5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Well I was at the CTA rodeo today and took alot of pictures of buses and trains. They have received some more #5000 cars at Skokie Shops. (#5527-32) I got pictures of all of the newest ones that are all single cars outside. I didn't see #5509-10 or #5525-26 at the shop unless it was hiding on one of the shop tracks but #5523-24 was inside the shop.

post-304-0-49432200-1410665474_thumb.png

post-304-0-84455500-1410665520_thumb.png

post-304-0-80308000-1410665501_thumb.png

post-304-0-32933300-1410665544_thumb.png

post-304-0-47106100-1410665566_thumb.png

post-304-0-67824000-1410665590_thumb.png

• Upvote 3

Well I was at the CTA rodeo today and took alot of pictures of buses and trains. They have received some more #5000 cars at Skokie Shops. (#5527-32) I got pictures of all of the newest ones that are all single cars outside. I didn't see #5509-10 or #5525-26 at the shop unless it was hiding on one of the shop tracks but #5523-24 was inside the shop.

Imma have to meet up with you one day because that ain't fair you have all access @ Skokie Shop!!!! :lol::P

Imma have to meet up with you one day because that ain't fair you have all access @ Skokie Shop!!!! :lol::P

The key word was "Roadeo." Maybe it was more accessible because of that, although I don't recall it being publicly announced. Probably also explains why 7906 was there instead of 78th.

I haven't heard any news about it myself.

The CTA Tranist Jamboree is NOT a public event so it will not be advertised anywhere. The event is for employees of the transit authority and their families. Retired employees also take part. The Jamboree also has competitions for authority employees in various categories with winners able to compete in national contests. The contests are still named "rodeos." I posted a review about what happened on Saturday....."CTA 92 Year-Old Historical Cars Ran Saturday, Sept. 13."

attachicon.gifcta 5527 skokie shops.PNG

attachicon.gifcta 5528 skokie shops.PNG

attachicon.gifcta 5529 skokie shops.PNG

attachicon.gifcta 5530 skokie shops.PNG

attachicon.gifcta 5531 skokie shops.PNG

attachicon.gifcta 5532 skokie shops.PNG

5509-5510 was in service on the Dan Ryan on Friday.

The CTA Tranist Jamboree is NOT a public event so it will not be advertised anywhere. The event is for employees of the transit authority and their families. Retired employees also take part. The Jamboree also has competitions for authority employees in various categories with winners able to compete in national contests. The contests are still named "rodeos." I posted a review about what happened on Saturday....."CTA 92 Year-Old Historical Cars Ran Saturday, Sept. 13."

Gotcha! Thanks!

Just saw a report on Twitter of a bomb thread @ Roosevelt requiring all subways to be evacuated. That explains why I just saw a 5000-series red line on the elevated tracks out my back door. It leads me to wonder, however, how are the subways evacuated? Do they run all trains express out of the tunnels to expedite getting everybody out, or do they evacuate through one of the emergency tunnel exits or a station?

Briman94, its hard to answer your question because your question has no relation to 5000-Deliveries. I'm make a new topic where I'll post your answer.

DH

Ok. I wasn't sure if it was a big enough question to post a new thread, and I was a bit preoccupied and had this tab open already. I'll take a look at the new thread.

Did they have "Kimball" signs? Wish I could have seen that! They may be training them for brownage trains when the Orange line gets the 5000s (as it's scheduled next).

...if it is.

Quick two cents on this prior discussion, Tracy Swartz's RedEye column from about a week after you guys' discussion I think mentioned a possibility of Orange not getting 5000s either when speaking on the 3200s getting a rehab as part of speeding up and smoothing out service on the Orange Line.

Back to the correct thread:

Couldn't they just ship them from NY into Illinois via freight like Union Pacific or CSX and once they reach a certain destination in Illinois, they are trucked in on flatbeds? The flatcars designed to hold trailers on the freight trains should be able to hold one railcar each and if you line them up in a train hauling 100+ cars from NY through here, they can haul 6 or more cars if completed and ready to go at Bombardier.

That's essentially how L cars used to be shipped to CTA, but in the pictures in the various books, there were mainline rail connections to the Chicago & North Shore and CTA had its own unloading ramp at Skokie Shops.

Those connections with CTA are long gone, but I don't see any reason they couldn't be shipped by rail to some intermodal terminal. Maybe Bombardier, which undoubtedly has the duty of shipping them FOB Skokie Shops, hasn't figured it out, hard as it is for me to conceive.

Most automobiles are carried by this type of rail car, which, for instance, one can see lined up outside the Ford plant in Hegewisch.