CTA in Train Simulator

briman94

I just updated the first post with more accurate information and a new download! I now have an automated build system that will make it easier for me to post downloads. Let me know if something doesn't work with the download!

Thanks for that! For the special items (track brake, destination sign, etc.) I'm assuming you selected the key assignments yourself? I recently drove the ACS-64 and I accidentally hit the L key and POOF!, the cab light came on. :P I didn't know that was a key command!

Thanks for that! For the special items (track brake, destination sign, etc.) I'm assuming you selected the key assignments yourself? I recently drove the ACS-64 and I accidentally hit the L key and POOF!, the cab light came on. :P I didn't know that was a key command!

Yep...each vehicle can have its own "Input Mapper" as the game calls it, which just tells the game what buttons do what to each control.

Makes sense, and it's cool that they give you that option.

Yeah, the game is actually extremely flexible in just about every aspect of the simulation, which is great for realism purposes. This is what makes things like CTA ATC possible in under 100 lines of code (a relatively small amount)!

Got a mini-update! Finally got the numbers to render on the train after hours of trying seemingly random things to get it to work. The problem? I didn't put ".xml" on the end of a file I was referencing.

Aaaaaaanyways, here's a video (too lazy to put it on YouTube this time):

http://puu.sh/gycvn.mp4

Now that I have that working, it'll also be a LOT easier to add destination signs.

• Upvote 1

Another mini-update...I got all the signs implemented (except Yellow; I have to get a high-res picture of the Skokie Swift logo on the LED signs first):

http://puu.sh/gyg9g.mp4

EDIT: Just realized Green Ashland/63rd got replaced by a second Harlem...woops :P

• Upvote 2

A little teaser for something I've almost finished:

gAZMK.png

On an unrelated side-note, what do you guys think would be the possibility of the CTA letting me do some specialized sound recording for the game? Do you guys think they'd be supportive of an independent "student" project and help me get higher quality sound samples?

• Upvote 2

gAZMK.png

On an unrelated side-note, what do you guys think would be the possibility of the CTA letting me do some specialized sound recording for the game? Do you guys think they'd be supportive of an independent "student" project and help me get higher quality sound samples?

Depends what you mean. I don't think they'll give you a Mr. CTA file, for instance. It probably depends on whether you can get a higher quality recording device in your pocket. If you are too obvious. some passenger may take offense, thinking you are going to post him on the web (although I don't know how People of the CTA gets away with some of its stuff). Of course, you could try to come within their filming or photo policy, but this isn't Batman.

Depends what you mean. I don't think they'll give you a Mr. CTA file, for instance. It probably depends on whether you can get a higher quality recording device in your pocket. If you are too obvious. some passenger may take offense, thinking you are going to post him on the web (although I don't know how People of the CTA gets away with some of its stuff). Of course, you could try to come within their filming or photo policy, but this isn't Batman.

Well, the things I need most are raw recordings of vehicles with no people sounds...I need the traction motor sounds, the air conditioning, and preferably the doors opening and closing up close. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get these on an in-service train so the long-stretch goal would be to have the CTA help me record an out-of-service vehicle instead.

Well, the things I need most are raw recordings of vehicles with no people sounds...I need the traction motor sounds, the air conditioning, and preferably the doors opening and closing up close. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get these on an in-service train so the long-stretch goal would be to have the CTA help me record an out-of-service vehicle instead.

You would have to charter it, and I doubt you have the money. Probably more feasible to get sound editing software.

gAZMK.png

The Church at Church curve. I took the brown line out for a spin last night and was impressed with what you have done so far. The buildings around the Depaul/Fullerton avenue stop almost look like the real thing. I looked on the track map and saw you have the track schematic for the Orange line also. I was tempted to see that but couldn't figure out how to switch myself there.

You can film trains by yourself at alot of the terminal ends because that's where the least people ride. Just hit a station or two before and hit a section of the train with no riders and start recording. If you have a HD camera, you should be able to pick up good sound.

• Upvote 1

The Church at Church curve. I took the brown line out for a spin last night and was impressed with what you have done so far. The buildings around the Depaul/Fullerton avenue stop almost look like the real thing. I looked on the track map and saw you have the track schematic for the Orange line also. I was tempted to see that but couldn't figure out how to switch myself there.

Thanks! Fullerton was my experimentation stop with scenery because I was most familiar with that stop at the time; I'm going to do a lot more with scenery on the new version of my route. Regarding the orange line, you should just be able to use the top-down map ("9" key) and switch from Harold Washington Library south like a brownage would do, but sometimes if you get too close to tower 12 the junctions won't switch.

You can film trains by yourself at alot of the terminal ends because that's where the least people ride. Just hit a station or two before and hit a section of the train with no riders and start recording. If you have a HD camera, you should be able to pick up good sound.

I've considered that; the only problem is that the switches tend to make a lot of noise that would disrupt recording the traction sounds. Interior sounds should be easy but it's difficult getting a pure recording of the motors at terminals.

Just uploaded a new video of the Brown Line from Kimball to Clark/Lake. Orange Line is currently recording.

EDIT: It appears as though the video is stuck in Processing Purgatory so hopefully it'll be up soon.

EDIT 2: Apparently it's not just me having issues with YouTube today...going to re-upload it.

• 1 month later...

Here's a new video of me goofing around at Skokie Shops (or, what will eventually be Skokie Shops) testing the new grade-level track models and textures. I also made the ATC panel bigger, after noticing it was tiny compared to the real-life size.

Tonight I will try to work on finally adding doors and bogies, and adding some textures to the 5000-series. Hopefully I don't forget like I usually do.

Edited by briman94
  • Upvote 2

​The sticker, the ATO or the Warning message. Regardless, this is excellent progress that you've made. Still think NYC has the best closing door warning, however.

​Was mainly demonstrating the new doors, including the sticker that I had to texture from scratch :). Good observation though on the ATO...I'd never be able to stop that nicely without seeing the front!

• Upvote 1

Nice!!! Is there anyway you can separate the door closing audio and the chime by a couple of seconds or more?

​Not easily...The door closing sound is cued by the game (I have no control over it) at the same time the animation starts. The animation has to be the same for open and close, it just reverses it, so I already have a bunch of idle time at the end of the animation so when it reverses, the door sits still while the "Doors Closing!" message plays. I could add more idle time, but then it might cause the door to glitch if it tries to close before that "still" time is up...not sure. I'll see if I can get it to work.

Technically I could also do what CTA drivers actually do in real life, and have the "Doors Closing" message play right after the doors open (xD), but then if the game decides to keep the doors open for like 30 seconds or something, well, people get stuck in the doors... (again, not saying this doesn't happen in real life :P)

​Not easily...The door closing sound is cued by the game (I have no control over it) at the same time the animation starts. The animation has to be the same for open and close, it just reverses it, so I already have a bunch of idle time at the end of the animation so when it reverses, the door sits still while the "Doors Closing!" message plays. I could add more idle time, but then it might cause the door to glitch if it tries to close before that "still" time is up...not sure. I'll see if I can get it to work.

Technically I could also do what CTA drivers actually do in real life, and have the "Doors Closing" message play right after the doors open (xD), but then if the game decides to keep the doors open for like 30 seconds or something, well, people get stuck in the doors... (again, not saying this doesn't happen in real life :P)

​Well said. It should be some kind of leniency for you to have some idle time between the audio and chime.