regular English noun :D If they can't get the rights for "Metra" at least they could do that.

They could make them say "Metro" instead of "Metra" and then it's just a regular English noun :D If they can't get the rights for "Metra" at least they could do that.

There really going to piss off Garmon then. xD He doesn't like faux transit. :P Hell if it gets it in the game, that all that matters. So far the only addon they had for the Chicago area ever was the Chicago yard, which simulated Proviso yard, which is actually quite big, but this is the first with real scenery. i wonder if the CTA bridge is in it at Paulina.

Actually I thought maybe the electric line or south shore would get in the game first because they are sort of iconic. But the rock island they could actually have cool addons like the Rock Island Rocket (link below) or Aerotrain (link below) which did run the Rock Island at one time.

Aerotrain pictorial link: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTcdBFC69VZZcAYhonnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByZDNzZTI1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Rock+Island+Line+Railroad+Aerotrain&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

or Aerotrain wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerotrain_(GM)

rock island rockets: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Island_Rockets_(1937)

• Upvote 1

They already do as a DLC you can get. You can get the Superliners and make an Empire Builder consist. The Amtrak trains for this route are dummy models though, so they won't move so that computers won't get bogged down.

I don't know about that. The Amtrak Southwest Chief runs the racetrack too. I think they could implement it in the game. It is the racetrack!! This kind of reminds me of the Surfliner pack they have. They have the San Diego trains in there, the LA ones and the Amtrak Surfliner. It adds to the line. They even have an add on from Trains and Drivers called "California Dreamin'" where they have even added in a San Diego trolley. That's really cool. Games have come a long way since I was a kid!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SralTFSLiQs

I don't know about that. The Amtrak Southwest Chief runs the racetrack too. I think they could implement it in the game. It is the racetrack!! This kind of reminds me of the Surfliner pack they have. They have the San Diego trains in there, the LA ones and the Amtrak Surfliner. It adds to the line. They even have an add on from Trains and Drivers called "California Dreamin'" where they have even added in a San Diego trolley. That's really cool. Games have come a long way since I was a kid!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SralTFSLiQs

Oops, I totally forgot about the Southwest Chief! I guess you could technically add it to the route, though I think it would only stop at Union Station and Naperville.

Oops, I totally forgot about the Southwest Chief! I guess you could technically add it to the route, though I think it would only stop at Union Station and Naperville.

Seems it would be in the game, why else would it be there. They might even have freights. That might be another add on though. Look what they did with NY to New Haven, at first it was Amtrak, then they added New Haven passenger service.

They have that Amtrak maintenance facility at Roosevelt and the Metra yard, both are probably in the game.

One thing I need to figure out, I don't see anything in the Surfliner pack saying those are LA and San Diego branded trains. (metrolink and coaster) Could be here the trains might be referred to as Chicago trains, if that's what they did there.

Edited by BusHunter

...One thing I need to figure out, I don't see anything in the Surfliner pack saying those are LA and San Diego branded trains. (metrolink and coaster) Could be here the trains might be referred to as Chicago trains, if that's what they did there.

Dovetail Games apparently couldn't get the license to use the California commuter agency logos. Same with the commuter rail in Florida after they released a route that went to Miami. I really hope they can get Metra logos in. Realism is crucial.

Strange they have Union Pacific and Amtrak rights. They must have New Haven commuter rights also. I wonder if Union Station is trademarked.

Can't be since it is a generic term, as almost every city has a Union Station. I doubt that even Chicago Union Station could be.

On the other hand, there must be a reason why Graham Garfield used to put ® after CTA, although it seems like most, but not all, are now gone. Note that CTA has branding and trademark guidelines for developers. Note, especially:

Don't use any CTA logo, including any logo CTA has used in the past, or any approximations thereof.  Examples of CTA logos that you may not use or approximate, including the CTA circle logo and text-based logos, are shown below.

Dovetail Games apparently couldn't get the license to use the California commuter agency logos. Same with the commuter rail in Florida after they released a route that went to Miami. I really hope they can get Metra logos in. Realism is crucial.

if you were really slick with the editor you could put your own Metra signs on the locos and pass. cars.  Heck if I could do that I'd fix up the other missing brands.

Edited by BusHunter

if you were really slick with the editor you could put your own Metra signs on the locos and pass. cars.  Heck if I could do that I'd fix up the other missing brands.

Nothing stopping you from doing it for your own purposes.

I'm surprised one doesn't exist on the net of the former rolling stock missing the brand names. I think all they would need is a reskin. They have Youtube videos on how to do it but it sounds complicated. The reskins would have to be free though if they were on the net. I don't believe that copyright infringement exists unless they are profiting from it. It's sort of a gray area. The worst that could happen is you might get a cease and desist order. It's like that at vpforums. Certain things you can rebuild, it's all free, but certain things are sensitive and are forbidden to recreate like pinball 2000 games. 

I'm surprised one doesn't exist on the net of the former rolling stock missing the brand names. I think all they would need is a reskin. They have Youtube videos on how to do it but it sounds complicated. The reskins would have to be free though if they were on the net. I don't believe that copyright infringement exists unless they are profiting from it. It's sort of a gray area. The worst that could happen is you might get a cease and desist order. It's like that at vpforums. Certain things you can rebuild, it's all free, but certain things are sensitive and are forbidden to recreate like pinball 2000 games. 

You are right that the most that could be realized against free distribution would be a cease and desist order and removal from the site, but CTA was pretty clear above how its trademarks may be used, and I didn't read that as necessarily being limited to apps, even though that page was associated with the developer guidelines.

For that matter, you'll note that both chicago-l.org and chicagobus.org both have disclaimers on their home pages that they are not affiliated with the CTA.

They stated on Facebook yesterday that this site below will have new logos for the Metra cars when they come out. In fact they say they will have a metro pack which addresses several metro rail packs.

http://thelocoshop.blogspot.com/

Engine-Driver, a news site of TS2015, gives us a deeper look of what to expect from this addon. BNSF freight locos will be in the pack according to the pictures. Cicero and Eola yards will be rendered including some freight scenarios. There's even going to be a West Chicago freight spur. Sounds really good!!

http://www.engine-driver.com/article/show/11537/introducing-the-racetrack-aurora-chicago

Edited by BusHunter

A few more screenshots on pg 8 of this forum. (linked below) There's also a picture the CTA folks might recognize.

http://railworksamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14268&start=105#p162067

The detail to Union Station is impressive, the Westmont station is impressive too. This has to be the most detailed line I've seen yet.

On page 6, they claim there's a Metra repaint, I haven't tried it out, but I can imagine we'll be seeing alot of these repaints.

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 1