5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I believe the 2400's bodies came from Portugal, and the 2600's (and 3200's) from Brazil.

Krambles book said the 2600s were Budd.

Page 67:

"Budd built the car shells themselves...."

The whole issue of Budd vs Transit America is very, very fuzzy. The order was placed with Budd, bjut at some point during production Budd became Transit America. However, am I not correct that every single builder's plate up to 3200 still had "Budd" on it? MK is even fuzzier as MK went bankrupt while 3200's (and Metra 7400's and 8400's and New York's R68's and Metro-North's M-6's) were in production, and the creditors set up Westinghouse-Amerail (Westinghouse, Alstom, and several other subcontractors to MK) to complete the orders, but for most practical purposes they are still considered "MK" by everybody.

Either you believe the contemporaneous Philadelphia newspaper article or you don't. People here don't seem to have much of a concept of corporate entities or bankruptcy liquidations.

Krambles book said the 2600s were Budd.

Page 67:

"Budd built the car shells themselves...."

Either you believe the contemporaneous Philadelphia newspaper article or you don't. People here don't seem to have much of a concept of corporate entities or bankruptcy liquidations.

That last part of what you said is stretching. No one said they didn't believe you. I didn't because you are knowledgeable about a lot of the area's transit history from times before when I was born and I learn a lot of stuff I hadn't previously known.

That last part of what you said is stretching. No one said they didn't believe you. I didn't because you are knowledgeable about a lot of the area's transit history from times before when I was born and I learn a lot of stuff I hadn't previously known.

The belief was only in what the Philadelphia paper said. I'm only the courier providing the link.

The two of us went into the corporate entity business in another context. Somehow, notwithstanding what may be on a nameplate (which I believe was replaced by Alstom, anyway), Thyssen took over Budd, then split off its transit division, gave it another name, killed it, and then sold the IP to Bombardier.*

Probably, in 20 years, someone will post on the hologramnet that Bombardier fabricated the 5000s car bodies at its Adtranz plant in Germany. Then there will be a debate about how DaimlerChrysler sold Adtranz.

________

*Apparently, ThyssenKrupp put the rest of Budd out of business and then declared its bankruptcy (Automotive News).

The belief was only in what the Philadelphia paper said. I'm only the courier providing the link.

The two of us went into the corporate entity business in another context. Somehow, notwithstanding what may be on a nameplate (which I believe was replaced by Alstom, anyway), Thyssen took over Budd, then split off its transit division, gave it another name, killed it, and then sold the IP to Bombardier.*

Probably, in 20 years, someone will post on the hologramnet that Bombardier fabricated the 5000s car bodies at its Adtranz plant in Germany. Then there will be a debate about how DaimlerChrysler sold Adtranz.

________

*Apparently, ThyssenKrupp put the rest of Budd out of business and then declared its bankruptcy (Automotive News).

What came up in that previous discussion between you and I is that American companies in some cases blur the definitions of what the different business entities are after they've gobbled up another company or split themselves down in separate smaller companies to handle separate functions within the overall previous whole.

Getting back to the 5000s themselves. I spotted 5501-5502 in service as part of run 914 this morning on the Red Line. They were done completely in what appeared to be a soccer related ad wrap. I would have taken a photo from the Purple Line express I was on, but my phone battery was close to dying. I also noticed in that same consist that several of other cars either were tagged with graffiti or in other spots had ugly splotches on the side from rail maintenance stripping the graffiti off. Where the graffiti was removed you could still make out what the tags were because the splotch was in the shape of what the graffiti tag previously had been.

• Upvote 3

Getting back to the 5000s themselves. I spotted 5501-5502 in service as part of run 914 this morning on the Red Line. They were done completely in what appeared to be a soccer related ad wrap. I would have taken a photo from the Purple Line express I was on, but my phone battery was close to dying. I also noticed in that same consist that several of other cars either were tagged with graffiti or in other spots had ugly splotches on the side from rail maintenance stripping the graffiti off. Where the graffiti was removed you could still make out what the tags were because the splotch was in the shape of what the graffiti tag previously had been.

Thanks for the info, they must have released more cars. I'll have to look for this soccer wrap it sounds interesting. JC Decaux had a shelter at Ashland/Irving Pk that was wrapped for the Chicago Fire. it was really something it even had the sidewalk wrapped in green grass like in a stadium. I should've took a picture. :(

I see #5500 still has its "500th 5000-series car" stickers.

Despite you being a couple days late about it, yes but you didn't miss too much about it. I don't like it because it's really too cliché. Don't be surprised when #5714 have it's sticker saying "Welcome aboard 714th and last brand new cta 5000-series railcar"! God I hope they don't do this crap for 7000s or #7500, new and future buses, and other future railcars before I'm dead!!!

I see #5500 still has its "500th 5000-series car" stickers.

They probably will for a while more, unless someone vandalizes them. I haven't seen any vandalism on the new cars posted on this thread lately though.

...I don't like it because it's really too cliché. Don't be surprised when #5714 have it's sticker saying "Welcome aboard 714th and last brand new cta 5000-series railcar"! God I hope they don't do this crap for 7000s or #7500, new and future buses, and other future railcars before I'm dead!!!

Good thing it wasn't a full body wrap...

As long as the CTA doesn't over do it, I don't have a problem with it. I have to give them credit for this one though. At least they decided to stick the decals on the outside, rather than the inside. The Wells Bridge outer Loop shuttle had decals for outside viewers, but I don't think anybody could see them properly because they were stuck on the inside of the train.

• Upvote 3

Despite you being a couple days late about it, yes but you didn't miss too much about it. I don't like it because it's really too cliché. Don't be surprised when #5714 have it's sticker saying "Welcome aboard 714th and last brand new cta 5000-series railcar"! God I hope they don't do this crap for 7000s or #7500, new and future buses, and other future railcars before I'm dead!!!

It reminds me of how SEPTA had sign ads for a pair of "milestone" buses they got from New Flyer: one was the 1,000th NFI bus (including electric trolley buses), which I believe was 8411; the other was for the 30,000th New Flyer built (8450). Nice milestones to be sure, but a little tacky, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

It reminds me of how SEPTA had sign ads for a pair of "milestone" buses they got from New Flyer: one was the 1,000th NFI bus (including electric trolley buses), which I believe was 8411; the other was for the 30,000th New Flyer built (8450). Nice milestones to be sure, but a little tacky, in my opinion.

I would've been totally pissed if that ever happen to our buses.

At least they didn't do it with the 1000s when #1999 was put in service.

• Upvote 2