5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Same scenarios but different direction! Hey, at least that's the right run number! :lol: Courtesy of #5375.

I'm beginning to think this may be an issue of "hmm...the red wire connects to the black wire, right?" :lol: I wonder why we're all of a sudden seeing so many of these. I've seen three or four instances of no-front-sign this month myself.
  • Upvote 2

I'm beginning to think this may be an issue of "hmm...the red wire connects to the black wire, right?" :lol: I wonder why we're all of a sudden seeing so many of these. I've seen three or four instances of no-front-sign this month myself.

Maybe it was a ghost since Halloween is getting closer! :lol:

Well, the vandals were finally caught, but from the looks of these photos, #5457-58 will never look the same again. Absolutely ridiculous.

If those cars will never look the same how about upon conviction the guilty parties be fined an amount equal to the cost wrapping the cars for the rest of their service lives [~35years?]. :angry:

If those cars will never look the same how about upon conviction the guilty parties be fined an amount equal to the cost wrapping the cars for the rest of their service lives [~35years?]. :angry:

Wrapping is never a permanent solution. However, since the cars are stainless steel, it should be possible to clean them.

I noted above that "fine" is irrelevant if CTA is going to sue them for civil judgment in the hundreds of thousands.

Wrapping is never a permanent solution. However, since the cars are stainless steel, it should be possible to clean them.

I noted above that "fine" is irrelevant if CTA is going to sue them for civil judgment in the hundreds of thousands.

The lawsuit may be better if funds can be recovered. The reason I thought of wrapping the cars is because I think the cleaners

tend to leave a "dull" look where the markings were removed.

Just got on a train led by 5545. Its class lights were on but its signs were out. 5546 had the signs. I think the CTA needs to call the ghost busters!

Maybe the number 45 is haunted. 5545 and 5345 have it... Can't remember which purple line had it but it was probably 5445 :lol:

Just got on a train led by 5545. Its class lights were on but its signs were out. 5546 had the signs. I think the CTA needs to call the ghost busters!

Maybe the number 45 is haunted. 5545 and 5345 have it... Can't remember which purple line had it but it was probably 5445 :lol:

Nope, it's not #5445 because I just saw it on Harrison after I left from school.

I was on a purple line 5000 train tonight and I swear the driver had no clue how to drive a 5000. They were constantly throwing the throttle between max power and brake (I could hear the handle hitting the stops at either end...) when stopping at a station and then somehow managed to bypass the "smooth stop" thing so that every stop just about knocked everybody over...

I was on a purple line 5000 train tonight and I swear the driver had no clue how to drive a 5000. They were constantly throwing the throttle between max power and brake (I could hear the handle hitting the stops at either end...) when stopping at a station and then somehow managed to bypass the "smooth stop" thing so that every stop just about knocked everybody over...

Well I swear.

Writing from personal experience, you can not hear the controller handle hitting the ends of the brake or power, it a smooth transition. What you probably heard was the controller going from coast to power or to brake. Now with the light rain/snow, the train might have been sliding and if it was, then you have to do that to gain control of the train or you slide right by the station. The 5000's are well know to slide even in the lightest of rain.

So the person operating the train, knew what they were doing.

Well I swear.

Writing from personal experience, you can not hear the controller handle hitting the ends of the brake or power, it a smooth transition. What you probably heard was the controller going from coast to power or to brake. Now with the light rain/snow, the train might have been sliding and if it was, then you have to do that to gain control of the train or you slide right by the station. The 5000's are well know to slide even in the lightest of rain.

So the person operating the train, knew what they were doing.

I must have just been hearing it moving into/out of coast, but he was definitely overcompensating in either direction. I could feel it reaching near full acceleration and then near full braking rapidly, whereas I would expect most drivers to use partial braking if they're undershooting the station, especially if it's prone to sliding. It didn't feel like we were sliding at all, but I've never driven a (real) train, so I could be wrong.

Am I correct in thinking the only series over the years without four consequtive numbers would be 8888? i don;t remember if there was a 7777

Was a 7777 with the 1973 New Looks. The NABI artics didn't get that high (up to 7725).

Pace, being superstitious, still didn't have a problem with bus 6666.

Maybe the better betting proposition (which probably won't pay off until 2027) is whether the 7000s L car order ever gets that far.

Thinking it over, I don't think CTA got up to 9999 on Old Flyers (something like 9974). Any 8888 would have been Pace, as you point out, since the 1963 CTA propanes went up to 8849.